BtT: Easily customizing your splash screen for JAM, PDA2k

Search This thread

BeyondtheTech

Jan 28, 2005
New Jersey
www.beyondthetech.com
What you'll need:
  • CAB editor, such as OCP WinCE CAB Manager
    Madkat's WM2k3 Boot Image Tool (attached)
    Adobe Photoshop or other image editor
    a compatible HTC device such as the Magician or Blue Angel

Summary:
  • Customized SplashX.nb files to be installed in \Windows directory of your device

Included:
  • Customizable Splash2.psd file for use with Adobe Photoshop

Steps:
  • 1. Change the Splash2.psd file as necessary, then save a 24-bit BMP file called Splash2.bmp.
    2. Use Madkat's Tool to convert the BMP file to an NB file.
    3. Use the CAB editor to replace the Splash2.nb file with your version. WinCE CAB Manager may state an "Unspecified Error" when replacing the file. Instead, delete the original file, then drag the new NB file into the CAB file, hardcoding the \Windows folder as the install destination.
    4. Save the CAB file and run it on your device!

Magician devices have only one splash screen, and it must be saved as Splash2.nb.

Blue Angel devices have two splash screens, Splash1.nb and Splash2.nb. Use the above steps to incorporate both splash screens as necessary.

Splash screens will be retained even after a hard reset, so use this after the Anansky's Big Storage hack, or if you just want to personalize your device, such as in the unfortunate event that it's lost or stolen - unless they know this trick, they won't be able to get rid of it!

Have fun!

Attachments

• madkatwm2k3bootimagetool.rar
    112.4 KB · Views: 5,218
  • splash2_820.jpg
    splash2_820.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 3,915
  • jamsplashscreenfiles.zip
    238.6 KB · Views: 3,835

hshortt

Jan 15, 2004
Ireland
www.howardshortt.com
Maybe it's just me, but I've read this post here and at Howardforums and I'm clearly missing something.

I've only ever used the nb_image_converter_859_418.exe to convert "any" bmp to the Splash2.NB file.

Then I drop that into my Windows Folder and use MDA3_bootimage_changer2.cab to apply the file. (Yes I'm using a Magician with this file!)

Soft reset and that's that. No need to do any cab file editing.

Cheers
Howard

PS. I've have both tools on my pc and can repost them, but they are from this site!

ratcom

Mar 1, 2005
Nottingham, England
hshortt said:
Maybe it's just me, but I've read this post here and at Howardforums and I'm clearly missing something.

I've only ever used the nb_image_converter_859_418.exe to convert "any" bmp to the Splash2.NB file.

Then I drop that into my Windows Folder and use MDA3_bootimage_changer2.cab to apply the file. (Yes I'm using a Magician with this file!)

Cheers
Howard
Tried that way myself a while ago but for some reason it refused to work for me? :( (could of been the fact i used a file called XDA2_bootimage_changer.CAB)?? anyway now I can use self contained cabs so I make some splash's for my friends ;)
PS. I've have both tools on my pc and can repost them, but they are from this site!

bakman

May 30, 2005
it must be me, but what cab file are we using here ?

3. Use the CAB editor to replace the Splash2.nb file with your version. WinCE CAB Manager may state an "Unspecified Error" when replacing the file. Instead, delete the original file, then drag the new NB file into the CAB file, hardcoding the \Windows folder as the install destination.

:?: :idea: :!: :?:

htvi

Feb 19, 2005
minsk-rotterdam
www.clubmusic.ru

well, i'm using resco file explorer. i'm choosing on my pc to send the file to windows directory. he ask's me if i wanna overwrite it, i click yes and then it's done. i'm reloading, but still qtek logo on the screen(( what am i doing wrong?

ps. i tried to use WinCE CAB Manager but i didn't figured out how to use the program....

update:
oh, i needed to use a different file...
thanks guys! well done)

pongster

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 15, 2005
Quezon City
www.facebook.com
hshortt said:

Cheers
Howard

hi, can't seem to download the attachments, could you repost them?

MrMacMax

Oct 2, 2003
If you don't like Bill's Stuff...

Attachments

• bootlogo.jpg
    bootlogo.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 2,154
  • bootlogochanger.zip
    330.6 KB · Views: 2,096

yarod_g14

Jul 13, 2004
I wonder if anyone can put some help my way.....
I used the xda2 image changer before and I had custom images on my XDA2.
I use this and all I get is a black screen on startup. If I open the .nb file with the converter it shows as it should. (this same .nb works on my XDA2!)
I now have a plain black boot up screen!!
DOH!!!!

Any ideas......?
THanks

maraqm

May 29, 2005
First i had the t-mobile splash... wich i didn't like.
Now, whatever bootsplash cab i make, or download here.. after running it, my bootscreen stays blank ( as in black ).

oh well... its an improvement over t-mobile pink ;)

( or is it because i'm running an ancient rom : 1.01.00 WWE ?, only have the device for 3 days... will be upgrading this weekend tho )

Intoxicate

Dec 7, 2004
Here are my 2 favourites Splashscreens.
The blue one ist for the silver Magician, the darker one is for the new O2 XDA mini (black edition).

Attachments

• myo2splashscreenblack.txt
    335.8 KB · Views: 519
  • myo2splashscreen.txt
    335.8 KB · Views: 670
  • o2_boot.jpg
    o2_boot.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,429
  • o2_boot_black.jpg
    o2_boot_black.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,535

Perjan

Aug 1, 2005
Rotterdam
Hi I've editted the o2 logo here's the jpg file

I tried to upload the psd so you can edit it but it doesn't work, to bad!

Attachments

• h2o_boot_320_blank.jpg
    h2o_boot_320_blank.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,391

duke911

Apr 11, 2005
SF Bay area
Awesome...
I saw this before, but I have just tried it... and it is really cool 8) ... it gives the device a whole new look...
thanks BTT

Artosoft

Feb 10, 2005
www.geocities.com
My way to splash changer.

Hi,

I thanks to BTT for Splash Changer how to. But it is troublesome to everytime run WinCE cab manager in order to put Splash2.nb to the .cab file.

I try to remove Splash2.nb from the .cab file (and renamed the .cab to splash_changer.cab). Afterthat, put the Splash2.nb manually to \windows on PPC. Voila....., no need to everytime run WinCE cab manager!!!!!

Process:
1. Edit .bmp file to your like (Must be 240x320 pixels, 24bit).
2. Use nb_image_converter_859_418 to convert .bmp file to .nb, and change the .nb file to Splash2.nb.
3. Put Splash2.nb file directly to your \windows on PPC. You can do activesync and explore it.
4. Put splash_changer.cab to \temp for you to easier found it.
5. Run file explorer on PPC, and tap on splash_changer.cab.
6. Done! You can check by soft reset the PPC.

Hope it is helpful!

Regards,
Arto.

Attachments

• splash_changer.cab
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,963