Budget Wireless Charger Showdown: 5 Qi Chargers all $11 - $15

Search This thread

dehsA

Oct 31, 2012
Bangkok
I don't have much luck with the Q8. Half the time it doesn't charge or it takes quite a while to finally start charging.

On the other hand, the rectangular one with the green and red LEDs work extremely well. Charges instantly and the size is just right.

I'm still liking my two DT-900s the most though.

Old_Curmudgeon

Apr 25, 2014
QI charging base problem.

mmmmBacon,I really appreciate the effort that you have put into this comparison.. I’m curious if you or someone else can help me understand a problem that I am having with my Note 3, its QI receiver and a 5v/1A QI charging base that requires a 5v/2A source. When I set it up the phone appears to connect and disconnect. It stays on for 3-5 seconds and may momentarily disconnect (or take 5-10 seconds to reconnect.). The blue charging/connected indicator on the base remains on but does appear to flicker. Both the base power lamp and the base charging/connected indicator lamp are very dim but I believe that that is the design. This is a charger that I bought on eBay from a Chinese vendor. It is the flat rectangular type with two indicator LEDs that you can’t see unless they are on.

I have tried the phone on a different QI base and it remains connected so I believe that I have exonerated the phone and the charging receiver.

I have used two 2A micro USB AC adapters and one 2.4A micro USB AC adapter. Each performed the same. Out of sheer frustration, I tried a 180ma charger and it too had the same performance.

I have a video that demonstrates the behavior posted on photobucket but, as a newbie, I can't post the hyperlink. Feel free to email me for it.

(Sorry it is so dark)

Questions that come to mind:
1) How likely is it that the base is defective?
2) Can the USB cord affect the amps delivered to the base? (Even though the indicator lamps light up?)
3) Is this behavior indicative of any particular problem?

Mike

dave2metz

Oct 10, 2010
Clearwater, Florida
My first QI Wireless Charger was delivered a few hours ago. I was going to post a link and a short review, but I realized it is the same charger you reviewed in the OP. It is the generic rectangle with 2 LED's. $12.00 shipped you can't go wrong! Only having it for a short time, I'd say it looks good and it charges my Nexus 5 so that helps... I'll maybe update later.

NEXUS 5

bpollina

Sep 13, 2008
In the first post, you mention replacing the cables with good quality ones.

My kids keep breaking the cheap ones I find.

Who has good quality cables?

What do you recommend size wise?

I've used 3 ft and is it 6 ft?

Links if you have them. US preferred. Thanks.

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
mmmmBacon,I really appreciate the effort that you have put into this comparison.. I’m curious if you or someone else can help me understand a problem that I am having with my Note 3, its QI receiver and a 5v/1A QI charging base that requires a 5v/2A source. When I set it up the phone appears to connect and disconnect. It stays on for 3-5 seconds and may momentarily disconnect (or take 5-10 seconds to reconnect.). The blue charging/connected indicator on the base remains on but does appear to flicker. Both the base power lamp and the base charging/connected indicator lamp are very dim but I believe that that is the design. This is a charger that I bought on eBay from a Chinese vendor. It is the flat rectangular type with two indicator LEDs that you can’t see unless they are on.

I have tried the phone on a different QI base and it remains connected so I believe that I have exonerated the phone and the charging receiver.

I have used two 2A micro USB AC adapters and one 2.4A micro USB AC adapter. Each performed the same. Out of sheer frustration, I tried a 180ma charger and it too had the same performance.

I have a video that demonstrates the behavior posted on photobucket but, as a newbie, I can't post the hyperlink. Feel free to email me for it.

(Sorry it is so dark)

Questions that come to mind:
1) How likely is it that the base is defective?
2) Can the USB cord affect the amps delivered to the base? (Even though the indicator lamps light up?)
3) Is this behavior indicative of any particular problem?

Mike

Well I can't answer specific information with regards to that phone/receiver combo as I did all of my tests using my Nexus 5, but for general information I can do my best to help you out.

What USB cable are you using? You didn't specify that part, so that may be a cause of your problems as well. The AC Adapter is very important, but if you do not use a USB cable that supports a higher current, your Qi Pad won't receive the proper power regardless of if you have a 2A or 10A AC Adapter. Many cheaper cables that ship with Qi chargers don't support anything higher than around 500mA. So despite a 2A Adapter, the Qi charger is only receiving a 500mA current, that in turn will barely power the Qi charger (if at all), let alone provide any decent output current.

What you described with the lights flickering on and off and difficulty connecting/staying connected to me sounds like it is either being underpowered, or unfortunately is a defective unit.

So for your questions:

1) If you have tried everything; powering the charger with different AC Adapters, different USB cables, and the phone works on a different Qi Pad, it is likely that the one you received is defective unfortunately.

2) The USB cable absolutely can affect the amps delivered! That's why in the OP I mentioned the first thing I did was replace the USB cables with better cables. If you have a good AC Adapter, you also need to have a good USB cable as many cheaper cables will only support around 500mA, regardless of how much current is available.

3) The behaviour to me seems like it is either being underpowered or is defective. Hopefully it's the former and not the latter. If you haven't tried different USB cables, see if you can get your hands on one that you know supports a higher current. If you have already done that, then it is most likely defective and you should ask for a refund or replacement.

In the first post, you mention replacing the cables with good quality ones.

My kids keep breaking the cheap ones I find.

Who has good quality cables?

What do you recommend size wise?

I've used 3 ft and is it 6 ft?

Links if you have them. US preferred. Thanks.

Since you are in the US, the cheapest solution for cables that support a high current are the Monoprice Premium USB Cables. Make sure you choose the Premium cables, as their normal ones do not support a high current. They also have lifetime replacement warranty on their cables, so if you have any issues they will send you new ones free.

Also, you need to make sure you have a good AC Adapter that provides enough power to the Qi Charger.

I made a thread about the 1.8A Blackberry Folding Blade Charger. If you don't want to worry about finding both AC Adapters and Cables separately, it is a good all in one solution for powering most Qi chargers (as well as charging your phone ridiculously fast if necessary). It is also very cheap since you live in the US. $5 for 2, or $6 for 3.

I mentioned that I only use them for my 1.5A input Qi chargers, but I had absolutely no problems using them as well for my 2A input Qi chargers. They seemed to be fully powered and working the same as using my 2A AC Adapters.

Last edited:

buckwild1

Oct 29, 2012
Virginia
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip
I got my Qi slanted charger yesterday and for some reason it will not stick without a case on it. Not a big problem, i just thought it kinda strange.
On a good note I'm using the Blackberry folding blade charger i had from my playbook and it charges fairly fast.
@ mmmmBacon thank you for your thorough review!☺

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

fedor12

Mar 24, 2013
I got my 2a chargers today they are the ones where the cable is actually attached to the plug so no detachable usb cable, pretty weird though they dont actually work on my puck qi charger i think it's too powerful for the puck as on the back of that it states 1500mA input. When connected the qi flashes with a yellow light but strangely they did actually work for a bit i think when i plugged it in halfway bit now not even thats working so a warning to those who want to use a more powerful mains charger than the qi stated input on some it may not work

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

A minute after writing my previous post its working again now so not really sure whats going on lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Edward Stanbury

Dec 8, 2011
Paraparaumu Beach, Kapiti
Got this bad boy today haha it performs quite well on the stock 1.2a charger + cable with a case on my phone to top it off, had to put some tape on the back to get some more grip but apart from that im pretty pleased with this cheap buy :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1398480554865.jpg
    1398480554865.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 234

nwy

Jun 7, 2009
Eastbourne
Ebay £8.25 include P&P Qi ultra thin triangle shape charger

Got this. Nice ultra thin charger in triangle shape with rubber pad. Looks nice, works well. Available in 4 colours.

With patented especially designed ventilation holes at the back of the charging mat, perfect heat dissipation.
High power, quick-acting charging.
Smart control, turning into hibernation while no receiver is connected.
Short-circuit protection of the receiver to avoid overcharge & overheating, security and reliable.
With anti-skid four feet for stable placement.
Ultrathin, lightweight and portable, good for using at home, office, public area, etc.

To find it search for : "QI A3 Mobile Wireless Charger"

Attachments

• 71NEc5BuwwL._SL1500_.jpg
    71NEc5BuwwL._SL1500_.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 231
  • 71QVkS2iBSL._SL1500_.jpg
    71QVkS2iBSL._SL1500_.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 912091057_272.jpg
    912091057_272.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 216
  • 878172052_353.jpg
    878172052_353.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 230

Kenneth196

Nov 14, 2010
Texas
I ordered mine (Q8) on the 15th and mine arrived on the 26th (shipped to Texas), just to give an idea of how long it takes from AliExpress.

Geo2160

Jan 2, 2012
What receiver would I but to get QI charging on my dad's S2? I mainly only see receivers labeled for s3/s4 and Note2. Which would be best?

The SGS2 does not have the required pogo pins for an inductive charging receiver. I don't think you can have internal inductive charging receivers for it. Look at this picture:

http://cdn.gsmarena.com/vv/reviewsimg/samsung-i9505-galaxy-s4/phone/gsmarena_024.jpg

Those 2 pins to the left of the flash LED are used for inductive charging receivers, like so:

http://fasttechcdn.com/products/135/1355305/1355305-3.jpg

Plumeex

Feb 25, 2014
Paris
Got my Q8 this morning (i took 20 days to ship to France)! It's very well made and doesn't look cheap.

It's a bit different from mmmmBACON's; the DEL is red, doesn't blink and only turns on when the phone is charging. So it consumes less energy (and also stops when the phone reaches 100%, which is AWESOME).

Speed is fine with a 2.1A adapter + the cable provided. Also, it doesn't overheat at all, even with WiFi on...
Sometimes it has trouble detecting my phone but once it did, I can move it around a bit without getting out of the range.

Only con so far: without a case, my Nexus 4 slowly slips and gets out of the charging range... (even worse, it fell on my desk while vibrating). But with the case on it's fine (Nillkin Premium Matte, which is pretty slippery, so I guess any case will do the job).

Thanks for the reviews! :)

Last edited:

dehsA

Oct 31, 2012
Bangkok
Got my Q8 this morning (i took 20 days to ship to France)! It's very well made and doesn't look cheap.

It's a bit different from mmmmBACON's; the DEL is red, doesn't blink and only turns on when the phone is charging. So it consumes less energy (and also stops when the phone reaches 100%, which is AWESOME).

Speed is fine with a 2.1A adapter + the cable provided. Also, it doesn't overheat at all, even with WiFi on...
Sometimes it has trouble detecting my phone but once he did, I can move it around a bit without getting out of the range.

Only con so far: without a case, my Nexus 4 slowly slips and gets out of the charging range... (even worse, it fell on my desk while vibrating). But with the case on it's fine (Nillkin Premium Matte, which is pretty slippery, so I guess any case will do the job).

Thanks for the reviews! :)
Link?

Kenneth196

Nov 14, 2010
Texas
Received my Q8 as well and its exactly as Plumeex described. Red LED only when phones is charging. I'm impressed.

However, the bottom states "Input: DC5V - 2A".

I thought the input was 1.5A..??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **EDIT: If you're looking for a good way to power these Qi chargers without having to worry about finding a good USB cable, or a good AC adapter, see my Folding Blade Charger thread here: http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/accessories/hands-best-fastest-nexus-5-charger-t2729066

S6vW5c7.jpg

So, if you’ve read some of my other accessory review threads you probably already know something about me. I generally don’t care about brand names (except if a proper NEXUS branded hardcase existed), have no brand loyalty, and I generally like to look for deals! I fit in the category of “best bang for the buck!” I guess that’s why I own a Nexus 5, and love those $0.99 Quicksand cases! I wanted to see if the mentality of high quality for low price could be applied to other accessories as well.

So here I have 5 different Qi chargers (well 10 actually, slight wireless charging addiction, I have 2 of each type). All of these share one common aspect, LOW price. Each of these Qi chargers ranged in price from just over $11 to just under $15 shipped. They all share the same DC 5V 1A output current, and only differ in input current. Two chargers require input of DC 5V 1.5A, and the other three require input of DC 5V 2A. None of these are brand name Qi chargers, but again, that doesn’t concern me. If the charger is of high quality, has good performance, and a low price; I don’t care what brand name is stamped on it. I’m going for best bang for the buck, not brand recognition.

These chargers also do not come in retail packaging as they are generally sold directly from factory. To keep costs down, they are simply mailed in bubble wrap packaging, and sold without any extras. As they are also coming from overseas, expect shipping time of about 3 weeks.

Setup:

So this isn’t going to be overly scientific, but it will give a nice ballpark figure of roughly how each Qi charger performs.

The first thing I did was replaced the USB cables. The included cables that come with Qi chargers are generally crap and won’t support a high current. Usually they are limited to 500mA and below when wired charging, so wireless would probably be even worse.

For each test the phone was brought down to 14% battery remaining (when the “connect charger” popup warning appeared). I didn’t choose 0% – 100% as I never let my phone battery drain completely (I usually don’t even let it get down to 14%). The phone was then turned off for 5 minutes to let it cool down. Once the phone was rebooted, no applications were launched, and the phone was placed in airplane mode. During charging, the screen was turned on momentarily every 15 minutes to check progress, but otherwise remained off.

To minimize any possible interference between the charger and the phone, no cases were used on the phone during any of the charging cycles. This was to make sure the phone made direct contact with the chargers and the receiver in the phone was as close to the coils as possible.

To make sure that it was only the Qi chargers being tested; the same 2A micro USB AC adapter was used with each of the 5 Qi chargers. Yes, the picture above has them each plugged into their own individual power adapters, but I just did that for the picture! :) To eliminate the possibility of slight variations between AC adapters; I used the same one for all of the chargers. This would also ensure that regardless of if the Qi charger required 1.5A input, or 2A input, the AC adapter would fully power all of the Qi chargers.

Summary:

- 2A micro USB AC Adapter (same one used for all chargers)
    - Qi chargers (from left to right): Rectangle w/o LEDs, Tilted, Q8, Q5, Rectangle w/LEDs (all in the $11 - $15 shipped range)
    - Replaced included USB cables with better USB cables
    - 14% Battery at start
    - Airplane Mode

NPgk5X4.jpg

Qi Charger - Rectangle w/o LEDs

2PhWsN3.jpg

Price: $11.42 (at time of purchase) (Currently: $8.77)
    Input: DC 5V 2A
    Output: DC 5V 1A
    Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Qi-Wireless...l_Phone_PDA_Chargers&var=&hash=item2eca536173

Description:

This was the cheapest of all of the Qi chargers I purchased (I believe it’s even cheaper now). It is also the largest of all of the Qi chargers I’ve got. I’m not going to lie, it doesn’t scream premium by any stretch of the imagination. It’s very light and hollow, mediocre build quality, uses a quite cheap plastic casing, and when I popped it open, there is almost nothing inside of it. So they could have made it much smaller, but I won’t complain about that, it’s stable and can fit any size phone without having to balance anything. It also does not contain a speaker, so there is no annoying beep coming from the charger when you place your phone on it.

The area of recognition is also pretty forgiving. You can just place the phone down roughly on the middle of the charger and it will pick up the phone and charge without any issues. The “Q5” Charger (shaped like a puck) for example, is a bit pickier and requires more care with phone placement, or it may not recognize that the phone is on the charger.

Performance wise, despite being the cheapest of the lot, it almost took top spot for overall charging time. So while this charger won’t win any awards for best in class build quality, I can’t argue with the results. This charger does its job pretty well. It’s simple, straight forward, and easy to use. Don't expect to be impressed at all when you pick it up though.

One drawback (depends on your preference) is that there is no LED on the charger at all. So the only way you will know it is connected, is from the sound your phone makes when you place it on the charger (or looking at the screen of course).

Time:

00:00:00 – 14%
    00:15:00 – 24% (+10%)
    00:30:00 – 35% (+11%)
    00:45:00 – 46% (+11%)
    01:00:00 – 55% (+09%)
    01:15:00 – 64% (+09%)
    01:30:00 – 73% (+09%)
    01:45:00 – 80% (+07%)
    02:00:00 – 88% (+08%)
    02:03:01 – 90% (Good time to stop during the day)
    02:15:00 – 94% (+06%)
    02:30:00 – 98% (+04%)
    02:35:32 – 100%

Highest Current Recorded: 766mA

Build Quality: Mediocre/Average
    Performance: Excellent
    Price (at time of purchase): Excellent

Qi Charger - Tilted

4b5kNjK.jpg

Price: $14.83 (At time of purchase) (Currently: $9.82)
    Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K0E6R5S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Description:

I made a whole other thread about this charger a while back. There’s already a lot of info and discussion about this one there. So if you want to read up on that, here is the thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2611246

It provided the highest current of all of the Qi chargers. The overall charging time though, placed it in 3rd place. This was negligible really, as the top 3 chargers all completed charging within the same minute of each other.

Time:

00:45:00 – 45% (+10%)
    01:00:00 – 55% (+10%)
    01:30:00 – 72% (+08%)
    01:45:00 – 79% (+07%)
    02:00:00 – 87% (+08%)
    02:05:51 – 90% (Good time to stop during the day)
    02:15:00 – 93% (+06%)
    02:30:00 – 98% (+05%)
    02:35:47 – 100%

Highest Current Recorded: 796mA

Build Quality: Average
    Price (at time of purchase): Good

Qi Charger – Q8

s9Cybt5.jpg

There seems to be reports of different versions of this charger now appearing, with possibly different build quality and performance... Some with a slightly different design, and some with a Red LED which operates differently than the one I tested. I can only vouch for the specific charger I used. Do your own research on this charger/sellers please before ordering, as I have no experience with any of the other versions.

I suggest if you are hesitating on this, to choose the "Rectangle w/LEDs" at the bottom of my list. It is built well, has excellent performance, and a very good area of recognition. It also has a nice large surface to fit any size phone and tablet stably.

Price: $12.00 (At time of purchase) (Currently: $12.80)
    Input: DC 5V 1.5A
    Link: They no longer carry the version I used in this review, and all reports of the new version (w/red LED) point to it being of lesser performance. I have removed the link. If you still would like a Q8, please do your own search and infer with the seller as to which version they carry.

Description:

I really like the design of this charger. It’s not super tiny but also not huge, and it’s got a classier look to it. It is a shiny plastic, so it does pick up fingerprints pretty easily. The overall design is very minimalist and unobtrusive, so it blends in nicely with the surroundings. It is also the thinnest of the Qi chargers in the bunch, and is slightly thinner than the Nexus 5! The build quality is solid and well made, no creaking, and does not feel as if it can be damaged easily.

It contains a blue LED that isn’t blindingly bright. It is on all the time when powered, and flashes all the time when a phone is connected. The unfortunate part about the LED is that it does not stop blinking when the phone reaches 100% charge, the LED continues to blink regardless of if it is charging or not. So in this case, the LED is only an indication of a connected phone, not whether or not the phone is charging. On the plus side, it is a softer blue light, so it does not disturb me either way.

Another thing about this charger is that there is no rubber top or a non-slip surface that prevents the phone from moving around. So putting the Naked Nexus 5 on the charger, with its slightly curved back, allows the phone to rock around a bit (a TPU case, bumper, flat case will remedy this). The 2 larger rectangle Qi chargers (w/o LEDs and w/ LEDs) also do not have rubber/non-slip surfaces, but since they are larger chargers, there is more surface area for stability. There is still no problem with charging, and the recognition area is pretty good, but it’s something to keep in mind.

The performance of this charger is excellent. While it didn’t provide the highest current at any given time, it was the fastest overall charger (again, we’re talking only seconds between 1st and 3rd place).

Time:

00:45:00 – 44% (+09%)
    01:00:00 – 54% (+10%)
    01:15:00 – 63% (+09%)
    01:30:00 – 71% (+08%)
    01:45:00 – 78% (+07%)
    02:00:00 – 86% (+08%)
    02:05:27 – 90% (Good time to stop during the day)
    02:15:00 – 93% (+07%)
    02:35:12 – 100%

Highest Current Recorded: 770mA

Build Quality: Excellent

Qi Charger – Q5

VN5naV7.jpg

Price: $12.80 (At time of purchase) (Currently: $11.91)
    Input: DC 5V 1.5A
    Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Qi-Wireles...l_Phone_PDA_Chargers&var=&hash=item2ecaf65ffa

Description:

This is a Qi charger that I’m sure many people here already have. It’s small, solid, and built decently. The rubber ring on the top prevents the phone from moving around excessively, but if you have a large phone it still can wiggle around a bit. Turning the screen on, or checking the phone when it is on the charger can be a bit tricky, but no big deal. Really, all you need to do with these chargers is pick up the phone, do your thing, and then put it back down. The rubber ring really does help with such a small charger to keep things relatively stable.

This particular version of the puck charger did not contain a speaker (lucky me) so I did not have to take it apart to disconnect it. It also contains a blue LED, but unlike the Q8 charger above, this Q5 charger contains an LED that is ridiculously bright… If you look at it directly, it is actually quite painful. I put black electrical tape over it out of necessity and eye protection. Like the Q8 charger, this LED blinks when the phone is connected, but also does not stop blinking when it reaches 100%. So again, the blinking light is only to signify a phone is connected to the charger.

The area of recognition for this charger is not as large as the others. It does require more careful placement to ensure the charger recognizes that the phone is connected. If it is a little off centre, it may not connect, or it may connect but charge at a slower speed. This is a bit unfortunate as sometimes it will make the connection sound and begin charging, but does so slowly. You may leave it on for half an hour and realize it has only charged 5% or so. I found that with this particular charger, I would find myself using CurrentWidget quite often just to see if it was providing the proper current.

The performance of the Q5 is okay when it connects properly. But I found myself using it less than the others because I had to be more careful with how I placed the phone on it. It also, unfortunately took the bottom spot in overall charging time, a little over 2 minutes slower than the Q8 in 1st place. Of course, 2 minutes isn’t exactly a high performance delta, but it is the widest margin so far.

Time:

00:15:00 – 23% (+09%)
    00:30:00 – 34% (+11%)
    00:45:00 – 43% (+09%)
    01:00:00 – 53% (+10%)
    01:15:00 – 63% (+10%)
    01:30:00 – 71% (+09%)
    01:45:00 – 77% (+08%)
    02:00:00 – 85% (+08%)
    02:06:12 – 90% (Good time to stop during the day)
    02:15:00 – 91% (+06%)
    02:30:00 – 97% (+06%)
    02:37:29 – 100%

Highest Current Recorded: 768mA

Build Quality: Average/Good
    Performance: Average (due to recognition)

Qi Charger - Large Rectangle w/LEDs:

QJgNUtB.jpg

Price: $12.00 (At time of purchase) (Currently: $9.13)
    Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/QI-Wireless...l_Phone_PDA_Chargers&var=&hash=item2336715c7c

Description:

This was the very first Qi charger I bought back at the launch of the Nexus 5. It has a nice large platform and subtle Red and Green LEDs beneath the top cover. When there is no power you do not know that there are LEDs present, but they lightly shine through the casing when powered on. A second Green LED lights up when the phone is connected. There are no flashing LEDs. Red means it is powered on, Green means a phone is connected.

With a larger Qi charger casing, it means it is easier for the phone to stay stable. Just put it down and that’s it. The area of recognition is also very good on this charger. Like the other Rectangle charger, or the Q8, just place the phone roughly in the middle and it is recognized with no issues. I found that with the size of this charger, and the gentle LEDs facing upward, that it was a good charger to place by my bed. When half asleep, or when it’s dark, just roughly place the phone down generally in the middle and don’t worry about it.

The charger is built decently. Not spectacular, but better than the other rectangle Qi charger. It has good rubber feet, and grilled venting beneath it as well. While the top also does not have a rubber lining or non-slip surface, it is quite a large surface so there are no issues with instability. The performance is good and while it didn’t make the top 3 in overall charge time, it still came in a respectable 4th, around 1 minute behind.

Time:

00:45:00 – 46% (+11%)
    01:00:00 – 55% (+09%)
    01:30:00 – 72% (+08%)
    01:45:00 – 80% (+08%)
    02:00:00 – 88% (+08%)
    02:05:11 – 90% (Good time to stop during the day)
    02:15:00 – 93% (+05%)
    02:36:19 – 100%

Highest Current Recorded: 770mA

Build Quality: Good
    Performance: Good/Excellent

Conclusions:

oFLUCTE.jpg

So what do we actually get from all of this? Well to put it simply, in terms of performance, any Qi charger that is rated at 1A output is going to perform almost identically to one another! If the Qi charger is properly powered and utilizes a good USB cable, it will charge (from 14% - 100%) in roughly two and a half hours.

I mentioned 1st place through 5th place, but really the time difference between all of these Qi chargers was around 2 minutes. The top 3 chargers all finished within 32 seconds of one another. That is extremely consistent and shows that it makes no difference what charger you have, or the price of the charger; if it’s rated at 1A output your performance will generally be the same.

So in my opinion, save yourself a ton of money, and don’t fall for the marketing of expensive Qi chargers. The large markup you see on some chargers, costing $40 - $70 is ridiculous as there is NO performance advantage. Just make sure you look for a charger that provides 1A output, and go from there as that is the only real important criteria.

Of course if you’re going for a charger that’s flashy and you want it to be noticed, then this doesn’t really apply to you. Also, you wouldn’t be in the market for best “bang for the buck” anyway. :p

As for the 5 types I listed here, do they satisfy my bang for the buck mentality? In terms of price, all of them are pretty good, with regards to performance per dollar. The “Tilted” charger being the most “expensive” at the time provided the least bang for the buck, but as it sells for $12.94 now, it’s up there with the rest of them.

Why quit charging at 90?

I said this as a consideration, mostly for if you are busy during the day. If you noticed, with all of the Qi chargers, as soon as the phone reached 90% charge, to complete the remaining 10% generally took an additional 30+ minutes. The current is greatly reduced and the phone tops up slowly. When you are sleeping, and charging your phone overnight, it’s no problem to let it sit there. During the day though, that extra 30+ minutes just to complete the last 10% charge doesn’t really seem worth it.

So, during the day, if you’re busy and charging your phone, quit when it hits 90% and be on your way!

Qi Chargers and Sellers used by other XDA Members:

@keepermike - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-2014-Qi-Wireless-Charger-Charging-Plate-Portable-Power-Charging-Pad-Mini-Charger-Mat-Mobile-Power/1868057244.html ($6.39US)
    Thanks, I did try pulling the rubber ring on both the top and bottom, but I don't see any screws or anything.

BU6zexk.jpg

I will definitely consider some of the other chargers after seeing this review. I originally went with this one because of the small size.

That's odd. This is what mine looks like under the ring:

f3As2ky.jpg

There are also a bunch of people here on XDA who have been modding these ones for the cars, etc.

Great comparison, but I don't suppose you have the time to do another two replicates and a quick 2-tailed unpaired student's t-test (really easy in Excel) to see whether any of these differences between the chargers are statistically significant? Considering how close everything is, it just seems a little arbitrary to rank the time to 100% if it turns out to change from trial to trial. I know it would require a time commitment, but it would definitely give your comparison more authority if the differences are significant.

Well I did mention at the beginning that it wasn't going to be an overly scientific comparison. And doing 2 additional tests for each charger, would equate to roughly 25 additional hours of testing. I don't quite have that kind of free time on hand.

Also, if you read the conclusions I stated, "I mentioned 1st place through 5th place, but really the time difference between all of these Qi chargers was around 2 minutes. The top 3 chargers all finished within 32 seconds of one another. That is extremely consistent and shows that it makes no difference what charger you have, or the price of the charger; if it’s rated at 1A output your performance will generally be the same."

Basically, I only mentioned 1st place through 5th place because I felt like turning it into a competition between them (makes things a little more interesting, however irrelevant), when really the performance between all of them was basically the same that it didn't matter. Spending 25 hours longer, to find additional seconds between them doesn't really seem necessary to me. It could be something I do to update in the future, but as of right now, I'll probably pass. The point of the thread, for me anyway, was just to show that 1A output Qi chargers essentially all perform the same; that there is no point in spending a lot of money, or falling for marketing, when the performance is equivalent at whatever price point. Since it is 1A output, and follows the Qi Standard, performance will be consistent.

Any suggestions on a replacement USB cable? I've heard the AWG is too high on Monoprice Premium cables.

Actually the Monoprice Premium cables are good cables. There are some people here on XDA who use them and can also confirm they allow fast charging. As long as you make sure they are the Premium Cables and not their standard cables.

I meant chargers that are sold by real known companies For example official chargers from Google, Nokia etc.

I realize everything is made in China, but Google for example likely imposes some kind of quality control on this while random seller on eBay can make and sell whatever he wants.

Gotcha.

I've never had a problem with it, so I'm fine with buying generic off of ebay, amazon, etc. They also have decent return/reimbursement policies so I don't really worry.

If you want to buy an official charger, or one from a bigger brand, there's nothing wrong with that, and I'm not saying people shouldn't. I'm just stating that whether or not you buy one that is expensive, name brand, or generic, your performance will be the same, as long as it provides 1A output. You might as well save some money.

I am a Canadian who bought a DT-900 in the States, plus two LG WCP-300s in the States as well (woo Las Vegas vacation).

The DT-900 is rated at 750 mA input, not output. It is also 12 V input, meaning it has an input power of 9 W. A 5 V 1.5 A input charger has an input power of 7.5 W. The 12 V input part is weird compared to all the others, they're all 5 V in.

Where did you read it only outputs 750 mA? I can't find an output spec for the DT-900 anywhere.

I may just have to do some charge time testing of my DT-900 vs my WCP-300 with my Nexus 5.

There are many websites that show 750mA output (Nokia's being the only that doesn't). These are just a few when I did a google search.

http://www.saholic.com/mobile-accessories/nokia-wireless-charger-dt-900-1005825
    http://www.smartprix.com/mobile_chargers/nokia-dt-900-wireless-charging-plate-p1706wyaip8x
    http://www.qiwireless.com/astore/nokia-dt-900-wireless-charging-plate-retail-packaging/
    http://www.expansys.com.hk/nokia-wireless-charging-plate-dt-900-white-257188/

Also, if you look up the Model # for the AC adapter that ships with the DT-900 (AC-301 U or E depending). The specs list: Input 100/240v 50-60Hz 0.3A / output 12V 0.75A. I don't think the plate itself can perform any additional magic to increase output that the AC adapter is providing.

Also, the DT910, which is pretty much a dt900 with a stand has these specs on the Nokia website.
    http://www.nokia.com/global/products/accessory/dt-910/specifications/

Charger output voltage: 12 V
    Charger input current: 300 mA
    Charger output current: 700 mA
    Charger input voltage: 100 - 240 V AC, 50-60 Hz

Awesome, dude! That's about 6 mm which is 1 mm more than the specced 5 mm charging distance. Could you also test the PowerBot puck one? I've been looking more at that one as it's smaller and requires less wood to carve out. The specs on Amazon say that it has a higher charging distance at 8 mm and I'm curious if it lives up to that.

The puck charger increased to 90 sheets of paper. That measured out to be ever so slightly past 7mm. Take into account the rubber ring on the top wich adds an additional gap, and the 8mm claim seems about right.
    You are confusing the Amps. Using a 1.8A Wall charger the output from the Coil will be about 1A. If you used a 500mA Wall charger the output will be next to nothing. Using a 1A Wall charger will get you to about 450mA output. That might be your best bet. I have a 1.2A wall charger connected to a Metrans MWT02 at my desk and I get about 600mA output.

I tried this, and with a 1A charger, and not only did it charge ultra slow, I believe the inductive loop was weakened. After 10% of charging I picked up the phone and the battery was 48C! No no no!!! I had to RMA my device shortly after this.

---------- Post added at 04:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 AM ----------

It turns out (quite surprising really), by my super scientific testing, that you can fit exactly 81 sheets of lined Hilroy loose leaf paper between the charger and the phone, and it will still charge! Haha! :) I figured that would be something you could replicate. Since you are probably going to tear it apart anyway, I did it on the cheapest one, which was the first charger on my list.

Squishing them together and roughly measuring it, gave about a 1/4 inch.

so, what, it stops charging at 82 sheets?

keep in mind it's not the distance or the number of sheets, it's the magnetic permeance

and while "disobedient" might not be the right word, the chinese are definitely notorious for dumping out anything that they think they can sell.
    based on some of the Qi chargers I'm seeing, I can understand why having a licensed consortium makes sense.
    keeps the goofballs out.

---------- Post added at 04:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 AM ----------

To the owners of the Rectangle w/ LEDs, are you experiencing the problem where when it reaches 100%, it stops charging, 2-30 seconds after it charges again then stops charging 2-30 seconds after and just keeps repeating? Is this bad for the battery? Thank you.

yes charge cycles are bad for the battery.
    make sure you have a legitimate Rectangle w/ LEDs version with the rubber feet.

---------- Post added at 04:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 AM ----------

I meant chargers that are sold by real known companies For example official chargers from Google, Nokia etc.

I realize everything is made in China, but Google for example likely imposes some kind of quality control on this while random seller on eBay can make and sell whatever he wants.

I agree, that's true, it's why brands have value and is something America does great. In Europe you never know if the food you're buying is going to be any good-- there are so many mom and pop restaurants there's no brand identity. In America, you know what you're getting from Chipotle, from McD, from any number of chains.
    Downside-- variety.

---------- Post added at 04:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 AM ----------

is there a technical reason as to why the charging points on all these chargers are so small? I have the slanted one, and it's such a pain positioning it exactly in the correct spot to stop constant charging drop-outs that I just unplugged it and put it away in lieu of the cable. Are there any +$15 chargers anyone can recommend that maybe have a much larger area of charging?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_induction
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magfie.html
    a tighter winding makes it easier to create a stronger magnetic field, and thus push more flux. You can send the same flux through a wider area, via a lower magnitude magnetic field, you're going to lose more of your available field magnitude to the air/81 sheets of paper/plastic on top of the charging pad/plastic on back of phone dielectric.

These equations can be modeled like simple electrical circuits, just replace voltage with B (magnetic) field, current with flux, and resistor with dielectric.
    I'm simplifying here, but we'll say the charging coil on the base station is the voltage source (battery). The flux that propagates is limited by the dielectric it has to travel through-- air, back of phone, top of charging station. Each of these we model as a resistor. This is why when you pick the phone up 1" off the pad, it won't charge-- too much 'resistance'-- dielectric-- air to travel through. On the inside of the phone is the mating coil that gets inductively coupled to the charging coil on the base Qi charging station. You want to maximize the magnetic field that is being spent keeping that coil energized, and minimize the magnetic field that is wasted pushing through the dielectric on the way to the phone's Qi coil.
    How does that compare to non-cheap chargers? Are there any charging numbers on those?

Also how safe would be charging N5 constantly with this? I guess there are safety standards in place, but how obedient are those chinese manufacturers?

What is your definition of "non-cheap"? Name brand, price premium? If you look on amazon and other places, you will see these exact chargers with a company brand name slapped on it and a $10 - $50 markup. The only difference between those, and these ones is exactly what you would expect, the price and a few cents extra in ink for branding put on it.

If you can look past the fact that these are generic, you will notice that they are the exact ones you will find elsewhere, without the markup. Basically from the same factories before a company slaps their logo onto it.

For example (Amazon):

Lerway Qi charger (same as the first one on my list) http://www.amazon.com/Lerway-Wireless-Power-Charger-Lumia920/dp/B00E9MUNWU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394513260&sr=8-2&keywords=qi+charger $19.49

Lugalake Qi charger (same as the last one on my list) http://www.amazon.com/New-Arrival-LuguLake-Qi-Enabled-Wireless/dp/B00FXJAISW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1394513340&sr=8-5&keywords=qi+charger $21.99

Powerbot Qi charger (same as the puck) http://www.amazon.com/PowerBot®-Com...F8&qid=1394513457&sr=8-21&keywords=qi+charger $23.99

These were just the ones at the top of the list when I did a quick search on amazon. They are the exact same Qi chargers, with markups because of branding and retailers.

The charging numbers will be exactly the same as well. If they are 1A output and follow the Qi standard, they will perform the same. That's essentially why it is a standard. That was really the point of this thread. To show that the performance of a 1A output Qi charger, is basically the same no matter what charger you buy. So there is no reason to order a name brand charger, or a more expensive one, because there will be no performance benefit.

Also, I basically charge exclusively using Qi chargers now (except when I'm in the car, I use wired) and I haven't had a single problem. And as for the Chinese manufacturers, you have to realize, everything is made in China. Even the Official Google Wireless Charger is made in China. I don't think you needed to throw in the "obedient" part. There are just as many shady American companies, Korean companies, etc. You can't generalize an entire Country like that.

I would love if you could test the charging distance of those as I'm trying to integrate a cheap wireless charger into my nightstand and wonder how much wood I can get away with having between the charger and the phone.

Done and done.

It turns out (quite surprising really), by my super scientific testing, that you can fit exactly 81 sheets of lined Hilroy loose leaf paper between the charger and the phone, and it will still charge! Haha! :) I figured that would be something you could replicate. Since you are probably going to tear it apart anyway, I did it on the cheapest one, which was the first charger on my list.

Squishing them together and roughly measuring it, gave about a 1/4 inch.

GnFpTOu.jpg
    fp3j9LB.jpg

Just bought one of the qi chargers you tested, the first one. Hope it works well. Didn't really know if I wanted one but what the heck

The price of entry isn't very high. It really is a "why not give it a shot" kinda thing.

I would be willing to mail one (free ship both ways) if you could do a comparison.

Well if you really want me to, I don't have a problem updating this post and adding in the dt900 for comparison.

But a round trip to Canada and back, I'm not sure if it's really worth it.
    OP,

Will any of these qi chargers keep my phone charged at 100%? Or some of them suffer from the problem where the charger shuts off after charging to 100% and my phone's battery starts being drained and start charging from 90%?

Yes, the Nexus 5 will remain at 100% charge until you take it off.

Im buying a Q5 , i have a question if you can help me...

I have a Nilkin Skin in my nexus 5 , is any problem with he charger Q5 or i need to remove the skin any time i need to charge the phone?

You are fine, it will charge through most cases, a skin is no problem.

It was still charging through this! The Q5 allowed 9 more sheets of paper than this one.