[Bug?] WiFi battery drain on 6.0 & 6.0.1 and workaround (Fixed since April MOB30D)

Search This thread

jineshpatel30

Nov 8, 2012
[Bug?] WiFi battery drain on 6.0 & 6.0.1 and workaround (Fixed since April MOB30D)

Google fixed this in 6.0.1 (edit : you still need to disable wifi scan in location setting :( edit2: Google fixed this in April MOB30D so update to any release after April'16 to get rid of this bug from source :good: )along with instant quick setting wifi connect & many more ! So update to 6.0.1 asap. (System less root 2.61+ & Xposed v78+ is working on 6.0.1 so don't worry about it :p )

Edit 2: Some people are facing battery drain due Google play services (9.x.xxx) which is not anyway related to this bug present in rom. Still here is work around for you

Unfortunately I still get the Wifi bug and I am on the July patch. I remember it disappeared in the May patch but reappeared in the June patch. The way I solve it is just to restart the device every day.

But I do think it may have something to do with Play Services as I do see that often as the app consuming a lot of battery
Then it's Not wifi bug due to ROM..it's entirely related to Play Service.

Work around for it is to disable 4 receivors indicated in below post.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=67254249&postcount=922

PS: u can use free tool, "My android tools" from playstore.

& disable these 4 things under "RECIEVER" tab from play services

PS: some people claims that it was related to Google Connectivity Service ,but i had it disabled all the time in 6.0 & still drain was gone for me. So i believe it's not actually related to it, after all Google connectivity services is only needed for "Project Fi" (available only in USA) other ppl can simply disable it ;)

Edit: reported to Google (with new screen shots )...here->
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=189018
If you are also seeing this bug kindly report it in about link and star that issue as well :)

Workaround :

Well after using phone for entire 3 charging cycles with different settings I think main problem for this is "WiFi always scan" in location setting..many users reported how to turn it off in comments (thanks ;) )

If you still facing this problem...

Go to Settings>Location>Scanning(top right)>Wifi Scanning ( disable it ) & Bluetooth Scanning (disable it as well)

if bug appers after few days, 1st check your "WiFi scanning" in Location again (turn it off if it's on ) it starts automatically after using navigation (randomly) !

8Jpgk7U.png

YCr0F2f.png

In most cases this will solve the problem..but if you are still seeing much battery drain

Then change your Location Setting to Device only ( or you can entirely disable it if you don't relay on Location base Google Now cards )

If all of above fails Wiping Cache In Stock Recovery or Changing WiFi band in WiFi advance setting, also helps in some extreme cases ( as reported by some users )

here is video by @isrmicha for the same steps if you can't figure-out from pics,

One more thing I have noticed is Quick setting tile takes much time (15-20seconds) to connected WiFi unless we open "more settings " by clicking on down Aero on tile...in this case it will connect instantly....if you are facing this as well then do above to connect instantly
(I think Google disabled instant scanning for wifi on QS toggle..so it takes some time for scanning available networks after Turing on wifi)
(Fixed in 6.0.1)

Click below to see what's the problem with scanning ON, if you are still not aware of it ;)

1st of all i'm fully stock...and i'm very impressed with battery life on 6.0...personally I never got SOT for than 4 hrs on Lollipop but on M it's been almost 4 and half hr and still 23% remaining so overall battery life is much improved for me and DOZE is doing it's work excellently (without any interference :p )

But the problem is as per stats WiFi is biggest battery drainer for me it shows about 53% use and Power used by it is also too much...i have never seen this much uses of WiFi ! It's more than Drain by Screen On :eek:

So is this some kind of bug or just different calculation method ? Seeing overall improved battery life I'm confused to call it bug :silly:

ryRIKIS.png

y2Iso5R.png

XY7suYJ.png

eVviFHX.png

Last edited:

eddiehk6

Dec 18, 2010
London
Does seem quite high, even though you're getting better battery than previously. During 'normal usage' of the device, Screen ON should always be the biggest consumer.

A few things you could check / confirm and be more thorough / logical:

- Your WiFi appears always on. During this time, is it actually connected to a network, or do you always leave it on regardless? If it's actually connected to WiFi, does this usage occur on a single network, or multiple different networks?

- Do you also have "Scanning always available" enabled (In WiFi screen, Menu-> Advanced). If so, try turning it off and changing nothing else, does it make a difference?

jineshpatel30

Nov 8, 2012
Does seem quite high, even though you're getting better battery than previously. During 'normal usage' of the device, Screen ON should always be the biggest consumer.

A few things you could check / confirm and be more thorough / logical:

- Your WiFi appears always on. During this time, is it actually connected to a network, or do you always leave it on regardless? If it's actually connected to WiFi, does this usage occur on a single network, or multiple different networks?

- Do you also have "Scanning always available" enabled (In WiFi screen, Menu-> Advanced). If so, try turning it off and changing nothing else, does it make a difference?
1. That's what I was thinking..screen % should always more than anything else ( atleast when we are "actually" using phone)

2. No my WiFi wasn't always on I turned it off/on many times but it's not present in SS..that's weird ( set I forgot to Mentioned it in OP)

And I was connected to 2 different wifi networks only (1st 2-3 hrs after charging I was connected to hotspot..then for 7-8 hrs I turned off WiFi toggle before going to bed (but SS shows WiFi on in this time also !!! So it's definitely a bug)

3. There is no option to advance wifi setting to turn always scan off ( I know it was in lollipop but it's not present in M..I checked it twice :p )

Btw how to take a bug report ? "Take a bug report" is disabled in developer option & there is no way to turn it on (atleast I can't find it)

My battery it <5% now and I want to take bug report before putting it in charging so if someone know how to turn on bug report option plz reply fast ;)

Edit: okay just took bug report ( I didn't enable usb debugging before :D ) ...now tell me how to report this bug to Google :p

Last edited:

eddiehk6

Dec 18, 2010
London
3. There is no option to advance wifi setting to turn always scan off ( I know it was in lollipop but it's not present in M..I checked it twice :p )

No idea then. I've never used M, just expected that same setting to still be there. Maybe it's buried / hidden somewhere else?

The other possibility, in the initial setup screens when you first set up the phone, did you enable the equivalent feature? Normally a check box saying that Google will scan even when WiFi is off. This is the only other thing I can think of which shows WiFi on even though you physically turned it off.

Edit: okay just took bug report ( I didn't enabled usb debugging before :D ) ...now tell me how to report this bug to Google :p

No idea either, Google it ;) . If you're fully stock with zero mods (or even other apps to be sure), it does seem like a strange bug.

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
I do not have this issue, WiFi is currently 6th on my list in battery. Now, having said that, I have WiFi on all the time as signal is bad at work and I don't use my phone a lot so I've currently got 1 day 20hrs life remaining...I don't believe it's an issue but this is only my first full day with 6.0

jineshpatel30

Nov 8, 2012
My Wifi is one of the lowest, 1%, 17 mah and almost 8 hours of use

I do not have this issue, WiFi is currently 6th on my list in battery. Now, having said that, I have WiFi on all the time as signal is bad at work and I don't use my phone a lot so I've currently got 1 day 20hrs life remaining...I don't believe it's an issue but this is only my first full day with 6.0

huh ! this is strange :confused:

what's your "location settings" ( i put it on high accuracy but i don't think it affect wifi drain :silly: )

and just to conform you are on official Marshmallow right ?

Edit : actually they merged my issue with one already present from Nexus 6 so i think many have this issues in M ;)

jineshpatel30

Nov 8, 2012
Always scan settings are located in the location menu.

I'm a Brazilian without English Course, sorry and be comprehensive :)
i disabled it on 1st boot up....btw is it same as WiFi scan in lollipop ? i though it's different and only related to Location.

anyway it was disabled all the time so it shouldn't be issue ( unless people disabled it are the only one getting this WiFi drain...if this case let me know )

GtrCraft

Recognized Developer
  • Jun 3, 2013
    Moto G5 Plus
    Xiaomi Poco F1
    huh ! this is strange :confused:

what's your "location settings" ( i put it on high accuracy but i don't think it affect wifi drain :silly: )

and just to conform you are on official Marshmallow right ?

Edit : actually they merged my issue with one already present from Nexus 6 so i think many have this issues in M ;)

Of course I am on Marshmallow, location is set on device only (GPS)

prog19

Apr 29, 2012
    Well, its known that if you leave wifi range and then turn off wifi it will still count as on in the battery stats. Since lollipop. Maybe it is being counted differentely(this word exist ? ) now

jineshpatel30

Nov 8, 2012
    Well, its known that if you leave wifi range and then turn off wifi it will still count as on in the battery stats. Since lollipop. Maybe it is being counted differentely(this word exist ? ) now

but i didn't leave wifi range at all ! plus i turn off wifi for 8-9 hrs & this lap is also not present in battery statistic

and Sorry for *differentely :( it's differently ;)

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
    Were you tethering at all? My Wifi is second on my list and the only thing I have done is test some wifi tethering about a half hour ago. I haven't even used WiFi at all today. I don't use it at work. I have not disabled the scanning option either.

Screenshot_20151007-122039_zpswprizcbj.jpg

Last edited:

jineshpatel30

Nov 8, 2012
    Were you tethering at all? My Wifi is second on my list and the only thing I have done is test some wifi tethering about a half hour ago. I haven't even used WiFi at all today. I don't use it at work.

Screenshot_20151007-122039_zpswprizcbj.jpg
    no wan't tethering.

i just changed my location setting to device only and turned of both Bluetooth & wifi scan in Location>advance setting ( you can also try this if your settings are different )

let's see how it turns out ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Google fixed this in 6.0.1 (edit : you still need to disable wifi scan in location setting :( edit2: Google fixed this in April MOB30D so update to any release after April'16 to get rid of this bug from source :good: )along with instant quick setting wifi connect & many more ! So update to 6.0.1 asap. (System less root 2.61+ & Xposed v78+ is working on 6.0.1 so don't worry about it :p )

Edit 2: Some people are facing battery drain due Google play services (9.x.xxx) which is not anyway related to this bug present in rom. Still here is work around for you

Unfortunately I still get the Wifi bug and I am on the July patch. I remember it disappeared in the May patch but reappeared in the June patch. The way I solve it is just to restart the device every day.

But I do think it may have something to do with Play Services as I do see that often as the app consuming a lot of battery
      Then it's Not wifi bug due to ROM..it's entirely related to Play Service.

Work around for it is to disable 4 receivors indicated in below post.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=67254249&postcount=922

PS: u can use free tool, "My android tools" from playstore.

& disable these 4 things under "RECIEVER" tab from play services

PS: some people claims that it was related to Google Connectivity Service ,but i had it disabled all the time in 6.0 & still drain was gone for me. So i believe it's not actually related to it, after all Google connectivity services is only needed for "Project Fi" (available only in USA) other ppl can simply disable it ;)

Edit: reported to Google (with new screen shots )...here->
      https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=189018
      If you are also seeing this bug kindly report it in about link and star that issue as well :)

Workaround :

Well after using phone for entire 3 charging cycles with different settings I think main problem for this is "WiFi always scan" in location setting..many users reported how to turn it off in comments (thanks ;) )

If you still facing this problem...

Go to Settings>Location>Scanning(top right)>Wifi Scanning ( disable it ) & Bluetooth Scanning (disable it as well)

if bug appers after few days, 1st check your "WiFi scanning" in Location again (turn it off if it's on ) it starts automatically after using navigation (randomly) !

8Jpgk7U.png

YCr0F2f.png

In most cases this will solve the problem..but if you are still seeing much battery drain

Then change your Location Setting to Device only ( or you can entirely disable it if you don't relay on Location base Google Now cards )

If all of above fails Wiping Cache In Stock Recovery or Changing WiFi band in WiFi advance setting, also helps in some extreme cases ( as reported by some users )

here is video by @isrmicha for the same steps if you can't figure-out from pics,

One more thing I have noticed is Quick setting tile takes much time (15-20seconds) to connected WiFi unless we open "more settings " by clicking on down Aero on tile...in this case it will connect instantly....if you are facing this as well then do above to connect instantly
      (I think Google disabled instant scanning for wifi on QS toggle..so it takes some time for scanning available networks after Turing on wifi)
      (Fixed in 6.0.1)

Click below to see what's the problem with scanning ON, if you are still not aware of it ;)

1st of all i'm fully stock...and i'm very impressed with battery life on 6.0...personally I never got SOT for than 4 hrs on Lollipop but on M it's been almost 4 and half hr and still 23% remaining so overall battery life is much improved for me and DOZE is doing it's work excellently (without any interference :p )

But the problem is as per stats WiFi is biggest battery drainer for me it shows about 53% use and Power used by it is also too much...i have never seen this much uses of WiFi ! It's more than Drain by Screen On :eek:

So is this some kind of bug or just different calculation method ? Seeing overall improved battery life I'm confused to call it bug :silly:

ryRIKIS.png

y2Iso5R.png

XY7suYJ.png

eVviFHX.png

This step solved the problem for me:
      Restart in safe mode, then after a while, restart normally.
      Remove all widget from all the pages and re-add all it like new widget.
      For those still having trouble... The fix for me was to set WiFi to 2.4ghz only (don't allow 5 ghz). Presto, went from significant drain to almost none.
      @All quick update/summary from OP

Some people are reporting great battery life and changing roms/kernels don't seem to affect the issue, is it possible our batteries are going bad?

@all

it's not specific ROM or Kernel related issue..it will chase you whatever setup you choose provied it's 6.0+ as it's native andoid bug and it can't be solved by changing things until some dev (none is lucky till date)/ google patch whatever the cause. i think google patched this on 6p & N5x in new march factory image MHC19* so we can expect this fix in next factory image (or may be 6.1 :p )

so No i don't think your battery is dead...may be slight weaker ( i have relatively new battery and i get 3hr + SOT with 9hr+ usage with above normal use )

there are lots of work around for this provided by many people. but to be honest most accurate one is what i wrote in OP. turn off wifi scanning in location setting it works every damn time for me ( scanning auto turns on when you use navigation as google asked our permission for the same while setting up device ) so you need to keep an eye on scanning off every time you see some unusual wifi battery drain and turn it off it it's on.

if you are unlucky one as some of others and if above thing won't stop your drain then there is not much you can do. try other work around (clear cache/ reboot/ keep WiFi on/ restart apps etc) but don't put hope on them because on my knowledge they are just lucky charm and you will see wifi drain after some days again. so hope that workaround in OP works for you.

other workaround providers plz don't take this post personally this is my honest opinion after going through entire thread, there is good chance that your work around is working great for you but it's not working for others with 100% accuracy :)

Cheers !

(btw i'm seriously wishing that N5 should get Android N officially, it's basically perfection update for Marshmallow and adds some nice goodies .. figure-crossed )
      This is FIXED with the latest Google connectivity services update from the play store. Amazing... Battery curve flattened out as soon as I installed.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone