Build NMJ51B

Search This thread

billteeth

Mar 17, 2012
Being on Sprint do I need to do the previous updates or right to NMJ51B? I am on NM181

Thanks

You have to do them in order.
Current Builds:
Build NMI54B - 7.1.1 (Initial Build)
Build NMI64C - 7.1.1 (September 13, 2017)
Build NMI81C - 7.1.1 (October 4, 2017)
Build NMJ20D - 7.1.1 (October 30, 2017)
Build NMJ32F - 7.1.1 (November 7, 2017)
Build NMJ51B - 7.1.1 (December 5, 2017)

Search this forum for "build" to find the ota link's
https://xdaforums.com/essential-phone/how-to

Reactions: gflexstump

DiamondDave98

Nov 11, 2017
Sprint updating

If you're on Sprint like me, and are using an unlocked phone (like me) here's what you can do.

Go to Walmart, purchase a SIM starter kit. It will have to include a nano SIM card and CANNOT BE SPRINT (very important). I got one of those pre-paid sim starter kits and paid about $9.00.

When you're made aware of an update being released by Essential, turn off your device, remove your Sprint SIM and replace it with the non-Sprint SIM. Turn the device on and navigate to the settings, manually check for an update and you'll see that the newly released update is available. Install it, allow the device to restart and once the update is finalized, turn the device off and reinstall your Sprint SIM. Done.

If during this process you are prompted to begin activating service because of the different SIM, simply ignore the prompt and continue the download of the update.

BTW, this is an Essential approved method according to their East Coast Tech Support.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with sideloading the update, I just wanted to offer another method that doesn't require ADB interface or having to type code even though it is a simple and seamless process.

Last edited:

Caltinpla

Sep 16, 2014
Garden State
I'm with Sprint and I sideloaded the update without problems. Besides the Dec security update I can feel that my phone is running snappier than before (may be placebo!).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171206-182752.png
    Screenshot_20171206-182752.png
    138.4 KB · Views: 343
Reactions: bricky23

ver2go

Mar 30, 2007
Side loading is failing for me. Not sure if I'm doing anything wrong.

rooted and unlocked.
boot into recovery
advance
side load

on computer 'adb sideload <file posted here>.zip'

TWRP shows failed at the top. The console shows it trying to apply

Airwolf79

Mar 3, 2011
OnePlus 9 Pro
OnePlus 10 Pro
Side loading is failing for me. Not sure if I'm doing anything wrong.

rooted and unlocked.
boot into recovery
advance
side load

on computer 'adb sideload <file posted here>.zip'

TWRP shows failed at the top. The console shows it trying to apply
Try the stock recovery. Pull the boot.img out of the stock dump zip and flash it in fastboot. Once in the stock recovery, hold power & vol up to get to hidden menu. Then adb sideload.

avd

Aug 17, 2009
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
If you are going to go through all that trouble, just flag the lastest back to stock image. If your bootloader is not unlocked, the unlocking process will wipe your data.

Sent from my PH-1 using XDA Labs

avd

Aug 17, 2009
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
The battery life is insane.
Although all day yesterday carrier services was eating up my battery. Probably it was having a schitzophrenic breakdown... Hey there's an update... No we're on Sprint... Hey there's an update... No we're on Sprint... ...

Sent from my PH-1 using XDA Labs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171206-223438.png
    Screenshot_20171206-223438.png
    180 KB · Views: 374

Airwolf79

Mar 3, 2011
OnePlus 9 Pro
OnePlus 10 Pro
Airwolf,
the stock imange boot file trick sounds like a plan, however...how do we get TWRP back after wards. The only versions i have are cooked into the ROM image.

Rick
BMG1001 has updated his root thread with the latest TWRP build. Just follow the link in his thread and flash it the same way as the previous build, fastboot flash boot twrp.img. Root is working with the latest build as well. https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3701976
Edit:. Obviously, you would have to rename the NMJ51B TWRP img to use that command, or just type the full name of that TWRP img into your command.

Last edited:
OK a bit frustrated. I have the OTA zip ( b1f428ce77a3324759d0157f964b507ebc5e72fb.zip)
Flashed stock boot.img
ADB Reboot bootloader
Select recovery
Get "sick android guy"
Power Button, Volume Up to get menu
Select update from ADB
Adb sideload ota.zip
Says:
Finding Update Package...
Opening update package...
E:\unknown volume for path [/sideload package./zip
Verifying update package...
Update package verification took 5.7 s (result 0).
Installing Update...
Step 1/2Error applying update 20 (Error code::kDownloadState InitializationError)E:Error in sideload/package.zip
(Status 1)
E:unknown volume for path [/cache/recovery/uncrypt_status]
Installation Aborted

HELP!

Rick

Airwolf79

Mar 3, 2011
OnePlus 9 Pro
OnePlus 10 Pro
OK a bit frustrated. I have the OTA zip ( b1f428ce77a3324759d0157f964b507ebc5e72fb.zip)
Flashed stock boot.img
ADB Reboot bootloader
Select recovery
Get "sick android guy"
Power Button, Volume Up to get menu
Select update from ADB
Adb sideload ota.zip
Says:
Finding Update Package...
Opening update package...
E:\unknown volume for path [/sideload package./zip
Verifying update package...
Update package verification took 5.7 s (result 0).
Installing Update...
Step 1/2Error applying update 20 (Error code::kDownloadState InitializationError)E:Error in sideload/package.zip
(Status 1)
E:unknown volume for path [/cache/recovery/uncrypt_status]
Installation Aborted

HELP!

Rick
Ok. U flashed the boot.img in fastboot, correct? And you put the OTA zip in ur platform tools folder right?

Airwolf79

Mar 3, 2011
OnePlus 9 Pro
OnePlus 10 Pro
Ok, you need to flash the boot.img to the other partition, so in bootloader: fastboot set_active other. It should tell you which partition you're switching to (a or b). Then flash the boot.img to the partition you switched to. If the active partition is A, then:
fastboot flash boot_a boot. Once you successfully sideload the OTA, and you want to flash TWRP, just make sure you are switched back to the other partition before you flash. This whole partition thing can be very confusing.

Reactions: 12paq and avd

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sprint updating

If you're on Sprint like me, and are using an unlocked phone (like me) here's what you can do.

Go to Walmart, purchase a SIM starter kit. It will have to include a nano SIM card and CANNOT BE SPRINT (very important). I got one of those pre-paid sim starter kits and paid about $9.00.

When you're made aware of an update being released by Essential, turn off your device, remove your Sprint SIM and replace it with the non-Sprint SIM. Turn the device on and navigate to the settings, manually check for an update and you'll see that the newly released update is available. Install it, allow the device to restart and once the update is finalized, turn the device off and reinstall your Sprint SIM. Done.

If during this process you are prompted to begin activating service because of the different SIM, simply ignore the prompt and continue the download of the update.

BTW, this is an Essential approved method according to their East Coast Tech Support.
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with sideloading the update, I just wanted to offer another method that doesn't require ADB interface or having to type code even though it is a simple and seamless process.
    Ok, you need to flash the boot.img to the other partition, so in bootloader: fastboot set_active other. It should tell you which partition you're switching to (a or b). Then flash the boot.img to the partition you switched to. If the active partition is A, then:
    fastboot flash boot_a boot. Once you successfully sideload the OTA, and you want to flash TWRP, just make sure you are switched back to the other partition before you flash. This whole partition thing can be very confusing.
    For those of you using official builds. Check for update.
    The install freezes on step 2/2, i'm not rooted, and i tried to restart, no installed. What should I do ?

You sure it froze? The update does take kinda long on the second step
    Yeah I saw the post, unfortunate that the build date is restricted. I was trying to change the build dates but I'm not sure where Essential is creating their hashes, so it'll Error 21 on me saying that it's not a verified package unfortunately. Oh well, I may just wait till official Oreo since I used Android Wear and would like some battery life haha.

Well, good luck with the beta! I'm in no hurry. My phone runs so smoothly with the last update so I will wait for the official Oreo. :p