>>> Build Quality - The Good, Bad, Ugly <<<

H0CKEY

Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Good : Well i love the new tablet and in hand its light and a pleasure to use, the Plastic back is nice in hand and not slippery and visually this tablet is great. But ...........

Bad and Ugly : Here's my issue with the new Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

What is happening and i can see this being a big problem down the road of use is that when i hold the Tab with my left hand in portrait with the dock connector on my palm of the left hand, the thin piece of the housing is getting bent and pulled away from the glass and over time i see this getting stretched out. i think Samsung should have built the aluminum edging more webbing in the glass to keep that delicate piece from being so flexible and flimsy.

Anyone else having/noticing this issue or any other flaws, defects ????

Here's a few pics of what i am mentioning :

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/204/img0528y.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/34/img0529ze.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/img0534n.jpg

Last edited:

songmeesay

May 18, 2011
Damn, and here I was pondering returning my Transformer for a better build quality Samsung. Shootz!

I still may do it though since I never use portrait mode and for the most part it will be on a stand, but still, it sucks to see that.

Last edited:

RTessi

Feb 7, 2010
Bay Area, CA
You must have a 10.1v

I have the Google i/o edition and the side looks different than your with regard to the placement of those round hole covers on either side in relation to the curve.

I think that on the i/o (hopefully it will be the same as the 10.1) it has resolved that issue. I am trying to hold it as you are mentioning and I see no movement whatsoever. even if i try to pry at it, it is super solid.

is your a 10.1v?

R

iil

Dec 14, 2010
Everyone needs to specify details regarding there unit if they have one. It is clear that the limited edition/early release galaxy tabs are not identically the same as the one yet to be released.

RTessi

Feb 7, 2010
Bay Area, CA
thats really strange, your tablet looks way different than mine which also came from the recent i/o event.

picture attached...

it would seem there were multiple version of the same device if you have the limited edition white backed then...

anyone else? which do you have?

R

Attachments

RTessi

Feb 7, 2010
Bay Area, CA
im trying to re-create your picture to make sure its not an optical illusion, but your bottom half of the silver bezel looks so angular/curved compared to mine which as you can see from the picture above is much less curved. Espeically noticeable with the small round hole covers on either end of the connector, mine are not very curves, yours seemvery curved and angular.

???

R

H0CKEY

Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
thats really strange, your tablet looks way different than mine which also came from the recent i/o event.

picture attached...

it would seem there were multiple version of the same device if you have the limited edition white backed then...

anyone else? which do you have?

R

No mine looks the same from that angle , here's a pic

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84/img0535cj.jpg/

iil

Dec 14, 2010
I don't understand - are you using it while something is plugged into the dock connector, or is just from normal use? Maybe you are just holding it wrong?

H0CKEY

Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
normal use , i take very good care of my toys hahaha

And no i don't have it plugged in when using it

if you hold it left handed its normal i find that the palm and strong of the thumb seem to put stress on the thin strip of aluminum and slightly pulls it away from the glass since on mine the thin strip is not any thicker under the glass as what i can see visually. so its seems to be a weak point of the aluminum bezel

brianwilcox

Dec 3, 2008
I am not experiencing that same problem, but the glass in one of the corners does appear to be pealing up. Link below. Hoping that this is as far as it raises, but who knows... I talked to the Samsung guy at Google I/O and had my first device replaced for a similar issue I noticed there, and he said this first batch was made by hand in a bit of a rush so that they would be available for us googlers. I expect that the automated and machine driven build process for the production units will have more consistent quality.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/imag0206a.jpg/

H0CKEY

Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
I am not experiencing that same problem, but the glass in one of the corners does appear to be pealing up. Link below. Hoping that this is as far as it raises, but who knows... I talked to the Samsung guy at Google I/O and had my first device replaced for a similar issue I noticed there, and he said this first batch was made by hand in a bit of a rush so that they would be available for us googlers. I expect that the automated and machine driven build process for the production units will have more consistent quality.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/imag0206a.jpg/
Harsh that looks bad. I think the quality of the aluminum bezel is to thin and over time with alot of use our holding styles will cause these kind of issues.

brianwilcox

Dec 3, 2008
Harsh that looks bad. I think the quality of the aluminum bezel is to thin and over time with alot of use our holding styles will cause these kind of issues.
Just got off the phone with Samsung about this issue. They will allow me to send the unit to them for repair/replacement. Im just a little worried about going through the whole process only to find that they will send me back a unit with similar or worse build quality issues... Anyone else noticing problems with the screen raising up? Might just stick with what I have for fear of winding up with an even worse unit. Really was starting to fall in love with this thing.

yay pie

Jan 23, 2011
Just got off the phone with Samsung about this issue. They will allow me to send the unit to them for repair/replacement. Im just a little worried about going through the whole process only to find that they will send me back a unit with similar or worse build quality issues... Anyone else noticing problems with the screen raising up? Might just stick with what I have for fear of winding up with an even worse unit. Really was starting to fall in love with this thing.
I'm getting the same thing. Mine was this way out of the box at the conference, and with the plastic back pulling back, it looked like the tablet was warped. I popped it back into place and it looked good so I didn't say anything to anyone at the conference about it. I probably should have though, because now the screen is separating from the housing again in those two corners.

I stupidly threw away the blue card they gave at I/O that had the contact info for Samsung, who did you talk to about getting it repaired?

Last edited:

Ravynmagi

Nov 2, 2010
Not exactly getting a warm fuzzy feeling from this thread. I pre-ordered online. Starting to think I might want to cancel that and just wait for it at Best Buy, if even the Samsung tablets are having build quality issues.

vitruvi0ne

Aug 10, 2010
Oh no. I was afraid these reports would begin to surface on the 10.1. Some of these issues described Ive seen in the 10.1v as well, although my biggest gripe with these is the severe backlight bleeding. I have now exchanged this device with Vodafone AU twice and seen a total of 6 units and all have had backlight bleeding and inconsistent build quality.

With the first unit I received both right corners of the screen were popping out over the bezel a little. I believed it to be a problem with the adhesive used, because if you were to put pressure on the corner it would hold for a second then release, and you could hear the "sticky" sound as the adhesive separated.

All the units I've sampled though have had really shocking problems with backlight bleeding/leakage. If you're someone who planned to watch movies on this tablet in dimly lit rooms, you could find this distracting. I do. Its a shame really because I otherwise like the quality of the display, and both 10.1 models are nicely designed and nice to hold. In a lot of ways I prefer the feel of the 10.1v over the iPad 2. Too bad though that the build quality is questionable across the range of what is now 3 different variants of the 10.1 that Samsung has produced. What's the deal Samy?!

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet but most likely I'll return this 10.1v to Vodafail for a refund and wait it out for the 8.9. Perhaps I'll have better luck then? :(

Sent from my GT-P7100 using XDA Premium App