Build your own custom OS for Pixel 4a [11.x]

Search This thread

dantheman78

Jul 31, 2011
Intro
I'll start with this important note: this will likely be interesting to a small subset of users as it 1) does cost money to deploy and run this cloud infrastructure in AWS 2) requires a bit more technical knowledge to get this up and running than most things on XDA 3) the OS build process maintains verified boot with your own custom keys which means things like root/magisk are not a good fit. Anyways, I've created a cross platform tool, rattlesnakeos-stack, that allows you to build your own customized Android OS for Google Pixel phones using AWS cloud infrastructure. The default OS that this tools builds without any customizations is called RattlesnakeOS, which is really just AOSP with very minor additions. If there is something you don't like about the default OS, you can add customizations on top of it or start with a completely blank slate and build your own OS.

Features
  • Support for Google Pixel phones
  • Based on latest AOSP 11.0
  • Software and firmware security updates delivered through built in OTA updater
  • Maintains verified boot with a locked bootloader just like official Android but with your own personal signing keys
  • Support for building latest stable Chromium browser and webview
  • Support for custom OS builds
If any of that sounds interesting to you, head over to the README for full setup, build, customization, and flashing instructions. Also, feel free to stop by our matrix room RattlesnakeOS (#ros.matrix.org).

hummer010

Dec 12, 2011
Vermilion
no one has tried this yet? seems pretty freaking cool! i expect to give it a stab. maybe this weekend
I pretty much always used RattlesnakeOS on my Pixel 2. After a few year hiatus from Pixel devices, I've now got a Pixel 4A, so you can be sure I'll be checking this out!

I always ran a microg patched version of RattlesnakeOS with microg in stead of gapps.

Reactions: dantheman78

dantheman78

Jul 31, 2011
I pretty much always used RattlesnakeOS on my Pixel 2. After a few year hiatus from Pixel devices, I've now got a Pixel 4A, so you can be sure I'll be checking this out!
Great to hear! I've been using the Pixel 4a as my daily driver with this for the past 6 months and it has been smooth sailing. If you used rattlesnakeos-stack previously, the method to do customization has changed a bit, but there is an example in the README with a repo that shows how to integrate microg.

hummer010

Dec 12, 2011
Vermilion
Great to hear! I've been using the Pixel 4a as my daily driver with this for the past 6 months and it has been smooth sailing. If you used rattlesnakeos-stack previously, the method to do customization has changed a bit, but there is an example in the README with a repo that shows how to integrate microg.
I used to use a customization to enable volte on the pixel 2 - is this still necesary for the pixel 4a to get volte?

dantheman78

Jul 31, 2011
I used to use a customization to enable volte on the pixel 2 - is this still necesary for the pixel 4a to get volte?
It is not enabled by default but you can still use the community patches that contain that patch and there is an example in the repo of applying them. There is also a cleaner way using an overlay in the new setup, but I don't have that documented.

NvisibleIkoN

Mar 23, 2021
Does anyone have a stock flashable and boot image they could throw up? I recently lost access to a computer and i used to run this rom, would love to run it again.

BRE4DED

Apr 8, 2020
Google Pixel 4a
Have had pixel 4a here since it's debut. Been rocking the dirty unicorn ROM for 5 months on Android 10 and it's rock solid root. I can't use Android without root. Root is far superior than stock anyway. No complaints!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Intro
    I'll start with this important note: this will likely be interesting to a small subset of users as it 1) does cost money to deploy and run this cloud infrastructure in AWS 2) requires a bit more technical knowledge to get this up and running than most things on XDA 3) the OS build process maintains verified boot with your own custom keys which means things like root/magisk are not a good fit. Anyways, I've created a cross platform tool, rattlesnakeos-stack, that allows you to build your own customized Android OS for Google Pixel phones using AWS cloud infrastructure. The default OS that this tools builds without any customizations is called RattlesnakeOS, which is really just AOSP with very minor additions. If there is something you don't like about the default OS, you can add customizations on top of it or start with a completely blank slate and build your own OS.

Features
    • Support for Google Pixel phones
    • Based on latest AOSP 11.0
    • Software and firmware security updates delivered through built in OTA updater
    • Maintains verified boot with a locked bootloader just like official Android but with your own personal signing keys
    • Support for building latest stable Chromium browser and webview
    • Support for custom OS builds
    If any of that sounds interesting to you, head over to the README for full setup, build, customization, and flashing instructions. Also, feel free to stop by our matrix room RattlesnakeOS (#ros.matrix.org).
    no one has tried this yet? seems pretty freaking cool! i expect to give it a stab. maybe this weekend
    Awesome! Feel free to stop by our matrix room if you run into any troubles.

I always ran a microg patched version of RattlesnakeOS with microg in stead of gapps.