• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Building boot.img for Redmi Note 2

Search This thread

DarthJabba9

May 5, 2014
Greater London
It seems that the boot.img images for Redmi Note 2 are being built/assembled using a custom (i.e., non-standard) version of mkbootimg, using non-standard offsets for the kernel and the ramdisk. I have tested this theory with boot.img from different ROMs, and all seem to suffer from the same fate. I have tried several tools and versions of mkbootimg (including abootimg, mktimg, and umkbootimg). Most can decompress the boot images, but none can assemble a boot image that will not brick the phone.

Does anyone have a copy of the mkbootimg (binary or source) that is being used to build these boot images?

Thanks.

Reactions: thehobit and Deic

dissidius

Nov 9, 2009
TIRANA
use carliv image kitchen search in the forum or google it but use decompile or repack for normal android not mtk in the CMD menu as mt6795 uses different compressing method
type thanks please!

DarthJabba9

May 5, 2014
Greater London
It would be nice and useful for other people if you explain how you've sorted it out.
I'm not sure anyone wants to hear about my trials and tribulations - but it involved downloading and testing all sorts of versions of mkbootimg (binaries, and sources) and other tools, patching mkbootimg sources, downloading Xiaomi Android sources from SudaMod and nofearnohappy github repositories, and studying all the arguments given to mkbootimg in the make files, bricking the phone about 30 times, etc. Eventually, I ended up with a combination of tools (from different sources) and mkbootimg arguments that did the job. I now have init.d support built into my boot image.

I have kept all the relevant tools in a folder for future reference. I'm not sure I'm allowed to distribute them here, or even that I would encourage anyone to try them, because the risk of bricking the phone is very high if something goes wrong (and it is very easy for something to go wrong with what you change in the decompressed ramdisk). For the curious, these were the right arguments (at least, for the boot image that I used - from Deer Stable 7.0.12.0) :
Code:
mkbootimg --kernel boot.img-kernel.img --ramdisk ramdisk.gz \
--base 0x40078000 \
--pagesize 2048 \
--kernel_offset 0x00008000 \
--ramdisk_offset 0x03f88000 \
--second_offset 0x00e88000 \
--tags_offset 0x0df88000 \
--board V7.0.12.0.LHMMI \
--cmdline bootopt=64S3,32N2,64N2 \
--output new_boot.img

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It would be nice and useful for other people if you explain how you've sorted it out.
    I'm not sure anyone wants to hear about my trials and tribulations - but it involved downloading and testing all sorts of versions of mkbootimg (binaries, and sources) and other tools, patching mkbootimg sources, downloading Xiaomi Android sources from SudaMod and nofearnohappy github repositories, and studying all the arguments given to mkbootimg in the make files, bricking the phone about 30 times, etc. Eventually, I ended up with a combination of tools (from different sources) and mkbootimg arguments that did the job. I now have init.d support built into my boot image.

I have kept all the relevant tools in a folder for future reference. I'm not sure I'm allowed to distribute them here, or even that I would encourage anyone to try them, because the risk of bricking the phone is very high if something goes wrong (and it is very easy for something to go wrong with what you change in the decompressed ramdisk). For the curious, these were the right arguments (at least, for the boot image that I used - from Deer Stable 7.0.12.0) :
    Code:
    mkbootimg --kernel boot.img-kernel.img --ramdisk ramdisk.gz \
    --base 0x40078000 \
    --pagesize 2048 \
    --kernel_offset 0x00008000 \
    --ramdisk_offset 0x03f88000 \
    --second_offset 0x00e88000 \
    --tags_offset 0x0df88000 \
    --board V7.0.12.0.LHMMI \
    --cmdline bootopt=64S3,32N2,64N2 \
    --output new_boot.img
    It seems that the boot.img images for Redmi Note 2 are being built/assembled using a custom (i.e., non-standard) version of mkbootimg, using non-standard offsets for the kernel and the ramdisk. I have tested this theory with boot.img from different ROMs, and all seem to suffer from the same fate. I have tried several tools and versions of mkbootimg (including abootimg, mktimg, and umkbootimg). Most can decompress the boot images, but none can assemble a boot image that will not brick the phone.

Does anyone have a copy of the mkbootimg (binary or source) that is being used to build these boot images?

Thanks.
    No worries, I've sorted it out. Can you please close this thread? Thanks.