Building kernel for kindle fire

Search This thread

xdadevelopers-user

Oct 22, 2010
Has anyone successfully built the kernel or a kernel module against the source released by Amazon? I have tried the following and get a error about a missing arch/arm/mach-omap2/Makefile:

Code:
$ export CCOMPILER=/path/to/android/toolchain/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-
$ make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=$CCOMPILER mrproper 
$ make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=$CCOMPILER omap_4430sdp_defconfig 
$ make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=$CCOMPILER modules

... a lot of stuff builds then ...

... arch/arm/mach-omap2/Makefile: no such file or directory

Any ideas?

death2all110

Sep 21, 2010
Illinois
I was just having this discussion last night with a fellow dev. Its definitely missing when it obviously shouldnt be. and I believe the board number is kc1 at least according to the stamp on the board.

Anyway, I'll be contacting them shortly. Their source code is incomplete.

May 2, 2011
champaign, il
arch/arm/plat-omap is missing as well.

I am trying android_4430_defconfig, the omap one doesnt have CONFIG_ANDROID & too many driver build issues to continue fiddling with

May 2, 2011
champaign, il
Here are my makefile replacements, I dont consider these correct, they are a big hack & a work in progress that gets vmlinux linked for me.

driver wise i have laak display off, *hdmi* off, and lgd display on.

havent debugged further.

Attachments

• makefiles.zip
    931 bytes · Views: 33

SikYou

Oct 18, 2010
Did you guys pull the configuration from the device? I didn't find it at /proc/config.gz

SikYou

Oct 18, 2010
We cant get it unless amazon gives it to us...

Forgive me, I have not not built a kernel in a long time. Why can't the configuration file be pulled from the device? I use to just do something like

adb pull /proc/config.gz

config.gz does not appear to be in /proc on this device but we should be able to pull the configuration from somewhere

Sent from my ADR6400L

Last edited:

death2all110

Sep 21, 2010
Illinois
Forgive me, I have not not built a kernel in a long time. Why can't the configuration file be pulled from the device? I use to just do something like

adb pull /proc/config.gz

config.gz does not appear to be in /proc on this device but we should be able to pull the configuration from somewhere

Sent from my ADR6400L
Its not in /proc and i cant find it elsewhere. I agree there SHOULD be another way to do it. The only other way I know is to take the kernel by itself and run the extract-ikconfig script. But that doesn't even work. I've tried it multiple times. And people seem to be avoiding answering my question on here if there is another way. I'm sure there is...

E

ECOTOX

Isn't the processor similar to galaxy nexus? Try using some of those files and as for the config, they may not have it in /proc, galaxy s doesn't from what I know, that makes you dependent in good source release. Start with galaxy nexus source and work from there I think

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
The kernel stores its config only if configured to do so (the IKCONFIG options).

So a kernel with IKCONFIG disabled (most stock kernels of any phone I've ever worked with) won't have the config available anywhere.

randallu

Dec 25, 2010
Palo Alto, CA
Until we can get Amazon to cough up a complete kernel release including config we might start with the omap4430_sdp config with console on ttyUSB0. The KF certainly feels like the BSP was done by the ODM, so hopefully the kernel changes are minimal from the TI reference board...

damianarnold

Feb 5, 2008
Isn't the processor similar to galaxy nexus? Try using some of those files and as for the config, they may not have it in /proc, galaxy s doesn't from what I know, that makes you dependent in good source release. Start with galaxy nexus source and work from there I think

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

I was looking at the Droid Razr too

death2all110

Sep 21, 2010
Illinois
Alright.... Now I cant seem to get the kernel to compile past this
Code:
  CC      kernel/time/timekeeping.o
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `security/smc/omap4/tf_comm_mshield.o', needed by `security/smc/omap4/tf_driver.o'.  Stop.
make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
  CC      security/smc/omap4/scxlnx_device_mshield.o
make[2]: *** [security/smc/omap4] Error 2
make[1]: *** [security/smc] Error 2
make: *** [security] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Any ideas?

cant disable the smc driver. (won't let you)

Last edited:

richardg42

Nov 27, 2008
Oakland
Alright.... Now I cant seem to get the kernel to compile past this
Code:
  CC      kernel/time/timekeeping.o
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `security/smc/omap4/tf_comm_mshield.o', needed by `security/smc/omap4/tf_driver.o'.  Stop.
make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
  CC      security/smc/omap4/scxlnx_device_mshield.o
make[2]: *** [security/smc/omap4] Error 2
make[1]: *** [security/smc] Error 2
make: *** [security] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Any ideas?

cant disable the smc driver. (won't let you)
Is CONFIG_SECURITY_MIDDLEWARE_COMPONENT set to y in your config?

death2all110

Sep 21, 2010
Illinois
Is CONFIG_SECURITY_MIDDLEWARE_COMPONENT set to y in your config?
Yes it is:

Code:
#
# Security options
#
# CONFIG_KEYS is not set
# CONFIG_SECURITY is not set
CONFIG_SECURITYFS=y
CONFIG_TF_MSHIELD=y
CONFIG_SECURITY_MIDDLEWARE_COMPONENT=y
# CONFIG_SMC_KERNEL_CRYPTO is not set
# CONFIG_SECURE_TRACE is not set
# CONFIG_TF_DRIVER_DEBUG_SUPPORT is not set
# CONFIG_DEFAULT_SECURITY_SELINUX is not set
# CONFIG_DEFAULT_SECURITY_SMACK is not set
# CONFIG_DEFAULT_SECURITY_TOMOYO is not set
CONFIG_DEFAULT_SECURITY_DAC=y
CONFIG_DEFAULT_SECURITY=""
CONFIG_CRYPTO=y

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    great!

so i have a few questions:
    1. did u flash the zImage or boot.img?
    2. if it was boot.img wht arguments did u use to create it (mkbootimg arguments)
    3. how did u flash it?

oh btw i dont have the device with me but really curious on how the development goes :)

thanks!

I got the sound working now, though I had to fudge a line in omap4_panda_aic31xx.c to do it. Should probably figure that out, as I don't think it ought to be the way I made it, heh.

I flashed boot.img; I used the ramdisk from the current 6.2 boot.img. I used the command-line from the current stuff as well, but put it in the .config

I used fastboot with a factory cable (wow, did I do a butcher job on this cable, but it works).

Code:
    mkbootimg --kernel zImage --ramdisk boot.img-ramdisk.gz -o boot.img

Code:
    $ fastboot -i 0x1949 boot boot.img
    downloading 'boot.img'...
    OKAY [  0.839s]
    booting...
    OKAY [  0.004s]
    finished. total time: 0.842s

Need to leave the office, will get this stuff up on github after dinner. Glad I got this working, but now I have to work tomorrow to catch up on the crap I didn't do yesterday :)
    Try this one. (working stock source with minimal changes)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?9ax9l479pt2ycwp

Sorry, the config in the archive has yellow screen issue, please use the config in the attachment
    Might you know what could be done to fix the display? Compiling the Amazon source (with a few modifications for compile errors) using otter_android_defconfig results in a weird display corruption. :confused:

Try this one. (working stock source with minimal changes)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?9ax9l479pt2ycwp
    good to see work has already started on kernel :)

i might be getting this device, may be in 2-3 weeks time...

try using 4.4.3 toolchain from CM repo... its the best to work with kernels...

here is the toolchain at my git repo:
    https://github.com/DooMLoRD/android_prebuilt_toolchains

clone it and use the arm-eabi-4.4.3 toolchain

also if u guys are using 4.6.2 linaro then edit the makefiles and remove this flag "-Werror"
    IT BUILT!

Ill test soon!