• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Building Rom from Source for Redmi Note 9/10X Merlin

Search This thread

cleverdmasoy

May 29, 2014
Hello guys, I was planning to build a rom from source so that we can start integrating different custom roms for our devices. I have a rig with good specs and a good internet connection too. What roms do you suggest to build?

I was kinda planning to build anything that's possible since our Device Tree and Vendor Blobs is now available. I think this is a good opportunity.
Kindly leave some suggestions, I'm just a newbie.

Reactions: r0nmlt
D

Deleted member 9635294

But, why custom?
I really prefer the original stock ROM and keep the system unchanged.
So I love magisk, because I can root without having to modify the system.
Together, Xposed, XprivacyLua, Adblocker and TitaniumBackup are all perfectly fine.
MIUI lag like crap and drains battery crazy, at least on my phone.

Reactions: r0nmlt
D

Deleted member 9635294

If an O.S. developed by many, many people who are paid to develop this, has lags,
why won't an O.S. developed by one or two people have lags too?
If your battery is discharging quickly, just track battery usage and see what's draining excessively.
hmmm I must have bought a fake Device with a cheap 3rd party battery and Dual core 2012 MTK processor, or the many, many people are hired mainly not to develop the OS, but hired for inserting pernament adware and bloatware in the Device so that they could earn extra money.

D

Deleted member 9635294

Probably you must to buy an iphone.
I kind of hate apple Locked crap. The system updates destroys the nice flagship, and if you do not update, they will greet you by not allowing you to install any app.
Samsung is nice for me, but if you hate Samsung, I have nothing to say.

Communos

Oct 28, 2019
Paris
Xiaomi Redmi 5
Google Pixel 3 XL
But, why custom?
Together, Xposed, XprivacyLua, Adblocker and TitaniumBackup are all perfectly fine.
I guess you've never used Custom roms.

Custom roms perform better than MIUI, No bloatware by default and they have a better UI.

Communos

Oct 28, 2019
Paris
Xiaomi Redmi 5
Google Pixel 3 XL
:ROFLMAO: That's the issue with Xiaomi, good hardware, poor software. They are able to provide cheap smartphones only due to earning money from ads in the softwares. Let's see development for Note 9 is going good now, almost every bug is fixed and device tree is stable, forums for note 9 should be filled with roms within time.

Communos

Oct 28, 2019
Paris
Xiaomi Redmi 5
Google Pixel 3 XL
Hello guys, I was planning to build a rom from source so that we can start integrating different custom roms for our devices. I have a rig with good specs and a good internet connection too. What roms do you suggest to build?

I was kinda planning to build anything that's possible since our Device Tree and Vendor Blobs is now available. I think this is a good opportunity.
Kindly leave some suggestions, I'm just a newbie.
Give ShapeshiftOS and FluidOS a try, new roms, Quite good.

VD171

Jun 21, 2012
LG K10
Samsung Galaxy J7
I guess you've never used Custom roms.

Custom roms perform better than MIUI, No bloatware by default and they have a better UI.
I don't like to waste my time with not trusted things.
If you don't like MIUI, certainly you should not buy a Xiaomi phone.
I prefer systemless modifications.
If you have enough time for wasting, it is not my problem.

Communos

Oct 28, 2019
Paris
Xiaomi Redmi 5
Google Pixel 3 XL
We aren't expressing what we like or what we don't, We're telling a man what to build. So please if you don't like custom roms, you may leave this thread.

Talking about "not trusted" , Custom roms are better in terms of privacy too and are trusted.
Saying a custom rom can't be trusted is one of the dumbest thing you could say on a tech platform with tons of custom roms threads.

D

Deleted member 9635294

Then you should not, and never come to this thread as we are talking about custom roms, and talking that you love to stay on MIUI will be a waste of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Communos
D

Deleted member 9635294

We aren't expressing what we like or what we don't, We're telling a man what to build. So please if you don't like custom roms, you may leave this thread.

Talking about "not trusted" , Custom roms are better in terms of privacy too and are trusted.
Saying a custom rom can't be trusted is one of the dumbest thing you could say on a tech platform with tons of custom roms threads.

There are thousands, if not millions, of people using custom roms on a Xiaomi phone and not a single one said their phones are hacked due to the custom rom. To say the least, Even MIUI is not close to being trusted as soon as you unlocked the bootloader.

Reactions: Communos

VD171

Jun 21, 2012
LG K10
Samsung Galaxy J7
:ROFLMAO: That's the issue with Xiaomi, good hardware, poor software. They are able to provide cheap smartphones only due to earning money from ads in the softwares. Let's see development for Note 9 is going good now, almost every bug is fixed and device tree is stable, forums for note 9 should be filled with roms within time.
Then you should not, and never come to this thread as we are talking about custom roms, and persuading people to stay on MIUI crap will be a waste of time.
Who is trying to persuad anybody ?
Who cares for what O.S. you will use ?
I'm givin my opinion.
If you don't like my opinion, well, who cares ?

VD171

Jun 21, 2012
LG K10
Samsung Galaxy J7

Xiaomi builded the phone. So, I trust on Xiaomi O.S.
Anybody can build an O.S., so I prefer to keep with Xiaomi O.S.
If you prefer to use an O.S. builded by anybody that will never update it, well, it is your problem.
I prefer to keep with original stock rom.
It is my opinion.

Communos

Oct 28, 2019
Paris
Xiaomi Redmi 5
Google Pixel 3 XL
Xiaomi builded the phone. So, I trust on Xiaomi O.S.
Anybody can build an O.S., so I prefer to keep with Xiaomi O.S.
If you prefer to use an O.S. builded by anybody that will never update it, well, it is your problem.
I prefer to keep with original stock rom.
It is my opinion.
Custom roms are regularly updated, they have maintainers for specific devices who update the rom regularly, with security patches. Please do not speak of something which you don't know of.

Any more replies to this will be ignored, Since you clearly don't know what you're talking about and this is going OFF-TOPIC.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Friendly reminder from the moderation team:

Please stay on topic(custom rom), as this is not a discussion thread about general rom preferences like stock rom.

Thank you!

strongst
    Forum Moderator
    D
    Deleted member 9635294
    Is this a development thread or a discussion thread?
    Do you only like opinions same of your opinions?
    We only like opinions that is contributive according to the title: Building custom roms from source for the Device codenamed Merlin. This thread will become a development thread as soon as a dev posts information, eta or problem about building a rom.
    Then, I am sorry for calling out that this was a bust. I came here for information and to stop a senseless dispute by putting myself into it in the process. So in general, I need to erase system and vendor in order for me to flash the Indonesian fastboot rom. So, in your experience, what variant is your phone before you customized it?
    Global varient. Basically, the varient of the phone isn't important, the firmware that it's running is.

Before you go on to install custom roms and stuff, I'd recommend you to backup your IMEI for your own safety, just in case if your phone is bricked due to any mistake and needs format, you could restore IMEI back after wipe.

(Note to anyone who considers this is promotion: I do not own the YouTube channel and neither I'm affiliated with it by any means, and the video has not been monetized.)

Good luck flashing, let's forget the previous argument and move on :)
    But, why custom?
    D
    Deleted member 9635294
    But, why custom?
    MIUI lag like crap and drains battery crazy, at least on my phone.