• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Building Rom from Source for Redmi Note 9/10X Merlin

Search This thread

Communos

Oct 28, 2019
Paris
Xiaomi Redmi 5
Google Pixel 3 XL
You

What he meant of "Unbranded" roms are roms that are made with additional tweaks and customization from developers who have NOT BEEN REGISTERED as an official part of Android OS such as "Resurrection Remix", "Lineage OS" etc and are specifically made to further customize the device both software and hardware, thus shortening the smartphone's life span if not carefully tweaked properly. While branded roms are made from smartphone manufactures in order to include their apps in their product such as One UI, MIUI etc. These roms are tweaked as either optimal to performance, thus making it user-friendly to newcomers.

If you aint replying, be my guest, But remember, COMMUNOS, you are a senior member of this group. We've be warned by a XDA moderator here. You should respect other people's opinion and avoid making unnecessary decision that will lead you to a ban in this thread.
Please, READ what's being said in the thread, I have been in favour of custom roms since the beginning. I know what unbranded roms mean. What I pointed out was VD171 confidently said there are many roms for merlin out there on google, While there was only one, LineageOS. When asked for the links, he straight away declines to provide, because he doesn't have them, and was lying.

Talking about opinions, this thread is for custom roms, recommending stock rom is baseless here.
The thread moderator posted too, opinions for stock roms shouldn't be posted here.

I've been in the custom roms community since 2015, I am very well versed with their benefits over the stock, the demerits too. And for the Note 9 community, we worked hard for several months to produce bugless roms, and when they are released a random guy comes over and starts to recommend stock roms over them? Are the developers fools who have been working hard since months to make a stable device tree, provide bugless custom roms?

And for the part you bricked your phone, that was due to your mistake. If you flash wrong files or use wrong vendor or commands, brick is obvious. This is a mtk device, and everyone knows what's the dangers of customising it. I'm using GSI and roms on my note 9 since September 2020, no issues till now.
Bugless custom roms are already out, please check the forums for this device.

Talking about UNOFFICIAL, The official/unofficial is just a tag, The only difference is official roms are bugless, which the current unofficial is too, and can be applied for official.

This is not a Snapdragon device, There's a risk in customising it, every user undertakes risk when he/she starts to begins to mod their device. So complaining of bricks due to their mistake, is ridiculous.

Ban for what? This thread is for custom roms, I'm talking about custom roms. It's the people who are trying to enforce their opinion about stock roms here should be banned.

Peace out man, No hard feelings, just please look what had been said in the thread previously, you will understand.

Communos

Oct 28, 2019
Paris
Xiaomi Redmi 5
Google Pixel 3 XL
You

What he meant of "Unbranded" roms are roms that are made with additional tweaks and customization from developers who have NOT BEEN REGISTERED as an official part of Android OS such as "Resurrection Remix", "Lineage OS" etc and are specifically made to further customize the device both software and hardware, thus shortening the smartphone's life span if not carefully tweaked properly. While branded roms are made from smartphone manufactures in order to include their apps in their product such as One UI, MIUI etc. These roms are tweaked as either optimal to performance, thus making it user-friendly to newcomers.

If you aint replying, be my guest, But remember, COMMUNOS, you are a senior member of this group. We've be warned by a XDA moderator here. You should respect other people's opinion and avoid making unnecessary decision that will lead you to a ban in this thread.

Also, VD171, same warning to you. You greatly contributed in providing information about Redmi Note 9 especially to Akitake, who is another member in this group. But you should avoid getting into this argument. You are a main contributor, not some regular member. Be like it.
Main contributor? I could make several threads for the same files which would be included in a single thread. I rather chose to work in the telegram groups, you can join and see my work there, I provided LineageOS and several other bugless ports to the community when there were no custom roms around for the device.

Most of the guides VD171 has made were already released by us in telegram ages before he posted them on XDA.

Last edited:

Communos

Oct 28, 2019
Paris
Xiaomi Redmi 5
Google Pixel 3 XL
Then give me the link

Bliss port
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1wLAJkQvqS0A8EtNbOpGUdmo4oO0XZnl3&export=download

Lineage port

CrDroid port

Shapeshift port

These are to be flashed with a certain vendor. MIUI 11.0.2 Indonesia.

Please check https://t.me/HelioG85_Updates if you want proof that I made these.

If your UI lags, place props_conf in internal storage,flash MagiskHide Props config module in magisk manager and reboot
Props conf link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g8B2DIsz-l7oDBYpUdi3dXUsEPU35H9s/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Reactions: DavitidzeSh

c.whoopee

Feb 13, 2017
Bliss port
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1wLAJkQvqS0A8EtNbOpGUdmo4oO0XZnl3&export=download

Lineage port

CrDroid port

Shapeshift port

These are to be flashed with a certain vendor. MIUI 11.0.2 Indonesia.

Please check https://t.me/HelioG85_Updates if you want proof that I made these.
Why Indonesia? Can these be flashed on a global variant? Should I flash indonesia vendor instead of the global one in order for this to work?

Communos

Oct 28, 2019
Paris
Xiaomi Redmi 5
Google Pixel 3 XL
Why Indonesia? Can these be flashed on a global variant? Should I flash indonesia vendor instead of the global one in order for this to work?
This is a port, So vendor is included in it. But the problem is, If you flash on higher global varient, it will be downgrading vendor without bypassing ARB.
So it won't boot. You could give wiping system and vendor and then flashing a try, but I'm not sure.

Also if you're flashing these, do not flash Magisk before first boot. And after boot, there's a lag fix needed, Just install magiskhide props config module and place propsconf_conf in internal storage.

Check the channel, it has mentioned which builds don't have brightness fixes merged. For that https://telegra.ph/Firas-12-04

I don't know why would you like to use a port now, since AOSiP, Pixel experience and LineageOS roms are already out, and are smoother.

Note: Roms would need MIUI 12.0.1 vendor , since custom vendor hasn't been developed yet.

cleverdmasoy

May 29, 2014
Screenshot_2021-02-15-02-26-40-869_com.twitter.android.jpg

Wanna know the reason why devs wan't to get rid of stock rom MIUI it's because of their secret invasion of privacy. MIUI is not secure event PHH and Erfan, one of the devs of ubuntu touch does not trust miui. we need custom roms tbh

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-02-15-02-26-40-869_com.twitter.android.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-02-15-02-26-40-869_com.twitter.android.jpg
    603.6 KB · Views: 4

c.whoopee

Feb 13, 2017
This is a port, So vendor is included in it. But the problem is, If you flash on higher global varient, it will be downgrading vendor without bypassing ARB.
So it won't boot. You could give wiping system and vendor and then flashing a try, but I'm not sure.

Also if you're flashing these, do not flash Magisk before first boot. And after boot, there's a lag fix needed, Just install magiskhide props config module and place propsconf_conf in internal storage.

Check the channel, it has mentioned which builds don't have brightness fixes merged. For that https://telegra.ph/Firas-12-04

I don't know why would you like to use a port now, since AOSiP, Pixel experience and LineageOS roms are already out, and are smoother.

Note: Roms would need MIUI 12.0.1 vendor , since custom vendor hasn't been developed yet.
I am going to display a certain situation:

I have a Redmi Note 9, 4gb/128gb global variant (qjomixn). Suddenly, I stumbled upon your telegram channel about custom roms for Redmi Note 9 but the device that was flashed on is an Indonesian variant (qjoidxm). So, I have questions that you can answer with surety that this won't go sideways.
1.) What do you mean "downgrading vendor without bypassing ARB"? I
2.) SInce I am on a global variant, What recovery should I use to flash these ported roms?
3.) Does flashing a MIUI 12.0.1 Indonesia stable vendor on a global variant device work?

Communos

Oct 28, 2019
Paris
Xiaomi Redmi 5
Google Pixel 3 XL
I am going to display a certain situation:

I have a Redmi Note 9, 4gb/128gb global variant (qjomixn). Suddenly, I stumbled upon your telegram channel about custom roms for Redmi Note 9 but the device that was flashed on is an Indonesian variant (qjoidxm). So, I have questions that you can answer with surety that this won't go sideways.
1.) What do you mean "downgrading vendor without bypassing ARB"? I
2.) SInce I am on a global variant, What recovery should I use to flash these ported roms?
3.) Does flashing a MIUI 12.0.1 Indonesia stable vendor on a global variant device work?
1. Flashing a firmware of lower version on higher version can brick, Due to Xiaomi implementing Anti roll back.
2. TWRP should work fine.
3. For now, I haven't met anyone who has flashed only vendor and flashed these ports, they straight away downgraded miui by wiping system, wiping vendor and flashing the full miui firmware.

Please keep this mind.

12.0.1 Indonesia firmware is needed for the custom roms.

11.0.2 Indonesia firmware is needed for these ports.

Last edited:

c.whoopee

Feb 13, 2017
1. Flashing a firmware of lower version on higher version can brick, Due to Xiaomi implementing Anti roll back.
3. For now, I haven't met anyone who has flashed only vendor and flashed these ports, they straight away downgraded miui by wiping system, wiping vendor and flashing the full rom.

Please keep this mind.

12.0.1 Indonesia firmware is needed for the custom roms.

11.0.2 Indonesia firmware is needed for these ports.
Meaning it is not compatible with the global version of Redmi Note 9 since it does have different variations. So this is a BUST. Roms like this could mislead anyone who dares installing it in the first place without thinking a second thought. That is why threads on Redmi Note 9 ROMS like this should put what variation should this be compatible with in the title like:
[A10][Indonesian Variant] *Name of ROM*
or
[MERLIN][qjoidxm] *Name of ROM*

Communos

Oct 28, 2019
Paris
Xiaomi Redmi 5
Google Pixel 3 XL
3. For now, I haven't met anyone who has flashed only vendor and flashed these ports, they straight away downgraded miui by wiping system, wiping vendor and flashing the full rom.

Please keep this mind.

12.0.1 Indonesia firmware is needed for the custom rom
Meaning it is not compatible with the global version of Redmi Note 9 since it does have different variations. So this is a BUST. Roms like this could mislead anyone who dares installing it in the first place without thinking a second thought. That is why threads on Redmi Note 9 ROMS like this should put what variation should this be compatible with in the title like:
[A10][Indonesian Variant] *Name of ROM*
or
[MERLIN][qjoidxm] *Name of ROM*
BUST? this is not a generic system image, It's a port and they don't work with all vendors. Are you dumb enough not realise that many new devices don't have custom vendors and use a certain version of Vendor to flash roms?

Also, do you even realise that you can flash Indonesian firmware on your global varient? You can flash any regional miui rom for your device.

Your information is busted, not the roms. Please go in the telegram group, learn something and then talk here.

They have been tested, and found working on every varient of the note 9.

c.whoopee

Feb 13, 2017
BUST? this is not a generic system image, It's a port and they don't work with all vendors. Are you dumb enough not realise that many new devices don't have custom vendors and use a certain version of Vendor to flash roms?

Also, do you even realise that you can flash Indonesian firmware on your global varient? You can flash any regional miui rom for your device.

Your information is busted, not the roms. Please go in the telegram group, learn something and then talk here.
I never told YOU that this is a GSI rom... I never pointed out to you about GSI roms. The only thing that I said about the GSI roms is where I messed up and ended with a bootloop with no access to both bootloader nor recovery. That was my fault and shouldn't brought up.
All I did was asking you a question on whether you can flash this custom roms THAT YOU PORTED on a global variant and whether you can flash a vendor from an Indonesian Firmware to a Global Variant. SInce you TECHNICALLY said that you can flash an Indonesian firmware to a Global Variant, the only question is this.

"Could you please give me a very specific instructions on flashing Indonesian Variant on the same device running Global Variant?"

Communos

Oct 28, 2019
Paris
Xiaomi Redmi 5
Google Pixel 3 XL
I never told YOU that this is a GSI rom... I never pointed out to you about GSI roms. The only thing that I said about the GSI roms is where I messed up and ended with a bootloop with no access to both bootloader nor recovery. That was my fault and shouldn't brought up.
All I did was asking you a question on whether you can flash this custom roms THAT YOU PORTED on a global variant and whether you can flash a vendor from an Indonesian Firmware to a Global Variant. SInce you TECHNICALLY said that you can flash an Indonesian firmware to a Global Variant, the only question is this.

"Could you please give me a very specific instructions on flashing Indonesian Variant on the same device running Global Variant?"
That's not what you only did, you called my work a bust, without knowing it was you who was lacking the information, an apology for this would be appreciated. I can pretty much understand why your phone was bricked, since you don't know a lot of things you're supposed to know.

Anyways, to flash Indonesian firmware, connect phone in fastboot and type the following commands.

fastboot reboot fastboot
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase vendor
fastboot reboot bootloader

And then Open Mi Flash, download stock Indonesian rom from https://xiaomifirmwareupdater.com

And flash through MiFlash, select clean all option.

Pretty simple, isn't it?

c.whoopee

Feb 13, 2017
That's not what you only did, you called my work a bust, without knowing it was you who was lacking the information, an apology for this would be appreciated. I can pretty much understand why your phone was bricked, since you don't know a lot of things you're supposed to know.

Anyways, to flash Indonesian firmware, connect phone in fastboot and type the following commands.

fastboot reboot fastboot
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase vendor

And then Open Mi Flash, download stock Indonesian rom from https://xiaomifirmwareupdater.com

And flash through MiFlash, select clean all option.

Pretty simple, isn't it?
Then, I am sorry for calling out that this was a bust. I came here for information and to stop a senseless dispute by putting myself into it in the process. So in general, I need to erase system and vendor in order for me to flash the Indonesian fastboot rom. So, in your experience, what variant is your phone when you purchased it? Could you send me a video as proof that this works?

Communos

Oct 28, 2019
Paris
Xiaomi Redmi 5
Google Pixel 3 XL
Then, I am sorry for calling out that this was a bust. I came here for information and to stop a senseless dispute by putting myself into it in the process. So in general, I need to erase system and vendor in order for me to flash the Indonesian fastboot rom. So, in your experience, what variant is your phone before you customized it?
Global varient. Basically, the varient of the phone isn't important, the firmware that it's running is.

Before you go on to install custom roms and stuff, I'd recommend you to backup your IMEI for your own safety, just in case if your phone is bricked due to any mistake and needs format, you could restore IMEI back after wipe.

(Note to anyone who considers this is promotion: I do not own the YouTube channel and neither I'm affiliated with it by any means, and the video has not been monetized.)

Good luck flashing, let's forget the previous argument and move on :)

Reactions: c.whoopee

Communos

Oct 28, 2019
Paris
Xiaomi Redmi 5
Google Pixel 3 XL
Then, I am sorry for calling out that this was a bust. I came here for information and to stop a senseless dispute by putting myself into it in the process. So in general, I need to erase system and vendor in order for me to flash the Indonesian fastboot rom. So, in your experience, what variant is your phone when you purchased it? Could you send me a video as proof that this works?
I don't have any video proof, but here's a screenshot of Shapeshift port, which I'm currently using.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210215-143920994.jpg
    Screenshot_20210215-143920994.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 21

c.whoopee

Feb 13, 2017
NOTE TO ANYONE WHO READ THIS OTHER THAN ME AND COMMUNOS: DO NOT FOLLOW UNTIL PROVEN. I need to hear it from him.
  1. Flash Indonesian fastboot rom via ADB and Miflash.
    • Turn off phone and reboot to fastboot. Connect the said device to PC.
    • In PC, run cmd-here.exe in the adb directory and enter:
      • fastboot erase system
      • fastboot erase vendor
      • fastboot reboot bootloader to enter bootloader
    • Make sure you backup the IMEI to ensure safety before flashing via SP Tools.
    • Download an Indonesian fastboot rom from source then flash it to phone via MIFlash. (Recommend: 12.0.1 or lower)
    • After flashing, reboot the device and viola, you've got an Indonesian version of the MIUI to your Global Variant Device.
  2. Flashing TWRP.
    • Download the said recovery from this link below
    • Reboot device to bootloader and connect to PC.
    • In PC, run adb and type
      • "fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img" (vbmeta from the indonesian fastboot rom, NOT from the Global fastboot rom)
      • "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"
      • "fastboot reboot recovery"
      • After that, the recovery should be working.
  3. Flashing a Custom Rom.
    • Download a Custom Rom from a telegram or the links provided below:
    • Then, connect phone to PC and copy your preferred rom to SDCard (Memory card is recommended).
    • Reboot your phone to recovery.
    • In TWRP, select install and choose the rom from SDcard. Then, flash it.
    • Reboot your device.
    • Viola, you just customize your phone.
This summarize everything you have told me. If you want to add more, feel free to do so. But I can assure you that these are the things I understood and nothing more.

Communos

Oct 28, 2019
Paris
Xiaomi Redmi 5
Google Pixel 3 XL
NOTE TO ANYONE WHO READ THIS OTHER THAN ME AND COMMUNOS: DO NOT FOLLOW UNTIL PROVEN. I need to hear it from him.
  1. Flash Indonesian fastboot rom via ADB and Miflash.
    • Turn off phone and reboot to fastboot. Connect the said device to PC.
    • In PC, run cmd-here.exe in the adb directory and enter:
      • fastboot erase system
      • fastboot erase vendor
      • fastboot reboot bootloader to enter bootloader
    • Make sure you backup the IMEI to ensure safety before flashing via SP Tools.
    • Download an Indonesian fastboot rom from source then flash it to phone via MIFlash. (Recommend: 12.0.1 or lower)
    • After flashing, reboot the device and viola, you've got an Indonesian version of the MIUI to your Global Variant Device.
  2. Flashing TWRP.
    • Download the said recovery from this link below
    • Reboot device to bootloader and connect to PC.
    • In PC, run adb and type
      • "fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img" (vbmeta from the indonesian fastboot rom, NOT from the Global fastboot rom)
      • "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"
      • "fastboot reboot recovery"
      • After that, the recovery should be working.
  3. Flashing a Custom Rom.
    • Download a Custom Rom from a telegram or the links provided below:
    • Then, connect phone to PC and copy your preferred rom to SDCard (Memory card is recommended).
    • Reboot your phone to recovery.
    • In TWRP, select install and choose the rom from SDcard. Then, flash it.
    • Reboot your device.
    • Viola, you just customize your phone.
This summarize everything you have told me. If you want to add more, feel free to do so. But I can assure you that these are the things I understood and nothing more.
For downgrading

fastboot reboot fastboot
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase vendor

(Fastboot reboot fastboot is important step, it reboots your phone to userspace fastboot where you can erase system and vendor which you can't in normal fastboot.)

For TWRP
fastboot flash recovery.img
fastboot --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
fastboot reboot recovery

Please note that for flashing PORTS by me, 11.0.2 Indonesia rom is needed. Link: https://xiaomifirmwareupdater.com/miui/merlin/stable/V11.0.2.0.QJOIDXM/

For flashing CUSTOM ROMS 12.0.2 Indonesia rom is needed.

In TWRP, before flashing the PORT you have to wipe DATA, DALVIK, CACHE and INTERNAL STORAGE.
(DO NOT FLASH MAGISK RIGHT AFTER THE ROM, DO AFTER FIRST BOOT)

please note that the links I provided need 11.0.2 Indonesia firmware, 12.0.1 is for CUSTOM ROMS, These are PORTS, not source built ROMS.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Friendly reminder from the moderation team:

Please stay on topic(custom rom), as this is not a discussion thread about general rom preferences like stock rom.

Thank you!

strongst
    Forum Moderator
    D
    Deleted member 9635294
    Is this a development thread or a discussion thread?
    Do you only like opinions same of your opinions?
    We only like opinions that is contributive according to the title: Building custom roms from source for the Device codenamed Merlin. This thread will become a development thread as soon as a dev posts information, eta or problem about building a rom.
    Then, I am sorry for calling out that this was a bust. I came here for information and to stop a senseless dispute by putting myself into it in the process. So in general, I need to erase system and vendor in order for me to flash the Indonesian fastboot rom. So, in your experience, what variant is your phone before you customized it?
    Global varient. Basically, the varient of the phone isn't important, the firmware that it's running is.

Before you go on to install custom roms and stuff, I'd recommend you to backup your IMEI for your own safety, just in case if your phone is bricked due to any mistake and needs format, you could restore IMEI back after wipe.

(Note to anyone who considers this is promotion: I do not own the YouTube channel and neither I'm affiliated with it by any means, and the video has not been monetized.)

Good luck flashing, let's forget the previous argument and move on :)
    But, why custom?
    I really prefer the original stock ROM and keep the system unchanged.
    So I love magisk, because I can root without having to modify the system.
    Together, Xposed, XprivacyLua, Adblocker and TitaniumBackup are all perfectly fine.
    D
    Deleted member 9635294
    But, why custom?
    I really prefer the original stock ROM and keep the system unchanged.
    So I love magisk, because I can root without having to modify the system.
    Together, Xposed, XprivacyLua, Adblocker and TitaniumBackup are all perfectly fine.
    MIUI lag like crap and drains battery crazy, at least on my phone.