• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

burn in already

does your nexus 6 show any signs of burn in?

• yes

Votes: 201 24.6%
  • no

Votes: 616 75.4%

• Total voters
Search This thread
Oct 23, 2010
trying to capture it now, but all i have is my old htc one m7's camera and its not liking taking pictures of lit up screen. also while trying to get picture i just noticed on the lockscreen i can see the outlines of the triangle and square nav buttons.

msal

Mar 5, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
trying to capture it now, but all i have is my old htc one m7's camera and its not liking taking pictures of lit up screen. also while trying to get picture i just noticed on the lockscreen i can see the outlines of the triangle and square nav buttons.

That's awful. How did you manage to burn in the screen so quickly though? (assuming you've had it for a few days/weeks)

---------- Post added at 04:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 AM ----------

Oct 23, 2010
That's awful. How did you manage to burn in the screen so quickly though? (assuming you've had it for a few days/weeks)

i have no idea, its not like ive been on non stop or anything either and ive had brightness at around 50%. this is really irritating considering its only been week though. also ill have to post pics tomorrow when i can get ahold of an actual camera my htc ones is poop and jst makes a fuzzy mess when trying to capture it. just watched the video, that is exactly what i have. wish I hadn't watched it though, since now that I looked at the status bar I notice it there too. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: cmdauria

toyfreak

Feb 9, 2006
Indianapolis
This is going to be a big problem for Motorola. Not seeing this yet on mine but with only a couple days left to return it I will be looking carefully. Thanks for the heads-up.

marper123

Mar 3, 2014
I have the same thing happening to mine. Very faintly on my device. I'm floored that its happening already. My game plan is to let it get really bad over the next year and before the warranty runs out force a replacement if it gets any worse.

20degrees

Oct 11, 2012
Gonna use mine for 6 months and jump it for the G4 more than likely anyways.

This problem sucks for the people that buy it to use for a longer period.

G3

JManekia

May 20, 2012
You mean its wrong to expect a high end device to not have any defect for more than 6 months? If that is the case for this phone, better to just avoid than.

20degrees

Oct 11, 2012
No not at all. I mean it sucks period.. No device in this day and age should suffer from this. It won't bother me as much because I switch devices every so often. But for the people that don't, they pretty much paid high dollar for this..

G3

italia0101

Nov 9, 2008
People adore the Moto X right, and from that video she says it exhibits the same sort of burn in... not saying its a good thing , of course not, but it depends how far it progresses , she had her Moto X for quite a bit longer and the burn in wasn't noticeable unless you really looked for it .

will have to see i guess

HotInEER

May 22, 2010
Frederick, MD
People adore the Moto X right, and from that video she says it exhibits the same sort of burn in... not saying its a good thing , of course not, but it depends how far it progresses , she had her Moto X for quite a bit longer and the burn in wasn't noticeable unless you really looked for it .

will have to see i guess

That sucks. I haven't noticed it on my Nexus 6, but I have the 1 yr manufacturer warranty and I bought a warranty through Squaretrade so I should be good. My friend at work who sits next to me has the Moto X 2014 and i'll be sure to mention it to him so he can keep an eye out for it.

nicolasl46

Mar 29, 2010

will have to see i guess

She also did mention that the Moto X she only uses it for reviews and before that she barely used it. I had mine since monday (5 days) and while I'm not a heavy screen on user, I'm not seeing anything yet. Like others have said, if and when it gets noticeable, I'll just call my carrier and have it replaced (not a big deal).

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
This make me worried. I've had AMOLED phones before (Note 3, S3,S5) but I've never had any burn in. Is there a way to avoid it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Erica Griffin does nothing but post negative opinions and misinformation. She water tests phones that aren't even IP6/7 rated... furthermore taking them apart to show why they don't work (without an IP6 rating it's kind of a no brainier) so her credibility is zilch to me personally.

In regards to the so called screen burn in... I've had my Nexus 6 since Tuesday (25th) and I have zero burn in. The screen will retain some TEMPORARY image persistence if it is left in one orientation or display for a long period of time, HOWEVER, it will go away almost immediately (5-15 seconds) once you change your orientation, turn off the display, etc.

I have been doing a lot of testing with the display/panel on the N6. I am able to reproduce the image persistence when and if I want, but every time it immediately goes away and there is absolutely ZERO burn in left at any point in time.

If you guys have units with screen burn in, simply have them replaced as they are most likely defective panels. AMOLED screens can burn in over time, but within a few weeks is just not probable, unless you are abusing the display somehow -- plain and simple.

I'll be making a video about this specific subject as well a review, because Erica's video is really misleading people and to be honest, is sort of pissing me off.

You can't really believe that Google and Motorola would make a device with intentions of putting a cheap panel inside a flagship phone. It's just laughable really.
    Same here especially the status bar ?
    Dude! The burn in can't be seen in screenshots!!!
    Wouldn't worry too much... One or two people with a ton of followers had a problem and it becomes 'widespread'. AMOLED screens can burn in under certain circumstances. She claims that Samsung's don't.... she's completely full of crap. They do.

Don't fall into the trap of believing that reported issues mean everyone will have them. I could chuck my 6 against the wall and post a YouTube video claiming it shattered sitting in my pocket. Most of these channels are looking for views, so posting a video exposing some major problem will make headlines. It's being reshared all over the place and she's getting a ton of traffic. Headlines like 'Nexus 6 users reporting burn in' and they cite her video.

And going off forums isn't exactly the best source either. People find this place looking to solve problems more often than people looking to say 'this phone rules!'
    98% of the "burn in" complaints are actually image retention. There is a difference.

People just assume the worst because this has been blown WAY out of proportion.
    I just hope people don't jump on the burn-in train...such BS every year when a nexus is released some people are like: "My Nexus has *insert whatever defect*, therefor the overall build quality sucks and every unit has the same issues"

FFS guys, calm it down lol.

I can see some people over reacting about burn in but just as many seem to be calling those out who have it, or think they do, overly defending the device. I'm sure the videos and topics are making some paranoid, but others like me genuinely have traces of burn in. Not only do I see discoloration from the top and bottom bars but I see the triangle, circle and square. My nephew and fiancé both see them as well.