burn in already

does your nexus 6 show any signs of burn in?

• yes

Votes: 201 24.6%
  • no

Votes: 616 75.4%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Peylix

Oct 17, 2014
Seattle
I feel like I'm having flashbacks to the plasma days when countless threads existed from new plasma owners explaining to them nothing is burnt into your screen and that you're seeing IR. IR goes away, burn-in does not. We can thank tech bloggers for not having the intelligence to differentiate between the two causing all sorts of controversy. It's my biggest pet-peeve about tech bloggers in general. They never take the time to educate themselves as they are always in a hurry get to a story first for the clicks.

I'm not saying the Nexus WONT have burn in. Just saying those who complain after just 3 days is kinda ehh.
I've also seen others bring up the demo devices in stores. Well of course those will. Those displays are are hardly ever turned off if ever.

I'll agree with the plasma thing. Same thing happened but more often it was actual IR and not BI.

That aside. A lot of people who go completely ape s*** over this on the Nexus give an example that is only seen using a tester app and is not there unless you strain your eyes out of your head to see. Add that to mob mentality and then you have thousands of people acting like the phone can kill you over this.

jason504

Mar 3, 2013
I have had my phone for about 3 weeks now. I use my phone out the ass about 4 to 5 hours of on screen time a day I have no burn in. My screen gets bright. I came from a LG g pro with a 5.5 ips screen and I had to keep it at 85% all the time. When outside I could not even see it I would put it at 100 still pain in the ass to see. My nexus 6 I keep it at 50 % and it is bright. My point is ips Sucks the screen on the nexus 6 is better than any screen out there accept for the note 4. I am happy with this phone all around. If you have a ips display throw it in the garbage. I am glad they went with the amoled display. The note 4 might have a little bit better display but you are going to pay for that also.

doitright

Oct 31, 2014
I have had my phone for about 3 weeks now. I use my phone out the ass about 4 to 5 hours of on screen time a day I have no burn in. My screen gets bright. I came from a LG g pro with a 5.5 ips screen and I had to keep it at 85% all the time. When outside I could not even see it I would put it at 100 still pain in the ass to see. My nexus 6 I keep it at 50 % and it is bright. My point is ips Sucks the screen on the nexus 6 is better than any screen out there accept for the note 4. I am happy with this phone all around. If you have a ips display throw it in the garbage. I am glad they went with the amoled display. The note 4 might have a little bit better display but you are going to pay for that also.

Sounds like that specific one had a weak backlight. That isn't a problem with the display technology, just the backlight.
Fact is that LCD will always have a much better image quality at equal resolutions, to an AMOLED RGBG (which this is), and for the simple reasons that (a) it doesn't cheat on the resolution -- LCD will have the advertised resolution in all three color channels, and (b) it is easier to control the colors and obtain a more realistic image.

The... ONLY advantage of AMOLED is in power consumption. Rather than a constant power consumption when the screen is on, it varies with the image showing on the display. More colored pixels = more power consumption, theoretically matching the power consumption of an LCD only when showing a display that is FULL WHITE.

Note4 has almost exactly the same display as Nexus6. They're both made by Samsung in the same factory with the only differing spec being that they are slightly off in size. If you consider it as "better", then it is better in software ONLY. For example, the low brightness pinkishness that the Nexus exhibits... is because the software is configured to allow the brightness down lower than that of the Note4.

italia0101

Nov 9, 2008
Sounds like that specific one had a weak backlight. That isn't a problem with the display technology, just the backlight.
Fact is that LCD will always have a much better image quality at equal resolutions, to an AMOLED RGBG (which this is), and for the simple reasons that (a) it doesn't cheat on the resolution -- LCD will have the advertised resolution in all three color channels, and (b) it is easier to control the colors and obtain a more realistic image.

The... ONLY advantage of AMOLED is in power consumption. Rather than a constant power consumption when the screen is on, it varies with the image showing on the display. More colored pixels = more power consumption, theoretically matching the power consumption of an LCD only when showing a display that is FULL WHITE.

Note4 has almost exactly the same display as Nexus6. They're both made by Samsung in the same factory with the only differing spec being that they are slightly off in size. If you consider it as "better", then it is better in software ONLY. For example, the low brightness pinkishness that the Nexus exhibits... is because the software is configured to allow the brightness down lower than that of the Note4.
Interesting post, just wanted to say power consumption is not the ONLY advantage to amoled. Contrast ratio is unmatched, just saying

doitright

Oct 31, 2014
Interesting post, just wanted to say power consumption is not the ONLY advantage to amoled. Contrast ratio is unmatched, just saying

Ah yes, you're right. Because an lcd uses filters to "block" the backlight, achieving not quite perfect results, whereas amoled has no light at all from "black" pixels. That characteristic slipped my mind.

shadowcore

Apr 26, 2013
Hell

You are wrong there buddy. At least according to wikipedia, OLED screens consume up to 3 times more battery life in white backgrounds.

Unless you use a black only with white text screen, you wont see any advantages in that regard. The only advantage OLED screens have is contrast ratio.

my 2 cents

gruppe3942

Mar 5, 2009
I disagree with pinkish statement you made. I owned a nexus and I did have the pinkish screen. I now own the note 4 running cm12 and it as bright and white as it was on the tw rom

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com

DroidOnRoids

Dec 30, 2011
Baltimore, MD

doitright

Oct 31, 2014
You are wrong there buddy. At least according to wikipedia, OLED screens consume up to 3 times more battery life in white backgrounds.

Unless you use a black only with white text screen, you wont see any advantages in that regard. The only advantage OLED screens have is contrast ratio.

You misunderstand. I made no claims about the actual relative maximum power consumption. I suggested specifically that the relationship between full white AMOLED and "all the time" LCD is *IN THEORY*, which would depend on the specific characteristics of the two panels being compared, and also depend on equal implementation and equal brightness.... etc. There are a lot of variables, including the generally poor quality implementation of pretty much everything that comes out of Samsuck, such as all amoled display panels.

Also, I suggest finding a more reliable source to quote than wikipedia, and something a little bit more *current* than what they have there. Their 3x more power claim sites a news media writeup (arstechnica, not exactly the epitome of accuracy to begin with) that is over FIVE YEARS OLD, published Aug 11, 2009.

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

I disagree with pinkish statement you made. I owned a nexus and I did have the pinkish screen. I now own the note 4 running cm12 and it as bright and white as it was on the tw rom

Seeing as your reply does not relate to what you quoted, should I assume that you are replying to me? If you are, then I'm really not sure what point you are trying to make, since your claims do not in any way dispute what I said.

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

I created this daydream app (Screen saver) to do preemptive prevention of the burn-in. By default, the day dream can kick in if you have the phone on the charger for 20 minutes and then screen off. You can tweak the time for the day dream.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.liberty.android.burnindaydream

Well... that application really does NOT prevent burn-in. It actually accelerates it. It may only make it less *obvious* by burning in everywhere evenly. I suggest not using this, as it will ultimately reduce the life of the panel.

Hypochondria

May 20, 2013
98% of the "burn in" complaints are actually image retention. There is a difference.

People just assume the worst because this has been blown WAY out of proportion.

Can you explain the difference? When I google most of the results use the terms interchangeably. I'm guessing Image retention is temporary while burn in is permanent. So how do you tell which one you have? How long doe image retention last?

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
Can you explain the difference? When I google most of the results use the terms interchangeably. I'm guessing Image retention is temporary while burn in is permanent. So how do you tell which one you have? How long doe image retention last?
Open the burn in test app choose the gray background. If you see the nav bar icon like a circle on gray then it seems to blend in, that's retention. Its normal on most amoled screens. Severe burn in can be seen on any color not just gray for example.

Peylix

Oct 17, 2014
Seattle

They do go hand in hand. However IR is non permanent retention of the image. Can last anywhere from 10 seconds to 10 minutes. Depends on how long a static image was displayed.

That being said however. If a static image is displayed long enough, then the image retention will become permanent. Once permanent, the image is actually burned into the pixels of the display that will not fade. Hence the term "Burn In"

TL;DR
Image retention is temporary. Burn in is permanent.

Pecata

Dec 31, 2009
Salt Lake City
Something I just noticed on my Nexus 6(which reminds me of the Galaxy Nexus screen) that on whites and yellow(or any bright color) backgrounds I can see a faint shadow on certain parts of the screen. When I move the screen you can tell the shadows are staying underneath the screen(like a background) and the images are moving above it.
Have you noticed that on your Nexus 6? I have disabled the software buttons so I don't get a burn in on my screen but now this worries me....I remember Galaxy Nexus having the same issue, although is was much more visible on it...

msd24200

Jun 14, 2008
KY
I feel like I'm having flashbacks to the plasma days when countless threads existed from new plasma owners explaining to them nothing is burnt into your screen and that you're seeing IR. IR goes away, burn-in does not. We can thank tech bloggers for not having the intelligence to differentiate between the two causing all sorts of controversy. It's my biggest pet-peeve about tech bloggers in general. They never take the time to educate themselves as they are always in a hurry get to a story first for the clicks.

Did you buy it through AT&T? I know Verizon gives a year warranty on their devices and I assume AT&T is the same way. I got mine through Motorola and I'm using their year warranty that comes with the phone as my safety net if the screen actually does have a issue. That's enough peace of mind I need to deal with some IR that I never notice outside of test apps.
Lol my old Panasonic P50G10 still has an amazing picture with zero burn in or image retention. That said on my N6 I've been running my brightness around 25 - 30% and using gmd and the little circle although it's hard to see is still there.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

helloworld1

Sep 21, 2007
San Jose
You misunderstand. I made no claims about the actual relative maximum power consumption. I suggested specifically that the relationship between full white AMOLED and "all the time" LCD is *IN THEORY*, which would depend on the specific characteristics of the two panels being compared, and also depend on equal implementation and equal brightness.... etc. There are a lot of variables, including the generally poor quality implementation of pretty much everything that comes out of Samsuck, such as all amoled display panels.

Also, I suggest finding a more reliable source to quote than wikipedia, and something a little bit more *current* than what they have there. Their 3x more power claim sites a news media writeup (arstechnica, not exactly the epitome of accuracy to begin with) that is over FIVE YEARS OLD, published Aug 11, 2009.

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

Seeing as your reply does not relate to what you quoted, should I assume that you are replying to me? If you are, then I'm really not sure what point you are trying to make, since your claims do not in any way dispute what I said.

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Well... that application really does NOT prevent burn-in. It actually accelerates it. It may only make it less *obvious* by burning in everywhere evenly. I suggest not using this, as it will ultimately reduce the life of the panel.

The app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.liberty.android.burnindaydream will alleviate the burn-in so the it will not show up in the early stage. It will cost the screen's life though. But AMOLED's lifespan is about 25000 to 40000 hours so it doesn't matter that much for the cost of screen's lifespan.

greyhulk

Jan 14, 2009

You seriously need to stop spreading misinformation. Please do yourself a favor and read the Anandtech reviews for the Nexus 6 and Note 4. Just read the screen sections. The screens are nothing alike. The Nexus 6 is using OLDER Samsung screen tech. The Note 4 is using the latest, most power-efficient panel that Samsung has made to date, with a better pixel arrangement and higher maximum brightness. They are very far from "almost exactly the same display".

Reactions: gruppe3942

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Erica Griffin does nothing but post negative opinions and misinformation. She water tests phones that aren't even IP6/7 rated... furthermore taking them apart to show why they don't work (without an IP6 rating it's kind of a no brainier) so her credibility is zilch to me personally.

In regards to the so called screen burn in... I've had my Nexus 6 since Tuesday (25th) and I have zero burn in. The screen will retain some TEMPORARY image persistence if it is left in one orientation or display for a long period of time, HOWEVER, it will go away almost immediately (5-15 seconds) once you change your orientation, turn off the display, etc.

I have been doing a lot of testing with the display/panel on the N6. I am able to reproduce the image persistence when and if I want, but every time it immediately goes away and there is absolutely ZERO burn in left at any point in time.

If you guys have units with screen burn in, simply have them replaced as they are most likely defective panels. AMOLED screens can burn in over time, but within a few weeks is just not probable, unless you are abusing the display somehow -- plain and simple.

I'll be making a video about this specific subject as well a review, because Erica's video is really misleading people and to be honest, is sort of pissing me off.

You can't really believe that Google and Motorola would make a device with intentions of putting a cheap panel inside a flagship phone. It's just laughable really.
    Same here especially the status bar ?
    Dude! The burn in can't be seen in screenshots!!!
    Wouldn't worry too much... One or two people with a ton of followers had a problem and it becomes 'widespread'. AMOLED screens can burn in under certain circumstances. She claims that Samsung's don't.... she's completely full of crap. They do.

Don't fall into the trap of believing that reported issues mean everyone will have them. I could chuck my 6 against the wall and post a YouTube video claiming it shattered sitting in my pocket. Most of these channels are looking for views, so posting a video exposing some major problem will make headlines. It's being reshared all over the place and she's getting a ton of traffic. Headlines like 'Nexus 6 users reporting burn in' and they cite her video.

And going off forums isn't exactly the best source either. People find this place looking to solve problems more often than people looking to say 'this phone rules!'
    98% of the "burn in" complaints are actually image retention. There is a difference.

People just assume the worst because this has been blown WAY out of proportion.
    I just hope people don't jump on the burn-in train...such BS every year when a nexus is released some people are like: "My Nexus has *insert whatever defect*, therefor the overall build quality sucks and every unit has the same issues"

FFS guys, calm it down lol.

I can see some people over reacting about burn in but just as many seem to be calling those out who have it, or think they do, overly defending the device. I'm sure the videos and topics are making some paranoid, but others like me genuinely have traces of burn in. Not only do I see discoloration from the top and bottom bars but I see the triangle, circle and square. My nephew and fiancé both see them as well.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone