BusyBox and terminal emulator

Search This thread

Arturofm2

Mar 23, 2013
Hi, I don't have this really clear.

BusyBox is needed for terminal emulator. Now... I guess that in that terminal you enter commands, but, what commands? Do you guys have a list or at list some examples to know if it is like a pc: regedit, or cmd>ipconfig ...

And what is the use of Busybox besides a base to the terminal emulator?

Thanks

dwitherell

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2011

BusyBox is needed for terminal emulator. Now... I guess that in that terminal you enter commands, but, what commands? Do you guys have a list or at list some examples to know if it is like a pc: regedit, or cmd>ipconfig ...

Thanks

Ok so I may be off on these... but this is my current understanding anyway (and please correct me folks if I'm wrong) -

- Busybox is a binary that contains within it a number of functions more commonly seen in linux environments (the "toolbox" android stock roms come with is rather limited in this sense)
- This "busybox" binary, when installed, makes it so you can do a number of the common-to-linux-terminal-environment commands you would have available to you if you were running some flavor of a linux distro - things like cp, mkdir, chmod, etc.

The commands are then accessible via something like terminal emulator (by its own name it's basically emulating a linux terminal environment) and are essentially the same as what you would have on any basic linux distribution, though sometimes they won't have all the extended functionality (via flags and what not) that you would normally see.

Hope that helps :)

Reactions: Arturofm2

Arturofm2

Mar 23, 2013
Ok so I may be off on these... but this is my current understanding anyway (and please correct me folks if I'm wrong) -

- Busybox is a binary that contains within it a number of functions more commonly seen in linux environments (the "toolbox" android stock roms come with is rather limited in this sense)
- This "busybox" binary, when installed, makes it so you can do a number of the common-to-linux-terminal-environment commands you would have available to you if you were running some flavor of a linux distro - things like cp, mkdir, chmod, etc.

The commands are then accessible via something like terminal emulator (by its own name it's basically emulating a linux terminal environment) and are essentially the same as what you would have on any basic linux distribution, though sometimes they won't have all the extended functionality (via flags and what not) that you would normally see.

Thanks dwitherell, I also found this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=31500912, I thought it was something else, but I think I won't need it because most apps do this with a graphical environment.

ciphercodes

Oct 25, 2012
If you want to know the list of commands/applets simply browse to
/system/xbin from the terminal emulator and run ls command to list all installed applets.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Ænimal

kugamu

Sep 27, 2022
Please help correct these errors

Attachments

• 1664285136237.png
    1664285136237.png
    245.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 1664285180052.png
    1664285180052.png
    199.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 1664285204364.png
    1664285204364.png
    241.8 KB · Views: 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks

/system/xbin from the terminal emulator and run ls command to list all installed applets.

Just typing busybox will list them all out as well :)