• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Buy a Pixel 5 now or wait for Pixel 6?

Search This thread

paul_cherma

Apr 20, 2021
Hey guys,

I wanted your opinion regarding the Pixel 5. How happy are you with the aesthetics of the device? How does it feel on hand and how does it feel in the pocket?

This year I've tried a bunch of phones and I want to switch to something smaller and that has good camera and good battery life. Currently I have a s21 Ultra which is a good overall phone but this thing feels like a brick, it's heavy when you carry it and if you have a good case the phone is even bigger and heavier. Tried a regular S21 but that again was a bit bulky and heavy when used with a good thick case.

I've been reading about the Pixel 6 (all rumors at this point) but it seems like they are going to increase the size in the 6 series. The smallest upcoming Pixel 6 you can get will be 6.3~6.4 inches and even though it will have upgraded cameras and better specs I think I would just avoid buying it because of the size.

What do you recommend? Should I just buy the Pixel 5 now or maybe wait until the 6 series are released and then make a decision ?

paul_cherma

Apr 20, 2021
Absolutely NOTHING wrong with the Pixel 5. I LOVE mine.
That being said, no XL version. I didn't like that. I came from P2XL. I like bigger screens. I'll probably get the 6XL
Im trying to stay at a maximum screen size of 6". And I want the weight to be reasonable. Another phone that's getting my attention is the asus zenfone 8. Seems like the ergonomic king of all androids powered phones right now. But it's a tough call between the regular supported software of pixel vs Asus.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
Hey guys,

I wanted your opinion regarding the Pixel 5. How happy are you with the aesthetics of the device? How does it feel on hand and how does it feel in the pocket?

This year I've tried a bunch of phones and I want to switch to something smaller and that has good camera and good battery life. Currently I have a s21 Ultra which is a good overall phone but this thing feels like a brick, it's heavy when you carry it and if you have a good case the phone is even bigger and heavier. Tried a regular S21 but that again was a bit bulky and heavy when used with a good thick case.

I've been reading about the Pixel 6 (all rumors at this point) but it seems like they are going to increase the size in the 6 series. The smallest upcoming Pixel 6 you can get will be 6.3~6.4 inches and even though it will have upgraded cameras and better specs I think I would just avoid buying it because of the size.

What do you recommend? Should I just buy the Pixel 5 now or maybe wait until the 6 series are released and then make a decision ?

So I'm someone who shares somewhat similar views / opinions. Just changed from an lg v40 to a pixel 3, very happy with a smaller screen and less weight.

It absolutely is an individual thing, of course. Some constantly use their device, gaming, video's etc etc, and a bigger screen (read heavy) outweighs (punny) other aspects.

But if yer like me, really only use the device as a phone, take good pics occasionally, facebook a little, etc... AND carry it in your pocket always, then size and weight become prominent in the choice.

Seeing as google is going the 'bigger is better' route, I'd say a 3, 4 or 5 is where I'll be for years to come (thanks!! Lineage!). Basically, I just don't do enough screen / face time to justify a larger heavier phone.

But a 5 now? Naaah, it won't be long, with 5a and 6 becoming available, the price will drop. buy then.

cheers

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 5
Im trying to stay at a maximum screen size of 6". And I want the weight to be reasonable. Another phone that's getting my attention is the asus zenfone 8. Seems like the ergonomic king of all androids powered phones right now. But it's a tough call between the regular supported software of pixel vs Asus.
Then you will more than happy with the Pixel 5. It's a great device

Reactions: bobby janow

paul_cherma

Apr 20, 2021
So I'm someone who shares somewhat similar views / opinions. Just changed from an lg v40 to a pixel 3, very happy with a smaller screen and less weight.

It absolutely is an individual thing, of course. Some constantly use their device, gaming, video's etc etc, and a bigger screen (read heavy) outweighs (punny) other aspects.

But if yer like me, really only use the device as a phone, take good pics occasionally, facebook a little, etc... AND carry it in your pocket always, then size and weight become prominent in the choice.

Seeing as google is going the 'bigger is better' route, I'd say a 3, 4 or 5 is where I'll be for years to come (thanks!! Lineage!). Basically, I just don't do enough screen / face time to justify a larger heavier phone.

But a 5 now? Naaah, it won't be long, with 5a and 6 becoming available, the price will drop. buy then.

cheers

The idea of switching to a smaller phone came to me after I was hiking and traveling with some friends for about 3 weeks and most of them had bought the Iphone Mini. I was surprised by how a tiny phone like that was pretty much on par with my s21U and some other top of the line expensive android phones that some other friends were using. It took good pictures, battery life was good, and even though I had a beast on me (the S21U) when we compared pics, battery life, browsing, app switching, etc, I saw very minimal differences. The damn thing feels like a toy when you hold it but it is such a good device. Now I can not use an Iphone as my daily driver, I don't hate their products, they're just not for me. The main criteria for me has always been

1. it has to be android OS,

2. must be root friendly

3. good battery and good pictures

Carrying the S21U around is kind of a pain in the butt lol. I can certainly use it with one hand as a tall person with big hands but it's so uncomfortable just carrying it around. And for the specs it has I was expecting more out of it... so far it has simply been a good device. I can't say I am impressed or wow-ed by it.

I think I'll wait for the 5a be announced and see it in person before making a decision but I am already 60% against buying it as it seems like they will up the screen size to 6.2 inches. The camera and processor will stay the same pretty much as the pixel 5 -> but it will be cheaper than a Pixel 5 so I'm not sure if that'll be enough for me to consider it. I'm definitely not waiting for the 6 series to be released though, at this point it seems "confirmed" that all the 6 series will be at the 6.3-6.4 screen size and up.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
The idea of switching to a smaller phone came to me after I was hiking and traveling with some friends for about 3 weeks and most of them had bought the Iphone Mini. I was surprised by how a tiny phone like that was pretty much on par with my s21U and some other top of the line expensive android phones that some other friends were using. It took good pictures, battery life was good, and even though I had a beast on me (the S21U) when we compared pics, battery life, browsing, app switching, etc, I saw very minimal differences. The damn thing feels like a toy when you hold it but it is such a good device. Now I can not use an Iphone as my daily driver, I don't hate their products, they're just not for me. The main criteria for me has always been

1. it has to be android OS,

2. must be root friendly

3. good battery and good pictures

Carrying the S21U around is kind of a pain in the butt lol. I can certainly use it with one hand as a tall person with big hands but it's so uncomfortable just carrying it around. And for the specs it has I was expecting more out of it... so far it has simply been a good device. I can't say I am impressed or wow-ed by it.

I think I'll wait for the 5a be announced and see it in person before making a decision but I am already 60% against buying it as it seems like they will up the screen size to 6.2 inches. The camera and processor will stay the same pretty much as the pixel 5 -> but it will be cheaper than a Pixel 5 so I'm not sure if that'll be enough for me to consider it. I'm definitely not waiting for the 6 series to be released though, at this point it seems "confirmed" that all the 6 series will be at the 6.3-6.4 screen size and up.

I can relate, for sure. Have never tried an iPhone but sincerely doubt it would work for me either. I hate the proprietary 'you're forced to do it this way, whether you like it or not'.

Agree, the 5a and 6's are going to be too big. Only reason I'd wait for them to come out is then, the p5 will drop in price. Then I'd get the p5 ;)

Reactions: paul_cherma

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
I really enjoy my pixel 5. Perfect size. I did really like the S20, however, I didn't want to give up root. Also, at the time it said that on Verizon I wouldn't get 5g with the Intl version, but I do believe that I would of gotten it (not that I've seen 5g even once in my area on the Pixel 5... but that's another discussion) As for battery/pictures, I haven't owned a Samsung in recent years, and this being my first Pixel, I am really impressed with the camera. And Battery for me is wonderful. I am not a heavy user, very minimal, not many apps, no social media, no gaming, etc. so my baseline wont be the same as yours, but the Pixel 5 fairs well considering its specs.

I can't imagine using a phone too much larger than the S21. My brother recently upgraded his S20. It's so, darn, heavy. I'd get used to it with time, but going from my P5 with a slim case, to playing with his S21 is difficult. I am considering the Pixel 6/S21/S22/others/ here soon, but if I am content with the P5, I'll be on it for as long as I can make it last..

I agree to wait for the 5a to be released, even the 6 if you can wait it out, as then the deals for a new one, or someone letting go of a lightly used one should be for a good price.

Reactions: AsItLies

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I usually get the latest phone each year but if the P6 is a millimeter over 6" I might have to skip it. The P5 at 5.7" is really the largest I'd like but 6 is max. It just won't fit in my running shorts or my saddle bag and would probably fall out of my pocket in the car. They really need to rethink the larger size or just go the standard/XL route so everyone is happy.

paul_cherma

Apr 20, 2021
I can relate, for sure. Have never tried an iPhone but sincerely doubt it would work for me either. I hate the proprietary 'you're forced to do it this way, whether you like it or not'.

Agree, the 5a and 6's are going to be too big. Only reason I'd wait for them to come out is then, the p5 will drop in price. Then I'd get the p5 ;)
how much does google discount the older phone when they release new ones usually? I've never shopped for Pixel phones so I'm not familiar with their strategy. Right now Pixel 5 sells for $699 on their website

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
how much does google discount the older phone when they release new ones usually? I've never shopped for Pixel phones so I'm not familiar with their strategy. Right now Pixel 5 sells for $699 on their website
Not positive but it should be discounted 100 to maybe 150, initially. So think about the cycle of the pixel 4, and where it is now. It was originally 799, but it's at 400 now and a 4a is 350.

Those are much more reasonable prices for the phone, imho. I have a pixel 3 and with lineage available, more than happy to use it until the price drops.

cheers

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
Pixel 6 is going to be a major jump in terms of design and camera hardware. I would totally wait for it.

And, playing devils advocate here, some would say the 'major jump' in design is a major jump backwards (they will be too big). Camera hardware is changing, that's a good thing always. But it's worth asking yourself; are u unhappy with the pics you get now? I mean, if you're not taking photos professionally, is this a difference (assuming there is one) that would matter to you?

cheers

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Pixel 6 is going to be a major jump in terms of design and camera hardware. I would totally wait for it.
I'd agree with the specs and design improvements, however, the OP didn't really seem that concerned with better this or that. He was concerned about the size and bulkiness of the device, which I am in the same boat. At 5.7" the P5 is simply the right size for a lot of folks. In the 9 months I've had it I've been totally satisfied with everything about it including battery life. Looking at 6.3 is a big difference. Now if they can keep the weight down and perhaps max it at 6.1 well that's a different story. And then there's the price. One caveat is the $699 price now of the P5. That needs to go on sale for $599. Then it's a buy without waiting imo. The next couple of months should be interesting as leaks are released.

paul_cherma

Apr 20, 2021
It would have been nice if they kept the screen size for one of the 6 series phones to 6.1" maximum. Looks like they are upping that to 6.4". The big screen size alone is keeping me away from wanting to get one. Also Wonder if there will be a huge difference for point and shoot or daytime pictures between the 5 and 6... we'll see when they do the comparisons.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
It would have been nice if they kept the screen size for one of the 6 series phones to 6.1" maximum. Looks like they are upping that to 6.4". The big screen size alone is keeping me away from wanting to get one. Also Wonder if there will be a huge difference for point and shoot or daytime pictures between the 5 and 6... we'll see when they do the comparisons.
And just like that I get an alert on my news feed that the P5 is out of stock across the board. I wonder what's going on. I'm hoping that there is a P6 and a P6 XL.

paul_cherma

Apr 20, 2021
I'd agree with the specs and design improvements, however, the OP didn't really seem that concerned with better this or that. He was concerned about the size and bulkiness of the device, which I am in the same boat. At 5.7" the P5 is simply the right size for a lot of folks. In the 9 months I've had it I've been totally satisfied with everything about it including battery life. Looking at 6.3 is a big difference. Now if they can keep the weight down and perhaps max it at 6.1 well that's a different story. And then there's the price. One caveat is the $699 price now of the P5. That needs to go on sale for $599. Then it's a buy without waiting imo. The next couple of months should be interesting as leaks are released.
I'm really hoping that they keep the screen size to a maximum of 6.1. From the leaks so far it seems that they are going for the big screen though. I'm using a s21U now, I like the camera, not exceptional but it's better than good imo. I really like the zoom capabilities of it also, they come in handy if you want to zoom to far away objects. But I'm getting tired of these big screen and heavy phones. It's sad that there's not many Android operated devices that have a good size and good specs and are root friendly.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3

Agree. Google will no doubt make improvements to the camera ability. Believe I've read the high res zoom will go from 2x to 6x. Great of course. But the closer you zoom in, the steadier you have to be, thus the exposure has to be quick, meaning the ISO has to be high (grain). During a bright sunny day it will probably work well.

Me personally though, I'll stick with my 40x zoom Canon pocket camera, if I'm going out to shoot birds or something. While sure, it would be nice to have a phone with more zoom power... do you need it? how often u gonna use that?

realistically speaking, it's a 'nice to have', but certainly not something I've ever thought I needed.

cheers

jbleasdale

Feb 16, 2007
An alternative suggestion - get a 4a super cheap for now and see how the 5a and 6 pan out.

I have owned 4a and 5, moving to them from the S20. Both are excellent and while the differences between 4a and 5 might look significant on paper, they are barely noticeable in use. The 4a is quite the bargain.

XNine

Dec 28, 2010
Denver
HTC 10
OnePlus 6
What I liked:
-Size. Though I personally prefer a 6.2" screen (the OP6 was perfect), having it smaller was actually really nice instead of the giant bricks most phones have become.
-Camera. Even though the hardware isn't the greatest, the software makes the Pixel 5 take some damn fine photos for the price.
-Root!!!

There's some downsides to the Pixel 5 in my opinion.
-Under glass speaker (who in engineering thought this was okay?) This is insanely annoying and I can't fathom how anyone could deal with this, and is the main reason I returned mine.
-Piss poor hardware (it's slow, and noticably so).
-God awful Haptics.
-On mine, sometimes it would actually butt-dial people even though I had a finger print set up. Or it wouldn't answer calls even if I got answer 50 times (this doesn't mean this happens to every one, I firmly believe mine was possessed)

Your mileage may vary, and you may be okay with my gripes, but if it were me, I'd wait for the 6.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

cheers
    That center camera hole is another form of design that bothers the hell outta me. All the Samsungs I've been using have had it and even though ideally I would like no selfie camera at all, I can love with the corner camera of the Pixel 5. And at this point the sizes of the 6 are confirmed. Looks like the market is fine with big screen phones and even though I've owned 6.5" and larger screen sized phones in the last few years I'm trying to go back to more compact and smaller screens now. With a good, thick case and already the large size of the phones nowadays they have become very uncomfortable to carry around and on hand.

I see a lot of people expressing much the same. It seems the phone industry has been becoming the phablet industry. I'm sure they all look at stats and simply figure 'there's more money in it going with these sizes, etc'.

So those of us that prefer something 'pocketable' and 'weight appropriate' will probably see more and more limited choices. Too many people see phones as an 'all in one device', size be damned. Actually, they prefer a big screen on their 'tablets, that happen to also be able to make phone calls'.

Personally, I'm using a pixel 3, 5.5" screen. And it doesn't need to be any bigger, plenty big enough for a phone, imho. Must be in the minority though.
    Wait for Pixel 17.
    I hate how it keeps being a battle to keep making a jumbo sized phone each year. The pixel 5 is already large enough and unless you put your phone in a purse, a large phone is getting to the point where it is inconvenient. At the gym, hiking, etc.

The pixel 5 has 5g, it's still relatively smaller and the last one to include free photo storage. Those alone make it still useful for me.