• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Buy a Pixel 5 now or wait for Pixel 6?

Search This thread

OMJ

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jun 11, 2007
MN
twitter.com
don't forget about the Pixel 4a 5g....I've had it since launch, great device! Depending on the specs of the Pixel 6/6XL, I may just stick w/ the 4a5g.

Reactions: andybones

luckysoul777

Mar 6, 2015
Hey guys,

I wanted your opinion regarding the Pixel 5. How happy are you with the aesthetics of the device? How does it feel on hand and how does it feel in the pocket?

This year I've tried a bunch of phones and I want to switch to something smaller and that has good camera and good battery life. Currently I have a s21 Ultra which is a good overall phone but this thing feels like a brick, it's heavy when you carry it and if you have a good case the phone is even bigger and heavier. Tried a regular S21 but that again was a bit bulky and heavy when used with a good thick case.

I've been reading about the Pixel 6 (all rumors at this point) but it seems like they are going to increase the size in the 6 series. The smallest upcoming Pixel 6 you can get will be 6.3~6.4 inches and even though it will have upgraded cameras and better specs I think I would just avoid buying it because of the size.

What do you recommend? Should I just buy the Pixel 5 now or maybe wait until the 6 series are released and then make a decision ?
I love my Pixel 5 for its battery life. It can easily go for 2 days with a full charge! Also, I like to operate my phone with just one hand. Anything bigger than a Pixel 5 would make it impossible.

Further, I like the fingerprint sensor on the back. Its response is instant, and it very rarely fails to detect. With the way I hold my phone, my index finger would always be over this sensor. This means as soon as I pick up my phone, the display is unlocked. If the way you hold your phone happens to place a different finger over this sensor, you can add more than just your index fingers. I don't know the theoretical limit, but index and middle fingers are more than sufficient for me.

With that said, I would wait till Pixel 6 comes out just in case it offers some compelling new features. Even if your decision then is still a Pixel 5, I get a feeling that the price would be dropped to make way for Pixel 6.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I wanted your opinion regarding the Pixel 5. How happy are you with the aesthetics of the device? How does it feel on hand and how does it feel in the pocket?

This year I've tried a bunch of phones and I want to switch to something smaller and that has good camera and good battery life. Currently I have a s21 Ultra which is a good overall phone but this thing feels like a brick, it's heavy when you carry it and if you have a good case the phone is even bigger and heavier. Tried a regular S21 but that again was a bit bulky and heavy when used with a good thick case.

I've been reading about the Pixel 6 (all rumors at this point) but it seems like they are going to increase the size in the 6 series. The smallest upcoming Pixel 6 you can get will be 6.3~6.4 inches and even though it will have upgraded cameras and better specs I think I would just avoid buying it because of the size.

What do you recommend? Should I just buy the Pixel 5 now or maybe wait until the 6 series are released and then make a decision ?
I absolutely love the Pixel 5. I bought 3 months ago & it's served me without fail. Perfect size for me too, I am weary of overly large phablets that don't fit properly in a pocket, as well.

paul_cherma

Apr 20, 2021
And just like that I get an alert on my news feed that the P5 is out of stock across the board. I wonder what's going on. I'm hoping that there is a P6 and a P6 XL.
I read the news too. But I can buy one now on Amazon and looks like delivery will be end of Aug-beginning of September. There's gotta be inventory I'm assuming, looks like it's been out of stock and back in stock frequently from what I'm reading. But I'll probably be patient and wait till September or so and see if I can get it discounted.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
no doubt. It's just that they will increase the screen size and I hoped they wouldn't do that
Same here. I hope this is not written in stone but I'm afraid it might be. Unfortunately, this will not be an immediate buy for me although I will probably pre-order and then decide if I want it shipped depending on hands-on reviews. I might have to buy new running shorts with a larger zip pocket if the reviews are outstanding. I guess we can get used to anything these days. And perhaps a mitigating factor is thinness of the device, but we shall see.

One confusing thing to me is body size vs display size. The P5 is listed at 5.7 body and 6" display, I presume due to diagonal measurement vs linear. So at a display of 6.3 I wonder what the body size would be. The 4a 5G is listed at 6.2" display with a body of a hair over 6". So depending on the design we might be ok on size. Anyway time to install the August security update.

edit: You can view the colors of the P6 and Pro on the Google store now. I like the orange one since I have the sage P5.
edit2: https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/08/03/the-pixel-5-makes-me-wish-for-a-pixel-6-mini/

Last edited:
Reactions: paul_cherma

paul_cherma

Apr 20, 2021
Same here. I hope this is not written in stone but I'm afraid it might be. Unfortunately, this will not be an immediate buy for me although I will probably pre-order and then decide if I want it shipped depending on hands-on reviews. I might have to buy new running shorts with a larger zip pocket if the reviews are outstanding. I guess we can get used to anything these days. And perhaps a mitigating factor is thinness of the device, but we shall see.

One confusing thing to me is body size vs display size. The P5 is listed at 5.7 body and 6" display, I presume due to diagonal measurement vs linear. So at a display of 6.3 I wonder what the body size would be. The 4a 5G is listed at 6.2" display with a body of a hair over 6". So depending on the design we might be ok on size. Anyway time to install the August security update.

edit: You can view the colors of the P6 and Pro on the Google store now. I like the orange one since I have the sage P5.
edit2: https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/08/03/the-pixel-5-makes-me-wish-for-a-pixel-6-mini/
That center camera hole is another form of design that bothers the hell outta me. All the Samsungs I've been using have had it and even though ideally I would like no selfie camera at all, I can love with the corner camera of the Pixel 5. And at this point the sizes of the 6 are confirmed. Looks like the market is fine with big screen phones and even though I've owned 6.5" and larger screen sized phones in the last few years I'm trying to go back to more compact and smaller screens now. With a good, thick case and already the large size of the phones nowadays they have become very uncomfortable to carry around and on hand.

Reactions: bobby janow

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
That center camera hole is another form of design that bothers the hell outta me. All the Samsungs I've been using have had it and even though ideally I would like no selfie camera at all, I can love with the corner camera of the Pixel 5. And at this point the sizes of the 6 are confirmed. Looks like the market is fine with big screen phones and even though I've owned 6.5" and larger screen sized phones in the last few years I'm trying to go back to more compact and smaller screens now. With a good, thick case and already the large size of the phones nowadays they have become very uncomfortable to carry around and on hand.

I see a lot of people expressing much the same. It seems the phone industry has been becoming the phablet industry. I'm sure they all look at stats and simply figure 'there's more money in it going with these sizes, etc'.

So those of us that prefer something 'pocketable' and 'weight appropriate' will probably see more and more limited choices. Too many people see phones as an 'all in one device', size be damned. Actually, they prefer a big screen on their 'tablets, that happen to also be able to make phone calls'.

Personally, I'm using a pixel 3, 5.5" screen. And it doesn't need to be any bigger, plenty big enough for a phone, imho. Must be in the minority though.

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
Orange County, California
I hate how it keeps being a battle to keep making a jumbo sized phone each year. The pixel 5 is already large enough and unless you put your phone in a purse, a large phone is getting to the point where it is inconvenient. At the gym, hiking, etc.

The pixel 5 has 5g, it's still relatively smaller and the last one to include free photo storage. Those alone make it still useful for me.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I agree with all of you. This is a giant cluster by Google imo. Yeah they'll sell to the phablet crowd but they are going to lose a lot of folks. I'll hold on to the P5 now until it dies and then look to another company. Someone will fill the space. And just wait until the price is announced. Possibly a grand for the pro and 9 for the other monstrosity. Very disappointed in their decision.

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
Orange County, California
I agree with all of you. This is a giant cluster by Google imo. Yeah they'll sell to the phablet crowd but they are going to lose a lot of folks. I'll hold on to the P5 now until it dies and then look to another company. Someone will fill the space. And just wait until the price is announced. Possibly a grand for the pro and 9 for the other monstrosity. Very disappointed in their decision.

Now that the photo storage is gone and all phones are bigger now with a higher price Google isn't offering anything unique compared to other phone mfgs.

Being forced to buyer a bigger phone which will be a higher price is the same as being forced to pay 5k on top of sticker for a few frills in a new car that is now being sold as a "base model".

If you won't buy the extras we will just sell it to you as a default package. Esp over $699, Google needs to check itself if they think they are going sell a pixel at 1k.

The 5 still gets updates for several years plus 5G so this is what I will keep in lieu of what I am seeing with the pixel 6.

Reactions: bobby janow

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

So I'm someone who shares somewhat similar views / opinions. Just changed from an lg v40 to a pixel 3, very happy with a smaller screen and less weight.

It absolutely is an individual thing, of course. Some constantly use their device, gaming, video's etc etc, and a bigger screen (read heavy) outweighs (punny) other aspects.

But if yer like me, really only use the device as a phone, take good pics occasionally, facebook a little, etc... AND carry it in your pocket always, then size and weight become prominent in the choice.

Seeing as google is going the 'bigger is better' route, I'd say a 3, 4 or 5 is where I'll be for years to come (thanks!! Lineage!). Basically, I just don't do enough screen / face time to justify a larger heavier phone.

But a 5 now? Naaah, it won't be long, with 5a and 6 becoming available, the price will drop. buy then.

cheers

I see a lot of people expressing much the same. It seems the phone industry has been becoming the phablet industry. I'm sure they all look at stats and simply figure 'there's more money in it going with these sizes, etc'.

So those of us that prefer something 'pocketable' and 'weight appropriate' will probably see more and more limited choices. Too many people see phones as an 'all in one device', size be damned. Actually, they prefer a big screen on their 'tablets, that happen to also be able to make phone calls'.

Personally, I'm using a pixel 3, 5.5" screen. And it doesn't need to be any bigger, plenty big enough for a phone, imho. Must be in the minority though.
    Wait for Pixel 17.
    I hate how it keeps being a battle to keep making a jumbo sized phone each year. The pixel 5 is already large enough and unless you put your phone in a purse, a large phone is getting to the point where it is inconvenient. At the gym, hiking, etc.

The pixel 5 has 5g, it's still relatively smaller and the last one to include free photo storage. Those alone make it still useful for me.
    It would have been nice if they kept the screen size for one of the 6 series phones to 6.1" maximum. Looks like they are upping that to 6.4". The big screen size alone is keeping me away from wanting to get one. Also Wonder if there will be a huge difference for point and shoot or daytime pictures between the 5 and 6... we'll see when they do the comparisons.