Buy the T-Mobile Oneplus 6T

Search This thread

gbohlmann42

Jun 20, 2015
The $300 off deal ends tomorrow so please repost, share, and comment as much as possible

I read the Do Not Buy the T-Mobile OnePlus 6t post and concluded, like I am sure many of you did, that I would need to pay full price for the unlocked version from OnePlus to get the freedom I wanted. Then I read this on androidpolice.com

"T-Mobile versions of the phone will be carrier and bootloader locked as expected, but a mechanism for their unlocking is described. Once devices are paid off in full and utilized on the network for at least 40 continuous days, they can be carrier unlocked, at which point you can request an unlock token for bootloader unlocking from OnePlus. The phone can also be paid off early even if you elect to use the payment plan for the $300-off promo, and bill credits will continue to be received"

Source: https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/...mobile-version-restrictions-bootloader-betas/

and subsequently chatted with a T-Mobile rep(screenshots below) and have changed my mind. The Do Not Buy the T-Mobile OnePlus 6t post completely mischaracterized the situation and failed to acknowledge many key points. The only good reason to buy the T-Mobile is for the bill credits and I believe the "drawbacks" are worth the $300.

The supposed drawbacks are as follows.

1. Only one version. Mirror Black 128gb

Do not know how you could use 128gb let alone twice that, and the frosted black scratches more easily anyway(JerryRigEverything's video)

2. You can't get the $300 bill credit if you pay off the phone immediately.

Incorrect. Despite multiple sources online saying otherwise, you can pay off the phone and still get bill credits according to a T-Mobile rep I spoke with. (screenshots below) The rep states that you should wait till your first bill cycle to pay off phone to be safe(I will be doing so) but even if you pay immediately and don't receive the credits its nothing a call to customer service wouldn't fix.

3. You have to wait 40 days to carrier unlock

Incorrect. Carriers will keep their customers at all costs. If you call customer service saying you are leaving the country they will happily unlock the phone early.

Source:
https://www.androidauthority.com/t-mobile-oneplus-6t-bootloader-unlock-922051/

4. Have to wait 1-2 weeks for bootloader unlock token

No argument here, I can wait 2 weeks to save $300.

5. Only one sim slot.

It appears that the only difference is the sim tray, not the actual slot hardware so there will almost certainly be sim tray modding tutorials. Apparently, the device has a different modem with only one IMEI so dual SIM may not be possible at all but this is still unresolved and most likely hackable.

I just spent like an hour putting this together so show me some love and get this higher then the Do Not Buy the T-Mobile Post.

iYMLWvx.png

86SSAMh.png

0IhVwMZ.png

Last edited:

999blb

Aug 12, 2013
Akron
I actually ended up getting my OnePlus 6T from T-Mobile today. I had my old OnePlus One, which I did love when I used it, but I felt that this trade in deal was too hard to pass up.

I was talking to my store's representative during my purchase, who told me that I wouldn't get my credits early if I paid it off early. I generally did leave the store feeling a bit unsure, so before I even unboxed my 6T, I ended up calling in myself and the representative I spoke with told me otherwise--that if you pay off early once the promo has actually been approved, then you'll continue to receive the credits overtime and that it would ideally be 40 days with service before I could request a SIM unlock.

To defend more your points more concerning the Mirror Black 128GB version: The T-Mobile variant is the version with 8GB of RAM, which is future proofing the device and overall going to make for better memory management. I ordered dBrand skins this morning to both customize my phone's look and to protect the phone's glass back. Only an extra $10-$15 to do so.

I truly sat on the promo and thought if it would be worth it or not, and once I saw it was ending tomorrow, I deemed it was worth it myself. Getting $300 off, which is only $50 less than what my the One cost back in 2014, is an amazing deal for a device like this. I've enjoyed my few hours with the 6T and am excited to use it now over my Galaxy S8.

Dameon87

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 30, 2008
OnePlus 8
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Agreed. People are so early to cry out in panic without bothering to do the research. Hopefully in the next week or so we will start seeing actual development pop up supporting the TMobile variant. I bought the TMobile variant and aside a few updates and minor hurdles I'm more than happy. This is an awesome device, unlocked or not.

People just need to stay patient and let us do what we do best here at XDA. Mod the **** out of stuff and make all kinds of fun stuff.

Now maybe the developer in me is saying this, but I welcome the challenge. I like having things to work on.

Let's do it up right and drop the constant slew of negativity.

Gungrave223

Jun 12, 2011
Loganville
It is a good deal... Unless you have JOD... When I went to the store to buy mine the system wouldn't let me finance with the promo under my JOD plan... And I would have to change to the basic ONE plan... So I took a hard pass on that...

The JOD plan was a truely "Uncarrier" plan that I plan on keeping for as long as possible.

BuLLeT_PrOOf_wAlleTz

Dec 29, 2010
I got the phone the second day it came out. I traded a LG G6 that was almost 2 years old. I held off the Samsung phones for a good reason..
This is a killer deal. And not a lot of casual people are taking it for granted. Maybe because there's no gimmicky marketing to shove down their throats.
I will be definitely be paying this phone off early.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Free4ever2

Jun 7, 2013
This deal was perfect for me. My old N6 was due for a replacement, and I have a grandfathered T-Mobile plan that I'll never drop. As soon as I saw the $300 off promotion for trading my old N6 for the Oneplus 6T, I jumped on it immediately. Where else can I get a SD 845, 8GB ram, 128GB storage, 6.4" AMOLED, 3700mAh phone with specs similar to flagships for $300?

I knew going in that the bootloader was locked, and I may have to wait two years until I paid off my phone before I could unlock it. Every single phone that I have ever owned until now was unlockable and rootable, but this deal was too good to pass. I was considering paying of the phone early and maybe getting it unlocked in a few months. But after a few attempts I got T-Mobile to sim unlock my phone, and I expect that OnePlus will send me the unlock file within two weeks. So this deal is great if you already are with T-Mobile and have an old eligible phone lying around. And who really cares if the T-Mo variant comes in shiny black, it will end up in a case anyway.

Saythis

Jan 30, 2012
You Must be talking about XDA from five years ago. Even pixel phones don’t get development on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I plan to hopefully put out my own custom kernel. I've already got my source setup and my custom cortex-a75/a55 toolchain ready. Just need my unlock.bin and then the real fun begins :fingers-crossed:

It is a good deal... Unless you have JOD... When I went to the store to buy mine the system wouldn't let me finance with the promo under my JOD plan... And I would have to change to the basic ONE plan... So I took a hard pass on that...

The JOD plan was a truely "Uncarrier" plan that I plan on keeping for as long as possible.

You can use JOD if you pay off your current device in full.

Or you can just search Facebook market/Craigslist for a cheap iPhone 6, Galaxy S6, Nexus 6, or some other phone you can find for $60-$100. And still get $200+ off of the phone.

I am getting it via JOD on the 28th. I don't care about the sim unlock or even the bootloader unlock. I did a JOD upgrade from the S9 to the LG G7 ThinQ on October 29th and got it all setup just as the announcement was made. I had heard rumors about it coming to T-Mobile but I don't trust rumors cause 99% of the time that's all they are.

I have wanted to jump on the Oneplus band wagon for a while but didn't have the means and this partnership is perfect. With this next upgrade I will now stop upgrading monthly, which drives my wife crazy.

OrganicRobot

Jul 24, 2017
Day 1 TMO purchaser here, very happy with the phone. Even though I came from an unlocked S9+ and was apprehensive at first, the $300 deal was too good to pass up. I'm in the same boat as others above have described, our family plan is an older plan that I'd be hard pressed to change.

Gungrave223

Jun 12, 2011
Loganville
You can use JOD if you pay off your current device in full.

Or you can just search Facebook market/Craigslist for a cheap iPhone 6, Galaxy S6, Nexus 6, or some other phone you can find for $60-$100. And still get $200+ off of the phone.

I am getting it via JOD on the 28th. I don't care about the sim unlock or even the bootloader unlock. I did a JOD upgrade from the S9 to the LG G7 ThinQ on October 29th and got it all setup just as the announcement was made. I had heard rumors about it coming to T-Mobile but I don't trust rumors cause 99% of the time that's all they are.

I have wanted to jump on the Oneplus band wagon for a while but didn't have the means and this partnership is perfect. With this next upgrade I will now stop upgrading monthly, which drives my wife crazy.

In order to do the JOD upgrade I had to buy the phone outright but I wanted to be able to unlock the bootloader so with that in mind, if I had to pay the full 580 without a trade in or 380 with a trade in (I was trading my pixel 2xl and 200 wasn't enough for that trade) then it just made sense to buy directly from 1+ which is what I did.
@truckerdewd the 1+ 6t is not eligible for leasing under the JOD.... but if your store rep says otherwise then please let me know.

Correct. Here's what is stated in the official deal for Jump and Jump on Demand.

T-Mobile said:
If I have JUMP! or JUMP! On Demand (JOD), can I still save 50% on a new OnePlus 6T?

If you have JUMP!, you can choose to take advantage of your upgrade benefit if you've paid off 50% of the device OR you can take advantage of this offer if you've paid off (or choose to pay off) your device in full. You have the choice to take advantage of whichever is the better deal works best for you!

To participate in the $300 trade-in on JUMP! or JUMP! On Demand (JOD) you will need to trade in an eligible device that is paid off and then purchase the new device via EIP.

For JUMP!, you can take advantage of this promotion if you have an eligible device, pay off any remaining balance, and trade-in your paid off device.

For JUMP! On Demand (JOD), you must elect to purchase your device and pay off any remaining balance. If the device is an eligible trade-in for this offer, you may trade it in and then take advantage of this offer.

Last edited:

justibasa

Feb 6, 2011
Elk Ridge, UT
Agreed. People are so early to cry out in panic without bothering to do the research. Hopefully in the next week or so we will start seeing actual development pop up supporting the TMobile variant. I bought the TMobile variant and aside a few updates and minor hurdles I'm more than happy. This is an awesome device, unlocked or not.

People just need to stay patient and let us do what we do best here at XDA. Mod the **** out of stuff and make all kinds of fun stuff.

Now maybe the developer in me is saying this, but I welcome the challenge. I like having things to work on.

Nice to see a few people that have the same opinion I do. ?

Reactions: jrno1 and ozzmanj1
In order to do the JOD upgrade I had to buy the phone outright but I wanted to be able to unlock the bootloader so with that in mind, if I had to pay the full 580 without a trade in or 380 with a trade in (I was trading my pixel 2xl and 200 wasn't enough for that trade) then it just made sense to buy directly from 1+ which is what I did.

@truckerdewd the 1+ 6t is not eligible for leasing under the JOD.... but if your store rep says otherwise then please let me know.

It is eligible for for Jump On Demand. It is posted all over Reddit and other places. I also reached out to T-Mobile Help on Twitter

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-11-08-09-28-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-11-08-09-28-38.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 201

I'm not doing the trade in. I am just doing a a regular JOD upgrade. That is all. I wouldn't be ae to take advantage of the trade anyway if I was gonna go that route cause I am in the hospital right now waiting for surgery.

Last edited:

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
T-Mobile is being intentionally vague. You should be able to do a normal JOD to the 6T without credits and without paying off your current phone and then normal JOD to the OP7 without credits in a few months if T-Mobile carries it.

They want you on EIP and off JOD.

Gungrave223

Jun 12, 2011
Loganville
I'm not doing the trade in. I am just doing a a regular JOD upgrade. That is all. I wouldn't be ae to take advantage of the trade anyway if I was gonna go that route cause I am in the hospital right now waiting for surgery.

6T is eligible for JOD. My wife did it last week.

T-Mobile is being intentionally vague. You should be able to do a normal JOD to the 6T without credits and without paying off your current phone and then normal JOD to the OP7 without credits in a few months if T-Mobile carries it.

They want you on EIP and off JOD.

I honestly don't know how then...cause the guy showed me the screen with the 2 options pay the phone in full with JOD or finance with promotion and change my plan. There wasn't a third option for my account... but if it works out for yall then awesome. I wasn't that fortunate.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The $300 off deal ends tomorrow so please repost, share, and comment as much as possible

I read the Do Not Buy the T-Mobile OnePlus 6t post and concluded, like I am sure many of you did, that I would need to pay full price for the unlocked version from OnePlus to get the freedom I wanted. Then I read this on androidpolice.com

"T-Mobile versions of the phone will be carrier and bootloader locked as expected, but a mechanism for their unlocking is described. Once devices are paid off in full and utilized on the network for at least 40 continuous days, they can be carrier unlocked, at which point you can request an unlock token for bootloader unlocking from OnePlus. The phone can also be paid off early even if you elect to use the payment plan for the $300-off promo, and bill credits will continue to be received"

Source: https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/...mobile-version-restrictions-bootloader-betas/

and subsequently chatted with a T-Mobile rep(screenshots below) and have changed my mind. The Do Not Buy the T-Mobile OnePlus 6t post completely mischaracterized the situation and failed to acknowledge many key points. The only good reason to buy the T-Mobile is for the bill credits and I believe the "drawbacks" are worth the $300.

The supposed drawbacks are as follows.

1. Only one version. Mirror Black 128gb

Do not know how you could use 128gb let alone twice that, and the frosted black scratches more easily anyway(JerryRigEverything's video)

2. You can't get the $300 bill credit if you pay off the phone immediately.

Incorrect. Despite multiple sources online saying otherwise, you can pay off the phone and still get bill credits according to a T-Mobile rep I spoke with. (screenshots below) The rep states that you should wait till your first bill cycle to pay off phone to be safe(I will be doing so) but even if you pay immediately and don't receive the credits its nothing a call to customer service wouldn't fix.

3. You have to wait 40 days to carrier unlock

Incorrect. Carriers will keep their customers at all costs. If you call customer service saying you are leaving the country they will happily unlock the phone early.

Source:
    https://www.androidauthority.com/t-mobile-oneplus-6t-bootloader-unlock-922051/

4. Have to wait 1-2 weeks for bootloader unlock token

No argument here, I can wait 2 weeks to save $300.

5. Only one sim slot.

It appears that the only difference is the sim tray, not the actual slot hardware so there will almost certainly be sim tray modding tutorials. Apparently, the device has a different modem with only one IMEI so dual SIM may not be possible at all but this is still unresolved and most likely hackable.

I just spent like an hour putting this together so show me some love and get this higher then the Do Not Buy the T-Mobile Post.

iYMLWvx.png

86SSAMh.png

0IhVwMZ.png

please and thank you!!! ive had **** luck so far

Here is my conversation with T-Mobile. I posted this up before. Hope it helps and good luck. If you get shut down, wait for a bit and try again with a diff rep. I know some people tried several times before one said yes. I was fortunate to get it the first time around. Keep me updated.
    Here is my conversation with T-Mobile. I posted this up before. Hope it helps and good luck. If you get shut down, wait for a bit and try again with a diff rep. I know some people tried several times before one said yes. I was fortunate to get it the first time around. Keep me updated.

Brooo
    You are a life saver. My phone is on finance for 2 years and this rep helped me out on the first go!!!

Nice to see a few people that have the same opinion I do. ?