Buyer's remorse?

Search This thread

Dajinn

Jun 18, 2010
so i bought the verizon galaxy nexus, and i'm having slight buyer's remorse =/. the LTE network is definitely fast, and ICS is good software but i feel like the GN just had shoddy radios. even with the 4.0.4 update and hybrid radios found on XDA i can't seem to get consistent signal with it.

at most i get 2 bars of 3G or 4G, the hand off between them is **** too. when LTE drops it takes at least a good 10-15 seconds before i either find 3G again or get some network connectivity back. the unfortunate reality is that when LTE terminates the entire network operation can go down temporarily(on the device). i'm in a pretty good metropolitan area for verizon, but sadly I've had better reception on many of T-Mobiles phones on their 3G and HSPA+.

the buyer's remorse is strong with this one =/. i tried the HTC Rezound but the current ICS builds are not that great. and i don't want to be stuck /w an outdated device for too long.

what do you guys think?

bongd

Jun 20, 2010
The only remorse I had was not pre-ordering mine so it'd arrive sooner.

I haven't had any problems with my radio at all. Best reception I've had in a while.

@rbiter

Dec 4, 2011
Could be your area or Verizon's network. It has been on the fritz since it rolled out.

Sent from my Nexus in Texas.

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA
The only remorse I had was not pre-ordering mine so it'd arrive sooner.

I haven't had any problems with my radio at all. Best reception I've had in a while.

Assuming you have the GSM version though if you're actually on Rogers. Most complaints about signal are coming from VZW people.

Kalavere

Feb 12, 2010
Not having an LTE phone doesn't really qualify me to give advice, but I can only assume other LTE phones you have had have worked just fine?

Dajinn

Jun 18, 2010
well i haven't really had verizon ever, the "4G" hspa+ phones from tmobile work better than the VZW nexus i have here now...like i said, I ordered the Rezound and tried it, the LTE and overall reception is just plain out far better but at this point it is kind of a sore subject for me. i'm kind of locked to ICS and 720p, but the ICS leaks for the rezound are subpar and just sluggish.. the only reason i went /w VZW was because of the nexus, but i think it would just be more economic and honestly less of a hassle to just go back to t-mobile because of unlocked GSM phones. the CDMA out where i live just proves to be subpar at every corner. i don't really get how VZW and Sprint can stay in business out here(i'm from southeast houston).

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA
well i haven't really had verizon ever, the "4G" hspa+ phones from tmobile work better than the VZW nexus i have here now...like i said, I ordered the Rezound and tried it, the LTE and overall reception is just plain out far better but at this point it is kind of a sore subject for me. i'm kind of locked to ICS and 720p, but the ICS leaks for the rezound are subpar and just sluggish.. the only reason i went /w VZW was because of the nexus, but i think it would just be more economic and honestly less of a hassle to just go back to t-mobile because of unlocked GSM phones. the CDMA out where i live just proves to be subpar at every corner. i don't really get how VZW and Sprint can stay in business out here(i'm from southeast houston).

Return it and get away from VZW then. Go back to T-Mo and get a HSPA+ Nexus. You'll be better off for it.

catfish

Nov 17, 2006
Osaka
No remorse

Bought the Nexus and am very happy since I purchased the extended battery from Samsung. My Galaxy Nexus last around 12 hours, just about 1 day with normal to heavy useage of email and net surfing.
Very happy user!

eakeller

Sep 3, 2008
Washington, DC
Return it and get away from VZW then. Go back to T-Mo and get a HSPA+ Nexus. You'll be better off for it.

This is EXACTLY what I am doing right now. I sold my VZW Nexus tonight, and am looking to buy a GSM Nexus sometime tomorrow or Monday in order to use ATT or (less likely) TMO. I had a few radio issues like you mention, but they weren't enough to bother me too much. The simple truth is I'm freaking sick of VZW and their friggin' methods of doing things, mostly revolving around the way they try to turn their customers into ATMs for their own coffers. I used to use them because they had the best network/tech, but in the past year or so it has become more and more evident they are having some serious problems with their network. I could care less WHY it is happening and more THAT it is happening.

It's pushed me over the edge to wave goodbye and leave the "service" provider. At least ATT and TMO don't make a habit of treating their customers like $#it and they don't make a practice of nickle and diming them to death. It is unlikely that I will ever return to VZW, even if they regain the status of "best network" and "best hardware". If necessary I would settle for slightly less powerful hardware and slightly less network coverage/performance in order to vote with my $ and my conscience against the corporation itself. Screw Verizon. :)

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA
This is EXACTLY what I am doing right now. I sold my VZW Nexus tonight, and am looking to buy a GSM Nexus sometime tomorrow or Monday in order to use ATT or (less likely) TMO. I had a few radio issues like you mention, but they weren't enough to bother me too much. The simple truth is I'm freaking sick of VZW and their friggin' methods of doing things, mostly revolving around the way they try to turn their customers into ATMs for their own coffers. I used to use them because they had the best network/tech, but in the past year or so it has become more and more evident they are having some serious problems with their network. I could care less WHY it is happening and more THAT it is happening.

It's pushed me over the edge to wave goodbye and leave the "service" provider. At least ATT and TMO don't make a habit of treating their customers like $#it and they don't make a practice of nickle and diming them to death. It is unlikely that I will ever return to VZW, even if they regain the status of "best network" and "best hardware". If necessary I would settle for slightly less powerful hardware and slightly less network coverage/performance in order to vote with my $ and my conscience against the corporation itself. Screw Verizon. :)

Right on. Not to sound like a broken record, but you look like another candidate for the Prepaid Thread. Take a look in there before you sign up for service. Take control and own your service.

SpyderMS

Feb 12, 2009
El Mirage, AZ
I'm in the exact same boat as the OP. Got my VZW Galaxy Nexus four days ago. Switched from TMO after 11 years specifically for this phone since they didn't announce availability on TMO at MWC. Had a Nexus One off contract, and was waiting very patiently for the Galaxy Nexus, but with VZW's double-data promotion, and a nice 20% corporate discount, I decided to make the switch.

Despite VZW's JD Power awards for network quality, I'm getting horrible reception on this phone compared to what I would get with TMO. 3G data speeds are a 10-20% of what I'd get through TMO as well, and the Nexus One wasn't even a '4G' phone! LTE can be decent... get about 5-8mbps where I live, but I work in downtown Phoenix and get about 1-2mbps, on LTE! That's insane. I'd pull 2-4mbps on my Nexus One anywhere around the Phoenix Metro area. The day after I activated the phone the connection dropped completely, at random, for more than 30 minutes each time. Thankfully I've yet to see that again. I'll be watching real close for the next week to decide whether to keep it or not... Kind of sad I missed out on Daily Steals $530 deal for the GSM version.

Edit: Forgot to add that, aside from the network issues, the phone itself is absolutely amazing...

Last edited:

IFLATLINEI

Dec 27, 2010

I hate to call someone out around here. I love these forums and the people who participate. I was with this poster up until the " At least ATT and TMO don't make a habit of treating their customers like $#it and they don't make a practice of nickle and diming them to death." Really man? Att? Have you been paying attention? I just think its funny. Your confused bud and looks like you need to do some real research before making your decision..

Reactions: BinkXDA

kwiggington

Sep 4, 2010
Indianapolis
I hate to call someone out around here. I love these forums and the people who participate. I was with this poster up until the " At least ATT and TMO don't make a habit of treating their customers like $#it and they don't make a practice of nickle and diming them to death." Really man? Att? Have you been paying attention? I just think its funny. Your confused bud and looks like you need to do some real research before making your decision..

all of them nickle and dime tmo chargers 5 bucks for exchanging defect phones i had verizon for 2 years and glad when contract was up their customer service was horrid and lte kept crashing verizon sucks worst of all in my opinion

Sent from the bridge of the
U.S.S. Enterprise using L.T.Com Worf

Bear207

Dec 3, 2011
Augusta
Had my N since launch day in Dec by VZN. Had many dropped calls, poor 3G speeds, random reboots, battery pull req'd, sluggish behaviour & poor photo quality. Terribly aggravated with VZN handling of the launch & subsequent o/s updates....lack thereof.

Last week rooted & applied 4.0.4 with radio updates. & am so far happier. Here in Maine we don't have LTE & probably won't this year.

Regardless, would not even consider switch back to lying cheating good for little ATT. Remember, none of the carriers give a damn about us except for our paying our bills on time & betting good little sheep.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

userfriendlyme

I'm not discounting anyone's experience but I left tmo after 6+ years to VZW just for the nexus. I guess people expect some miracle coverage but its just as spotty as T-Mobile network. My only complaint really with VZW is there pricing however I totally knew what I was getting into before buying the nexus. T-Mobile hardly treats there customers like royalty anymore their customer service went from top notch to WTF and was my main reason for leaving. VZW customer service is how I remember T-Mobile back in the day. I thought I would regret leaving but I must say the gnex was worth it. The few gripes I had with the phone disappeared once I updated to 4.0.4. I definitely don't suggest
Staying with services your not happy with VZW LTE isn't for everyone.

Reactions: sbrownla

ericatomars23

Mar 23, 2011
Chicago, IL
I live in Chicago and coming from a bionic I totally know what you mean. I had great 4g coverage on my bionic and I'm super disappointed to see this phone have such terrible coverage. But when I went to north river side mall which is right outside the city I had full bars of 4G.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

Serinety

Aug 29, 2010
Davis, CA
so i bought the verizon galaxy nexus, and i'm having slight buyer's remorse =/. the LTE network is definitely fast, and ICS is good software but i feel like the GN just had shoddy radios. even with the 4.0.4 update and hybrid radios found on XDA i can't seem to get consistent signal with it.

at most i get 2 bars of 3G or 4G, the hand off between them is **** too. when LTE drops it takes at least a good 10-15 seconds before i either find 3G again or get some network connectivity back. the unfortunate reality is that when LTE terminates the entire network operation can go down temporarily(on the device). i'm in a pretty good metropolitan area for verizon, but sadly I've had better reception on many of T-Mobiles phones on their 3G and HSPA+.

the buyer's remorse is strong with this one =/. i tried the HTC Rezound but the current ICS builds are not that great. and i don't want to be stuck /w an outdated device for too long.

what do you guys think?

Return it and get the rezound. The radio is incredible.. and ics is just as good on it as the gnex.

On my gnex I coulndt get signal at my house. With the rezound it get 3 to 4 bars.

Compared to the gnex.. it feels much higher quality. It's fast , sexy screen, and ice goodness.. best choice I ever made :)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA App

MMcCraryNJ

Jul 19, 2010
Acworth, GA USA
I dunno man, I live in a suburb of Atlanta, and with T-Mobile I was getting anywhere from 400 kbps to 1.2 mbps tops, dropping calls, phone wouldn't even ring sometimes and I wouldn't get the voicemail indication until 8 hours after the fact.

Now I'm getting about 25-30 Mbps over LTE with no voice issues whatsoever.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'm not discounting anyone's experience but I left tmo after 6+ years to VZW just for the nexus. I guess people expect some miracle coverage but its just as spotty as T-Mobile network. My only complaint really with VZW is there pricing however I totally knew what I was getting into before buying the nexus. T-Mobile hardly treats there customers like royalty anymore their customer service went from top notch to WTF and was my main reason for leaving. VZW customer service is how I remember T-Mobile back in the day. I thought I would regret leaving but I must say the gnex was worth it. The few gripes I had with the phone disappeared once I updated to 4.0.4. I definitely don't suggest
    Staying with services your not happy with VZW LTE isn't for everyone.
    I'm in the exact same boat as the OP. Got my VZW Galaxy Nexus four days ago. Switched from TMO after 11 years specifically for this phone since they didn't announce availability on TMO at MWC. Had a Nexus One off contract, and was waiting very patiently for the Galaxy Nexus, but with VZW's double-data promotion, and a nice 20% corporate discount, I decided to make the switch.

Despite VZW's JD Power awards for network quality, I'm getting horrible reception on this phone compared to what I would get with TMO. 3G data speeds are a 10-20% of what I'd get through TMO as well, and the Nexus One wasn't even a '4G' phone! LTE can be decent... get about 5-8mbps where I live, but I work in downtown Phoenix and get about 1-2mbps, on LTE! That's insane. I'd pull 2-4mbps on my Nexus One anywhere around the Phoenix Metro area. The day after I activated the phone the connection dropped completely, at random, for more than 30 minutes each time. Thankfully I've yet to see that again. I'll be watching real close for the next week to decide whether to keep it or not... Kind of sad I missed out on Daily Steals $530 deal for the GSM version.

Edit: Forgot to add that, aside from the network issues, the phone itself is absolutely amazing...

Some networks work better in certain areas than others. Get over it and go with what works best for where you will use it. Done.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone