Bypass Communication Error 8 : GPS Time in wrong epoch

Search This thread

dehelfix

Mar 11, 2012
Vermont
During the last daylight savings time update, my 2020 Subaru Legacy got messed up and jumped a GPS Epoch, the car now thinks its the year 2040.

This throws a Communication Error 8 whenever I try to use Android Auto, manually setting the time does not work.

Reading Subaru forums, it seems that only replacing the cars central computing unit can reset this time, but that theres a several month delay getting the parts due to chip shortages. But with Covid ending I got a lot of driving to do this summer.

I have a Pixel 2XL thats rooted with Magisk and was wondering if there was any way to bypass this error and get AA working?

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 2.36.26 PM.png

Last edited:

marchnz

• Nov 26, 2012
    wombleton
    During the last daylight savings time update, my 2020 Subaru Legacy got messed up and jumped a GPS Epoch, the car now thinks its the year 2040.

This throws a Communication Error 8 whenever I try to use Android Auto, manually setting the time does not work.

Reading Subaru forums, it seems that only replacing the cars central computing unit can reset this time, but that theres a several month delay getting the parts due to chip shortages. But with Covid ending I got a lot of driving to do this summer.

I have a Pixel 2XL thats rooted with Magisk and was wondering if there was any way to bypass this error and get AA working?

View attachment 5284337

What does the vehicle dealer suggest.

dehelfix

Mar 11, 2012
    Vermont
    Swap the central computer is the only fix they know, when they get the part, which might be months. According to others its happened to, that fixed the issue, but at least one person had it come back later...so clearly an issue in their software. But not very optimistic i'll get it fixed anytime this summer...so thought there might be something i could do to trick it into thinking its the right time set via a magisk module or root app or something.

Reactions: marchnz

dehelfix

Mar 11, 2012
    Vermont
    Here are my technician notes from the dealership:

per techline- this is a known issue, engineers are working on software update to correct concern but not available yet with no known timeframe for availability. for customer satisfaction ordered new cockpit control unit to correct issue. techline states- replacement CCU will correct concern, but does not know how long until concern returns, may not return. also stated, android auto compares time stamps from cellphone network to time stamps with gps network from car, if finds correlation issue will not pair phone. CCU on order/will call customer when it arrives

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Swap the central computer is the only fix they know, when they get the part, which might be months. According to others its happened to, that fixed the issue, but at least one person had it come back later...so clearly an issue in their software. But not very optimistic i'll get it fixed anytime this summer...so thought there might be something i could do to trick it into thinking its the right time set via a magisk module or root app or something.
      Have they tried to re-flash your Subie?
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone