Question Bypass OEM unlock

Search This thread
Jan 18, 2015
Has anyone used the payload dumper to pull out the boot.img from stock firmware, modified it with Magisk, put it back into the payload file to then upload the pre-rooted firmware using Qualcomm tools?

Would this work so that my IMEI/Serial isn't blacklisted by ASUS?

Jan 18, 2015
Just for clarification, I'm talking about steps 1-3 (from the incredible write-up here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rooting-zenfone-9-with-magisk.4484715/)

Instead of part/step four, take the file moved back to the PC and put it back into payload.bin, then into the zipped ROM file.

part/step five would be to use QFIL to load that onto the device (https://www.techswizz.com/asus-zenfone-9-stock-rom-firmware/).

Or is it impossible to update the payload_properties.txt so that it reflects any changes to the payload.bin file?

Thank you.

Veiranx

Dec 2, 2020
Moto G Power
Google Pixel 5
Has anyone used the payload dumper to pull out the boot.img from stock firmware, modified it with Magisk, put it back into the payload file to then upload the pre-rooted firmware using Qualcomm tools?

Would this work so that my IMEI/Serial isn't blacklisted by ASUS?
In other words: you're trying to bypass the need to unlock the bootloader through ASUS (thus invalidating your phone's warranty)?

I have not tried it, though with them claiming security, I doubt it would work. While the bootloader is locked, they have expectations for exactly what can be used. Variations on that are likely to lead to errors.

Jan 18, 2015
In reading their EULA, the hardware warranty is only invalidated when using their unlock. It is a specific clause in the unlock agreement, not in the normal EULA. As such, if the phone is unlocked any other way than their unlock program, the warranty is still applicable.

That is why I am looking for any other mechanism to unlock it.

Veiranx

Dec 2, 2020
Moto G Power
Google Pixel 5
In reading their EULA, the hardware warranty is only invalidated when using their unlock. It is a specific clause in the unlock agreement, not in the normal EULA. As such, if the phone is unlocked any other way than their unlock program, the warranty is still applicable.

That is why I am looking for any other mechanism to unlock it.
Well, this method might very well brick your phone. If you're willing to give it a try, then let us know how it goes!

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I can safely say this won't work, assuming ASUS implemented dm-verity and Android Verified Boot properly. A modified boot image will fail verification; in the best case, you'll get this screen:
boot_red1.png

In the worst case, bootloader will fail to load the boot image.

What are you trying to accomplish by bypassing the "correct" OEM unlocking process?

sakun-ice

Nov 10, 2012
I'm trying to avoid having ASUS not warrant their hardware.

And an unrooted phone is completely useless to me.
Actually, if you are in the European Union, your device is under warranty even if you have the bootloader open with their method. For this reason, when you use the app to unlock, it does not say that you lose the warranty, but that you may lose the warranty.