C#, VB, Ruby, F#, and Python on Android (via Mono and DLR)

Search This thread

Koush

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 21, 2007
This all works on stock/nonroot phones

I got Mono running on Android. :)
http://www.koushikdutta.com/2008/12/mono-on-android-success-at-last.html

Started working on Java/C# interop and found out that DLR works on Mono:
http://www.koushikdutta.com/2009/01/microsoft-dlr-and-mono-bring-python-and.html
As a result, you can write applications in Python and Ruby on Android too now.

Anyhow, if anyone else is interested in working on this project with me, please let me know! I've already gotten all the relevent source hosted at Google Code: http://code.google.com/p/androidmono. Basically the next bit of work involves implemeting a Java interop using the DLR.

Last edited:

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
Nifty.

As for Dalvik & JIT, I think dexopt already replaces some heavy usage calls with inline native code. Hopefully dalvik vm will get full JIT in the future?

Last edited:

Koush

Sep 21, 2007
Nifty.

As for Dalvik & JIT, I think dexopt already replaces some heavy usage calls with inline native code. Hopefully dalvik vm will get full JIT in the future?

It doesn't do any inline native replacements: dexopt optimizes the dex file. Which includes inline dex byte code replacements. There is no JIT at all, but Google said it would be something definitely on the horizon. Personally I think DEX is a pretty stupid move on Google's part; they could have just gone with CIL-- and write a Java compiler for that instead. The Mono JIT compiler works on many platforms; so V1 of Android could have been running JIT compiled native code with that route... which is an order of magnitude better in performance.
I'm going to be doing some performance comparisons of Mono vs Dalvik; Mono will obviously win, but it will be interesting to see the margin. I'll also experiment with binding Mono to the Android runtime to create Android applications in C#.

Optimization

Virtual machine interpreters typically perform certain optimizations the first time a piece of code is used. Constant pool references are replaced with pointers to internal data structures, operations that always succeed or always work a certain way are replaced with simpler forms. Some of these require information only available at runtime, others can be inferred statically when certain assumptions are made.

The Dalvik optimizer does the following:

For virtual method calls, replace the method index with a vtable index.
For instance field get/put, replace the field index with a byte offset. Also, merge the boolean / byte / char / short variants into a single 32-bit form (less code in the interpreter means more room in the CPU I-cache).
Replace a handful of high-volume calls, like String.length(), with "inline" replacements. This skips the usual method call overhead, directly switching from the interpreter to a native implementation.
Prune empty methods. The simplest example is Object.<init>, which does nothing, but must be called whenever any object is allocated. The instruction is replaced with a new version that acts as a no-op unless a debugger is attached.
Append pre-computed data. For example, the VM wants to have a hash table for lookups on class name. Instead of computing this when the DEX file is loaded, we can compute it now, saving heap space and computation time in every VM where the DEX is loaded.
All of the instruction modifications involve replacing the opcode with one not defined by the Dalvik specification. This allows us to freely mix optimized and unoptimized instructions. The set of optimized instructions, and their exact representation, is tied closely to the VM version.

Most of the optimizations are obvious "wins". The use of raw indices and offsets not only allows us to execute more quickly, we can also skip the initial symbolic resolution. Pre-computation eats up disk space, and so must be done in moderation.

There are a couple of potential sources of trouble with these optimizations. First, vtable indices and byte offsets are subject to change if the VM is updated. Second, if a superclass is in a different DEX, and that other DEX is updated, we need to ensure that our optimized indices and offsets are updated as well. A similar but more subtle problem emerges when user-defined class loaders are employed: the class we actually call may not be the one we expected to call.

These problems are addressed with dependency lists and some limitations on what can be optimized.

lu_tze

Nov 20, 2008
Personally I think DEX is a pretty stupid move on Google's part; they could have just gone with CIL-- and write a Java compiler for that instead. The Mono JIT compiler works on many platforms; so V1 of Android could have been running JIT compiled native code with that route... which is an order of magnitude better in performance.
I'm going to be doing some performance comparisons of Mono vs Dalvik; Mono will obviously win, but it will be interesting to see the margin. I'll also experiment with binding Mono to the Android runtime to create Android applications in C#.

Google had different objectives, they didn't go after maximum performance. Remember, that handsets have different constrains than desktops and laptops. So they went after minimizing RAM usage (byte code interpreter => maximum possible sharing of read-only memory pages among processes) and battery life. Performance had to be acceptable, not priority.

You would not be able to fit everything into RAM if you used Mono and you would get the patent problems with Net/Mono/etc as a bonus.

Koush

Sep 21, 2007
Google had different objectives, they didn't go after maximum performance. Remember, that handsets have different constrains than desktops and laptops. So they went after minimizing RAM usage (byte code interpreter => maximum possible sharing of read-only memory pages among processes) and battery life. Performance had to be acceptable, not priority.

You would not be able to fit everything into RAM if you used Mono and you would get the patent problems with Net/Mono/etc as a bonus.

.NET, C#, IL, et al are all ECMA standards. Mono is LGPL/GPL. There are no patent or licensing issues with it that is unfamiliar to the OHA. They reuse plenty of open source projects.

An interpreter is not power efficient OR performant, simply due to the fact is it doing the 10 times as much work to do the same thing as native code. In addition, Mono features an Ahead Of Time compiler (AOT) that would let you compile everything to native code before it even hits the phone (or just once, and cache it). Most of Android's power and memory optimizations currently comes from Google's application life cycle (activities can be killed and resumed at the system's whim) -- that has nothing to do with Dalvik. I'm not criticizing the API or the implementation, just the runtime. :)

They could have spent their time making the Mono runtime play nicely with the shared memory subsystem.

I'm rebuilding mono with a minimal configuration to check out the disk and memory footprint.

Last edited:

Koush

Sep 21, 2007
I'm a noob.... how can I install this? Very good Job Kush!

I haven't released anything yet. :p I'm trying to figure out how to statically link all it's dependencies, minimize the size, bind to the Android runtime, convert DEX to CIL and then CIL to ARM, and all sorts of other goodness. Basically a lot of experimenting to do before anything is "released". It's just in proof of concept phase right now.

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
I haven't released anything yet. :p I'm trying to figure out how to statically link all it's dependencies, minimize the size, bind to the Android runtime, convert DEX to CIL and then CIL to ARM, and all sorts of other goodness. Basically a lot of experimenting to do before anything is "released". It's just in proof of concept phase right now.

Just read the dalvik vs mono article. It's certainly interesting work. I agree that by ignoring JIT they're certainly not going after the most beneficial optimizations. That said, I don't think it's something they've completely excluded from future implementation.

I think you should consider trying to get Mono added as an external project. If nothing, having unofficial support for a vm which supports C#/CIL could bring in a significant amount of developer interest from the WinMo dev community. The coretech team would be the folks to set up a new project.

hbguy

Jul 17, 2007
Huntington Beach
I thought this was only a platform for development but its made my g1 much faster and reduced memory from steel and stock browsers as well. My market is still 12 mb and mono is about 11 mb. Is this normal?

Also everytime, I run mono, does it do the same thing it does the first time it was installed and opened?

Sorry, i know nothing about mono but i can tell its definitely optimizing the performance on the g1 though.

great work koushe,
hbguy

dcman008

May 6, 2006
This awesome, I have been waiting to see how this all turned out after reading your first post about it a few days ago.

JesusFreke

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
I thought this was only a platform for development but its made my g1 much faster and reduced memory from steel and stock browsers as well. My market is still 12 mb and mono is about 11 mb. Is this normal?

Also everytime, I run mono, does it do the same thing it does the first time it was installed and opened?

Sorry, i know nothing about mono but i can tell its definitely optimizing the performance on the g1 though.

great work koushe,
hbguy

Koush would know more than I would, but installing mono shouldn't affect everything else on Android. It's not like everything is suddenly using mono instead of dalvik. I suspect you have a strong case of the placebo effect :)

Koush

Sep 21, 2007

great work koushe,
hbguy

Yeah, you're just imagining things :) I haven't even attempted like DEX->CIL yet.

The first APK of Mono is quite large though. I've updated it with a number of bug fixes and also am making it use eglib now. This trimmed the size by a few MB. Getting Mono to work with Bionic might not be possible... (that would trim off another 2MB).

Once again, the APK is just a developers release... something to play with and test.

dcman008

May 6, 2006
I have been messing with mono on my G1.
Is it safe to say it will only work with command line apps?
I got my own hello world and a few other things running, but if I try and run any sort of gui I get errors.

Koush

Sep 21, 2007
Yes, only command line stuff will work. WinForms will not work on Android.

However, you should be able to get OpenGL ES working via PInvoke. I haven't tried it, but it should work just fine.

Koush

Sep 21, 2007
I got mono building in the Android build environment, and the Mono team accepted a patch to make it work on Android. There's also some changes external to Mono which can be found at the androidmono google code repository:

http://code.google.com/p/androidmono/