• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[CAB] WP7UI, Standalone for WM6.5 --HOST-- V1.5 (colors) - UPDATED

Search This thread

theXaviar

Mar 9, 2010
Gold Coast
Ashiq, mate. This is a truly elegant and beautiful programme. For a self-confessed "beginner" you show an expertise which speaks volumes about you and your future in programming. You obviously have a very impressive talent which I hope will bring you the great fortune & recognition you richly deserve.

Host runs quickly & smoothly on my Touch Diamond and stands a very real chance of replacing my beloved Sense (which is no small feat). It's an absolute pleasure to use and has breathed new life into my ageing little Diamond. Like many others here I am hesitant to move to WP7, partially due to only having recently gotten the right ROM & suite of programmes & customizations together, but mostly due to the reduced functionality the new OS seems to offer. And like many others I am simultaneously impressed with the elegant simplicity of the Metro UI.

Also, like many others playing around with Host; I would love to see better customization options - these don't need to be too intensive as your colour-picker is excellent & the image browser is almost perfect. The ability for a resources folder in programfiles/host/ to be referenced for user-designed tile backgrounds, app backgrounds, shortcuts, & icons (as well as the option for users to make double-width tiles) would make it perfect and would also cut down on the resources built into the exe itself. The option to change short-cut & tile names would also be nice.

Many of the folks here on XDA-Developers are pretty skilled with Ico-FX & Paint.NET and can quite happily make up their own resources & icons to alter applications to their taste (as they already routinely do with applications like ArcSwitch, Windows Media Player, & TCPMP) and even post them here for others, less experienced, to use.

My personal preference, for e.g. would be to use my laptop to make up a set of Aero Glass styled tiles as PNG's with alpha transparency (to give a "WP7 meets Win7" effect) and to manually add thumbnails of my actual phone contacts' photos to one of them (as the People tile) and a collage of my actual photos on one of the double-tiles (as the Pictures tile) while making a favoured (darkened) image for the background (to be visible through the tiles) and then transfer them to the appropriate folder on the phone and select them from within the Host customization UI. This is the process with which I'm most familiar.

I think it's very early days to be expecting animated weather tiles & HTC flip-clocks & other gadgets (though if they were to materialize I'm sure many, myself included, would love it) and in the future it would be nice to see if animated gif wallpaper could be supported (linked to a weather app) to provide animated weather wallpaper (something I'm very sad to see gone from WP7's "Home" screen) but those wishes are pipe dreams right now.

For the moment, despite the seemingly overwhelming list of wishes which this thread has generated, what I see in Host is what I think everyone else is seeing; a chance to have Metro UI "our own way" - something away from which Microsoft seems to be moving. I think allowing icons, wallpapers, & tile backgrounds (as specifically sized & named jpg's, png's, & gif's - preferably with animation support for animated People & Picture *tiles for e.g.) to be called from a resource folder to which custom images could be added by the user would actually satisfy the cravings everyone here has developed and might not be terribly difficult to achieve.

Most of the other items in this thread's wish-list (which seek to turn Host into a complete Sensean UI overlay replacement) can actually be achieved by using separate Metro-styled 3rd party apps referenced by Host (as it already does) such as that Metro UI SMS project the fellow earlier on demonstrated in his emulator, so there's no need to slow Host down too much by adding a host of extra features & pages. This programme is extremely close to completion as it is - the onus is then upon all of us to help to get other developers to make their own Metro-esque weather, clock, & SMS/e-mail "stand-alones" to complete an unofficial "suite" of programmes which will allow us the customizable WP7 Metro UI we desire without sacrificing the control & features we've come to expect from Windows Mobile.

I hope you're having a good break - you've certainly earned it. You done the work of a legend. I do hope you return to the project soon and I hope for a very bright future for you. I know you're at uni, so am I, so I know that stress & time management are always issues whilst studying. Try not to let the programme interfere with your study, study comes 1st. But if you do end up with some free time and a renewed outlook on this project we will all be eagerly awaiting your return. Good luck with uni and all the best for the future.

Thank you very much for this programme. It is excellent.

Last edited:

tin2404

:) not an year.. but 3 months..
i am desperately trying to find some time to work on it more.. but no luck so far :-( but i'm still trying..

Ashiq

Is it possible to get source code ?If you do not have time,perhaps some of us could help you to bring this "baby" on a higher level ? ;)

Only one thing is missing here : Customizable background screen color .

Last edited:

albarona1

Mar 9, 2010
at first thanks very much , you app. is very fast looks like the original wp7
and Iam using acer m900, wm 6.1
your app runs very good but :
1- the main page not stretched like the video
2- I havn't short cut icon
3- finger movment ( from right to left or left to right ) not active .

thanks

mapin

Aug 19, 2008
I've install 1.5 version on my Omnia i900 (with WM6.5 coocked) and I never seen any problems or bugs. It works very fast.
I hope that the author works again on this project to encrease the number of "hubs"
thanks

enigma1nz

at first thanks very much , you app. is very fast looks like the original wp7
and Iam using acer m900, wm 6.1
your app runs very good but :
1- the main page not stretched like the video
2- I havn't short cut icon
3- finger movment ( from right to left or left to right ) not active .

thanks
See my reply above, it was for you.

gortex3D

Oct 5, 2008
Thank you very much for your apply. It's very good.

I have several questions :
How to add weather?
Is it possible to add a contact page as favorites favorite programs?
Is it possible to have the program not multilingual?
Is it possible to use a calendar a little more class than the original WM? A calendar style sense will not hurt.

Is it possible to save the program settings? If so, how?

Thank you for advance

I use your software on my htc topaz and it works very fine.

Sorry for my english i'm french and i use one translator.

tjabbe

Mar 1, 2009
Zwolle
Thank you very much for your apply. It's very good.

I have several questions :
How to add weather?
Is it possible to add a contact page as favorites favorite programs?
Is it possible to have the program not multilingual?
Is it possible to use a calendar a little more class than the original WM? A calendar style sense will not hurt.

Is it possible to save the program settings? If so, how?

Thank you for advance

I use your software on my htc topaz and it works very fine.

Sorry for my english i'm french and i use one translator.
Calender use thumbcall whit wp7 skin. For weather use touch weather and place it on first page its perfect. More usefol apps PockedShield, Iconsoft for dailpad and contacts, Metro calculator, Nitrogen+wp7 skin,Resco file explorer. This apps make a compleet wp7 idee.

Last edited:

gortex3D

Oct 5, 2008
Calender use thumbcall whit wp7 skin. For weather use touch weather and place it on first page its perfect. More usefol apps PockedShield, Iconsoft for dailpad and contacts, Metro calculator, Nitrogen+wp7 skin,Resco file explorer. This apps make a compleet wp7 idee.

Thank you for your reply
For weather i use spb weather
For contact i test iconsft but i'm one problem it is not always accessible. I test resco contact manager.

I'm one problem, I hung up when I press the application minimizes and I'm on the sense, Would you have a solution?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Host V1.5

Host-V1.5-ScreenShots.png

Like i said before, i'm only learning wm programming.. so nothing big..

This is a standalone app. You can customize it to make it look like WP7.

Should work on all screen types (QVGA/WQVGA/VGA/WVGA), other than the square/HVGA ones.

REQUIRES:
    1. WM6.5
    2. .net compact framework 3.5 (usually built into WM6.5 cutom ROMs. if not, u'll need to install it)

still beta...i'll assume no responsibilities...

things to do..
    just install the cab (on device) and run from the start menu.

REMEMBER to uninstall before a new install

i'd recommend all today items to be disabled first (not needed, but saves battery and memory)

New video of Host v1.5:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eO2_AaPe74

Tested on HTC HD2 (ROM: Duttys), HTC Touch 3G (ROM: Megade) and Samsung OMNIA II (i8000) (ROM: Stock 6.5).. dont know how it'll go on other devices..should work on all devices with WM6.5

Condition for use: Leave a comment :)

PLEASE DON'T MIRROR

Known Issues:
    Please report

Remember when downloading: HostV1.5.CAB is the new version. HostV1 and WP7V2.0.CAB are the old ones. if you find V1.5 too heavy for u'r device, u may opt for WP7V2.0.
    (keeping all of them for download)

ChangeLog for Host V1.5:
    1. No confirmation for lockscreen (10 Dec, 2010)
    2. Screen stretched to fit screen if all buttons at the bottom bar are hidden (10 Dec, 2010)
    3. SharePoint and OneNote added in officepage (10 Dec, 2010)
    4. Shortcuts background has been removed (10 Dec, 2010)
    I would love to have a Weather-Hub. Is it possible to realize such a thing?

it will be added.. but pls dont ask for a date..

Ashiq
    I want this program (host 1.5) to start automatically. It's possible?

use total comander. create shortcut of host.exe , copy to windows\startup folder
    I installed a really bare 6.5 rom, it only had media player, and when i tap pictures, it says : program could not be launched.
    can i just assign any program to it or do i need a specific program?

assign it to anything of u'r choice..
    Is this still being supported? I really hope so. Awesome awesome job keep it up.

it is still supported and the project will continue.. but i'm takin a break :)