[CAB] WP7UI, Standalone for WM6.5 --HOST-- V1.5 (colors) - UPDATED

Search This thread

codeconqueror

Mar 10, 2009
Orlando, FL
This is an EXTREMELY promising application for those of us not ready to upgrade our devices for WP7 devices (I love my HD2). IMO, this is far superior to HTC Sense (although I do miss a few minor features like weather) for daily use.

That being said, here are a few suggestions I have for future builds (I am also a Software Developer so if there's any way that I can be of assistance, I'd be more than happy to help):

1) Add a way to link to folders from the Tiles screen. For example, I'd love to make a tile that I could link to my Games folder from the start menu. It should open it in a screen that looks much like the shortcuts or programs screen you already have.

2) Add a way to have your own calendar or theme the internal calendar so that it can use same styling as the tiles/programs list.

3) Add a way to have your own contacts viewer or theme the internal contacts list to use the same styling as the tiles/programs list.

4) Link the clock tile to the alarms list.

5) Add a seconds hand to the clock tile.

6) Add a weather info tile.

7) Pull in thumbnails from the last picture sync to use as the icon overlay for the Pictures tile.

8) Add a icon overlay to select for use with a Twitter tile and a GPS/Google Maps tile.

9) Pull in thumbnails from the contacts list to use as the icon overlay for the People tile.

10) Add an option to select which email account the email tile should link to.

11) Add an option to sort the programs list alphabetically, by most recently installed/modified, or manually sorting.

12) Add nicer looking hands to the clock tile.

13) Show notification icons along the top toolbar area.

14) When using option to remove the icons along the bottom (back, start menu, and search), stretch the screen bigger to fill the gap that is created.

15) Show larger thumbnails for pictures when clicking on the Pictures tile.

16) Add ability to select multiple folders to index for the Pictures list.

17) Add option to have the start menu button (at bottom of screen and hardware button) link to your Programs list or Shortcut list instead.

18) Add option to change the start menu button on the bottom to link to Windows Settings instead and add an entry under Windows Settings to edit the Host UI options.

19) On Search screen, add option to link Bing search to the Bing application if it is installed.

20) Change back button on bottom to shows a lock icon instead of back arrow when on the main home screen since from there it is to lock the device instead.

-------------------------

A small token of my appreciation for your excellent work and consideration on these new features. Confirmation number: 77V50146Y3290203W

Last edited:

codeconqueror

Mar 10, 2009
Orlando, FL
A few more:

21) Sliding left or right should return you to the Home screen when viewing Pictures (or other browsing screens you have like the search screen) so you don't HAVE to click the Back button.

22) When on settings screens (e.g. selecting the application for a Tile to link to), the screen should auto-adjust the size of list boxes to consume all of the available screen area. On my HD2, the list boxes are tiny and difficult to select the application I want.

23) Auto-rotate to landscape or portrait when the phone is rotated.

24) Add menu option to move a tile left, right, up, or down when pressing and holding on the tile (currently the menu only offers Edit and Remove).

25) On the Owner Info tile, my email address is a bit long so it pushes the word 'Email:' off the edge. A good 'fix' would be to split email addresses at the @ symbol so its on 2 lines. For example (XDA forum message formatting displaces these from how I entered them, but you get the idea; @ should start immediately under the J in JohnnyAppleseed):
Owner: John Smith
EMail: JohnnyAppleseed
@hotmail.com
Phone: (123) 456-7890

j0ntown

Jul 24, 2009
@codeconquror -I get the feeling much of what you're asking about depends on how A* structured his application. Not sure if he's using the registry as a resource or likes data driven user functionality. Perhaps what started as a bar bet or challenge (show you can use the phone api to write a user interface) is going through an application development plateau where specs and design become necessary? I hope A* will permit what you kindly suggested.

I'm still amazed that one person's work can provide so much of what we want in a user interface. Congrats A*. You got us all excited with your work.

-J

Last edited:

codeconqueror

Mar 10, 2009
Orlando, FL
@codeconquror -I get the feeling much of what you're asking about depends on how A* structured his application. Not sure if he's using the registry as a resource or likes data driven user functionality. Perhaps what started as a bar bet or challenge (show you can use the phone api to write a user interface) is going through an application development plateau where specs and design become necessary? I hope A* will permit what you kindly suggested.

I'm still amazed that one person's work can provide so much of what we want in a user interface. Congrats A*. You got us all excited with your work.

-J

Indeed. Though the quality and polish so far definitely indicates more effort than a mere bar bet. ;) But I get your point.

It would seem he has the talent to fulfill on most of the features / changes I've suggested, but should ashiqiqbal like any assistance in development or testing, I'm more than capable and willing to facilitate in any way I can.

codeconqueror

Mar 10, 2009
Orlando, FL
Also, 2 others (sorry to bombard you today, but I'm really loving this app and would like to see it taken to its fullest):

26) For the Programs list, add a sidebar lettered A - Z 0 - 9 just like the Windows Mobile contact list so that you can tap a letter and jump down to the programs in the list that start with that letter, or filter the displayed programs to only show ones starting with the selected letter.

27) A way to get rid of the colored boxes around links on the Shortcuts screen. I prefer just a black background with the program's icon and nothing around it.

-------

If there's any way that I can be of assistance to you on this project, I'd be more than happy to lend whatever support I can.

Last edited:

trabix

Dec 4, 2010
nice app

Host V1.5 on Omnia i900 works very fine. Thanks a lot!

I don't understand the button appointments in Homescreen. Anyone can tell me how to use or give an example?

kAiZokUmA

Nov 16, 2010
i'd like to see the developing of the host is going on, but you all know that ashiqiqbal mentioned to take a long break? :rolleyes:

ashiqiqbal

Mar 26, 2010
i'd like to see the developing of the host is going on, but you all know that ashiqiqbal mentioned to take a long break? :rolleyes:

some minor adjustments (from the comments recieved) comming up :)

1. no confirmation for goin into 'locked' mode
2. no background for shortcut icons

other adjustments will be made periodically.. :)

memcbob

Apr 19, 2008
I have installed Host1.5 with SPB Mobile shell. then i use Mob shell fav as a tile with 'phone type'. that way i get count and taken to favs...trying to figure out a tile to point to Mob shell weather next ;-)

This is a great combo!
Thanks,

Use on LG EXPO with Dark's 23139 ROM

j0ntown

Jul 24, 2009
Does the SPB respond to scripting or command line calls?
been making LNK files here to call the exes of interest to set up context.

Happy to use the other programs I have like Rescoe, PhonEx etc and enjoy Host for the tiled user interface only. Both Titanium and Manila are loaded so I could grab stuff from them if you'd let us. ;)

memcbob

Apr 19, 2008
no SPB doesn't to cmd line stuff...i am just taking advantage of its shortcuts ;-)

you have the right idea creating or using links with Host as the UI!

ROCOAFZ

Jun 5, 2007
One small issue. If i loose signal then regain it, host crashes. i'm not sure if it's related to activesync losing connection or just the signal.

bismuth89

Mar 25, 2010
Hi, this is another suggestion :D

Could you make it an option to choose to use the original taskbar or Host's taskbar?

I want to use the original taskbar as it provide more information,
and also I use Xtask (a very nice free task manager that can be found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=606162 ), and Xtask is only visible when the original taskbar is visible.

Hope you will take this into consideration, thanks ;)

j0ntown

Jul 24, 2009
A*, if you're going into the code for the yes/no confirm - maybe on the long press on the sidebar too when we shut down host? IMHO no need to conform there either.

Getting animation from several folders (tile number in name perhaps) would be nice. Oh yes - please, the analog clock... that's the one thing that keeps me from moving on from the Manila interface. As is I have the big digital clock and the weather right there. with my next alarm and appointment shown and five icons for pages I can open.

While I like the notion of the Metro look (fan of art deco too here) it also needs to fulfil the basic mission of a user interface - to inform. One could just as well put up a phone tile that shows missed calls and voice mail counters. One could just as well have a Messages tile which shows SMS and Email counters cycling through the counters every few seconds - press takes you to currently displayed item.

Why this post? To inform A* that I believe he is in a position to offer a user interface that's better than the MS WP7.

ashiqiqbal

Mar 26, 2010
HostV1.5 updated.. download again from the first page..
remember - u should uninstall before a new install..

changes:
1. no confirmation required for locksceen
2. screen stretched to fit screen if all buttons from the bottom are hidden (from settings)
3. sharepoint and onenote added in office page... they will show up if u have these apps installed..
4. shortcuts background has been removed

pls let me know how it goes..

thanks

Ashiq

Last edited:
Reactions: kAiZokUmA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Host V1.5

Host-V1.5-ScreenShots.png

Like i said before, i'm only learning wm programming.. so nothing big..

This is a standalone app. You can customize it to make it look like WP7.

Should work on all screen types (QVGA/WQVGA/VGA/WVGA), other than the square/HVGA ones.

REQUIRES:
    1. WM6.5
    2. .net compact framework 3.5 (usually built into WM6.5 cutom ROMs. if not, u'll need to install it)

still beta...i'll assume no responsibilities...

things to do..
    just install the cab (on device) and run from the start menu.

REMEMBER to uninstall before a new install

i'd recommend all today items to be disabled first (not needed, but saves battery and memory)

New video of Host v1.5:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eO2_AaPe74

Tested on HTC HD2 (ROM: Duttys), HTC Touch 3G (ROM: Megade) and Samsung OMNIA II (i8000) (ROM: Stock 6.5).. dont know how it'll go on other devices..should work on all devices with WM6.5

Condition for use: Leave a comment :)

PLEASE DON'T MIRROR

Known Issues:
    Please report

Remember when downloading: HostV1.5.CAB is the new version. HostV1 and WP7V2.0.CAB are the old ones. if you find V1.5 too heavy for u'r device, u may opt for WP7V2.0.
    (keeping all of them for download)

ChangeLog for Host V1.5:
    1. No confirmation for lockscreen (10 Dec, 2010)
    2. Screen stretched to fit screen if all buttons at the bottom bar are hidden (10 Dec, 2010)
    3. SharePoint and OneNote added in officepage (10 Dec, 2010)
    4. Shortcuts background has been removed (10 Dec, 2010)
    I would love to have a Weather-Hub. Is it possible to realize such a thing?

it will be added.. but pls dont ask for a date..

Ashiq
    I want this program (host 1.5) to start automatically. It's possible?

use total comander. create shortcut of host.exe , copy to windows\startup folder
    I installed a really bare 6.5 rom, it only had media player, and when i tap pictures, it says : program could not be launched.
    can i just assign any program to it or do i need a specific program?

assign it to anything of u'r choice..
    Is this still being supported? I really hope so. Awesome awesome job keep it up.

it is still supported and the project will continue.. but i'm takin a break :)