Cache/download.apk...

Search This thread

metal666fukhead

May 2, 2010
I noticed in the folder cache/ that I have multiple files like download.apk download1.apk and so on...can anyone tell me what they are and if they're safe to delete? Appreciate any help

kyouko

Mar 6, 2010
If you're talking about the downloadfile.apk, downloadfile1.apk files on your /sdcard/ yes.
If you're talking about the actual /cache folder off of the root, I'd still say yes. I was under the impression only the davlik and lost & found folders where there. Plus the cache folder can be wiped through the recovery menu without causing problems to the phone, it'll just take a while to boot up as it rebuilds the cache with the necessary files.

You could always copy them else where (using ADB, root explorer, estrongs, etc.). Erase them. If there's problems push them back :)

metal666fukhead

May 2, 2010
If you're talking about the downloadfile.apk, downloadfile1.apk files on your /sdcard/ yes.
If you're talking about the actual /cache folder off of the root, I'd still say yes. I was under the impression only the davlik and lost & found folders where there. Plus the cache folder can be wiped through the recovery menu without causing problems to the phone, it'll just take a while to boot up as it rebuilds the cache with the necessary files.

You could always copy them else where (using ADB, root explorer, estrongs, etc.). Erase them. If there's problems push them back :)

Yes I was referring to the cache folder off of root any idea as to what those files are?

kyouko

Mar 6, 2010
My guess would be that they are leftover temp files from market downloads/installs. If you really want to know, you can use estrongs or root explorer to access the files and open them up (as if you wanted to install the apks)

danaff37

Mar 14, 2010
Nashville, TN
You can erase anything in cache and be fine. If you erase dalvik though just expect a long reboot.

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA App

metal666fukhead

May 2, 2010
You can erase anything in cache and be fine. If you erase dalvik though just expect a long reboot.

Cool thank you very much...someone from another post told me that download.apk, download-1.apk, etc are just cache files from market downloads and downloaded email attachments is that correct?

Sent from my J BONE using XDA App

danaff37

Mar 14, 2010
Nashville, TN
Market downloads specifically I think. I never worried about where from. Just erased.

mercado79

Oct 4, 2008
Boston, MA
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but...

I just discovered this issue. Memory was running down to around 45mb even after using the Firerat MTD mod. I was just about to start from scratch (like I would on an old Windows machine), but then saw these in the /cache directory. Deleted the apk's and I'm back up to 107mb of free memory.

It's really strange. Shouldn't the Market app clear this cache or overwrite the files when they're no longer needed? Is there a setting somewhere to do this automatically or do I need to do so manually every time? Lastly, I'm running AOSP 0.9.9.2. Does this happen on anyone else's phone?

user7618

Jul 26, 2010
Indianapolis
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but...

I just discovered this issue. Memory was running down to around 45mb even after using the Firerat MTD mod. I was just about to start from scratch (like I would on an old Windows machine), but then saw these in the /cache directory. Deleted the apk's and I'm back up to 107mb of free memory.

It's really strange. Shouldn't the Market app clear this cache or overwrite the files when they're no longer needed? Is there a setting somewhere to do this automatically or do I need to do so manually every time? Lastly, I'm running AOSP 0.9.9.2. Does this happen on anyone else's phone?

Just wipe cache from the recovery screen.

-----
Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got some hot Froyo-on-Hero action here!