Call for developers: investigating USB bricked desires

Search This thread

lgrangeia

Apr 12, 2010
I have a Desire (NOT BRICKED), and I'm looking into this, amongst misc android stuff.

I have this line in my dmesg output:
[0.000000] Kernel command line: board_bravo.disable_uart3=0 board_bravo.usb_h2w_sw=0 board_bravo.disable_sdcard=0 diag.enabled=0 board_bravo.debug_uart=0 smisize=0 userdata_sel=0 androidboot.emmc=false androidboot.baseband=4.06.00.02_2 androidboot.cid=HTC__001 androidboot.carrier=HTC-WWE androidboot.mid=PB9920000 androidboot.keycaps=qwerty androidboot.mode=normal androidboot.serialno=HT03XXXXXXX androidboot.bootloader=0.75.0000 no_console_suspend=1 msmsdcc_sdioirq=1 wire.search_count=5

I wonder what does it look like to a USB bricked phone. Can a bricked owner provide this output? My theory is that since the bootloader might be in some sort of a test/fallback mode, it might be feeding other options to the booting kernel (hence the lack of SD, FM radio, etc.).

Just a thought.

Last edited:

xtcislove

Jan 17, 2010
Gummersbach
Nothing Phone 2
OnePlus 12
Tell me what to do, i test it !

Stupid Question maybe. But found with Rootexplorer in /sys/module/msm_serial_debugger/parameters a file named "enable" in ther is only a "Y" and in /sys/module/serial/parameters two files named "serial_enabled" and "modem_enabled" in both is only a "0". Could this have anything to do with the "brick"? o_O

Last edited:

i6bazar

May 23, 2010
Stupid Question: With root access we cannot specify the kernel options ?
Maybe it is due to HTC bootloader locking thing :(

lgrangeia

Apr 12, 2010
Tell me what to do, i test it !

reboot the phone normally (turn off and back on) and then type in "dmesg" on a terminal screen. the kernel command line is near the top, probably in the first 10-15 lines.

Stupid Question: With root access we cannot specify the kernel options ?
Maybe it is due to HTC bootloader locking thing

Yes, I think we have very limited bootloader access, and less ways of changing boot parameters (as opposed to Nexus One users, for instance). But there are probably commands we can try to type in fastboot, and the boot command line might give us hints for that.

The Professor

Jan 23, 2008
From mine, bricked yesterday:

/ $ dmesg | grep -i kernel
[ 0.000000] Linux version 2.6.29-97da29ed (htc-kernel@and18-2) (gcc version 4.4.0 (GCC) ) #1 PREEMPT Mon Mar 15 20:17:52 CST 2010
[ 0.000000] Kernel command line: board_bravo.disable_uart3=1 board_bravo.usb_h2w_sw=1 board_bravo.disable_sdcard=0 diag.enabled=0 board_bravo.debug_uart=0 smisize=0 userdata_sel=0 androidboot.emmc=false androidboot.baseband=4.05.00.11 androidboot.cid=HTC__E11 androidboot.carrier=HTC-Dutch androidboot.mid=PB9920000 androidboot.keycaps=qwerty androidboot.mode=normal androidboot.serialno=HT03Yxxxx androidboot.bootloader=0.75.0000 no_console_suspend=1 msmsdcc_sdioirq=1 wire.search_count=5

JDouce

May 7, 2009
Pontefract
this is the issue
board_bravo.disable_uart3=1
board_bravo.usb_h2w_sw=1
but this was posted on modaco about a week ago
but how can we change them back
I don't understand HOW the recovery image can do this?
or is HTC just trying to make our life difficult

Last edited:

PsYDoX

Nov 5, 2007
Oldenburg
*never touch a running system xD*

btw...

have you tried to upgrade your phone with a original WWE upgrade from HTC (upgrade/overwrite, bootloader, spl, radio rom etc), so the bootloader must be repaired.....

http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Bra...00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126984_signed.zip

1. Make a Goldcard Klick Here
2. Rename the PB99IMG_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126984_signed.zip to PB99IMG.zip
3. Copy the PB99IMG.zip to the SD-Card Root
4. Boot your Phone with BACK+POWER
5. Go into "Bootloader" with POWER-Button
6. Wait and Accept the Flash with VOL-UP
7. Phone iss Rebooting into Fastboot again, do Step 5+6 again
8. Now your Phone is Flashing

Last edited:
Reactions: xfxforce111

PsYDoX

Nov 5, 2007
Oldenburg

btw...

have you tried to upgrade your phone with a original WWE upgrade from HTC (upgrade/overwrite, bootloader, spl, radio rom etc), so the bootloader must be repaired.....

http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Bra...00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126984_signed.zip

2. Rename the PB99IMG_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126984_signed.zip to PB99IMG.zip

so try it please!

JDouce

May 7, 2009
Pontefract
dont have a bricked desire handy ... friends is bricked mine is fine and im at university atm will try tonight but i expect someone will have tried it by then ... if this works .... ppl will be kicking themselves lol

Last edited:

PsYDoX

Nov 5, 2007
Oldenburg
dont have a bricked desire handy ... friends is bricked mine is fine and im at university atm

ok, but please test it, it update or overwrite all systems (bootloader, spl, radio, radio_v2, rom .....) with HTC original files, if this dont work i think its a other problem... maybe hardware lock or something

JDouce

May 7, 2009
Pontefract
what if you use the .exe WWE upgrade.... does this completly overwrite the bootloader/spl? or just upgrade it if necessary if it jsut urgardes it ... is there a way to make it think its a newer version and overwrite the bootloader and spl

the guy who reflased get your

for me ... if it hasn't fixed the values then it didn't re write the bootloader

Last edited:

PsYDoX

Nov 5, 2007
Oldenburg
Bevor the update i have bootloader 0.75 and some usb problems, only loading over usb no hdd mount or sync etc.... then i installed the orignal WWE image from htc... usb now works fine but bootloder 0.80 and no root, only original htc system...

lgrangeia

Apr 12, 2010
Flashing a stock RUU over a USB bricked device was tried already, I think...

I have another two far fetched theories for discussion regarding the cause of this:

I think we already established the cause of this is loading the custom recovery script or shell. So the brick might happen:

1 - When pushing the files to the device (adb push files): If this is the case, could it be that the Desire recovery kernel has a bug and the MTD devices memory region is overlapping some protected memory area such as NVRAM settings or other stuff?

2 -When executing Amon RA's recovery: could this binary be executing some illegal instruction or overwritting NVRAM in some way? It would be nice if someone pointed out to the source code of this particular version thats being used in Paul's rooting method.

Point 1 could be resolved by pushing the files to the sd card instead, chrooting and running recovery from the sd card, or another safe partition;

Point 2 could be resolved by investigating Amon Ra's recovery, probably using an emulator or stracing the binary or checking the source so that suspicious instructions could be investigated.

Regarding this last point, it must be noted that the bricking seems to happen only by _running_ the recovery, its not necessary to execute any operation. So the amount of code to check should be fairly small.

miyu-hitori

Mar 10, 2008
Shanghai
what if you use the .exe WWE upgrade.... does this completly overwrite the bootloader/spl? or just upgrade it if necessary if it jsut urgardes it ... is there a way to make it think its a newer version and overwrite the bootloader and spl

the guy who reflased get your

for me ... if it hasn't fixed the values then it didn't re write the bootloader

yes bootload has upgraded to 0.8,radio also upgraded

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

btw...