• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Call recording on Android (9/10) PIE/Q roms [ROOT]

Search This thread

rtk217

Dec 20, 2011
After struggling with this issue on numerous ROMs (since migration from LOS 15.1) I found a good way to use call recording for free, with recording from the voice line and saving the file with the contact/name number.
So first things first LOS (16) support native call recording, but has little customization, you can't make it automatically record, or modify the file name or format (other than the 2 provided). If that is enough for you then by all means I can wholeheartedly recommend this ROM.
For those who want a bit more, and have a rooted phone/rom, use call recorder from f-droid, either use the f-droid app store or directly install the APK file.
Now for the app to be able to record the voice line itself and not just the mic, the app needs to be systemized.
Use magisk (or any other known way to systemize apps) module called App Systemizer (Terminal Emulator).
You will also need a Terminal Emulator (grab one from the play store, or activate the default one from the 'Developer Options' menu after activating developer options).
In the terminal emulator type:
Code:
su - 
systemize
When systemizing use the list and select Call Recorder app number from the list. select the priv-app folder and reboot.
After the phone has booted make sure to go to in-app settings and choose 'Voice Line' for 'Recording Source'. In the settings you can also modify file name and format. Also make sure to mark with V the 'Call Recording' option.
That's it, this method works for me on NeoArian build of LineageOS 16. If people try it on different ROMs please report here your findings

Update:
Just installed LineageOS 17.1 Official, glad to report this method and app works perfect with this release.
Apply the same steps, choose voice line, I also use the .ogg encoding which allows the use of filter, and I activate the 'Voice Filter' for better sound quality.
Cheers, if it works for you on other ROMs, please add them in this thread, Thanks.

Last edited:

hadid90

Jan 2, 2010
I am trying it on android Q :p

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

it did not work on android Q :'(

hadid90

Jan 2, 2010
Actually .. it worked .. on the recent build of los 17 and if you choose voice line as the source..
Yet it doesn't record from a Bluetooth headset

Beast14

Oct 6, 2013
Hi @rtk217
Im on CarbonROM.
If we systemize this F-Droid app and use the voice line, would you be able to record via apps through VOIP such as Viber / Whatsapp? If not, is there some possibility to do this? I really need to use it to record VOIP calls.

Also, does using the voice line work with a bluetooth headset? if not, how to make this work please? (currently, with this app being normal installation, i cannot hear the other person over BT headset or BT car radio - i can only hear my voice. Using Voice Line)

If these 2 things can work this will be amazing.

Last edited:

rtk217

Dec 20, 2011
Hi @rtk217
Im on CarbonROM.
If we systemize this F-Droid app and use the voice line, would you be able to record via apps through VOIP such as Viber / Whatsapp? If not, is there some possibility to do this? I really need to use it to record VOIP calls.

Also, does using the voice line work with a bluetooth headset? if not, how to make this work please?

If these 2 things can work this will be amazing.

first question: I really don't know, I don't think this app is capable to record voip calls.
second question: Yes, it should record phonecalls made with a bluettooth headset as long as it is recording voice line.

Best way to verify is just to try this, if you're unhappy just unsystemize it and delete the app.

jibon89096

Apr 22, 2020
Issues after applying this method

Anyone else experiencing the following? @rtk217?

1) Phone symbol always visible on the notification bar (see screenshot).
l1ctgn.jpg

2) Status Bar has a Call Recorder entry that cannot be expanded (see screenshot). Nothing happens when it's being pressed.
8ewta9.jpg

3) Call Recorder Recent Call Dialog does not work.

Anyone else experience or managed to solve these?

Last edited:

jibon89096

Apr 22, 2020

l1ctgn.jpg

2) Status Bar has a Call Recorder entry that cannot be expanded (see screenshot). Nothing happens when it's being pressed.
8ewta9.jpg

And also on the same device now with LineageOS 17.1.

@Ex novo - Do you also experience the issues in the previous message, on your S6 LineageOS 17.1?

jibon89096

Apr 22, 2020
No, I don't have any of those problems. Did you follow all the instructions in the first post and installed it as system priv app?
I installed directly the apk (latest version). I didn't install the F Droid.

Yes, installed as per the op. Was working well to record calls.
Played around with the notification settings in system and managed to get rid of the first two notification issues.
And at some point the Recent Call Dialog just started to appear (not sure why and how).

Ex novo

Apr 21, 2018
Yes, installed as per the op. Was working well to record calls.
Played around with the notification settings in system and managed to get rid of the first two notification issues.
And at some point the Recent Call Dialog just started to appear (not sure why and how).

You can also try uninstalling the app and installing the Magisk "Axet's Call Recorder" module.

monicaONxda

Aug 16, 2020

l1ctgn.jpg

8ewta9.jpg

Notifcations can be disabled in Android settings for this app. That should solve 1) and 2)...

---------- Post added at 02:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 AM ----------

Nice App! This is the "Axet Call Recorder" also available on F-Droid or Magisk Module. Works great on Android 10 and SGNote10+.

Unfortunately only records call from/to phone/dialer apps, no VOIP (Signal, Watsapp..).

Any ideas ? Don't want to use other (heavy) call recording apps...

A voice recorder would also be OK, but most voice recording (mic) apps are disabled during (any/VOIP) calls.. How can it be enabled in Android 10?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After struggling with this issue on numerous ROMs (since migration from LOS 15.1) I found a good way to use call recording for free, with recording from the voice line and saving the file with the contact/name number.
    So first things first LOS (16) support native call recording, but has little customization, you can't make it automatically record, or modify the file name or format (other than the 2 provided). If that is enough for you then by all means I can wholeheartedly recommend this ROM.
    For those who want a bit more, and have a rooted phone/rom, use call recorder from f-droid, either use the f-droid app store or directly install the APK file.
    Now for the app to be able to record the voice line itself and not just the mic, the app needs to be systemized.
    Use magisk (or any other known way to systemize apps) module called App Systemizer (Terminal Emulator).
    You will also need a Terminal Emulator (grab one from the play store, or activate the default one from the 'Developer Options' menu after activating developer options).
    In the terminal emulator type:
    Code:
    su - 
    systemize
    When systemizing use the list and select Call Recorder app number from the list. select the priv-app folder and reboot.
    After the phone has booted make sure to go to in-app settings and choose 'Voice Line' for 'Recording Source'. In the settings you can also modify file name and format. Also make sure to mark with V the 'Call Recording' option.
    That's it, this method works for me on NeoArian build of LineageOS 16. If people try it on different ROMs please report here your findings

Update:
    Just installed LineageOS 17.1 Official, glad to report this method and app works perfect with this release.
    Apply the same steps, choose voice line, I also use the .ogg encoding which allows the use of filter, and I activate the 'Voice Filter' for better sound quality.
    Cheers, if it works for you on other ROMs, please add them in this thread, Thanks.