Call & Text on other devices on US VZW

stout_heart

Jan 18, 2021
Everything you need is in the Guides, New and Discussion forum Section. Just look in there. You will not need me. I buy unlocked so I do not have to do that. If your Samsung tablet is a Verizon branded one this will not work and you will need to use their messaging app. It will only work with the Wifi tablets.
Hey,
Thanks for your insight and guidance. When you say "buy unlocked" are you referring to buying from samsung directly? I am having the same issue here but am about ready for a new phone. I refuse to get a Verizon branded phone after realizing they block this functionality. Can you confirm that buying an unlocked phone will resolve this? I've heard reports of the feature disappearing on Verizon's network.

nrage23

Nov 16, 2010
Richmond, VA
Hey,
Thanks for your insight and guidance. When you say "buy unlocked" are you referring to buying from samsung directly? I am having the same issue here but am about ready for a new phone. I refuse to get a Verizon branded phone after realizing they block this functionality. Can you confirm that buying an unlocked phone will resolve this? I've heard reports of the feature disappearing on Verizon's network.
You can buy the unlocked version from Amazon, B&H, Best Buy, or Samsung.

stout_heart

Jan 18, 2021
You can buy the unlocked version from Amazon, B&H, Best Buy, or Samsung.
Thanks but I'm not so optimistic...I'm in a Verizon forum where people are having the same problem and said that it still doesn't work even after buying an unlocked device. Thoughts? I also don't like Verizon's language that it won't work in their devices "or" their network.

Attachments

nrage23

Nov 16, 2010
Richmond, VA
Thanks but I'm not so optimistic...I'm in a Verizon forum where people are having the same problem and said that it still doesn't work even after buying an unlocked device. Thoughts? I also don't like Verizon's language that it won't work in their devices "or" their network.
Works for me. I am on an unlocked Z Fold 2 with a Verizon sim in it. Same thing worked on my unlocked Note 20 Ultra until i switched 2 weeks ago.
SmartSelect_20210118-175533_Settings.jpg
SmartSelect_20210118-175622_Call settings.jpg

stout_heart

Jan 18, 2021
Works for me. I am on an unlocked Z Fold 2 with a Verizon sim in it. Same thing worked on my unlocked Note 20 Ultra until i switched 2 weeks ago.View attachment 5191881View attachment 5191883
Ok thanks. What's the difference between carrier unlocked and factory unlocked as previously mentioned? So if I select this unlocked phone from samsung website (see pic)...this feature should work?

Attachments

nrage23

Nov 16, 2010
Richmond, VA
I have the Galaxy S10 Verizon United States version. I am trying to enable the call and text on other devices feature, so that I can use it on my Galaxy tab S7 plus (wifi). Do you know what I need to do to get this feature to work?
Same as the Note 20 Ultra. You will need to convert it to the firmware of the unlocked S10. There are guides in the S10 forums to do that.

rjohnstone

Jan 31, 2011
Phoenix, AZ.
Today I was able to get Call and Text on other devices working on an AT&T Note 20 Ultra (U version).
First I pulled my SIM card, then ran CSC Changer and switched from ATT to XAA.
Rebooted phone and verified it now read XAA/XAA/ATT.
Then I booted into download mode and installed U1 firmware, effectively making my phone a U1 XAA model.
After install my device went ack to ATT/ATT/ATT, but is now a U1 device WITH Call and Text on other devices enabled.
Inserted AT&T SIM card and rebooted. It installed a carrier update and restarted, but nothing critical was impacted.
I lost the ability to edit IMS info, but it only really impacted AT&T's garbage RCS implementation ( I can still use Google Messages RCS) and video calling, which I never use.
I still have VoLTE and WiFi Calling.

Attachments

jbigs69

Aug 30, 2020
Today I was able to get Call and Text on other devices working on an AT&T Note 20 Ultra (U version).
First I pulled my SIM card, then ran CSC Changer and switched from ATT to XAA.
Rebooted phone and verified it now read XAA/XAA/ATT.
Then I booted into download mode and installed U1 firmware, effectively making my phone a U1 XAA model.
After install my device went ack to ATT/ATT/ATT, but is now a U1 device WITH Call and Text on other devices enabled.
Inserted AT&T SIM card and rebooted. It installed a carrier update and restarted, but nothing critical was impacted.
I lost the ability to edit IMS info, but it only really impacted AT&T's garbage RCS implementation ( I can still use Google Messages RCS) and video calling, which I never use.
I still have VoLTE and WiFi Calling.
Would you be open to grabbing 30 minutes of time to help walk me through some questions I have about implementing this method on my Galaxy S10 (Verizon - USA)? I would be happy to compensate you for your time.

rjohnstone

Jan 31, 2011
Phoenix, AZ.
Would you be open to grabbing 30 minutes of time to help walk me through some questions I have about implementing this method on my Galaxy S10 (Verizon - USA)? I would be happy to compensate you for your time.
I do not own a Note 10 and do not know if the same process will work on your device.
Carrier CSC configs change with each device.
While I appreciate the offer, I do suggest working with a dev familiar with the Note 10.

jbigs69

Aug 30, 2020
I do not own a Note 10 and do not know if the same process will work on your device.
Carrier CSC configs change with each device.
While I appreciate the offer, I do suggest working with a dev familiar with the Note 10.
It is not the Note 10 - it is the Galaxy S10; but I appreciate your advice. Thank you!

Reactions: rjohnstone

JKurtz87

Nov 15, 2012
I believe if you unlock the bootloader,with the method floating around, you could flash the say carrier unbranded UK firmware BTU. But if you're in a 5g area I don't believe the modem flashed will support mmwave as they lack the atenna in some overseas models. Only issue is blowing knox fuse, tbh I did it on my z fold2 and haven't looked back. When I get around to wanting to backup my tab s7+ I'll pay $125 for the unlock and give it a test, because alaska is prolly 5 years out for mmwave on verizon😂🤣.

dalxyon

Feb 18, 2021
My co-worker has the feature on his Note20 Ultra 5G and he is using Verizon. He purchased it from Verizon as well as I did but I don't have the feature. I don't understand why. He is able to use the feature on his Verizon plan and it works well. Anyone find a solution for this yet?

EDIT: Nevermind. He updated me and told me that his phone is US Cellular.

Last edited:

dalxyon

Feb 18, 2021
The only way you will get it to work is to flash the unlocked firmware on your Note 20 Ultra. I have the Unlocked Note 20 Ultra being used on Verizon and the S7+ wifi. The Call and Text on other devices work flawlessly. The only thing you will lose is Verizon Video Calling. I have wifi calling and visual voicemail.
Can you explain to me how you flashed your note20 ultra to enable this? I have the VZW variant and want to enable this feature.

nrage23

Nov 16, 2010
Richmond, VA
Can you explain to me how you flashed your note20 ultra to enable this? I have the VZW variant and want to enable this feature.
I did not flash anything. I have the Unlocked model. It is fairly straight forward to change from U to U1, there are many threads with instructions on how to do it.

dalxyon

Feb 18, 2021
I did not flash anything. I have the Unlocked model. It is fairly straight forward to change from U to U1, there are many threads with instructions on how to do it.
Oh, okay. I appreciate it. I have tried to communicate with those in the thread for flashing from U to U1. You're saying my phone won't be bricked by flashing the most recent U1 to my VZW variant note20 ultra? I haven't done this sort of stuff since my note9 but I was far more active in this during the days of the Galaxy S2...

Basically, I understand there are two different processors for the note20 ultra. Having the Qualcomm chip won't be an issue for flashing to the U1? I assume I just download the N986U1UES1CUA1 update and install it by following the instructions?

nrage23

Nov 16, 2010
Richmond, VA
Oh, okay. I appreciate it. I have tried to communicate with those in the thread for flashing from U to U1. You're saying my phone won't be bricked by flashing the most recent U1 to my VZW variant note20 ultra? I haven't done this sort of stuff since my note9 but I was far more active in this during the days of the Galaxy S2...

Basically, I understand there are two different processors for the note20 ultra. Having the Qualcomm chip won't be an issue for flashing to the U1? I assume I just download the N986U1UES1CUA1 update and install it by following the instructions?
Internally the U and U1 are the same device. Only difference is carrier software versus unlocked. I have converted Verizon devices to unlocked in the past via firmware flashing but not on the Note 20 Ultra. If you follow the proper steps then you should not brick the device. You probably need the modified Odin to go from U to U1.

dalxyon

Feb 18, 2021
Internally the U and U1 are the same device. Only difference is carrier software versus unlocked. I have converted Verizon devices to unlocked in the past via firmware flashing but not on the Note 20 Ultra. If you follow the proper steps then you should not brick the device. You probably need the modified Odin to go from U to U1.
I've been following the info on the forum at https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/ota-and-non-ota-firmware-for-n986u-and-n986u1.4143833/ and they provide a link to odin3_v3.13.3b.exe. Is that the modded odin software?