Call to Arms! - Root detection

Search This thread

irzero

Aug 2, 2012
There is a big problem on the horizon.....

Lovefilm and Sky Go on my iPad have stopped working due to my jailbreak...

Turns out Sky Go doesnt work on Rooted Android either!

As much as i hate Sky as a company we dont have much choice in the UK if you want some decent channels on TV. I dont even use their app that much but this trend seems to be catching on...

More and more apps are refusing to run on Jailbroken iOS and the same will be happening on Android soon enough. They are also actively patching any work arounds or hacks to stop people running apps on Rooted or JB devices.

i really hope some of the talented people who code for android can find a good solution to this problem or even better Google comes out and tells the world that Rooters should not lose out like this.

If we can make it so much work for them to keep fixing the holes then maybe they will get fed up with trying to patch them.

Because if we dont then more and more apps will follow!

steemool

Oct 6, 2011
Moscow

As much as i hate Sky as a company we dont have much choice in the UK if you want some decent channels on TV. I dont even use their app that much but this trend seems to be catching on...

More and more apps are refusing to run on Jailbroken iOS and the same will be happening on Android soon enough. They are also actively patching any work arounds or hacks to stop people running apps on Rooted or JB devices.

i really hope some of the talented people who code for android can find a good solution to this problem or even better Google comes out and tells the world that Rooters should not lose out like this.

If we can make it so much work for them to keep fixing the holes then maybe they will get fed up with trying to patch them.

I know that feel bro
*insert hug meme*

Last edited:

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com

There are some apps out there that will temp unroot your phone so apps like that will work. then you just restore it(OTA rootkeeper allows this). Also I think Siyah kernel supports temp unrooting

Rabangus

May 9, 2006
Peterborough
There are some apps out there that will temp unroot your phone so apps like that will work. then you just restore it(OTA rootkeeper allows this). Also I think Siyah kernel supports temp unrooting

Siyah kernel does support temp unrooting, but somehow Sky Go still knows your phone is rooted, and it won't work. So far from the reading I have done there is no solution to this other than to flash back to a stock unrooted firmware. :(

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
I don't think it will become the rule on android, because there are to many apps that even need root, but at ios, probably because jailbreak is the only possibility to get, at least partially, out of their ecosystem.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2

irzero

Aug 2, 2012
As far as I know. Sky Go has gotten around everything so far.

I see not to far in the future a situation where you have to either root and lose lots of apps you use or lose the root lose lots of apps you use.

That's a crap situation for sure

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Lennyuk

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
Sky have invested a heck of a lot of time and money to making the latest Sky Go apps very very hard to hack!

They now do a lot of checking on their severs which makes it impossible for us to hack around.

I am sorry but I don't think we will ever get sky go working properly with root, and as soon as we did sky would update the app to fix the loophole.

esist

Jul 31, 2010
Dublin
Google won't do anything because rooted android isn't standard android. The android platform isn't built like windows or OS X, where the default is the user having root available.

Therefore security (DRM in particular) on those platforms is built with that in mind. Android isn't.

Also, while you might have the best of intentions there are plenty of root-users who would use it to copy content offline, trick it into thinking you have a subscription whe you don't etc.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

irzero

Aug 2, 2012
Sky have invested a heck of a lot of time and money to making the latest Sky Go apps very very hard to hack!

They now do a lot of checking on their severs which makes it impossible for us to hack around.

I am sorry but I don't think we will ever get sky go working properly with root, and as soon as we did sky would update the app to fix the loophole.

This sux for sure.

On iPad they sandboxed the app in its own virtual environment. could this trick it into think its running on unrooted firmware?

alias_neo

Jun 9, 2006
London
I can't see how there is no way around this. If the app tests root, deny it, if it scans for root binaries, change/rename them. What am I missing here? Is there some other level of detection somewhere?

irzero

Aug 2, 2012
Google won't do anything because rooted android isn't standard android. The android platform isn't built like windows or OS X, where the default is the user having root available.

Therefore security (DRM in particular) on those platforms is built with that in mind. Android isn't.

Also, while you might have the best of intentions there are plenty of root-users who would use it to copy content offline, trick it into thinking you have a subscription whe you don't etc.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

You cant get the content without a subscription anyway, the problem has been people UDID spoofing and getting more active devices than they are allowed. Its a joke that they limit this anyway they should just make it so you can only be logged in on 2 devices at any one time using traditional methods like IP address and IMEI

irzero

Aug 2, 2012
I can't see how there is no way around this. If the app tests root, deny it, if it scans for root binaries, change/rename them. What am I missing here? Is there some other level of detection somewhere?

temporary unroot doesnt even work so i dont know how it works personally. Out of my depth on this

Lennyuk

Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England

The Sky Go app is a bastard

This is a list of some of the things it checks (but not all)

- Root binaries
- Root App
- Phone model
- Android version
- Custom Recovery
- Custom Kernels
- IMEI checks (stops wifi-only tablets..)

The first 4 are simple to overcome, the last three cause major issues!

irzero

Aug 2, 2012

- Root binaries
- Root App
- Phone model
- Android version
- Custom Recovery
- Custom Kernels

Why would that stop wifi tablets? it works on my iPad wifi only?

alias_neo

Jun 9, 2006
London

- Root binaries
- Root App
- Phone model
- Android version
- Custom Recovery
- Custom Kernels

How in earth does this user space application have the ability to check custom recovery? I suppose kernel might be easy, but recovery??

Still, there must be ways around it.

Lennyuk

Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
How in earth does this user space application have the ability to check custom recovery? I suppose kernel might be easy, but recovery??

Still, there must be ways around it.

Thats the thing, we (me and two others who worked on hacking this app) couldn't work it out! But it definitely was detecting it, we tried it on Samsung and HTC devices with no root and stock kernel but with a custom recovery and sky go stopped worked, change back to stock recovery and the app works again but we could not find any code that checked it.

On most devices to get it to work you need a stock based rom, stock recovery (unless recovery is part of kernel like S2) stock based kernel (ro.secure=1 must be set!) no or hidden root. You then need to make sure you fit the device or version checks, if you don't you need a hacked app that allows you to do this.

However the latest sky go apps do a sever side check for the apps signature (so you cannot decompile and recompile without changing this). So basically we can no longer do even the most basic of hacks.

alias_neo

Jun 9, 2006
London
Thats the thing, we (me and two others who worked on hacking this app) couldn't work it out! But it definitely was detecting it, we tried it on Samsung and HTC devices with no root and stock kernel but with a custom recovery and sky go stopped worked, change back to stock recovery and the app works again but we could not find any code that checked it.

On most devices to get it to work you need a stock based rom, stock recovery (unless recovery is part of kernel like S2) stock based kernel (ro.secure=1 must be set!) no or hidden root. You then need to make sure you fit the device or version checks, if you don't you need a hacked app that allows you to do this.

However the latest sky go apps do a sever side check for the apps signature (so you cannot decompile and recompile without changing this). So basically we can no longer do even the most basic of hacks.

Surely you can modify it to spoof the signature the app uses to send to the server...

They really have gone all out eh.

spences10

Jan 18, 2010
London
Well done sky, you bastards!

I have a Nexus 7 2012 WiFi only so ytheres no chance of using it on there :'(

Thanks LennyUK

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can't you just not use their app? Don't know what it does though, but the point is to send across some sort of disapproving message. If enough people stop using their stuff they're likely to chance policies - if the company invested enough in something they'll change usage policies easier than see people not caring for them, i think. Also, they need to be aware this is the reason for stop using their stuff. Maybe write them an email or some sort of letter or even better make it public like posting on their facebook. Nothing insultuous, a well-thought educated complaint expressing you stopped using their stuff and considering stop being their client because you don't agree with the no-root policy. Negative publicity is something big compaines always try to avoid.

I realise this isn't a quick solution but given the impossibility of a functional workaroud, this is probably the best method.