Calling Windows CE geniuses!

Search This thread

imyk

Dec 16, 2009
I need some help fixing a windows CE based device, can someone please help? The manufacturer no longer supports the device :(

Basically I have a ancient digital back (sensor module for a camera), it is in 2 parts, there is the sensor with it's own serial number and a e-back (which is the computer part). I've had to change my e-back as mine developed a fault. The eback I use is second hand and not compatible because it has the serial of another sensor.

The eback only has 1 firewire port and 1 CF card slot. The manufacturer was able to perform allsorts of updates using the firewire port with their proprietory software, which they no longer have :(

I have tried the good old trick of putting total comander on the CF card but it is not detected.

Basically I need to figure out where the serial number is stored on the windows CE part and change it to match the sensor.

Happy to pay for help if I can get it working.

Bcoates84

Jul 20, 2016
Saint Catharines
Can you please post pictures of the device. What is brand name? Do you have any pictures of the serial numbers
I can look in my developers tool box once I know more about the device.
Did you test the (cf card) because it sounds kinda like that part is not working. Do you have an adapter for the card it is possible that the card is incorrectly formatted or corrupted.

imyk

Dec 16, 2009
Can you please post pictures of the device. What is brand name? Do you have any pictures of the serial numbers
Did you test the (cf card) because it sounds kinda like that part is not working. Do you have an adapter for the card it is possible that the card is incorrectly formatted or corrupted.
The device is a Leaf aptus 22 digital back. Leaf as a company no longer exists. The device has 1 cf card slot and 1 firewire port. The base os is windows ce but it boots up in their firmware. I need to access the base ce os to see what is going on. Is there a way? I tried all the variations of creating folders on the cf card corresponding to the cpu type, though I am not sure of the exact cpu, I tried all variants. The screen on the back is touch screen and the interface that loads onto it is custom. No CE interface is shown anywhere.

aptus_003379 copy.jpg

Attachments

• aptus_003371 copy.jpg
    aptus_003371 copy.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11

imyk

Dec 16, 2009
The device is a Leaf aptus 22 digital back. Leaf as a company no longer exists. The device has 1 cf card slot and 1 firewire port. The base os is windows ce but it boots up in their firmware. I need to access the base ce os to see what is going on. Is there a way? I tried all the variations of creating folders on the cf card corresponding to the cpu type, though I am not sure of the exact cpu, I tried all variants. The screen on the back is touch screen and the interface that loads onto it is custom. No CE interface is shown anywhere.

View attachment 5648237
The Cf card slot works fine for shooting images onto. Just cant get it to boot total commander.

Bcoates84

Jul 20, 2016
Saint Catharines
Pop off the battery and under the battery there should be some numbers I Would need to see that plz. The total commandor is most likely not compatible with windows ce.

imyk

Dec 16, 2009

Attachments

• IMG_20220630_120722.jpg
    IMG_20220630_120722.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 32

imyk

Dec 16, 2009
Please see attached photo

Bcoates84

Jul 20, 2016
Saint Catharines
Please see attached photo
Wow. Sorry for the late reply. I was looking everywhere in my dev tool box and I couldn't find anything that will help. The one way to access the "rom" is to install net 4.2 with visual studio 2018 on your p.c but that really only grants access to the apps and gives you the option to make your own apps. If you have had "Total Commandor" working before on the device it is most likely you was running an older version of the program wich can be accessed through the archives. Clean the battery terminals with a cue tip I see some general grit. This device is worth a lot of $ so it is of importance to be careful. I see that the device is Bluetooth capable of accessing the memory. I would always recommend using the fire wire port for debugging 1394. What is the computer or device you are using to connect to the leaf? I am wondering if the leaf has a debug mode. Check the manual if you have it sometimes there is a cd with the manual with some drivers on it. Thank you.

imyk

Dec 16, 2009
Not sure if visual studio will give me access to the part where the serial number is stored 😔 the company never provided any software to allow you access to the rom, they used to charge thousands of pounds for simple config changes 😂😂😂

The firewire is used to push images to the laptop using their desktop software.

I mainly used it with mac osx and Leaf Capture software.

Bluetooth was also used for sending images to a ipaq device back in the days. Ipaq needed their client software.

The battery contacts are fine.

I was hoping to somehow access the rom or internal storage like you can if you stick a drive in a Linux machine, mount it and browse away.

Thanks for your help though.