• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

CalyxOS for Pixel 4a Sunfish

Search This thread

HeartWood

Mar 29, 2018
Should the Aurora app store have all the free apps that are on the Google play store? Because I can't seem to find my banking app (which are free on the play store)

srdempster

Feb 4, 2012
Staffordshire
OPPO A74 5G
I currently have Calyx installed with MicroG and is working well. I am toying with the idea of moving to Graphene so to test the apps I have are compatible. If I disable/remove the apps relating to MicroG, I need to know which ones to do. I'll probably disable them 1st and run for a week and then remove altogether and then move over to Graphene if it works.

Feb 27, 2021
I currently have Calyx installed with MicroG and is working well. I am toying with the idea of moving to Graphene so to test the apps I have are compatible. If I disable/remove the apps relating to MicroG, I need to know which ones to do. I'll probably disable them 1st and run for a week and then remove altogether and then move over to Graphene if it works.
Is Calyx not secure enough? Just curious....

TheSayaMan

Sep 12, 2016
a

I have to say....Calyx is probably the best for me..;as far as security and usability balance.

One question I have though....Calyx and Graphene use "AVB Keys". I'm guessing that really increases security???
Correct, it's all about encryption for the best security. You could remove the keys by editing the flash-all.bat file but I woudn't recommend doing that.

TheSayaMan

Sep 12, 2016
flashing works without any issues but after its finished i still get the stock rom after the restart, any solutions?
That can't be. This is a like stock rom without the Google goodies. If you flash this, it would not boot stock firmware, you would be stuck at boot animation without a factory reset, but flashing this does a factory reset automatically unless you edit out the -w in the flash-all.bat file. In this case, it wouldn't boot at all.

Sickulo

Jul 13, 2021
I installed CalyxOS on my 4a yesterday afternoon and all I can say is "Two thumbs up".

Only issue I have had so far is Signal telling me it can't find google services and the pop-up about establishing a connection (I don't remember the exact wording). I reinstalled Signal and haven't had the pop-up in awhile. Not a deal breaker by any means. I think I have this fixed now.

I'm on Visible Mobile and have had no issues with data, SMS, or calls.

I haven't flashed a phone in 7 or 8 years... The CalyxOS install was simple as pie.
How did you fix the issue? Right now I am in a similar situation where everything works, but the only thing that isn't working is my data, where there should be an LTE on the top left of my screen is replaced by nothing at all.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Patch new boot.img from OTA with Magisk then save that file in your adb tools folder. In Magisk, click on restore images. This will unroot. Proceed with the OTA update. After OTA downloaded, install and reboot your phone. After update completes, reboot into bootloader and flash new Magisk patched file. Fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img and reboot your phone. You will have updated OTA and be rooted again without effecting your data on device. Another way is to download the full new update, open the flash-all.bat file as text editor and where the update is listed, remove the -w before it. Then save it. Double click the flash-all.bat file and the new update will install. In this second option, you can update while you are still rooted, however in either case, you will not be rooted after update and will need to flash the Magisk patched img to gain root access again
    Thank you for the suggested solutions.
    Unfortunately, I was not successful and had planned to try again this weekend.
    When I just turned on the 4a the download started again, but this time the following update also worked. With a magisk_pachted bootimage I had root again and am now on 2.7.1. (y)
    CalyxOS for Pixel 4a Sunfish

Downloading the Flasher​

SHA256:
    • Linux: f4e68992198868148ca2d4bd0fd40d0176da4058a188a3fdf80732d04a6c3543
    • macOS: 5e5542f51c1592e392114636f2e64fe9dae1cacaaf55c722822780ec5cbf9331
    • Windows: 0cdaf47f1c97e43c70e0fe7cfff63fcaa140799ccc494bebf6451e96cbcdda6c

Steps​

1. Download CalyxOS image for your pixel 4a here: https://release.calyxinstitute.org/sunfish-factory-2.7.1.zip
    2. Download the flasher for the Operating System you’re using from the links above
      1. For Windows, you also need to download and install “Googles USB driver ZIP file” from https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb
      2. For installation instructions, see https://developer.android.com/studio/run/oem-usb#InstallingDriver
    3. Place the flasher as well as the CalyxOS image into the same folder. Do not extract or rename the zip, simply copy it as-is.
    4. Double-click the flasher to run it, and follow the steps shown on your screen.
      If that doesn’t work, then you can:
    5. Open a Terminal or Command Prompt in that directory, and then
    6. Run the flasher using:
      • Linux: chmod +x ./device-flasher.linux; ./device-flasher.linux
      • macOS: chmod +x ./device-flasher.darwin; ./device-flasher.darwin
      • Windows: .\device-flasher.exe

Notes​

This is the updated July 2021 security patch

CalyxOS does not include gapps and can not be flashed on this rom.

MicroG is included and can be enabled or disabled based on user preference.

Aurora Store replaces Google Play Store. Most Google Play Store apps supported. Google play store paid apps are NOT supported.

MicroG replaces Google Play Services.

Google Fi does work but must login to Google account.

Signature spoofing support.
    April update is up.

If you have issues when flashing, replace the flash-all.bat file with this one below.

The funniest part of using a degoogled phone is getting the flash bat file from a Google drive.
    Updated to June 2021 security patch with flashing instructions
    Calyx doesn't support root

Actually that is incorrect. You can use the boot.img inside the image zip and patch it with magisk and root it.
    Patch new boot.img from OTA with Magisk then save that file in your adb tools folder. In Magisk, click on restore images. This will unroot. Proceed with the OTA update. After OTA downloaded, install and reboot your phone. After update completes, reboot into bootloader and flash new Magisk patched file. Fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img and reboot your phone. You will have updated OTA and be rooted again without effecting your data on device. Another way is to download the full new update, open the flash-all.bat file as text editor and where the update is listed, remove the -w before it. Then save it. Double click the flash-all.bat file and the new update will install. In this second option, you can update while you are still rooted, however in either case, you will not be rooted after update and will need to flash the Magisk patched img to gain root access again
    Thank you for the suggested solutions.
    Unfortunately, I was not successful and had planned to try again this weekend.
    When I just turned on the 4a the download started again, but this time the following update also worked. With a magisk_pachted bootimage I had root again and am now on 2.7.1. (y)