Question Camera full of dust

Search This thread

hotto1996

Feb 1, 2019
Hello guys, can you please so me a favor and look for dust under the glass of the main camera module?

I was unlucky with the mi 11 u again
First the mi10 and the mi 10 pro afterwards the Poco x3 and now the mi 11 ultra. I'm so freaking unlucky and I hope tradingshenzen will fix this as soon as possible.

Best regards

P.s. everything you can see in the pictures can't be cleaned off - i tried my best and after using a flashlight I was 100% sure it's under the glass.

Attachments

• 20210509_174445_101011.jpg
    20210509_174445_101011.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 304
  • 20210509_174416_100954.jpg
    20210509_174416_100954.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 296

jericho246

• Dec 19, 2015
    Damn that's unfortunate, man. I read about some other phone having this issue, I think it was the OnePlus 5 or 6 a few years ago. People had to send back the phone.
    My Mi 11 Ultra is arriving tomorrow so I can't check right now, but once it arrives, I will.

I hope you get it sorted. Good luck.

UPDATE: so I did check the cameras for dust and it looks like there's none on my unit. Lucky me.

Last edited:

hotto1996

Feb 1, 2019
    Damn that's unfortunate, man. I read about some other phone having this issue, I think it was the OnePlus 5 or 6 a few years ago. People had to send back the phone.
    My Mi 11 Ultra is arriving tomorrow so I can't check right now, but once it arrives, I will.

I hope you get it sorted. Good luck.
    Yes I was reading about it too. All models I've listed had the same dust spots. The Poco was the worst tho, it was actually so bad it was affecting the quality of the pictures.
    Looks like defective unit. Exchange it
    I will try my best. I'm from germany and the devices is from tradingshenzen...i don't know how they will react 😅 I have read horrible story's about them when it's coming to exchange devices or reparing them ..

avetny

• Jul 16, 2010
    Private Island.
    Yes I was reading about it too. All models I've listed had the same dust spots. The Poco was the worst tho, it was actually so bad it was affecting the quality of the pictures.

I will try my best. I'm from germany and the devices is from tradingshenzen...i don't know how they will react 😅 I have read horrible story's about them when it's coming to exchange devices or reparing them ..
    If u paid by PayPal u have 30 days for exchange or return

hotto1996

Feb 1, 2019
    If u paid by PayPal u have 30 days for exchange or return
    From which date? From the date I bought it or from the point I got it? I bought it on the 03.04 already but I got it almost 4 weeks later and where did you get your information from? I can't find any on the website

Kollachi

• Aug 24, 2013
    Telegram
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
    OnePlus 7T

That's bullshit. I have ordered there a few times and also hadn't issues with refund or repairing. (auch from Germany)

Reactions: hotto1996

panda24z

Feb 29, 2012
    Son of a biscuit stick. I was wondering what the odds were that someone had literal dust in their camera module. I went ahead and checked my Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra... I have dust in mine too. Or rather one big spec of dust. I cleaned the outside surface with no avail. I just got my unit last Friday too. I've reached out to WondaMobile, to see what can be done. Have you guys ever encountered any issues with Wonda? This is my first purchase from them and I have no idea what's in store for me.

Attachments

• Snapchat-413776509.jpg
      Snapchat-413776509.jpg
      752.9 KB · Views: 169
    • IMG_20210512_171952.jpg
      IMG_20210512_171952.jpg
      3.1 MB · Views: 170
    • YouCut_20210512_203642740.mp4
      33.9 MB · Views: 0

panda24z

Feb 29, 2012
    Son of a biscuit stick. I was wondering what the odds were that someone had literal dust in their camera module. I went ahead and checked my Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra... I have dust in mine too. Or rather one big spec of dust. I cleaned the outside surface with no avail. I just got my unit last Friday too. I've reached out to WondaMobile, to see what can be done. Have you guys ever encountered any issues with Wonda? This is my first purchase from them and I have no idea what's in store for me.

Update! I sent WondaMobile an email and they responded extremely fast. They asked me to send it back, so they could check the device. If it is factory faulty, not man made damages. They have agreed to refund me. They also stated that device is out of stock atm, so a replacement was not guaranteed. However, I could submit it for a warranty claim and see if they can get me a replacement that way instead, if it's deemed a man made damage.

hotto1996

Feb 1, 2019
    Hey! Thx for your reply. Again: I'm responding quite late I'm not getting any notifications. Well I need to give it back too and they will look for dust. Thing is it's not really big -, I'm afraid they telling me it's fine but I don't think having any kind of dust anywhere is "Fine" for a 1100€ flagship. Thx for you post tho, it could help me out to get some pressure on them if needed. I will play my joker PayPal card too if it's nesescary.

panda24z

Feb 29, 2012
    I'm debating on sending the unit back. Shipment is at least $65 USD and then god knows how long the wait will be. There is no guarantee that they will replace the unit. I could get a refund, but it'll take a couple of weeks to get it (with shipment and processing). I personally feel like Wondamobile will refund me, but it's just a hassle.

The spec of dust is on my telephoto, which I don't use anyways. It doesn't really affect me much. It's easier for me to just open up the device, clean the lense and reseal it. The dust is not inside the camera, but right on the glass layer above it. Doing so would affect the IP68 rating, since it probably won't have the same water resistance. I don't really put my phone in such environments. So other than a small inconvenience, it's not too bad.

However, I do agree that buying a phone with dust is not acceptable. Especially for the hefty price tag. A consumer should not be required to fix a manufacturing issue. But after evaluating my options, it's easier and cheaper for me to just fix the issue myself. Granted that I enjoy tinkering with tech and I have some general experience taking electronics apart.

But yeah, I would say ship it back. If the issue is indeed a manufacturing issue and there is no resolution/ they refuse to address the issue, totally reach out to your bank or PayPal to get that addressed. I hate doing charge backs, but sometimes they are needed. Especially when if it's a issue you had no control over it.

hotto1996

Feb 1, 2019
    I'm debating on sending the unit back. Shipment is at least $65 USD and then god knows how long the wait will be. There is no guarantee that they will replace the unit. I could get a refund, but it'll take a couple of weeks to get it (with shipment and processing). I personally feel like Wondamobile will refund me, but it's just a hassle.

The spec of dust is on my telephoto, which I don't use anyways. It doesn't really affect me much. It's easier for me to just open up the device, clean the lense and reseal it. The dust is not inside the camera, but right on the glass layer above it. Doing so would affect the IP68 rating, since it probably won't have the same water resistance. I don't really put my phone in such environments. So other than a small inconvenience, it's not too bad.

However, I do agree that buying a phone with dust is not acceptable. Especially for the hefty price tag. A consumer should not be required to fix a manufacturing issue. But after evaluating my options, it's easier and cheaper for me to just fix the issue myself. Granted that I enjoy tinkering with tech and I have some general experience taking electronics apart.

But yeah, I would say ship it back. If the issue is indeed a manufacturing issue and there is no resolution/ they refuse to address the issue, totally reach out to your bank or PayPal to get that addressed. I hate doing charge backs, but sometimes they are needed. Especially when if it's a issue you had no control over it.
    I couldn't say it any better although I would strongly advice you to ship it back. Remember you got a ceramic back - it's way harder to open without breaking it. I'm working at a German mobile Refurbisher and im dealing with these kinds of things every day but I wouldn't do that on a new device which costs around 1000+€. Isn't there any way for them to exchange it with another unit maybe from another costumer who gave back the mobile? They can't repair it anyway. This device is most likely to be sold in a few years to Refurbishers like I am one. I wrote with a guy from tradingshenzen and he told me that he will either give my money back after recieving the device or swap it against a new one if possible from another costumer who gave it back and which isn't opend up. I hate dealing with give backs too it's super annoying to me...i waited 6 weeks for my device just to wait a few weeks more now too although I'm really glad that I got the possibility to send it back to a German service point.

Reactions: panda24z

panda24z

Feb 29, 2012
    I couldn't say it any better although I would strongly advice you to ship it back. Remember you got a ceramic back - it's way harder to open without breaking it. I'm working at a German mobile Refurbisher and im dealing with these kinds of things every day but I wouldn't do that on a new device which costs around 1000+€. Isn't there any way for them to exchange it with another unit maybe from another costumer who gave back the mobile? They can't repair it anyway. This device is most likely to be sold in a few years to Refurbishers like I am one. I wrote with a guy from tradingshenzen and he told me that he will either give my money back after recieving the device or swap it against a new one if possible from another costumer who gave it back and which isn't opend up. I hate dealing with give backs too it's super annoying to me...i waited 6 weeks for my device just to wait a few weeks more now too although I'm really glad that I got the possibility to send it back to a German service point.
    Thanks for your feedback. I'm confident that I can get it opened and sealed up. There is always a risk though and It's never the same afterwards, compared to a new factory sealed device. I still have some time to reevaluate the situation. I'll think it over today and decide tomorrow morning.

What I'm not looking forward to is the wait and the loss of an additional $65 for shipment. I knew that ordering a phone internationally was a risk, and that's just one of the downsides.

Wondamobile support told me that they did not have any global units in stock, and that they didn't know when they would come back in stock either. So a replacement was not something they could do. They stated that they could conduct a warranty claim and see if Xiaomi can get that replaced, if I wanted to go that route. The other option would be to refund the device of course. Honestly, if I do ship it back I'll just get it refunded and wait for the device to be more wildly available.

All I know is if I get my $1300 back, I'll be extremely hesitant to purchase any phone internationally again. I'll see if maybe there is a more local seller. Only time will tell.

Thanks again. I'll keep you posted on what I decided tomorrow morning, but now I am aiming more towards the refund. Might even buy the white version in the future with the refund.

speedtripler

Aug 24, 2013
    Thanks for your feedback. I'm confident that I can get it opened and sealed up. There is always a risk though and It's never the same afterwards, compared to a new factory sealed device. I still have some time to reevaluate the situation. I'll think it over today and decide tomorrow morning.

What I'm not looking forward to is the wait and the loss of an additional $65 for shipment. I knew that ordering a phone internationally was a risk, and that's just one of the downsides.

Wondamobile support told me that they did not have any global units in stock, and that they didn't know when they would come back in stock either. So a replacement was not something they could do. They stated that they could conduct a warranty claim and see if Xiaomi can get that replaced, if I wanted to go that route. The other option would be to refund the device of course. Honestly, if I do ship it back I'll just get it refunded and wait for the device to be more wildly available.

All I know is if I get my $1300 back, I'll be extremely hesitant to purchase any phone internationally again. I'll see if maybe there is a more local seller. Only time will tell.

Thanks again. I'll keep you posted on what I decided tomorrow morning, but now I am aiming more towards the refund. Might even buy the white version in the future with the refund.
    The only good news is, they get cheaper with time... But this is really crappy build quality from Xiaomi and further proves they are not really ready to compete on the world flagship stage with Samsung and Apple etc

Some people paid ~$1500 for devices with manufacturing dust in the camera lenses which is just unacceptable imo

i had a look at mine and can't see anything but I haven't used a magnifying glass and a torch yet because I have no return option anyway since I got mine from the first batch released in China

panda24z

Feb 29, 2012
    The only good news is, they get cheaper with time... But this is really crappy build quality from Xiaomi and further proves they are not really ready to compete on the world flagship stage with Samsung and Apple etc

Some people paid ~$1500 for devices with manufacturing dust in the camera lenses which is just unacceptable imo

i had a look at mine and can't see anything but I haven't used a magnifying glass and a torch yet because I have no return option anyway since I got mine from the first batch released in China
    Agreed, they should be putting in more measures to ensure quality is met before they ship the devices out.

This has been my first Xiaomi phone, and now I'm hesitant to try getting a new Xiaomi phone in the future. It could have just been bad luck on my side, but I'm certain more customers are bound to have the same dust issue, hence why this post is even a thing.

I really wanted to give Xiaomi the benefit of the doubt with the Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra, but you are correct. They're just not on the same level as Samsung and Apple yet. I want to be optimistic, but for now I'll make sure to wait several months before commiting to a new Xiaomi phone. Just so I can know all the possible quirks and issues. Only then can I really decide if it's worth it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Just checked my Mi11 Ultra from Giztop, used for around 4 weeks, in normal room light condition I don't see any dust, looks normal ?

DSC_5498.JPG

But when I use very strong flashlight and point the beam at around 35 degrees angle then I can start to see some dust:

DSC_5512.JPG

DSC_5523.JPG

DSC_5519.JPG

In my case looks like telephoto lens got some dust, the rest seams to be clean...
      When I'm looking into lenses from very close, I don't see anything :D

I will be monitoring the situation and checking if I will be getting more dust or that's from production line...

And below you can see dust on my lenses in DSLR camera what was used to take photos of dust in MI 11 Ultra... There are bigger pieces of dust, and photos still looks great.
      IMG_20210514_191510.jpg
      You guys are making me afraid to check mine lol
      There was no big dust at the base when I received the phone

I think the phone is not really airtight, the dust manages to get into the photo modul

Ip68 .... Fake
      Hey guys, just a quick update from my refund

I will do this quick and clean:
      Trading Shenzhen took it back immediately without hesitation and 3 days later my money was back where it came from (to the pocket of my wife lol just kidding) everythings fine. I won't buy it again right now. I wasn't pleased with this mobile in general. Xiaomi did lots of things wrong in my opinion this time.
      Just checked my Mi11 Ultra from Giztop, used for around 4 weeks, in normal room light condition I don't see any dust, looks normal ?

DSC_5498.JPG

But when I use very strong flashlight and point the beam at around 35 degrees angle then I can start to see some dust:

DSC_5512.JPG

DSC_5523.JPG

DSC_5519.JPG

In my case looks like telephoto lens got some dust, the rest seams to be clean...
      When I'm looking into lenses from very close, I don't see anything :D

I will be monitoring the situation and checking if I will be getting more dust or that's from production line...

And below you can see dust on my lenses in DSLR camera what was used to take photos of dust in MI 11 Ultra... There are bigger pieces of dust, and photos still looks great.
      IMG_20210514_191510.jpg
      You guys are making me afraid to check mine lol
      There was no big dust at the base when I received the phone

I think the phone is not really airtight, the dust manages to get into the photo modul

Ip68 .... Fake

Update! I sent WondaMobile an email and they responded extremely fast. They asked me to send it back, so they could check the device. If it is factory faulty, not man made damages. They have agreed to refund me. They also stated that device is out of stock atm, so a replacement was not guaranteed. However, I could submit it for a warranty claim and see if they can get me a replacement that way instead, if it's deemed a man made damage.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone