Question Camera - good enough or need gcam?

Search This thread

mt2020

Sep 13, 2009
Coming from pixel pro 6. Love the camera, hate the size of phone. Know I'm giving up some great features by going smaller but what are you early owners seeing with the camera? Anyone planning on finding a gcam ported to it? Heard someone ported google photos also so magic eraser would work.

Thoughts please why I impatiently wait on my phone to arrive.

mzsquared

Feb 22, 2018
CT
Good enough. Definitely better than than my Flip 3 👍
The 3 seemed to lack detail and colour for me.
I took some Flip 4 pics today to see how it goes, the color rendering seems ok, decent photos in good light conditions. No overkill, just point & shoot camera - things we were expecting from this phone.

Attachments

• 20220828_184505.jpg
    20220828_184505.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 177
  • 20220828_184829.jpg
    20220828_184829.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 164
  • 20220828_184148.jpg
    20220828_184148.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 170

Chavist1

Feb 11, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4
The camera on this phone is definitely no Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro; however, I think that should be a given when upgrading. I installed The Greatest GCam port and was impressed. The issue with the ports that I have found is that they don't mimic the new camera software on the Pixels. The one that was closest did something weird with my camera lens and made everything spherical looking.

acytoo

Jul 28, 2012
Google Pixel
Google Pixel 3
Been using pixel since pixel 1, the camera is not as good as pixel's, even compared to a pixel 3 (2018).

The picture took by Samsung is more colorful than pixel, more colorful than real.

And the picture took at night is worse than pixel. Pixel's algorithm (night sight) is absolutely needed.

Is there any working G Cam port? Thank you.

mt2020

Sep 13, 2009
Haven't found a gcam port that doesn't crash yet, but Adobe is working on a camera app that is suppose to have similar AI to Pixel, along with some other great stuff. Don't know when it will be released though

AHE_XDA

Mar 20, 2019
The camera is certainly a step up from last year's device but not quite flagship grade.

It excels in well-lit areas absent of any fast moving objects.

A working GCAM port might convince to me to reconsider it as a daily driver (as I literally have no other qualms with the device).

Reactions: Chavist1

acytoo

Jul 28, 2012
Google Pixel
Google Pixel 3
Haven't found a gcam port that doesn't crash yet, but Adobe is working on a camera app that is suppose to have similar AI to Pixel, along with some other great stuff. Don't know when it will be released though
The latest g cam from BSG doesn't crash.

Version 8.6.263_a11_v2

Reactions: Moaske

harpdoc

Aug 1, 2008
Tried the BSG camera port. The good news is that everything seems to work. The bad news is that I took a number of test comparison shots with the Samsung camera (both lenses, night mode, portrait mode). The Samsung photos were clearly superior each time. If nothing else, makes me feel good about the camera built into the phone.

Reactions: starche_old

acytoo

Jul 28, 2012
Google Pixel
Google Pixel 3
Tried the BSG camera port. The good news is that everything seems to work. The bad news is that I took a number of test comparison shots with the Samsung camera (both lenses, night mode, portrait mode). The Samsung photos were clearly superior each time. If nothing else, makes me feel good about the camera built into the phone.
Can you take the selfie using the front camera? I tried G Cam from all mods and non of them has a working front camera. You can preview from the front camera, but you can't save the image.

As for the "superior", it's just personal tastes. Many people like the raw and real feeling of the G cam. Samsung's camera is too "vivid", the sky is bluer and the trees are more green, FAKE. And often lost the details because of the color management. G Cam, just captures the real world most of time.

harpdoc

Aug 1, 2008
Can you take the selfie using the front camera? I tried G Cam from all mods and non of them has a working front camera. You can preview from the front camera, but you can't save the image.

As for the "superior", it's just personal tastes. Many people like the raw and real feeling of the G cam. Samsung's camera is too "vivid", the sky is bluer and the trees are more green, FAKE. And often lost the details because of the color management. G Cam, just captures the real world most of time.
Sorry, I've already deleted G Cam, so I can't test the selfie cam. Didn't think to try it.

starche_old

Apr 13, 2006
ON, Canada
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4
Came from S22U, so my experienceis not applicablefor everyone.

For sure, the camera is not like in that phone, especially I'm missing the telephoto one. Night shots are more messy and such.

On the other hand though, it's not that bad at all. Night shots are doing what it supposed to do, day photos are great.

In my mind, I can say that the cameras on Flip 4 gets "Decent +" mark

Top Liked Posts