Camera incapable of 16:9 images at high resolution?

Search This thread

ImpulseGX

Feb 5, 2014
Hi all,

Asking for my dad who is looking at the P20 Pro as a replacement for his Lumia 1020. He's extremely picky & wants an amazing camera, and the P20 Pro fits all his expectations.

The only thing we've noticed when looking at demo devices is that the camera only supports 4:3 images at 40MP. He specifically wants 16:9 or even 18:9 images at high resolution - I'm unable to install 3rd party camera apps on the demo phone we've looked at however.

Can anyone here that owns the phone confirm it does or doesn't support this camera mode?

Thanks in advance ?

DaveP2611

Aug 11, 2014
Basildon
Hi all,

Asking for my dad who is looking at the P20 Pro as a replacement for his Lumia 1020. He's extremely picky & wants an amazing camera, and the P20 Pro fits all his expectations.

The only thing we've noticed when looking at demo devices is that the camera only supports 4:3 images at 40MP. He specifically wants 16:9 or even 18:9 images at high resolution - I'm unable to install 3rd party camera apps on the demo phone we've looked at however.

Can anyone here that owns the phone confirm it does or doesn't support this camera mode?

Thanks in advance

Yep sadly that's correct

Screen captures of Stock Camera and FV-5

Screenshot_20180410-132208.jpg

Screenshot_20180410-132311.jpg

For now, tell him to keep that 1020, wish I had never sold mine, had the camera grip for it and the photos it took where something else!

Last edited:

ImpulseGX

Feb 5, 2014
Yep sadly that's correct

Screen captures of Stock Camera and FV-5

For now, tell him to keep that 1020, wish I had never sold mine, had the camera grip for it and the photos it took where something else!

Thanks for the reply! Have you tried with any other 3rd party camera apps? Think we're both hoping it's gonna happen eventually as I'm tempted by the Pro myself haha.

marko68

Mar 16, 2007
Edinburgh
Xiaomi Mi 11
Hi all,

Thanks in advance
Real photos are 4:3 not 16:9. As photographer I hate 16:9 photos

Reactions: otonieru and krs360

Ziddy7

Apr 10, 2018
I'm the dad l lol
I simply want high res photos in widescreen.
Personally I can't see the issue.
My 6-7yr old. Lumia 1020 with 41 megapixel sensor, takes 38mp 4:3 pics or 34mp. 16:9 ones.
My Z5 premium takes 23mp 4:3 or 20mp 16:9 pics.
I don't want to get a phone with 40mp sensor and only be able to have 7mp images at a widescreen ratio, kinda defeats the point imo.
I also don't want to end up having to edit every photo to widescreen ratio, not the hundreds of photos I take ?

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta
While that may be how the cameras are designed, most screens are 16:9 ratio. Phone cameras aren't designed for award winning photos just point & shoot. Looking at 4:3 images on a 16:9 screen just wastes display real estate...

Any photographer will understand that shooting in 16:9 is wasting pixels. And wasting sensor real estate

It decreased quality doesnt matter how you look at it.

If i need 16:9, i'll just go crop it myself.

I rather have a full quality image to be cropped later, instead of a "pseudo wide" image which cant be reverted back to full size (uncropped) in case i need it.

DaveP2611

Aug 11, 2014
Basildon
I'm the dad l lol
My 6-7yr old. Lumia 1020 with 41 megapixel sensor, takes 38mp 4:3 pics or 34mp. 16:9 ones.
I don't want to get a phone with 40mp sensor and only be able to have 7mp images at a widescreen ratio, kinda defeats the point imo.
I also don't want to end up having to edit every photo to widescreen ratio, not the hundreds of photos I take

Okay so Open Camera gives same options as FV-5 BUT Camera MX offers 7296x4104 so 30mp

View attachment 4472311

As mentioned, the Camera MX does offer a 30mp image at 16:9 but it seems to be the only one I've found so far.

Reactions: Ziddy7

walkerx

May 22, 2009
South Yorkshire
even on my sony cameras, the 16:9 is lower resolution than 4:3

16:9 is only really good for monitors, otherwise standard 4:3 is the normal output

marko68

Mar 16, 2007
Edinburgh
Xiaomi Mi 11
Any photographer will understand that shooting in 16:9 is wasting pixels. And wasting sensor real estate

I rather have a full quality image to be cropped later, instead of a "pseudo wide" image which cant be reverted back to full size (uncropped) in case i need it.

Agree totally

Ziddy7

Apr 10, 2018
As mentioned, the Camera MX does offer a 30mp image at 16:9 but it seems to be the only one I've found so far.

Is there a way to set that app as the default so when you swipe, it starts that instead of the onboard camera app?
Thanks for the reply ?
I tried that app on my Z5 premium (23mp sensor) and it only offered 10mp 16:9 images!
Strange as the standard one does 20mp 16:9

thebigben72

Aug 6, 2018
thank you for sorting out the Camera MX app, I have (or had) the same issue with the low res 16:9 settings on the p20 pro.
And i'm also not a photographer, but the only screens i'l use to look at my photo's will be 16:9 led-screens not 3:4 paper...
We've left the the 4:3 ratio on our TV's didn't we? :)

Reactions: superman25

orangecroc

Dec 20, 2010
Shoot in 40mp then crop.
The 7mp wide is nearly 4k resolution anyway. But if you must go higher that is how.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

nzweers

Sep 14, 2012
The dad is right. Cameras support 4:3 because that is closer to 1:1 which is the optimal sensor space behind a lens. However we left 4:3 tv's and monitors a long time ago. Even phones are not 4:3.

Shooting in 4:3 wastes screen space. It looks amateurish on every device but print. Yes you can crop later but thats a drag and its cumbersome to take the crop into account when shooting.

People just show pictures on their phone or screen share on tv. Or upload to a laptop or desktop. Neither device is 4:3. If you like to watch black bars or cutting your images, sure shoot 4:3. If you shoot to display them on a digital device then the first thing you do is shoot 16:9 exclusively.

edmun

Jan 3, 2007
Birmingham
you have to finally decide if you are thinking about photography (then it will be 4:3) or if you want be just a casual picture shooter with the phone (16:9).

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
While that may be how the cameras are designed, most screens are 16:9 ratio. Phone cameras aren't designed for award winning photos just point & shoot. Looking at 4:3 images on a 16:9 screen just wastes display real estate...

Then just crop the image, with the frame you want, 9/10 you won't be shooting an exact image of what would be deemed a final product you would edit and change to the exact image to some degree.

If it's just for scrolling through on a phone? Then it's up to yourself, you'll find that 4:3 is the preferred method 16:9 is for video predominantly.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

I'm the dad l lol
    I also don't want to end up having to edit every photo to widescreen ratio, not the hundreds of photos I take

Okay so Open Camera gives same options as FV-5 BUT Camera MX offers 7296x4104 so 30mp

View attachment 4472311

thank you for sorting out the Camera MX app, I have (or had) the same issue with the low res 16:9 settings on the p20 pro.
    And i'm also not a photographer, but the only screens i'l use to look at my photo's will be 16:9 led-screens not 3:4 paper...
    We've left the the 4:3 ratio on our TV's didn't we? :)