• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

camera lag s21

Search This thread

cookie666

Feb 13, 2011
I just received my shiny S21, so far Have adjusted ok from the s10. However, I'm having alot of lag when using the camera, press the button then 5-10 seconds later the thumbnail appears. Slo-motion video stutters and is not smooth on replay! Quite a different experience from the s10 that was flawless!

Any suggestions? I've cleared data/cache for the camera app and no change.

cookie666

Feb 13, 2011
Im on AUA4 (Australia) dated 20/1/21, no doubt they will resolve it, bit frustrating but apart from that I'm really liking the experience!

StNickZA

Dec 1, 2009
Auckland
I have the Snapdragon S10. I always shoot video in 4k30 HDR10+ and the results are superb. So when I bought my wife the S21 (Exynos), I immediately set her camera to the same video mode. Unfortunately, it is virtually unusable in this mode. Camera interface drops to 10 frames per second, takes a while to start, and seems to record for a good 5 seconds or so after pressing stop. The latest update specified "Camera performance improvements" but seemed to make no difference. Very disappointed and I hope this is fixed in a future update! Worried this is an Exynos-only problem.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Try clearing cam data.
Clear system cache.
Try a hard reboot (not reset!)
If cam has been update go back to factory load.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I personally don't like that it's not near instant when taking pictures. Expected better.

Even the best pro cams have shutter lag.
To get that kind of fast fluidity you pay big bucks; the cost of a couple of these smart phones.
All the phones including the 10+ are slow compared to my pro cam from 11 years ago.
AF lock on times though may have been similar because of the mass of the optics the lens micromotors had to move. The AF was a lot better though as were the controls. That's close to $10G of cam/lense though.

Is the already AF locked on before you hit the release?
Acquiring an AF lock takes the longest amount of time generally. Using target tracking (yellow brackets) can help reduce the time.
Considering the size of these cams they do quit well. You need to work within any cam's limitations regardless and view the world as it does.

endrju_pl

Jan 6, 2008
My Exynos S20+ 5G also has this problem too. Interface is laggy, and there is almost impossible to record fluid slow motion video. I have the impression that it is even worse after the last update than before.

SiNJiN76

Sep 14, 2009
Even the best pro cams have shutter lag.
To get that kind of fast fluidity you pay big bucks; the cost of a couple of these smart phones.
All the phones including the 10+ are slow compared to my pro cam from 11 years ago.
AF lock on times though may have been similar because of the mass of the optics the lens micromotors had to move. The AF was a lot better though as were the controls. That's close to $10G of cam/lense though.

Is the already AF locked on before you hit the release?
Acquiring an AF lock takes the longest amount of time generally. Using target tracking (yellow brackets) can help reduce the time.
Considering the size of these cams they do quit well. You need to work within any cam's limitations regardless and view the world as it does.
Nah. The latest update addressed this issue. Near instant snaps. This isn't my first phone with a camera.

Superrman

Apr 10, 2013
I just received my shiny S21, so far Have adjusted ok from the s10. However, I'm having alot of lag when using the camera, press the button then 5-10 seconds later the thumbnail appears. Slo-motion video stutters and is not smooth on replay! Quite a different experience from the s10 that was flawless!

Any suggestions? I've cleared data/cache for the camera app and no change.
Got the same problem latest update maybe its exnyos thing?

kicikk

Mar 7, 2012
Szczecin
All of the recent updates (incl. June update) contain fixes for camera. And it seems to indeed help, however, only for few hours after update. After few hours the lag comes back...