Camera lens cover gers scratched easily?

Search This thread

cy88

Nov 14, 2010
Hi all,

I am wondering if any of you have issue with M8's being scratched too easily? Not deep scratch but hairline on it.

I already have a few lines on mine, which doesn't impact the mage quality but it hurts to see them around. One of my friend also starts to see lines on the lens as well.

Cheers!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Arthur Hucksake

Mar 8, 2010
Nottingham
Yeah I have a couple. If it starts to mess with image quality I will be annoyed considering its not something I can replace on this phone.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

cy88

Nov 14, 2010
Looks like it's easier to replace the backplate compare to M7 should we need to. However I am annoyed by a fact that a few days old phone will get the coating wear out so easily!!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Legobricke

Aug 10, 2010
Jupiter
I also have this issue....

Plastic lens cover is scratched... Been in case since day one....

Hope it doesn't start to effect my quality of photos....

Anyone try to get HTC to fix or replace?

2Nice4U

Aug 27, 2010
Rosenheim
This is a picture of my lens after only 6 weeks in use.
The taken pictures are so blurry :(

Ozi9Pqx44_kBir5djXJvUjqAap_N2tefcaboq3Rr5FQ

nuts77

Dec 15, 2011
no scratch yet after 2 days - but whan I look back on my M7 I bought one year ago, there are plenty of little scratches. Not big enough to alter image q, but just to catch up the eye. So this time I put a small piece of screen protector I cut out from an old one. Seems perfect.

runandhide05

Apr 3, 2011
Mine was horrible and effected the pictures really bad.
I used a buffer attachment on my drill and it too our all of the scratches.
Before using the buffer
uploadfromtaptalk1400640467156.jpg
After buffing
uploadfromtaptalk1400640500000.jpg
Buffer attachment
uploadfromtaptalk1400640532114.jpg

Cleaned then lens very well with rubbing alcohol then buffed for maybe 2-3 seconds cleaned again with rubbing alcohol and all scratches and scuffs were gone
sent from:)::§:::)

zimilaci

Jun 3, 2013
somewhere in Germany
I still have some scratches, not noticable on the pictures -or maybe I am too dumb to notice - but still Alcohol+qtip did not help...

so I just wait till it gets worse... thank god I have 2 years of insurance for any scratches/damages I will not use that just now. :)

Legobricke

Aug 10, 2010
Jupiter
I recommend the alcohol/q-tip method as it worked perfectly for me. I did have to use my fingernail to scrape the coating off.. After that, I used the alcohol and a papertowel to remove the rest.. Lens looks new... Then cut a lens cover from an extra screen protector I had...

Sent from my HTC One (M8).

tilove17

Jun 22, 2007
HTC Guaranteed Free Repair

I had this exact problem! Here is my story of how I received a free repair from HTC:

I emailed HTC’s USA President, Jason Mackenzie, directly with my complaint. (I did this over Memorial Day weekend.) I explained my past experience with the M7—which was excellent-- and suggested that the M8 is somehow defective.

Jason responded within hours and indicated that someone would contact me on Tuesday. On Tuesday, I was called on both my cell and work phone, and I received an email! When I got back with HTC, they offered to provide an overnight shipping label (both to and from HTC) and they also GUARANTEED that my phone would be repaired FREE OF CHARGE.

Jason Mackenzie’s email address is: [email protected]

***In full disclosure, I emailed Jason from my work email address—I am an attorney. Notwithstanding, I think all affected M8 customers should receive this same remedy—and probably a free case to compensate for going without your phone during the repair. Anyway, give it a shot!

Reactions: bit1

reamglobe

Apr 22, 2014
Lens fix...

They seem like scratches but really aren't.
I thought the same thing as well...It is actually a coating that flakes off.
What I did was spray a little bit of plastic cleaner on a microfiber cloth and rubbed vigorously and came out perfect as new.
The cleaner can be found on Amazon...It is called Plexus and works wonders and is non abrasive.

Reactions: onukomer

Dragonswithin

Feb 3, 2011
San Diego, CA
What I did was spray a little bit of plastic cleaner on a microfiber cloth and rubbed vigorously and came out perfect as new.
The cleaner can be found on Amazon...It is called Plexus and works wonders and is non abrasive.

I agree that it is just some kinda coating that is coming off as mine has just about fully cleared up. You can still see it very clearly on the depth sensor and I'm looking into ways of cleaning it off. My question is if it is a coating on the camera what is that coating for and will removing it change the way my camera works?

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Metal polish and soft cloth/Q-tip, bit of rubbing, gone in seconds.;)

reamglobe

Apr 22, 2014
Camera

I agree that it is just some kinda coating that is coming off as mine has just about fully cleared up. You can still see it very clearly on the depth sensor and I'm looking into ways of cleaning it off. My question is if it is a coating on the camera what is that coating for and will removing it change the way my camera works?

I don't think it affects pic quality...I don't know if it is a film left over from the man. process or a reflective coating. My pictures look just as good but w/o the anxiety of thinking I had a scratched lens. Just don't use a polish with ANY kind of grit in it.

jpbl1976

I have scratches on mine too but since it's just a coating, I'm leaving it in place since it hasn't affected my pic quality at all. I just think of it as a screen protector doing its job.

I had an XPeria Z1 and it also had an oleophobic coating that you could peel off with some effort (there are Youtube videos showing how). I wonder if this is the same thing?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yeah it does. I cut out a lense cover from a tpu screen protector I had lying around.
    HTC Guaranteed Free Repair

I had this exact problem! Here is my story of how I received a free repair from HTC:

I emailed HTC’s USA President, Jason Mackenzie, directly with my complaint. (I did this over Memorial Day weekend.) I explained my past experience with the M7—which was excellent-- and suggested that the M8 is somehow defective.

Jason responded within hours and indicated that someone would contact me on Tuesday. On Tuesday, I was called on both my cell and work phone, and I received an email! When I got back with HTC, they offered to provide an overnight shipping label (both to and from HTC) and they also GUARANTEED that my phone would be repaired FREE OF CHARGE.

Jason Mackenzie’s email address is: [email protected]

***In full disclosure, I emailed Jason from my work email address—I am an attorney. Notwithstanding, I think all affected M8 customers should receive this same remedy—and probably a free case to compensate for going without your phone during the repair. Anyway, give it a shot!
    Lens fix...

You guys need to read more carefully. There is a protective coating on the lens that must be removed to clean up your photo quality. Then cut a small piece of screen protector to cover it if you're worried.

Read back, use Google, most recommend rubbing alcohol and a q-tip.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk