• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Camera not working anymore. Error "Unknown error occurred" pops up.

Search This thread

nex7er

Feb 3, 2008
Bergen
Hello.

The camera on my i9300 seems to have stopped working. It's been functioning fine on Wanamlite BLG8, but suddenly it stopped working. The front-facing camera works just fine, but not the back. I tried going back to stock, unrooted rom but it's still giving me that error.

What can I do?

nex7er

Feb 3, 2008
Bergen
I've tried doing that, switching out SamsungCamera.apk, and as I said, returning to stock, unrooted BLG8 rom. Right now I'm downloading the latest nordic version to try and flash to that.

It all just happened so randomly. o.o

nex7er

Feb 3, 2008
Bergen
Here's a logcat. Cleared it right before I hit the camera icon, let it crash, hit the Ok button and then saved the logcat.

http://pastebin.com/weMJ6vJv

E/SecCameraHardware( 1914): FimcV4l2 poll: error 0

E/SecCameraHardware( 1914): nativeGetPreview: no Camera device connected!

I/ShotSingle( 1914): notifyCallback(1)

I/ShotSingle( 1914): processNotifyCallback(1)

E/ISecCameraHardware( 1914): previewThread: error, nativeGetPreview

V/SecCamera-JNI-Cpp(10503): notify msgType[1]

E/SecCamera-JNI-Java(10503): Error -1

E/CameraEngine(10503): ErrorCallback.onError (-1)

E/AbstractCameraActivity(10503): finishOnError [Error type: -5]

Last edited:

TheRec

Aug 11, 2012
Hello,

My Samsung Galaxy S III (GT-I9300) has exactly the same symptoms you described. Have you by any chance found a solution to the problem?
After countless tries to fix it I think I will have to ask for a RMA to my reseller, but before doing this I'm curious to know if/how you fixed your issue.

Fire69

Mar 11, 2005
I have the same problem. First I had pink artifacts all over the screen (not sure if it was on the photo also) but now I just get 'Unknown error'...

tulpje2012

Aug 11, 2012
Rotterdam
I am having exactly the same problem with my phone,samsung galaxy s2.

I bought my phone at tmobile 3 weeks ago and the camera worked fine for a week. Last week I was able to make a couple of pictures but then I got the same error again or a freezing image with white stripes and dots.

Since last weekend I only get the error by error error callback.

I wrote to Samsung but all they told me is to do a factory reset,which I did a lot of times,or bring it in for repair.

TheRec

Aug 11, 2012
Well I went to the shop and explained the problem. Later that day they made a RMA. I should get a new unit within the next week (they were short on stock so they had to order it). The shop's technical department could not fix it (well I was pretty sure they wouldn't be able to as they would certainly not do anything more than I did while it's still under warranty).

So I guess if anyone else encounter this issue, they can pretty much ask for a replacement straight away... if your unit is still under warranty. I hope this follow-up will help other people who finds themselves in this situation.