Question Camera performance

Anima14

Feb 13, 2021
Vienna
What resolution/mode are people finding best for general point and shoot? Auto or 3:4 (if so, with or without 108MP)?

Also, hoping for a bit of advice on the best ratio and mode to use in the following scenarios:

- Under artificial light indoors
- In low light
- Capturing movement without it being one big blurry mess (I tried taking a few of my dogs whilst they were running in the park and couldn't get any focus or features at all)
For capturing motion activate the button where the arrow on the picture points to.Do not know the English name of this function.It is for movement and should help.IMG_20210223_075401.jpg

oae08

Nov 5, 2012
Beirut
Does UW work in filmic?
What is UW is it Ultra Wide lens? and what is filmic? is it an app?

Lens flare is normal on any cameras. If there's a bright light being emited it reflects on the lens. The reason you're not seeing it on other mobile phones is because the AI removes it realtime. So yes, it can be removed by software.
But in S21U it does not remove it in realtime or even post processing. I noticed if I use the cam on night mode, i get better post processing but it seems auto mode there is no processing to remove these flares.

Clean the lense 3x in a raw with separate tissue, super clean one, check under direct light/angle even super small amount of dirt can make that issue.

Low light was least improved, check my post on the previous pages to see where the improvements are. The only low light improvement is in non night mode.
I clean the lens and tried many many times. trust me i even compared with the iphone 11 and this phone has worse night photos than 1 year old iphone. im really disappointed that samsung doesnt want to fix the night/low light photos on this device.

Anima14

Feb 13, 2021
Vienna
What is UW is it Ultra Wide lens? and what is filmic? is it an app?

But in S21U it does not remove it in realtime or even post processing. I noticed if I use the cam on night mode, i get better post processing but it seems auto mode there is no processing to remove these flares.

I clean the lens and tried many many times. trust me i even compared with the iphone 11 and this phone has worse night photos than 1 year old iphone. im really disappointed that samsung doesnt want to fix the night/low light photos on this device.
Filmic Pro is an app, which does basically the same as Video Pro mode (and some things more) It can be used with the Ultrawide and Wide lens...but not with 3x,10x.And it works with the two selfie cam modes.

iamnotkurtcobain

Oct 30, 2010
Vienna
I think the camera hardware is great. But Samsung has to fix the battery usage while taking pics and videos. It's horrible. Took 2 pics and lost 1% battery. Wtf. Shot a 50 second video and lost 2% battey. This on a 5000 mAh phone....

Reactions: Anima14

lawtq

Oct 12, 2011
I think the camera hardware is great. But Samsung has to fix the battery usage while taking pics and videos. It's horrible. Took 2 pics and lost 1% battery. Wtf. Shot a 50 second video and lost 2% battey. This on a 5000 mAh phone....
I give up on Samsung being able to create good camera software. After experiencing what iPhone can do with their videos and what huawei do with their pics, Samsung are like beginners, but that hardware is amazing. It's almost funny

I'm glad others are experiencing good pics with the latest update but I really can't see a difference whatsoever! The snapdragon one is a bit better but that's going back as well

Reactions: Remote control

lywyn

Jul 19, 2010
I switched from Pixel range to this phone for the cameras. I've tried various shots and zooms and so it has not impressed me as much as I was hoping it would. A couple of x2-x3 zoom shots on S21 (Exonsys) versus my old Pixel 4 XL and the pixel looks so much sharper and better. After watching quite a few videos on how could this camera was I'm wondering what is wrong with the phone.

lawtq

Oct 12, 2011
I switched from Pixel range to this phone for the cameras. I've tried various shots and zooms and so it has not impressed me as much as I was hoping it would. A couple of x2-x3 zoom shots on S21 (Exonsys) versus my old Pixel 4 XL and the pixel looks so much sharper and better. After watching quite a few videos on how could this camera was I'm wondering what is wrong with the phone.
Those youtubers are suspect. I'm trusting them less and less

Batfink33

Apr 8, 2013
Never ever trust YouTube influencer videos. I've learnt that the hard way with phones over the years.

joancolmenares

Jun 14, 2008
Bogota, Colombia
Most Youtubers get paid for promoting products and favor certain products over others. I never go with YouTube for reviews as they are biased. I prefer at least 5 different sources (gsmarena, tomshardware, cnet, etc) and then draw my conclusions.

beserker15

Sep 21, 2009
I give up on Samsung being able to create good camera software. After experiencing what iPhone can do with their videos and what huawei do with their pics, Samsung are like beginners, but that hardware is amazing. It's almost funny

I'm glad others are experiencing good pics with the latest update but I really can't see a difference whatsoever! The snapdragon one is a bit better but that's going back as well
Do you have comparison pics of the Huawei? While I do favor Google's style of image processing, I don't think Huawei is any better than Samsung in the photos I've seen. Most comparison photos show the two (S21 Ultra and P40 Pro Plus) going back and forth in various scenes.

Anima14

Feb 13, 2021
Vienna
When its good its brilliant, when its bad its awful.Today I got this "flare" problem.Seems to happen when it does not switch to the 3x.Had to try to convince it several times to give me the 3x output, not the crop.First two pics.Same happened to the 10x.I mean it was a really difficult one, but this happens sometimes, even in brighter situation.Anyone had this too?20210223_182647.jpg20210223_182625.jpg20210223_182608.jpg20210223_182825.jpg

Reactions: dazed1

Gzoom82

Feb 12, 2021
im really disappointed that samsung doesnt want to fix the night/low light photos on this device.
I presume you are not using night mode? The main sensor without night mode is pretty bad in the dark as you would expect, but with night mode on its pretty good. This was taken in near darkness, hand held, without a tripod even a DSLR struggle to get better results when viewing at night mode. You can even see Bokeh of the lens at night, which is kind of crazy!

Reactions: hthiengo and dazed1