Question Camera performance

oae08

Nov 5, 2012
Beirut
I presume you are not using night mode? The main sensor without night mode is pretty bad in the dark as you would expect, but with night mode on its pretty good. This was taken in near darkness, hand held, without a tripod even a DSLR struggle to get better results when viewing at night mode. You can even see Bokeh of the lens at night, which is kind of crazy!

I tried both modes, but my main problem is not in such situations. But like 2 posts above, when there are street lights for example, the flare is so bas even if im not putting the light in the frame, but the flare still is showing in the photo

Gzoom82

Feb 12, 2021
I tried both modes, but my main problem is not in such situations. But like 2 posts above, when there are street lights for example, the flare is so bas even if im not putting the light in the frame, but the flare still is showing in the photo
You mean like this on the iPhone 12 pro, sadly appears to be a smart phone issue overall :(

Last edited:

dazed1

Jul 24, 2013
I switched from Pixel range to this phone for the cameras. I've tried various shots and zooms and so it has not impressed me as much as I was hoping it would. A couple of x2-x3 zoom shots on S21 (Exonsys) versus my old Pixel 4 XL and the pixel looks so much sharper and better. After watching quite a few videos on how could this camera was I'm wondering what is wrong with the phone.
2x = digital zoom
3x = not far enough to make big differene
10x = slaugther

peterg21

Dec 9, 2011
no, thats what samsung over processing does.
Precisely. The antecedent of all of this is with televisions and "sharpness" controls. A properly calibrated television, depending on the model, will have the "sharpness" control set to the point where there are no edge lines (if that is possible - with some you cannot completely defeat it). With several models that may be to set it to zero. All this is a practice by manufacturers to artificially enhance the edges which actually reduces the detail.

Reactions: Anima14

Arsenic1234

Jan 21, 2009
People were talking about pets.
I think it comes out fine and not blurry.
But maybe my expectations are low.
I like the phone and with the promo price happy with it. Maybe at full price I would be more critical.

Attachments

tobias14

Feb 15, 2009
Koper
The over processing on the second one in the stone wall is really bad.Greys and browns seem to be a problem for the soft ware.In the other pictures there is so much detail in the trees.I do not understand it.😒
Yes, camera can be hit or miss. Generally I'm quite satisfied with results, but not too much impressed in its current state (coming from Oppo Find X2 Pro, which produced really good photos).

Last edited:

s3axel

Mar 4, 2013
I'm playing around with my new S21U Exynos since a few days, of course with special attention to the camera.

For me it is really a mixed bag and somewhat inconsistent, giving great shots here and ruining other ones there :oops:

As already stated I think processing is the culprit here, from my experience specifically in difficult scenes with high dynamic range in the picture.

I did some comparisons with my Mi 10 Ultra and so far must say I am overall pretty happy with the S2U performance, specifically dark fur seems to be better on the S21U .... See some images showcasing the differences, in the "sky"-images you can clearly see the effects of the Samsung overprocessing....

A shame Gcam presently is not able to support the Zoom-lenses due to some Samsung-specifica in handling the cameras :(

Attachments

Reactions: dazed1 and tobias14

Gzoom82

Feb 12, 2021
See the ghost lines along the edge of the building? I get a lot of this in my shots. Even things like dogs and birds have this ghosted edge.
I think Samsung pretty obviously made a decision on how to process these images base on overall look versus croping at 100%

This is on of the pictures I have printed onto a largeish canvas at home, its 1.2 meter in width and when viewed at a normal distance of 2-3 meter it looks absolutely fine.

This is the original source image taken with a Canon DSLR, at 100% crop you can see all the imperfections in the photo - the flower isn't actually in focus, but when printed it actually doesn't matter. So unless you are entering photo competitions I think the balance between image appearance on screen/print versus details at 100% crop are pretty well judged on the S21 U.

Reactions: dazed1 and Anima14
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone