Question Camera performance

Search This thread

beserker15

Sep 21, 2009
- Again, with same settings as above and if you tap to focus an area, S21U blurs everything else out but Note 20U still keeps other items in the picture in focus(which I prefer since I am not selecting portrait mode for Bokeh effect). So in short S21U has aggressive targeted area focus logic which explains many people saying S21U photos look blurry. Samsung needs to provide a toggle or a slider to choose focus aggressiveness on S21U

Do you happen to have both phones now? If so, can you check the exif to see if they're both using the main camera? Both have the same sensor size and aperture. Logically speaking, when focused on the same spot, should create the same or very similar focal plane. On my S21U, if I have focus enhancer on, for closer objects it will switch to the ultra wide and crop in to get a wider focal plane. Curious if this is what your Note is doing.

dazed1

Jul 24, 2013
Can you guys post night mode/low light pics with march Snapdragon update? also post the build/firmware version? thanks.

@pafc66 and others that have this update. Try to recreate some before and after low ligt/night mode shots?

ALSO, it should be known by now, that Samsung phones works best if you tap to focus before taking the shot, and don't forget to keep steady even during daylight.

kipue

Sep 3, 2009
Hong Kong
Can you guys post night mode/low light pics with march Snapdragon update? also post the build/firmware version? thanks.

@pafc66 and others that have this update. Try to recreate some before and after low ligt/night mode shots?

ALSO, it should be known by now, that Samsung phones works best if you tap to focus before taking the shot, and don't forget to keep steady even during daylight.
I tried the other day in challenging conditions, night+street lights+heavy rain.
What I noticed mostly is the inconsistency of the auto mode.
As you can see, the auto named pictures are not consistent.
The ones called "pro" are where I took the time to change the settings by hand. They are darker than real life but I like them better.

Latest ver for SD888

Attachments

• auto2.jpg
    auto2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 129
  • pro.jpg
    pro.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 128
  • pro2.jpg
    pro2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 124
  • auto1b.jpg
    auto1b.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 118
  • auto3b.jpg
    auto3b.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 118
Last edited:

VICosPhi

Aug 2, 2010
Phoenix
Do you happen to have both phones now? If so, can you check the exif to see if they're both using the main camera? Both have the same sensor size and aperture. Logically speaking, when focused on the same spot, should create the same or very similar focal plane. On my S21U, if I have focus enhancer on, for closer objects it will switch to the ultra wide and crop in to get a wider focal plane. Curious if this is what your Note is doing.

Yes I still have both and using Note20U as primary phone due to camera focus being sharper for overall image and it being 20 grams lighter (built-in S-pen is nice to have as well)

Sorry should have mentioned that I tested with main camera and verified in EXIF data as well. I think either the new sensor Samsung used in S21U causes this overblown Bokeh or it is a software thing in S21U.

Focus enhancer was turned on during macro shots testing as that feature is only available on S21U and Note20U does not have a focus enhancer.

beserker15

Sep 21, 2009
Yes I still have both and using Note20U as primary phone due to camera focus being sharper for overall image and it being 20 grams lighter (built-in S-pen is nice to have as well)

Sorry should have mentioned that I tested with main camera and verified in EXIF data as well. I think either the new sensor Samsung used in S21U causes this overblown Bokeh or it is a software thing in S21U.

Focus enhancer was turned on during macro shots testing as that feature is only available on S21U and Note20U does not have a focus enhancer.

Could you post comparison pics of the photos focused on the same spot? I had the S20 Ultra which also has a similar sensor and I didn't really notice a difference. Though I only had them side by side for less than a week before I sold it my S20U lol.

dazed1

Jul 24, 2013
I tried the other day in challenging conditions, night+street lights+heavy rain.
The ones called "pro" are where I took the time to change the settings by hand. They are darker than real life but I like them better.

Latest ver for SD888

Definitely the pro pics are quite better did you used pro mode, or just dropped the exposure?

Gzoom82

Feb 12, 2021

Day to day usage I see very little difference between my wifes Note 20 U and my S21 U.

The bokeh effect on the S21 U is amazing though, close up its real bokeh not fake, and I personally love it. For photography bokeh is the main difference between a £50 lens and £500
0 lens.

HOWEVER the AF on the S21U back focuses ALOT. For some reason it will consistently miss the focus on where you tap the screen in some situations. Manual focus delivers much better results but than you loss HDR with I love on this camera.

Samsung need to relase some software to allow for manual overide in auto mode - so essentially a 'P' mode that is found on all half decent cameras.

I've found the software implementation of fake bokeh to be identical on both phones. They are both very good, and unless pixel peeping will pass for images from a real f 1.8 stop zoom lens.

I do agree on weight and design of the Note 20 U been nicer + S pen. For my next phone upgrade I think I'll get the Note rather than the S series if Samsung keeps the Note going.

Reactions: eldrid and VICosPhi

kipue

Sep 3, 2009
Hong Kong
Definitely the pro pics are quite better did you used pro mode, or just dropped the exposure?
I don't recall exactly but yes, I mostly played with exposure, shutter speed and a bit of white balance to make it match better to real life.
I suppose I could have done better, but I was fighting with my umbrella at the same time, haha

• Haha
Reactions: Anima14 and dazed1

Sep 19, 2016
I'd wish Samsung would offer options to turn off their cheap unsharp mask and denoising. The overall performance of their sensors are pretty good, why would you force people to have a photo style you prefer? Let people decide how to alter the sensor results. I know, RAW hasn't that post processing. However, denoising is still noticable and also cheap compared to professional denoising filters.

Gcam had shown us in the past Galaxy generations that the sensor can so so much more.

Last edited:

zjhao

Jan 4, 2019
I'd wish Samsung would offer options to turn of their cheap unsharp mask and denoising. The overall performance of their sensors are pretty good, why would you force people to have a photo style you prefer? Let people decide how to alter the sensor results. I know, RAW hasn't that post processing. However, denoising is still noticable and also cheap compared to professional denoising filters.

Gcam had shown us in the past Galaxy generations that the sensor can so so much more.

The one that meets your requirements is the Google Pixel model. Obviously you are not Samsung’s main customer base.

Reactions: Remote control

UNIK97122

Apr 10, 2020
Meaux
The one that meets your requirements is the Google Pixel model. Obviously you are not Samsung’s main customer base.
I'd wish Samsung would offer options to turn of their cheap unsharp mask and denoising. The overall performance of their sensors are pretty good, why would you force people to have a photo style you prefer? Let people decide how to alter the sensor results. I know, RAW hasn't that post processing. However, denoising is still noticable and also cheap compared to professional denoising filters.

the problem is not only samsung but especially android, because google prevents the constructor from accessing the source kernel which allows to fully exploit the photo and video material because if google does this the pixel range is no longer of any interest because they are not at the hardware level

Reactions: 80s Baby

Sep 19, 2016

I mentioned Gcam only to get a comparison with a good camera app which handles the sensor output differently. I am a Samsung user since Note 1.

Anima14

Feb 13, 2021
Vienna

Latest ver for SD888
I noticed the same.Doing it's "magic" as it pleases.The pro mode on your closer shot looks so much crispier, but the detail of the tree gets lost, which the automatic mode renders quite well. What is really annoying, that in low light it does not always take the 10x or 3x you choose,but you do not see it instantly, as there is no indicator what lens you are on..And what I noticed:do not try to "adjust" the image detail after getting to shoot with the the 3x or 10x, cause it will jump to the zoom lens, without indication.Nice pics!

Reactions: kipue

kipue

Sep 3, 2009
Hong Kong
I noticed the same.Doing it's "magic" as it pleases.The pro mode on your closer shot looks so much crispier, but the detail of the tree gets lost, which the automatic mode renders quite well. What is really annoying, that in low light it does not always take the 10x or 3x you choose,but you do not see it instantly, as there is no indicator what lens you are on..And what I noticed:do not try to "adjust" the image detail after getting to shoot with the the 3x or 10x, cause it will jump to the zoom lens, without indication.Nice pics!
I noticed that yes.
Makes me think that like many say here, software updates will probably help a lot.

Reactions: Anima14

Gzoom82

Feb 12, 2021
So I found something 'portrait' mode struggled with, not a bad attempt but clearly bike wasn't in the Samsung AI brief, so close but not quite around the wheels and spoke at the rear wheel. So so close to achieving the same effect as a DSLR with f 1.8 lens:)

50989503517_d45922093a_k_d.jpg

This is reason why you need Bokeh, sharpness means little if you cannot separate the subject from the background :(.

50989502772_a82a06eaf0_k_d.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: dazed1

VICosPhi

Aug 2, 2010
Phoenix
Could you post comparison pics of the photos focused on the same spot? I had the S20 Ultra which also has a similar sensor and I didn't really notice a difference. Though I only had them side by side for less than a week before I sold it my S20U lol.

Sure, here you go. The one that autofocuses on the water bottle(which is what should happen imo) is Note20U, and one that focuses on the wall is S21U

Day to day usage I see very little difference between my wifes Note 20 U and my S21 U.

The bokeh effect on the S21 U is amazing though, close up its real bokeh not fake, and I personally love it. For photography bokeh is the main difference between a £50 lens and £500
0 lens.

HOWEVER the AF on the S21U back focuses ALOT. For some reason it will consistently miss the focus on where you tap the screen in some situations. Manual focus delivers much better results but than you loss HDR with I love on this camera.

Samsung need to relase some software to allow for manual overide in auto mode - so essentially a 'P' mode that is found on all half decent cameras.

I've found the software implementation of fake bokeh to be identical on both phones. They are both very good, and unless pixel peeping will pass for images from a real f 1.8 stop zoom lens.

I do agree on weight and design of the Note 20 U been nicer + S pen. For my next phone upgrade I think I'll get the Note rather than the S series if Samsung keeps the Note going.

Yeah hopefully Samsung continues making Note series. The added screen real estate makes a huge difference as well. Bokeh is great on both phones, S21U maybe slightly better but I just wish that they give some manual control in auto mode to control the Bokeh intensity.

Attachments

• N20U Auto with scene enhancer.jpg
    N20U Auto with scene enhancer.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • S21U Auto with scene enhancer.jpg
    S21U Auto with scene enhancer.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
Reactions: F118 and peterg21

UNIK97122

Apr 10, 2020
Meaux
Sure, here you go. The one that autofocuses on the water bottle(which is what should happen imo) is Note20U, and one that focuses on the wall is S21U

Yeah hopefully Samsung continues making Note series. The added screen real estate makes a huge difference as well. Bokeh is great on both phones, S21U maybe slightly better but I just wish that they give some manual control in auto mode to control the Bokeh intensity.
you know that you can manually change the focus point in post ???

Top Liked Posts

Had my Ultra a couple of days now. Really is great to have this camera with me all the time.

Where we live there's a Heron who turns up at the pond occasionally, I've never got my camera on me to get a photo, until now! How a phone camera can get moon shots like this is impressive too. An Osprey aircraft flew over, which I've never seen either.
    Had my Ultra a couple of days now. Really is great to have this camera with me all the time.

Where we live there's a Heron who turns up at the pond occasionally, I've never got my camera on me to get a photo, until now! How a phone camera can get moon shots like this is impressive too. An Osprey aircraft flew over, which I've never seen either.
    Great pictures, but it would be nice and useful if you add the parameters you used (which camera type , format, zoom etc).
    Portrait mode with zoom
    Exynos version
    x10 zoom
    I took this the other day, after we had a visitor to our garden.
    Taken at x10 zoom through glass.
    Random photo I made today: my cat indoor using portrait 3x mode. Exynos on april update. I'm no photo expert but I'm quite impressed with the detail :).
    Now a much better macro pic of my eye. There was a bright light source in front of me, so I had to take exposure down, improve details, etc in snapseed. Anyway, awesome details. Macro camera is amazing!

20210419_033410-02.jpeg

My city (main camera, snapseed edit)

20210411_174042-01.jpeg

My dog. Night shot, B&W. I love it!

20210410_000135-02.jpeg

10x pic. No edits.

20210420_161931.jpg

10x, no edits

20210419_172711.jpg

3x, no edits

20210418_063030.jpg

Again sunset, 10x, unedited

20210411_173838.jpg

Night shot, unedited

20210415_181842.jpg

Night shot, unedited

20210414_175855.jpg

Auto, unedited

20210412_181107.jpg

Ultrawide, auto, no edits

20210410_151817.jpg

10x, no edits

20210410_151738.jpg

Night mode, no edits

20210406_193136.jpg

30x, no edits, sunset time

20210406_173439.jpg
    Amazing pics! I love this camera.
    I'm not a photographer, but I love taking pics.
    There are lots of flowers where I live, so I'm lucky. I'll post some more later.

20210328_074340.jpg

20210327_082712~2.jpg

20210327_174750.jpg

20210324_165149.jpg

20210324_155505.jpg

20210329_060215.jpg

20210329_180515.jpg

20210330_114954.jpg

20210403_120150.jpg

20210403_120512.jpg

20210403_120112.jpg
    Foggy yesterday morning. Full auto, exynos, last firmware AUB9.
    BTW. First photo little postproduced in lightroom mobile. Added vignette, more vibrant and punched whites and shadows, just all, the rest is stock.
    Exynos version
    x10 zoom
    I don't play with post processing much these days, but AD Photoshop/LR on the mobile is surprisingly good, this is going to be printed to acrylic plate at somepoint.

51020901102_33a0501883_c_d.jpg

The dynamic range of the S21U really is quite something, even jpgs allows for post processing to the exact temperature 'look' you want.

The depth and general tone of pictures the S21 U is able to capture really did use to be only possible on 'proper' camera systems, even the x10 lens produces half decent efforts in post.

Add in the fact the entire work flow is possible on the phone, so no peeking on the back of a LCD camera screen, no faff with uploading to a laptop, no LR library to manage, no need to worry about backup due to the cloud, am pretty sure I can also send these file direct to Photobox/Snapfish or similar for large format printing all from the phone.......

From a purely a photography point of view, the S21 U is outstanding, there is no other way to put it.

51021828997_a7e329471a_k_d.jpg

51021812027_3bac9d6874_k_d.jpg

51020982978_7ba585f369_k_d.jpg

51020901222_aeadd15545_k_d.jpg
    I'm loving this camera now
    S21 Ultra with March update AUB7 (Snapdragon)
    I took this the other day, after we had a visitor to our garden.
    Taken at x10 zoom through glass.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone