Question Camera performance

Search This thread

gnulio56

Mar 2, 2021
You cannot complain about something than not back it up with examples.

Show me some examples of good photos taken with another smartphone to back up your claims the S21 U is a bad camera system.

Am not talking about pictures of a sofa, but actual good photos you have taken with a better smart phone camera system. Talk is cheap, so follow up with real action please.
It's not a competition, relax. I own the same phone as you and I find it excellent from all points of view. However, if you don't see certain defects in the photos, I can't help you. If you want to see what a similar sensor can do with a gcam, I'll post you another link. With good software this phone allows you to leave a compact camera at home so i want it.

what is possible to do with a Samsung ISOCELL HM2: gallery

What are the problems with Samsung stock app and ISOCELL HM3 :
2AB_ssIw.jpg
Screenshot 2021-03-08 00.05.00.jpg
Screenshot 2021-03-08 00.08.48.jpg
Screenshot 2021-03-08 00.10.52.jpg

Al the crops are made at 100% zoom in PS

pafc66

Oct 13, 2014
It's not about my work... It's about the difference between decent and very good. In all of your pictures, if you zoom a Little bit you can see agressive oversharpening and a lot of noise and aliasing. I've got the same problems with my s21 ultra. I Hope Samsung Will fix it
Lol nobody zooms in that much. You'll see the same results with any smartphone.

• Angry
Reactions: Remote control

pafc66

Oct 13, 2014
It's not a competition, relax. I own the same phone as you and I find it excellent from all points of view. However, if you don't see certain defects in the photos, I can't help you. If you want to see what a similar sensor can do with a gcam, I'll post you another link. With good software this phone allows you to leave a compact camera at home so i want it.

what is possible to do with a Samsung ISOCELL HM2: gallery

What are the problems with Samsung stock app and ISOCELL HM3 :
View attachment 5243107View attachment 5243109View attachment 5243111View attachment 5243113

Al the crops are made at 100% zoom in PS
They're all raw shots from the Xiaomi as well as the use of gcam? Irrelevant

Maddmatt

Aug 10, 2010
Lol nobody zooms in that much. You'll see the same results with any smartphone.
Eh what? You don't need to zoom on the 10x photos to see the sharpening artifacts if you're viewing them on a PC. They look unnatural because of it. Only on a small screen like a phone they look sharp.

Don't get why some people take criticism of the image processing like it's some personal insult or battle of photography skills.

pafc66

Oct 13, 2014
Eh what? You don't need to zoom on the 10x photos to see the sharpening artifacts if you're viewing them on a PC. They look unnatural because of it. Only on a small screen like a phone they look sharp.

Don't get why some people take criticism of the image processing like it's some personal insult or battle of photography skills.

Sorry but where's the oversharpening ? I don't see it, especially not on my snapdragon model.

They're more than good enough for social media and as good as any other phone including the p40 pro plus which is the only other phone that comes close in zoom quality. There isn't many phones out there that don't overprocess their telephoto shots.

Attachments

• 20210226_122651.jpg
    20210226_122651.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
  • 20210226_122643.jpg
    20210226_122643.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 70
  • 20210226_122656.jpg
    20210226_122656.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 63

Maddmatt

Aug 10, 2010
Sorry but where's the oversharpening ? I don't see it, especially not on my snapdragon model.

They're more than good enough for social media and as good as any other phone including the p40 pro plus which is the only other phone that comes close in zoom quality. There isn't many phones out there that don't overprocess their telephoto shots.
Pretty good photos there. but try outdoors. I find outdoors with sunlight and bright sky behind the trees, is where things look weird. Low contrast backgrounds tend to look better.
Your 3rd picture definitely shows it though, has a bit of an oil painting look when viewed on a monitor (27 inch 1440p or 34 inch ultrawide 1440p in my case, 1080p probably wouldn't have the resolution for it to matter).

I'm still on the Feb AUB9 software with an Exynos phone, maybe March sw improves this.

I've attached two photos I've taken that I think demonstrate this well. You can see it just does not have the resolution to capture the radio tower properly and the upscaling + sharpening has just made it look strange, and you can see a faint white outline on the hill due to the sharpening.

The other one is not too bad but has a weird unnatural look to it, which I think again is over-sharpening. Trees in sunlight seem to demonstrate the unnatural sharpening most clearly.

Attachments

• 20210303_174647.jpg
    20210303_174647.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 80
  • 20210303_174321.jpg
    20210303_174321.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Reactions: F118 and gnulio56

Gzoom82

Feb 12, 2021
However, if you don't see certain defects in the photos, I can't help you.

You don't seem to understand anything about photography, have you seen the 100% crop of the canvas print I have on my wall taken using a DSLR??

The subject matter isn't even in focus, yet when printed on to canvas it looks fine.

No one views photos at 100% crop unless you are a pro making a living from selling photos, in which case buy a DSLR.

The S21 U lets you take amazing photos in nearly all conditions for a huge number of subject matters. To moan about the photo quality at 100% is like moaning F1 cars have too big a turning circle.

No camera system perfect, not even the £6k Sony A1.

Don't forget this is a camera PHONE, in addition to taking photos at 240mm zoom it also plays games, does calls, internet banking etc. Frankly I find it amazingly the S21 U can produce any images in the some of the situations I've tried to use it, let alone good ones.

Last edited:

dazed1

Jul 24, 2013
Pretty good photos there. but try outdoors. I find outdoors with sunlight and bright sky behind the trees, is where things look weird. Low contrast backgrounds tend to look better.
Your 3rd picture definitely shows it though, has a bit of an oil painting look when viewed on a monitor (27 inch 1440p or 34 inch ultrawide 1440p in my case, 1080p probably wouldn't have the resolution for it to matter).

I'm still on the Feb AUB9 software with an Exynos phone, maybe March sw improves this.

I've attached two photos I've taken that I think demonstrate this well. You can see it just does not have the resolution to capture the radio tower properly and the upscaling + sharpening has just made it look strange, and you can see a faint white outline on the hill due to the sharpening.

The other one is not too bad but has a weird unnatural look to it, which I think again is over-sharpening. Trees in sunlight seem to demonstrate the unnatural sharpening most clearly.

I sometimes wonder if some users are intentionally ignoring some of the posts, to avoid challenge of their believes.

Maddmatt

Aug 10, 2010
I sometimes wonder if some users are intentionally ignoring some of the posts, to avoid challenge of their believes.

What's your point? You able to get good photos in some specific situations means all criticisms are invalid? Way to bury your head in the sand.

pafc66

Oct 13, 2014

Your problem there is the ISP the Exynos just tends to overcompensate by the lack of detail it can gather compared to the snapdragon by upping digital sharpening

Maddmatt

Aug 10, 2010
Your problem there is the ISP the Exynos just tends to overcompensate by the lack of detail it can gather compared to the snapdragon by upping digital sharpening
Yeah it does sound like it's worse with the Exynos :( Hopefully it's better when I finally get the March update. Since New Zealand seems to get updates just about last, i suppose I'll see it at the end of the month.

Reactions: F118

dazed1

Jul 24, 2013
What's your point? You able to get good photos in some specific situations means all criticisms are invalid? Way to bury your head in the sand.

No it doesn't mean that, i understand that you might have some issues, but daylight zoom photos are not part of it, they are the strongest aspect of the camera. Try to drop the exposure/lock the focus before taking shots, and turn off scene optimizer and stand still.

Also you said try outdoors, i posted 2 great outdoors 10x zoom photos, and i got plenty others. BTW for your and anyone else info, based on tests from day 1 till now, Exynos has a lead in zoom, so if you say its Exynos, it is worst on Snapdragon, so please get better informed.

Snapdragon = better video
Exynos = better zoom

gnulio56

Mar 2, 2021
You don't seem to understand anything about photography, have you seen the 100% crop of the canvas print I have on my wall taken using a DSLR??

The subject matter isn't even in focus, yet when printed on to canvas it looks fine.

No one views photos at 100% crop unless you are a pro making a living from selling photos, in which case buy a DSLR.

The S21 U lets you take amazing photos in nearly all conditions for a huge number of subject matters. To moan about the photo quality at 100% is like moaning F1 cars have too big a turning circle.

No camera system perfect, not even the £6k Sony A1.

Don't forget this is a camera PHONE, in addition to taking photos at 240mm zoom it also plays games, does calls, internet banking etc. Frankly I find it amazingly the S21 U can produce any images in the some of the situations I've tried to use it, let alone good ones.
So you are sayin that no One open at 100% a 12mp picture on a monitor or TV screen right? then for me it is useless to continue arguing.

gnulio56

Mar 2, 2021

Actually yours pictures are the only One that look really good with 10x. If you can do something like that outdoor i really appreciate. I keep saying that the sensor is very good the problem is the software and these photos show me that thanks

Reactions: moraal and dazed1

Gzoom82

Feb 12, 2021
So you are sayin that no One open at 100% a 12mp picture on a monitor or TV screen right? then for me it is useless to continue arguing.

Its only an argument if there is something worth arguing about.....

You keep on saying the sensor is amazing but the software is bad, why do you think Samsung has developed the software as it is??

Take at look at the Sony A1 versus S21 U video, that A1 is delivering results using a 'good' sensor which happens to be nearly 1/4 the size of a S21 U display.

The reason Samsung HAVE to use software processing is because apart from the main 108MB sensor the rest of sensors on the S21 U are what you expect from a smart phone.

If you don't believe me, take a RAW shot on the UW sensor with ISO of 100. You will see noise in there than a DSLR camera at ISO 1600+.

Without software processing the other sensors deliver unusable photos. Someone here posted a zoomed RAW shot a while ago, the noise was horrific even in bright day light.

You cannot have everything in life, I personally will take processing and the photo quality the S21 U delivers versus a RAW file that I would have to spend ages post processing, and that's before you even consider how the S21 U delivers its amazing dynamic range......Its not the sensor doing the magic, its the software.

What's really interesting with the A1 comparison isn't just how close the photos look, but the fact with the A1 you will need a separate laptop, software, internet connection, back up solution to actually manage photos and see them.

On the S21 U I can shoot, review, edit, share, backup in one device on the go. Not forgetting all other things the S21 U can do in addition. In comparison to the Sony A1 the S21 U is a bargain and all the camera most people will ever need!

Reactions: ski.ign and s3axel
Dec 30, 2017
have you ever owned the device or do you speak by hearsay ?. i now have s21 ultra and i wouldn't change it for anyone, being the most complete device on the market. but the photo compartment has to be fixed. the problem is the software since the sensor is excellent. This is taken with the p40 pro + 10x, impossible to achieve with the s21 ultra (look at the details). we have to expect something similar from Samsung.

first of all that picture is horrible and if you cant produce this picture with s21 ultra then return it. something is wrong.
couple of pages back i shared a picture with 30x zoom with more details!!

and Yes, I owned the device and ITS HORRIBLE !!! the worst camera experience i had on a phone with "Potential"
Check some videos i took on YouTube with many devices including xiaomi mi 10 mi 10 ultra p40 pro plus and even vivo x50 pro plus! so actually the answer is yes i know what i am talking about :)

Now back to the P40 pro plus.
the worst device with ZOOM no matter what DXomark is telling you ! jumping jacks while zooming in video check that in my moon shot video using the device. then compare it to zooming in video using the mi 10 ultra and vivo x50Pro+ ! the difference is huge its not even funny

darkest and most grainy pictures when its less than ideal conditions.
worthless color science in dark mood compared to anything before the RYYB joke they came up with since the P30, am i wrong ?

Technology spoiled us maybe but long story short, the best camera always will be pixel phones followed by iPhones, and samsungs now, Huawei can kiss the dust.

Reactions: ventolino

gnulio56

Mar 2, 2021
first of all that picture is horrible and if you cant produce this picture with s21 ultra then return it. something is wrong.

and Yes, I owned the device and ITS HORRIBLE !!! the worst camera experience i had on a phone with "Potential"
Check some videos i took on YouTube with many devices including xiaomi mi 10 mi 10 ultra p40 pro plus and even vivo x50 pro plus! so actually the answer is yes i know what i am talking about :)

the worst device with ZOOM no matter what DXomark is telling you ! jumping jacks while zooming in video check that in my moon shot video using the device. then compare it to zooming in video using the mi 10 ultra and vivo x50Pro+ ! the difference is huge its not even funny

worthless color science in dark mood compared to anything before the RYYB joke they came up with since the P30, am i wrong ?

Technology spoiled us maybe but long story short, the best camera always will be pixel phones followed by iPhones, and samsungs now, Huawei can kiss the dust.
iPhones..... Ahahahahahahahahah

Reactions: moraal and dazed1

dazed1

Jul 24, 2013

Are you claiming that vivo x50 pro plus has better zoom and zoom video vs Ultra?

Top Liked Posts

Can you post night mode in darkness on main cam vs stock with some fur like textured products?
    Stock night mode will always have an edge on being able to bring in more light in less time. With that said, its biggest weakness would be color accuracy. These photos are taken in complete darkness with just a laptop screen providing light, handheld rather than using a tripod. Stock takes 5 seconds to capture, merging however many frames with an exif exposure of 1/3 seconds.

20210412_202307.jpg

GCam does the same 1/3 second exposure. Not exactly sure of the frame count but it took about the same amount of time. It's much darker, but also more color accurate and detailed
    PXL_20210413_032343973.NIGHT.jpg

Now if you take that same GCam photo and boost brightness to match stock, you get a brighter image with more noise, but still has more details.
    PXL_20210413_032343973.NIGHT~2.jpg

And lastly, if you got more steady hands and time, you can turn on Astrophotography mode and use longer exposures. Here is my handheld 1 second exposure with 10 frames (so total of 10 second capture time). Cleanest photo with the most detail. If I used a tripod, I can of course increase the amount of exposure time and frames.
    PXL_20210413_032742803.NIGHT.jpg
    Exynos version
    x10 zoom
    Amazing pics! I love this camera.
    I'm not a photographer, but I love taking pics.
    There are lots of flowers where I live, so I'm lucky. I'll post some more later.

20210328_074340.jpg

20210327_082712~2.jpg

20210327_174750.jpg

20210324_165149.jpg

20210324_155505.jpg

20210329_060215.jpg

20210329_180515.jpg

20210330_114954.jpg

20210403_120150.jpg

20210403_120512.jpg

20210403_120112.jpg
    Fake bokeh on the x 3 optical lens is delivering really good results.

51082752313_bc3c5f907e_4k_d.jpg
    Btw guys you can submit these pictures to Samsung through the members app along with the logs the members app generates. They really look into it it seems. I sent the picture I posted above with the noise in the restaurant and they did reply asking for logs as they need to send those to their engineers. We should do this with photos that are off or look bad as it helps them make improvements. To me this is a really positive sign that Samsung are actually listening
    Portrait and 10X:censored: Exy version
    Foggy yesterday morning. Full auto, exynos, last firmware AUB9.
    BTW. First photo little postproduced in lightroom mobile. Added vignette, more vibrant and punched whites and shadows, just all, the rest is stock.
    Exynos version
    x10 zoom
    I don't play with post processing much these days, but AD Photoshop/LR on the mobile is surprisingly good, this is going to be printed to acrylic plate at somepoint.

51020901102_33a0501883_c_d.jpg

The dynamic range of the S21U really is quite something, even jpgs allows for post processing to the exact temperature 'look' you want.

The depth and general tone of pictures the S21 U is able to capture really did use to be only possible on 'proper' camera systems, even the x10 lens produces half decent efforts in post.

Add in the fact the entire work flow is possible on the phone, so no peeking on the back of a LCD camera screen, no faff with uploading to a laptop, no LR library to manage, no need to worry about backup due to the cloud, am pretty sure I can also send these file direct to Photobox/Snapfish or similar for large format printing all from the phone.......

From a purely a photography point of view, the S21 U is outstanding, there is no other way to put it.

51021828997_a7e329471a_k_d.jpg

51021812027_3bac9d6874_k_d.jpg

51020982978_7ba585f369_k_d.jpg

51020901222_aeadd15545_k_d.jpg
    I'm loving this camera now
    S21 Ultra with March update AUB7 (Snapdragon)
    Hi all, I would like to share my experience. My wife has a 12 pro Max and I have the 21 ultra. I came from the 12 pro Max. I have the Exynos version. AUB9 version. I've been testing both phones from the last month against each other in many several conditions. I'm an amateur photographer form many years. Being short, I can state two main differences between two phones. Overall image quality is better, more detailed, on the s21 ultra (night mode and day light). The 12 pro max is more consistent on results. Each one of the phones has its own computational photo algorithms, for me I prefer the s21 ultra dynamic range, but this is something personal. The 12 pro max is a point and shot camera, most of the time you get really good results, good pictures. The 21 ultra is not, you need to understand a few photography basics to take all the advantage of the 21 ultra, and here is were it surpasses the 12 pro max, the flexibility you can get with the camera setup. In other words, you can take your creativity more further with the 21 ultra. From what I´ve been reading along this weeks about people comparing this two phones , and about being frustrated not getting the same images they get on the iPhone. They are two different worlds. You need to learn how to use the 21 ultra to achieve all his photo potential. With the 12 pro max you just don't need. You get good pictures right out of the box. For my personal use, the 12 pro mas was more boring to use as a camera. I do prefer the creative way.
    On a personal note, the Huawei cameras are the best I've tested. I had all of them until the p40 pro plus. What a phone! I was able to capture the Milky Way on a light polluted sky. I miss the monochrome sensor on the P9.
    About DXO mark, the tests I've made, not in studio, only in real life conditions, don't align with the ones they made. I'm quite sure the phone they test are still on a previous firmware. And it is a shame if they didn't take in account the firmware update.
    Here is a regular simple picture taken with the 21 ultra that the 12 pro max can't do. The 12 pro max just blow away the sun, even reducing the exposure.
    20210228_181854.jpg
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone