Camera problem: red/blue/purple noise in low light photos

Does your One have red/blue/purple noise in low light photos?

• Yes

Votes: 1,590 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 180 10.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

evilmastr

Nov 7, 2009
www.evilmaster.net
Has anyone tried going back to complete stock settings/s-on/locked bootloader etc. To see if the problem still exists?

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

Yes. I've tried going back to 100% out of the box and then testing every OTA as well. No dice.

Which means that I'm now stuck with hboot 1.54 and s-on :( hehe, all in the name of science!

Skickat från min HTC One via Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

JeremyGuan

Aug 30, 2008
Perhaps an official petitions with the help from xda officials?

Im getting frustrated everytime this problem occur when capture slightly dim places.:mad:

born_fisherman

Jul 28, 2010
Yes. I've tried going back to 100% out of the box and then testing every OTA as well. No dice.

Which means that I'm now stuck with hboot 1.54 and s-on :( hehe, all in the name of science!

Skickat från min HTC One via Tapatalk 2

Well slap me silly and call me Susan. There goes that idea!! :p

I was going through my albums from when I first got the phone and the low light pics look pretty good.. there were a couple that had a small amount if blue tint on the edges, but nothing major compared to now with the blue and the red.

evilmastr

Nov 7, 2009
www.evilmaster.net
Well slap me silly and call me Susan. There goes that idea!! :p

I was going through my albums from when I first got the phone and the low light pics look pretty good.. there were a couple that had a small amount if blue tint on the edges, but nothing major compared to now with the blue and the red.

Maybe the sensor is deteriorating because of overheating?

T9'd from the darkest M7.

harlenm

Feb 8, 2007
So my camera looks fine this morning.

This has to be a heat issue. My phone was on Wifi tethering all day yesterday and was really hot all day.

I'm giving up on the phone when I get home from vacation. Wasting another upgrade on one of my lines to get rid of this piece of crap phone.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

vizzy

Jan 5, 2012
I believe it is also heat. .... Would it be possible to alter the camera apk so that it does not turn the brightness up to 100% when it is opened ?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

patpatforxda

Aug 2, 2013
It can be a good way for this problem to get into HTC's attention if this issue will be published. Probably thru articles on anandtech, the verge, engadet, android central, etc. Letting every android fan read and know that the flagship HTC one has this pandemic issue will surely get into their attention.:thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

chrisyng

Jul 22, 2012
some more testing done...

I am confident that many of the people who have said they do not have this problem do..

One of the main tests is to cover the camera lens and see if the screen goes pink with noise...

On a stone cold phone that has been sitting idle for 10 minutes with screen off, if you cover the lens before entering the camera mode, you will get a black screen.. If you leave the camera on and the lens covered, the screen will eventually start to get blue/pink noise.. on my phone it took about 1 minute.. but it's going to depend on how warm your phone is at that current moment..

The people who have said they get a nice black screen probably just tested with the lens covered for a short moment..

Camera sensor noise is typically caused by heat.. the heat can come from an external source (i.e.: heat from battery, heat from display, heat from processor).. but the camera sensor itself can generate heat... the more light the sensor is exposed to, the more heat it generates.. to the point where sensor damage could occur.. get yourself into a very brightly lit environment and start taking several pictures.. you will find that the back of your phone gets very warm quickly as you take photos... now quickly cover up your camera lens and you will find the pink noise come on very quickly...
Next test.. leave your phone idle for a long timed.. then go into a very dim enviroment and start taking photographs.. you will find the phone doesnt get quite as warm and it will take longer before you start getting sensor noise...

Reactions: renehd2

adyscorpius

some more testing done...

I am confident that many of the people who have said they do not have this problem do..

One of the main tests is to cover the camera lens and see if the screen goes pink with noise...

On a stone cold phone that has been sitting idle for 10 minutes with screen off, if you cover the lens before entering the camera mode, you will get a black screen.. If you leave the camera on and the lens covered, the screen will eventually start to get blue/pink noise.. on my phone it took about 1 minute.. but it's going to depend on how warm your phone is at that current moment..

The people who have said they get a nice black screen probably just tested with the lens covered for a short moment..

Camera sensor noise is typically caused by heat.. the heat can come from an external source (i.e.: heat from battery, heat from display, heat from processor).. but the camera sensor itself can generate heat... the more light the sensor is exposed to, the more heat it generates.. to the point where sensor damage could occur.. get yourself into a very brightly lit environment and start taking several pictures.. you will find that the back of your phone gets very warm quickly as you take photos... now quickly cover up your camera lens and you will find the pink noise come on very quickly...
Next test.. leave your phone idle for a long timed.. then go into a very dim enviroment and start taking photographs.. you will find the phone doesnt get quite as warm and it will take longer before you start getting sensor noise...

Exactly. That is the prime cause. Those who are affected or have seen this thread are worse off we are testing our phones to continuously click in the red. Another test. Cover the lens, and click with flash on. U will see how red the screen goes after that.

It is a deteriorating sensor, the more you click and leave the sensor on, the more it will go bad. Happens to SLRs too. Only not at this rate. Poor quality issue, nothing else I believe!

Sent from my HTC One

VictorC

Apr 24, 2013
Bucharest, Romania, EU
Voted! Sadly my One if afflicted by purble noise :\

@VictorCozmei is your One still taking good photos in low light condition?

Sadly, not quite. I still have the problem, but not as bad as my first phone. It takes good pics in low light for the first 10-15-20 seconds and after that it starts gathering noise (but not as much as the original faulty device I had - it really depends on the amount of light in the scene). After that happens, the next time I open the camera, the noise comes back quicker than the first time.

If I leave the camera on and let the noise build up, I see blue/red/purple dots allover and suddenly it resets itself and the picture is good. After a few seconds it starts all over again.

It's bugging me a lot, but seeing as how the pictures now are still better than what I got with my first device and how many complain about this problem (even after replacing the phone), I'm not going to try and take it back to service again.

I'm still waiting to see what the problem is - software or hardware - and for HTC to officially acknowledge it. :rolleyes:

evilmastr

Nov 7, 2009
www.evilmaster.net
I'm going to try to leave my phone with the camera on. Maybe I can damage the sensor or something? I'm sending it back any way, so it won't matter. Hopefully it'll break, lol.

VictorC

Apr 24, 2013
Bucharest, Romania, EU
It can be a good way for this problem to get into HTC's attention if this issue will be published. Probably thru articles on anandtech, the verge, engadet, android central, etc. Letting every android fan read and know that the flagship HTC one has this pandemic issue will surely get into their attention.:thumbup:

This thread has gathered almost the most views and replies in the "Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting" section of the HTC One and still it doesn't seem to spark too much interest.

I didn't see this problem being addressed anywhere: be it news-sites, tech-blogs or even HTC (at least to acknowledge the problem).

I would've thought maybe some tech writer would notice it and maybe write something about it: "Hey, look! A few One owners are complaining about .... etc etc. We've reached out to HTC about this problem and will come back as soon as we hear something" - like I've seen done dozens of times on most tech sites. Sadly though... :(

Reactions: Xopas

evilmastr

Nov 7, 2009
www.evilmaster.net
I put the phone on my mousepad. Started the camera and let it sit there for approximately 20 minutes. Here are the results!

Timestamp 17.20.24 (after ~1 minute after start):
17.20.24.jpg

Timestamp 17.22.53 (+2 minutes):
17.22.53.jpg

Timestamp 17.31.14 (+8 minutes):
17.31.14.jpg

Timestamp 17.39.30 (+8 minutes):
17.39.30.jpg

Edit: Resized the images, please refresh to reload them. :)

Last edited:

harlenm

Feb 8, 2007
The lack of a response from htc is the reason I'm buying a new phone when I get back. It's too frustrating to deal with. I have been through 8 phones and all do it.

Since I sold my s3 for the same price as the One, I never actually spent any money on this phone, so the only thing that I'm losing is an upgrade from att. Kinda pissed about that, and maybe I can get att to reset one, but I cannot deal with a phone that takes pink pictures in low light.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

patpatforxda

Aug 2, 2013
This thread has gathered almost the most views and replies in the "Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting" section of the HTC One and still it doesn't seem to spark too much interest.

I didn't see this problem being addressed anywhere: be it news-sites, tech-blogs or even HTC (at least to acknowledge the problem).

I would've thought maybe some tech writer would notice it and maybe write something about it: "Hey, look! A few One owners are complaining about .... etc etc. We've reached out to HTC about this problem and will come back as soon as we hear something" - like I've seen done dozens of times on most tech sites. Sadly though... :(

That's what Im actually saying. This issue will only get to htc's attention once popular sites start to publicize this worsening problem. hTC will be obliged to provide an official response then. Is there a way for us to reach those writers?

c0rp1

Nov 18, 2009
My red tint is not heat related. At cold phone if I cover the camera with my finger it is red immediately.
I think my sensor was damaged at start, cause it didn`t take night shots well enough ... there was always a lot of noise on every pic, but it got worse and worse, until I`m not able to shoot at a dark place without flash.
I don`t have a problem with daylight shooting.
But there is something else also ... at first my camera took wonderful micro shots and now the distance that it needs to focus has gotten bigger (like 10sm +). Can the people with red/blue tint check if they can focus on very close objects in macro mode also ?

evilmastr

Nov 7, 2009
www.evilmaster.net
My red tint is not heat related. At cold phone if I cover the camera with my finger it is red immediately.
I think my sensor was damaged at start, cause it didn`t take night shots well enough ... there was always a lot of noise on every pic, but it got worse and worse, until I`m not able to shoot at a dark place without flash.
I don`t have a problem with daylight shooting.
But there is something else also ... at first my camera took wonderful micro shots and now the distance that it needs to focus has gotten bigger (like 10sm +). Can the people with red/blue tint check if they can focus on very close objects in macro mode also ?

My camera has problems focusing all the time. Shooting video is a pain because it almost always turns out to be out of focus!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok so I've done some tests after the 4.3 and Sense 5.5 update

I have good news and bad news...

The good news
    is: Apparently HTC did put some software in it to try and solve the blue/red/purple camera problem and it sort of works...

The bad news: It sort of works only in 5% of moments (at best)... :mad:

In some moments I felt that the images I got were better than the ones I could've got before... And I can definitely see when the software thingy kicks in: After 2-3 seconds when the noise builds up, it jumps right in and the image becomes darker, but with less noise...

The problem is it doesn't eliminate the noise and in a lot of moments I got the same results - the image would gather more and more purple/red/blue noise as the seconds went by.

Worse still, at some point the phone goes crazy and, i guess it's due to the software patch, the screen goes like a Christmas tree light: white noise - blue noise - purple - red noise - black - no noise....

So... The pictures below are a comparison between my first unit (the one that took the pictures in the original postin the thread) and my current (new/replacement) unit in the first days, after a while (when it started presenting the same problem) and now, after the 4.3 and Sense 5.5 Update.

Note: I selected the best shot sample from the 4.3 update batch

G6PtzDK.jpg

FsylKmw.jpg

l8BNmsw.jpg

WW5g70u.jpg

This, i guess, is the only example where the update is better then the others...

Md6aLo2.jpg

The picture below shows a series of shots taken after the 4.3/Sense 5.5 update in chronological order. Notice how the noise starts building up -> So I see no difference there to how it was before the update... Awful...

RUaReWp.jpg

And the picture below shows how the software kicks in, but it starts gathering noise again (slower, but still...)

IE1m7TV.jpg

If you think this post helped, hit the thanks button ;)
    Hello everybody!

I am now a proud owner of an HTC One and I absolutely love it.

Its an SH35BW903846 and, build quality wise, its almost perfect - 99% perfect. No gaps, no dents, not dead pixels, no light bleed and not even the pop/crackle. It's running the 1.29.401.16 software.

The only problem I have (I don't know yet if it is a problem), is with the camera in night time and very low light scenes.

My problem is that in night shots and very low light scenes, the camera turns the black into blue (or red in very very dark scenes). For example, I included some photos, on a dark street with only a few light posts it turns black areas into blurry blue. Yes, it lets in more light (and more natural looking light) than my old One X, but the black areas are blue.

Not to mention, some times it has trouble focusing so a few of the shots I attached were taken after 2-3 tries.

Even more, in very very dark scenarios - see the last picture - it turns the blackness into red.

Now, my questions:

• Is this normal?
    • Has anyone else had this problem (is it a problem)?
    • Can someone post a night time picture taken with their one in similar scenario and without the "blue"?

I am a bit worried because if it is a flaw than i would have to return my almost perfect One... :crying:

If the information below or this thread have helped you in any way, hit the thanks button ;)

UPDATED 13th of November: I took my phone into service again. This time they didn't replace my whole phone, but they did replace the camera module. They put in a camera from SHARP, sensor date 14 october 2013. The first tests I've done indicate that they've finally found a way/a sensor/a manufacturer to make the damned camera perform in low light like it supposed to... See a photo comparison of the new camera here.

UPDATED 14th of October: A comparison test after getting the 4.3 and Sense 5.5 Update: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=46781359&postcount=3099 :mad:

UPDATED (2nd of October) - If you have the same problem, please fill in this Google form made by @gogogaga7 so we can have a centralized data base with information about the units that are flawed. The form is here: http://goo.gl/HmRJqC

UPDATED (5th of July) - I just got a replacement for my faulty unit and I just posted comparison photos in this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43265994&postcount=89

Advice: If your camera gives you similar results with blue/red/purple noise in low-light photos -> take it back to HTC or an operator or repair service for a replacement!

UPDATED with Poll (13th of August) - Seeing how many replies and page views this thread has gathered during these couple of months, how many of you said they experience this problem and how HTC has not publicly recognized it (either as software or hardware fault), I added a Poll to see indeed how many of us are having this problem. Please vote!

OO0M4fO.jpg

TXIXRbV.jpg

7UvUmzT.jpg

O4X7EKT.jpg

JWJvqSq.jpg

0iTKzDh.jpg

vQ0b0np.jpg
    So, seeing as how I started this thread with some really (really!) awful low-light shots taken with my HTC One, I feel I should come back with some news after my second replacement.

My first unit (the one which took those awful blue photos in the OP) was exchanged with a new unit ( a new phone), but unfortunately, after a few days (maybe a week), the camera started going bad again... In a matter of months I was back in the purple tint club. I waited for the famous 4.3 update to see if it really changes anything. My conclusions after that, you can see in the photo comparison I posted here.

So, I took back my unit into service (Regenersis), they shipped it to Poland where they have their laboratories and in just a week they sent it back with a new camera module instaled (from SHARP, sensor date 14 october 2013) and now it really seems they have finally found a way/ a sensor/ a manufacturer to make the damned camera perform in low light like it supposed to...

Actually, I was really (extremely in some cases) impressed with the low light performance... Especially when I put the photos against the ones that I took before.

So... Down below you will find a photo comparison between my new HTC One camera and the old faulty camera on the same HTC One just after the 4.3 update.

As a note, the images were taken under very similar circumstances and lighting conditions:

aFGpaAG.jpg

NUUzsXp.jpg

qxCuIuH.jpg

zBP4Wfc.jpg

v8Mz13k.jpg

tuXZXi4.jpg

In this photo, in the picture take with the old camera, there was more light because of a light turned on just above and on one of the first floor window in the building bhind me:

lx6dAp2.jpg

gPB2Dx9.jpg

Here is the details of the new camera they put on my phone:

OGqBuuv.jpg

>>>Hit the thanks button if you thing this post helped at all ;)
    We have a conclusion ( @Riyal and me): the camera issue it's a software issue.
    It's caused from some libs and a bit of code in the kernel.
    So, we're at working to how to solve it, but this require time.
    We hoping that we can do a solution soon.

Cheers,
    Guich :)
    Hello everybody!

I took my unit into service last week and today I was called that my replacement unit arrived and I can pick it up (although i didn't expect them to replace my phone, but try to repair it and maybe break it even more. They agreed to except a replacement and told me that, indeed, there is a problem with the camera sensor and sent the faulty unit back to HTC ).

Ok, so I just got my new phone (the replacement unit) and, after testing it a bit, I can say that the problem is gone (or so I hope).

Below, I took some photos in the same places I took the photos posted in the first post of this thread and I compared them. So, up top you can see the photos taken with my old One unit, and below - the photos take with my new unit.

All photos are taken on Full Auto mode, with just a touch to focus before pressing the shutter button:

FSsoORO.jpg

tB0HcHK.jpg

3qanpD0.jpg

jY84sOC.jpg

oNSdYdn.jpg

rQ9iS7y.jpg

zONb6kI.jpg

@Riyal I thought you might be interested :)