• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Camera software and HDR integration with other apps

Search This thread

MrMagicPotato

So one thing that I understood from the launch live is that google has collabbed with Snapchat to bring full implementation of HDR within the app.
My biggest doubt is.. will it also fully integrate with all the other social network apps or not? I mean apps like TikTok, Instagram and most of all, Whatsapp..

What makes an android phone so bad for socials is that they totally cripple camera performance once you use a third party camera app. On the other end iPhone's do it perfectly. If only the Pixel filled this gap, it would be a no brainer choosing Android over iOS..!

I currently have a Pixel 3 XL and every time I use the camera to take photos in Whatsapp or videos in tiktok, its utterly ugly, it looks like the pic was taken from a Galaxy s4.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
I'm still not so sure if we even have "true" HDR10 (or better, like Dolby Vision on Iphone 13Max) on the Pixel. Did anyone actually try to look at picture/videofootage at a HDR capable monitor/TV and did HDR kick in?

As far as I know, it's all some fake-ass SDR vivid-algorithm BS.

plasticarmyman

Apr 13, 2011
Long Beach
I'm still not so sure if we even have "true" HDR10 (or better, like Dolby Vision on Iphone 13Max) on the Pixel. Did anyone actually try to look at picture/videofootage at a HDR capable monitor/TV and did HDR kick in?

As far as I know, it's all some fake-ass SDR vivid-algorithm BS.
I used HDR Display Check

Attachments

• 247703588_4835533826459159_4962936303484861117_n.png
    247703588_4835533826459159_4962936303484861117_n.png
    103.5 KB · Views: 10

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
how would I potentially test this?
I guess we/you'd have to transfer footage of your phone (video/photos) to a HDR capable device (like an LG CX or something like that) and see if HDR kicks in. It's also possible to detect this with Windows tools like MediaInfo. If the video is recorded with HDR it will have a color space of BT. 2020 also know as REC.2020.

Even though it's kinda tricky to determine if it really is shot in 10bit. There is a differenec between color depth and color space, meaning a video can be shot in 8bit and can still output a HDR signal, even though it lacks all basic features that HDR should offer. This whole HDR story is a joke at this point, it's basically broken in Windows, the whole industry is split in several factions (HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision...), there is almost no cross-compatibility and then you can't even trust the output of a file, as explained earlier.

It sucks, and it sucks hard. I - for example - tried to get Mass Effect: Andromeda working with Windows 11 (Dolby Vision) and stopped after about 9 hours of troubleshooting because of Black Screen problems, rainbow color issues, crashs, forced restarts because the Windows UI crashed/became invisible...

HDR is just a mess. It only works well if you put a streaming device directly into an HDR capable Television and use Apps like Disney+, Netflix, HBO MAX or something like that.

It's a shame, because footage shot in true HDR look simply stunning.

Last edited:

plasticarmyman

Apr 13, 2011
Long Beach
I guess we/you'd have to transfer footage of your phone (video/photos) to an HDR capable device (like an LG CX or something like that) and see if HDR kicks in. It's also possible to detect this with Windows tools like MediaInfo. If the video is recorded with HDR it will have a color space of BT. 2020 also know as REC.2020.

Even though it's kinda tricky to determine if it really is shot in 10bit. There is a differenec between color depth and color space, meaning a video can be shot in 8bit and can still output a HDR signal, even though it lacks all basic features that HDR should offer. This whole HDR story is a joke at this point, it's basically broken in Windows, the whole industry is split in several factions (HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision...), there is almost no cross-compatibility and then you can't even trust the output of a file, as explained earlier.

It sucks, and it sucks hard. I - for example - tried to get Mass Effect: Andromeda working with Windows 11 (Dolby Vision) and stopped after about 9 hours of troubleshooting because of Black Screen problems, rainbow color issues, crashs, forced restarts because the Windows UI crashed/became invisible...

HDR is just a mess. It only works well if you put a streaming device directly into an HDR capable Television and use Apps like Disney+, Netflix, HBO MAX or something like that.
i'm getting ColorSpace YUV with video and pictures, even when using Open Camera with HDR enabled.

I haven't had any issues in Windows with my second Monitor that has HDR capabilities....but there are times when I turn it off because it doesn't look the best in some games.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition was having wash out issues on my pc until I turned it off