• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Cameraservice_worker partial wakelock

Search This thread

chungdae

Jun 18, 2014
Sorry to interrupt.
But, is this an issue with the SD888 version also?
And, also, you guys have put in a lot of work here. Good job!
Yes I have a SD and the drain is there. Very significant when it's in my pocket. I reported to Samsung members and they allegedly "escalated" it to their developers two weeks ago and I have yet to hear back.

**** like this is why I'm stating to mean away from Samsung. Samsung used to be innovative and responsive to its users. They've become too mainstream.

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Problem is we, power users, are a very small group to them
This x 100.
But, this issue cannot be neglected by Samsung anymore -- battery life matters!
Luckily, I have one foot out of the Samsung Android door.
Once WhatsApp and Signal allow iOS<->Android message transfers, I'm considering leaving unless Google and Samsung get their **** together.
What does it say when Microsoft has started gaining consumer appeal whereas Samsung and Google are losing it.

So I wanted to test this wake lock on my phone today. Laced up and went for a walk... For Science! 😂

Started with 97% battery out the door.

Phone was in the right pocket of my shorts the entire time. Did not change any settings when leaving home, left the phone as it would be all the time. 4G on, Bluetooth on, Wi-Fi scanning on, Location On etc and Power Saving Turned off. I have a Galaxy Watch Active 2 (BT version) which was on my left wrist, connected to the phone via Bluetooth (it's always connected to the phone, even at home). BBS was running in the background, snooping on the battery...

Walked around for 8km, around 10,600 steps which took me around 90 mins.

At the end of the activity, battery had dropped from 97% to 93% which is fairly decent for a 90 minute walkabout jumping between cell towers, connected to my Smart Watch the whole time via Bluetooth.

BBS showed 369 instances of the CameraService_worker wakelock since unplugged 2 hours ago, only 2 min 7 seconds duration and 1.8% battery drain.

I don't know what to say... This was quite the anticlimax and I was expecting a huge drop in battery... I'm not sure why the wakelock isn't a battery hog in my case. Not that I'm complaining, but I would've liked to figure this out.

I have a 12/256 Exynos S21U Indian unit, dual physical SIM handset BTW, and I'm on the official AUE1 May Firmware. No root, no system modification.

Lemme know if you guys want me to test this out any more... Or change the test parameters and re-try. I want to figure this wakelock out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210614-093236_Samsung Health.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-093236_Samsung Health.jpg
    637.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20210614-074929.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-074929.jpg
    493.3 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: tobias14

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
So I wanted to test this wake lock on my phone today. Laced up and went for a walk... For Science! 😂

Started with 97% battery out the door.

Phone was in the right pocket of my shorts the entire time. Did not change any settings when leaving home, left the phone as it would be all the time. 4G on, Bluetooth on, Wi-Fi scanning on, Location On etc and Power Saving Turned off. I have a Galaxy Watch Active 2 (BT version) which was on my left wrist, connected to the phone via Bluetooth (it's always connected to the phone, even at home). BBS was running in the background, snooping on the battery...

Walked around for 8km, around 10,600 steps which took me around 90 mins.

At the end of the activity, battery had dropped from 97% to 93% which is fairly decent for a 90 minute walkabout jumping between cell towers, connected to my Smart Watch the whole time via Bluetooth.

BBS showed 369 instances of the CameraService_worker wakelock since unplugged 2 hours ago, only 2 min 7 seconds duration and 1.8% battery drain.

I don't know what to say... This was quite the anticlimax and I was expecting a huge drop in battery... I'm not sure why the wakelock isn't a battery hog in my case. Not that I'm complaining, but I would've liked to figure this out.

I have a 12/256 Exynos S21U Indian unit, dual physical SIM handset BTW, and I'm on the official AUE1 May Firmware. No root, no system modification.

Lemme know if you guys want me to test this out any more... Or change the test parameters and re-try. I want to figure this wakelock out.
4% drop in 1.5 hours with 0 screen time?!
Ridiculous.

4% drop in 1.5 hours with 0 screen time?!
Ridiculous.
I guess there's some extra battery drain expected in my case because of the constant back and forth between the watch and the phone, syncing notifications and activity data in real time. The cell modem and BT radios can't function without some battery usage...

What I'm trying to say is that the dain because of the CameraService_worker is not as monstrous as I expected it to be. Also, the number of times it triggered and total duration of wakelock seems lower than what we've seen from other users so far... This is puzzling.

Having said that, I've only used it for 1.5 hours of activity so this can't be taken as representative of an entire day's usage. Will need to move around much more over the day to see how it fares over extended periods of walking. I'll post some more records later...

ione2380

Oct 13, 2009
Brasov
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I guess there's some extra battery drain expected in my case because of the constant back and forth between the watch and the phone, syncing notifications and activity data in real time. The cell modem and BT radios can't function without some battery usage...

What I'm trying to say is that the dain because of the CameraService_worker is not as monstrous as I expected it to be. Also, the number of times it triggered and total duration of wakelock seems lower than what we've seen from other users so far... This is puzzling.

Having said that, I've only used it for 1.5 hours of activity so this can't be taken as representative of an entire day's usage. Will need to move around much more over the day to see how it fares over extended periods of walking. I'll post some more records later

Having said that, I've only used it for 1.5 hours of activity so this can't be taken as representative of an entire day's usage. Will need to move around much more over the day to see how it fares over extended periods of walking. I'll post some more records later...
To measure correctly, charge the phone to full, go to a walk, then put bbts partial wakelock to "charge", not "unplugged". You will see a total different thing. Wakelocks will be much higher. I was doing the same incorrect measurements and got the same results as you. Now, with the correct measurement, the wakelocks jumped to thousands instead of hundreds.

To measure correctly, charge the phone to full, go to a walk, then put bbts partial wakelock to "charge", not "unplugged". You will see a total different thing. Wakelocks will be much higher. I was doing the same incorrect measurements and got the same results as you. Now, with the correct measurement, the wakelocks jumped to thousands instead of hundreds.
Here you go. Phone was fully charged in the morning.

Re-uploading the screenshot with the parameters you asked for 'charged' instead of 'unplugged'

Have been using the phone actively for around 5 hrs and 30 mins now. SOT 1 hr 41 mins, Battery is down to 79%

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210614-113156.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-113156.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 45

ione2380

Oct 13, 2009
Brasov
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Here you go. Phone was fully charged in the morning.

Re-uploading the screenshot with the parameters you asked for 'charged' instead of 'unplugged'

Have been using the phone actively for around 5 hrs and 30 mins now. SOT 1 hr 41 mins, Battery is down to 79%
Mine jumped from 250 or so wakelocks, after 1.5 hours of walking, to 1800 after another half an hour of walking.

jigna

Dec 16, 2010
I reinstalled GSAM to see if anything had changed in the last few months.

I'm still getting around the same values. I was out today for ~2 hrs running chores, clocked up ~8,000 steps on my galaxy watch. Just went out for a 45min bike ride, phone attached to my handle bar via quad lock.

Stats:
Since Charge: 8:52
Battery: 65%
Screen: 1:28:49
Cameraservice_worker: 1029 - 48.7m awake.

Main stats: https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/eLRfAFEzTyFW
App ussage: https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/uEoTb1JKnvBf
Wakelock: https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/73WkH5uZMCKj

I think some people may be getting confused about the breakdown of the stats that can be attributed to the wakelock. Here's my interpretation of my stats.

Total drain so far: 35%
App Usage (the camera wakelock is in this) is 71% ==> so that means 71% of the 35% = 25% (I rounded up)
Android System > Cameraservice_worker 15% ==> so that means 15% of the 25% = 4% (I rounded up)

Based on this, by my calculations, the camera wakelock has taken up UP TO 4%. Bear in mind, I ROUNDED UP in my calculations, if anything the wakelock is closer to 3-3.5%. The wakelock accounts for up to 10% of the drain, which is still significant, so I'm not dismissing the issue, but I'm putting it into context as I think the numbers being thrown around are incorrect.

Last edited:

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021

I'm still getting around the same values. I was out today for ~2 hrs running chores, clocked up ~8,000 steps on my galaxy watch. Just went out for a 45min bike ride, phone attached to my handle bar via quad lock.

Stats:

I think some people may be getting confused about the breakdown of the stats that can be attributed to the wakelock. Here's my interpretation of my stats.

App Usage (the camera wakelock is in this) is 71% ==> so that means 71% of the 35% = 25% (I rounded up)
Android System > Cameraservice_worker 15% ==> so that means 15% of the 25% = 4% (I rounded up)

Based on this, by my calculations, the camera wakelock has taken up UP TO 4%. Bear in mind, I ROUNDED UP in my calculations, if anything the wakelock is closer to 3-3.5%. If expanded out (i.e. full battery), the drain will account for 10% of the battery, which is still significant, so I'm not dismissing the issue.
Spot on.
We gotta keep at this with Samsung.
Does Power-Saving mode with only 70% CPU limit toggled ON help with this? Does it reduce wake-locks?

adamlee2012

Jun 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Slightly off topic but just wondering if anyone has noticed when dark mode is on and your viewing grey colour the display can be seen flickering slightly on brightness levels under 50%, wondered if it was nornal for amoled displays with high refresh rates to flicker or are my eyes Very sensitive to the refresh rate

Stats:

Based on this, by my calculations, the camera wakelock has taken up UP TO 4%. Bear in mind, I ROUNDED UP in my calculations, if anything the wakelock is closer to 3-3.5%. The wakelock accounts for up to 10% of the drain, which is still significant, so I'm not dismissing the issue, but I'm putting it into context as I think the numbers being thrown around are incorrect.
Can you please send a log to Samsung via the members app. Thank you.

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Based on this, by my calculations, the camera wakelock has taken up UP TO 4%. Bear in mind, I ROUNDED UP in my calculations, if anything the wakelock is closer to 3-3.5%. If expanded out (i.e. full battery), the drain will account for 10% of the battery, which is still significant, so I'm not dismissing the issue.
It's complex and we can't retrieve exactly drain because of camera wake while screen off.
Everyones concern here is phone draining battery while they are moving with phone in pockets.
If you really wants to compare, make this test and then justify weather it is matter of concern or not, like
Full charge phone -
1.Don't use device for 1 hr and keep on flat surface.
Note the % drained
2.Now put device in pocket and walk/move for 1 Hr
Check the battery drain and compare.

What normally here everyone finding is, in condition 1 - drain is just 0.5 to 1 %
While in condition 2- maybe 5%
And that is what people concern.

jigna

Dec 16, 2010
Can you please send a log to Samsung via the members app. Thank you.
I already did. I was one of the first guys here banging on about it. I gave up and accepted it as at the end of the day, the phone meets my daily needs and I can accept the potential 10% drain.

What normally here everyone finding is, in condition 1 - drain is just 0.5 to 1 %
Yep, that's the drain I get when my phone is idle (i.e. on my desk unused).
While in condition 2- maybe 5%
Are people taking into account what else they're doing? In my case today (every day), I have podcasts on via bluetooth when walking. I saw one user had pokemon, that stuff needs to be taken into account.

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Another way,
We do routinely keep phone in pocket nearly 3-4 hrs on an average then drain could be 20-25% with just this mess. That means 5000 mah battery, actually turned out to be just 3700mah
How many users have bought S21 if it made officially with 3700 mah?
This is the point of concern. Issue is only on S21U. I do have N9,10,20 but none have this issue.
I have found the solution and my device have 0% drain with camera wakelock but that's not solution as it needs root and my rom, what about users who don't want to break warranty of flagship device.

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Another way,
We do routinely keep phone in pocket nearly 3-4 hrs on an average then drain could be 20-25% with just this mess. That means 5000 mah battery, actually turned out to be just 3700mah
How many users have bought S21 if it made officially with 3700 mah?
This is the point of concern. Issue is only on S21U. I do have N9,10,20 but none have this issue.
I have found the solution and my device have 0% drain with camera wakelock but that's not solution as it needs root and my rom, what about users who don't want to break warranty of flagship device.
Never listen to written battery capacity by OEMs.
I am certain that they are over-provisioning to extend longevity at this point.
Either way, we'll find out in 4 years.
Remember that people with iPhone 6S Pluses are still kicking it with their original 5-6 year old battery because Apple implemented battery longevity protections and downthrottling to prevent random shutdowns.
If Samsung isn't doing something similar, then it is just criminal and I'll switch to an iPhone 4 years down the line.
I've been begging them for a battery charge cut-off/limiter feature like SONY and ASUS or for them to inform us about whether they're over-provisioning or not.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    On beta 1 gsam wouldn't read the battery stats so couldn't check the wakelock but knew it was there because standby while moving was really bad. I'm now on October patch and camera service is usually 3rd on the list of wakelock.
    On beta it is very similar like old vesion, plaenty of wakelocks
    On Aug-Oct Patch Android 11, it is better and less wakelocks
    Hey guys, it seems that Samsung changed something with the cameraservice_worker-partial-wakelock. In October patch (did a clean install cause i was on beta 1) and standby is even better now. Dont know if it is Placebo cause the beta wasnt as good. Can anyone confirm?
    On beta 1 gsam wouldn't read the battery stats so couldn't check the wakelock but knew it was there because standby while moving was really bad. I'm now on October patch and camera service is usually 3rd on the list of wakelock.
    Ok, so today (thanks sunday) dig this issue further as too many discussion was going on but never experienced it as my S21U is just spared device and only using for development purpose.
    There are some good and bad news.
    • This seems intentional and to prevent camera motor sound while device isn't being used. I have doubt samsung gonna fix this
    • There can be some workaround/partial fix and may some good fix
    • Partial fix may have some compromisation like disable sensor at all while screen is off. This can be achieved with external app. Again there may be little drain for this app (Though should be negligible). App needs root.
    • Some system level fix (custom ROM) can be tried, I have tested one and result is attached in below screenshot. C=control (with stock) T= Test. In both tests, I couldn't find CamerService_wakelocks.
    Teseted1 for 9-10min walk + 2-3 min standby + some shaking - No wakelock detected
    Tested 2 with some semi manual changes - 5 min walk + some shake - No wake lock detected
    Restore stock and (control) and wakelocks returns.
    Important things to test are :
    • How much this makes difference practically
    • Does this breakes any camera/other important fuctions (Specifically when system level changes made)

Main drawback is either of method needs root. Still looking if some workaround there for non root but chances are thin.
    Yet needs some more and thorugh testing. Let's see how time permits.

Screenshot_20210606-201752.jpg Screenshot_20210606-224203.jpg Screenshot_20210606-223335.jpg Screenshot_20210606-222556.jpg
    Though not perfect but we can write some scripts (meanwhile Samsung fix it) that can turn off sensors while screen is off and vice versa when screen turns on.
    Which app to use or where to go to disable this wakelock?
    It's under development (testing) phase.
    Today tested effect of fix and with Sensor off method (Tool with Auto off sensor when screen is off) drain was nearly 2-3%, similar to turning off sensor manually (Benefit of fix is, it will do it on it's own, you don't needs to turn sensor On/off manually)
    Another fix is pretty cool (ROM level), No wakelocks at all. nearly 1 hr (10-15 min walk, 2-3 min screen on and rest of time in pocket in sitting position) battery drain was only 1% (attached screenshot). This fix doen't needs QS tile too.
    Unfortunately both needs root.