• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Cameraservice_worker partial wakelock

Search This thread

jigna

Dec 16, 2010
We do routinely keep phone in pocket nearly 3-4 hrs on an average then drain could be 20-25% with just this mess
I have my phone with all the time and it generally triggers 1000+ wakelock instances daily. Obviously some people may trigger it more, so that may account for them seeing 20-25% drain instead of my up to 10%.

Again, I don't disagree there's an issue, like i said, I was raising this here, samsung forums, and samsung members waaaay back in February. Heck if there's a class action against Samsung I'll jump on that train.

Reactions: nixnixnixnix4
Another way,
We do routinely keep phone in pocket nearly 3-4 hrs on an average then drain could be 20-25% with just this mess. That means 5000 mah battery, actually turned out to be just 3700mah
How many users have bought S21 if it made officially with 3700 mah?
This is the point of concern. Issue is only on S21U. I do have N9,10,20 but none have this issue.
I have found the solution and my device have 0% drain with camera wakelock but that's not solution as it needs root and my rom, what about users who don't want to break warranty of flagship device.
Have you found any downside to disabling the camera stabilization function (or whatever is the underlying reason for the wakelock) during screen off?

I mean possibility of damage to the camera over time with the thing stabilization thing off while walking or running about?

Just cuirous as to why the brainiacs over at Samsung would do something like this without any benefit on their latest flagship?

Sometimes, it's difficult to make sense of this world...

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Heck if there's a class action against Samsung I'll jump on that train.
That's the only way they'll learn.

Do you know how many class actions it took to teach Google to stop messing with the Pixel lineup?

It literally taught Google that they were never going to be able to enter the hardware game easily and they did us all a favor by giving up.

I'm not sure. That's why I asked Ketan. He's a long term developer and might have insights into the software features that others may not be able to comprehend fully.

Also, any long term side effects, only time will tell.

What bothers me is why this issue isn't present on other Samsung flagships with OIS cameras

That's the only way they'll learn.

Do you know how many class actions it took to teach Google to stop messing with the Pixel lineup?

It literally taught Google that they were never going to be able to enter the hardware game easily and they did us all a favor by giving up.
They gave up on hardware? I thought Pixel 6 was around the corner?

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Have you found any downside to disabling the camera stabilization function (or whatever is the underlying reason for the wakelock) during screen off?

I mean possibility of damage to the camera over time with the thing stabilization thing off while walking or running about?

Just cuirous as to why the brainiacs over at Samsung would do something like this without any benefit on their latest flagship?

I have found it without disabling sensor.
Regarding long term damage, I can't say but I personally I feel it shouldn't. Actually disabling sensor (or any other way to stop camera wake) doesn't stabilize theoretically but my question is I don't feel like it stabilize without applying fix either. Just shake device and you will find rattling sound even without any fix, weather screen on/off. Only one condition can stop this is open back camera, even front camera seems not stopping rattling sound. After this I don't think it does make any damage.

I was raising this here, samsung forums, and samsung members waaaay back in February. Heck if there's a class action against Samsung I'll jump on that train.
Yeah man. I've seen your username all over the internet. Including places I dont' usually visit, like whirlpool forums... You were really crusading against this a couple of months ago...

All this seems to have generated some noise in the samsung forums and Reddit, but we need a lot more publicity of this issue to get it into Samsung's ears...

I have found it without disabling sensor.
Regarding long term damage, I can't say but I personally I feel it shouldn't. Actually disabling sensor (or any other way to stop camera wake) doesn't stabilize theoretically but my question is I don't feel like it stabilize without applying fix either. Just shake device and you will find rattling sound even without any fix, weather screen on/off. Only one condition can stop this is open back camera, even front camera seems not stopping rattling sound. After this I don't think it does make any damage.
Thank you for the explanation.

Let's wait and see if Samsung acknowledges this issue and pushes a fix via OTA. If not, will need to seriously consider installing your ROM with the fix built in.

Right now, because of the pandemic and being at home most of the day, the drain isn't a problem. But once life resumes, and 15 hour workdays begin, it may graduate to becoming the biggest battery guzzler for some of us.

adamlee2012

Jun 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I already did. I was one of the first guys here banging on about it. I gave up and accepted it as at the end of the day, the phone meets my daily needs and I can accept the potential 10% drain.

Yep, that's the drain I get when my phone is idle (i.e. on my desk unused).

Are people taking into account what else they're doing? In my case today (every day), I have podcasts on via bluetooth when walking. I saw one user had pokemon, that stuff needs to be taken into account.
Explain how my phone drained to 79% in just under 7 hours with 15min screen time. This was in my pocket at work constantly walking around. The drain can be quite severe. What I've noticed is a slight improvement in battery life after flashing the AUF2 update.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210614-104622_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-104622_Gallery.jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20210614-104622_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-104622_Gallery.jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 32

adamlee2012

Jun 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

The wakelock also affects the N20U but doesn't consume as much power for some reason. No one has figured this out. Be great if someone has both devices to test on a long walk and see how much battery they both loose.

The wakelock also affects the N20U but doesn't consume as much power for some reason. No one has figured this out. Be great if someone has both devices to test on a long walk and see how much battery they both loose.
@dr.ketan has both devices I think. He's the only one looking into this from a developer's perspective. All we can do is test it out, find patterns and observations - then see if they match what others are experiencing. And then make some noise :p :ROFLMAO:

Amar1992

Jun 3, 2021
Another way,
We do routinely keep phone in pocket nearly 3-4 hrs on an average then drain could be 20-25% with just this mess. That means 5000 mah battery, actually turned out to be just 3700mah
How many users have bought S21 if it made officially with 3700 mah?
This is the point of concern. Issue is only on S21U. I do have N9,10,20 but none have this issue.
I have found the solution and my device have 0% drain with camera wakelock but that's not solution as it needs root and my rom, what about users who don't want to break warranty of flagship device.
Freaking spot on.

adamlee2012

Jun 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210614-110754_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-110754_Gallery.jpg
    902.8 KB · Views: 41

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
They gave up on hardware? I thought Pixel 6 was around the corner?
The Pixels have been reduced to prototype showcase devices now.
Just a looming guidance and threat to OEMs to not get out of line.
The devices are not designed to last, plain and simple.
I got 4 years out of my Pixel XL. Don't expect more than that.
In fact, don't expect more than 3 years now.
Pixels have become an RMA magnet. Unless you're planning on getting the A series (Pixel 4a) or just enthused, don't bother with them.
Google should really partner with a serious hardware quality-controlling company. I guess it won't be Samsung. Maybe SONY or ASUS? LOL.

jigna

Dec 16, 2010
You can see how long my phone was kept awake
Yea, what's the % for that section (App Usage)? App usage AND then Android System (where the wakelock registers) are subsets of the overall battery drain, not the whole thing. My camera wakelock counter was similar to yours and by my calculations, if the stats are right, it means that 3-4% of the 35% overall drain is from the wakelock, the rest is from me using the phone.

Refer to my post where I outlined the calcualtions. I included screenshots of my phone.

Amar1992

Jun 3, 2021
Yea, what's the % for that section (App Usage)? App usage is a subset of the actual drain, not the whole thing. My camera wakelock counter was similar to yours and by my calculations, if the stats are right, it means that 3-4% of the 35% overall drain is from the wakelock, the rest is from me using the phone.
The thing is that the standby drain is high because it doesn't let the phone go to deep sleep. So it's awake when it doesn't need to be. I have the situation that I'm losing almost the same battery percentage when using the phone or when having it in the pocket. Notorious.

jigna

Dec 16, 2010
The thing is that the standby drain is high because it doesn't let the phone go to deep sleep
Yea, that's a different issue though. Afaik, this camera wakelock is being triggered because the phone is in motion (e.g. in a pocket etc) If it's sitting on a desk idle, drain should be the normal @ 0.5-1%. If it's taking more than that, you've likely got another app that's killing the battery <== that's my experience through the last 10 yrs of Android phones.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello guys just an update:
    Since updating my phone to the AUHB August patch, for me I'm happy to say that this wakelock seems a lot less frequent :D!

I can finally use my phone like how it's meant to be used. And I finally have face unlock functional again! (Previously couldn't work as sensors were off)

What is the situation with you guys? Is anyone still having this wakelock a lot?
    There some good news that may get some relief to non root users.
    Fold 3 have removed this code and shouln't have this issue, I have found it while looking into code for some other purpose, though I don't own Fold 3 yet. So, may be with A12/next major update they are planning with august end, this may get fixed.
    And one bad news for rooted user, fold 3 now have disabled camera if you root device lol!
    With the new Update AUHB from yesterday for Exynos, I got no wakelocks fom Cameraservice_worker partial wakelock anymore.
    Yesterday on a ride with my bike for 5 hours, I had nearly 1 hour wakelocks, and today with an over 1 hour walk no wakelocks anymore.
    I hope, that it will not return again. Is there anybody else, who can confirm that?
    Could be possible yes...

I've had sensors off most of the day while at work. Turned sensors back on when id finished
    I believe samsung heard you. It probably adjusted the shake sensor threshold.
    Yesterday after a short walk, on my note 20U with the august update there were fewer wakelocks than before from cameraservice_worker, but the battery was still draining and I noticed the BSS_Indisplaysensorhelper: P

Mate, just FYI, BSS_Indisplaysensor helper is the fingerprint icon on the AOD display. If you disable the icon under fingerprint settings (set to never show) the wakelock dissappears.

Another thing I have noticed, you have high bat usage from IMS Service wakelock. For me, my carrier automatically enrolled me in something called 'Rich Communications Suite'. (RCS)
    This is a setting under connections > more connection settings. What this does essentially, is allow large files and MMS messages to be sent within my carrier for free. BS stuff.

Nevertheless, disable rich communications and you will have way less wakelocks from IMS service. At least this was my experience.

Now, only the damn cameraservice_worker wakelock remains for to be fixed (Still no update yet)

Cheers mate and spread the love
    Ok, so today (thanks sunday) dig this issue further as too many discussion was going on but never experienced it as my S21U is just spared device and only using for development purpose.
    There are some good and bad news.
    • This seems intentional and to prevent camera motor sound while device isn't being used. I have doubt samsung gonna fix this
    • There can be some workaround/partial fix and may some good fix
    • Partial fix may have some compromisation like disable sensor at all while screen is off. This can be achieved with external app. Again there may be little drain for this app (Though should be negligible). App needs root.
    • Some system level fix (custom ROM) can be tried, I have tested one and result is attached in below screenshot. C=control (with stock) T= Test. In both tests, I couldn't find CamerService_wakelocks.
    Teseted1 for 9-10min walk + 2-3 min standby + some shaking - No wakelock detected
    Tested 2 with some semi manual changes - 5 min walk + some shake - No wake lock detected
    Restore stock and (control) and wakelocks returns.
    Important things to test are :
    • How much this makes difference practically
    • Does this breakes any camera/other important fuctions (Specifically when system level changes made)

Main drawback is either of method needs root. Still looking if some workaround there for non root but chances are thin.
    Yet needs some more and thorugh testing. Let's see how time permits.

Screenshot_20210606-201752.jpg Screenshot_20210606-224203.jpg Screenshot_20210606-223335.jpg Screenshot_20210606-222556.jpg
    Though not perfect but we can write some scripts (meanwhile Samsung fix it) that can turn off sensors while screen is off and vice versa when screen turns on.
    Which app to use or where to go to disable this wakelock?
    It's under development (testing) phase.
    Today tested effect of fix and with Sensor off method (Tool with Auto off sensor when screen is off) drain was nearly 2-3%, similar to turning off sensor manually (Benefit of fix is, it will do it on it's own, you don't needs to turn sensor On/off manually)
    Another fix is pretty cool (ROM level), No wakelocks at all. nearly 1 hr (10-15 min walk, 2-3 min screen on and rest of time in pocket in sitting position) battery drain was only 1% (attached screenshot). This fix doen't needs QS tile too.
    Unfortunately both needs root.