• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Cameraservice_worker partial wakelock

Search This thread
Went out for another 45 mins of walking with my phone in the pocket.

This time I even used it for some time. Made two NFC payments, one with the phone and one with the watch. Tried to replicate normal outdoor use as much as possible.

Battery is now down to 59% with around 3 hrs SOT, 11 Hrs 30 mins since unplugged in the morning.

BBS is attributing 2.7% battery to CameraService_worker wakelock with 18min26sec runtime and no of wake instances at 1855.

So far I've done very brisk outdoor walking for around 2 hours and this is where I stand. Tomorrow is a busy workday for me and I'll be out of home mostly. Will see if the numbers change appreciably with a longer time on foot. I'll try to post those screenshots tomorrow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210614-172252.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-172252.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20210614-172243.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-172243.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: jigna
Posting my logs at the end of the day.

16 hours since unplugged.

5 hours SOT.

37% battery remaining (I think I'll get another 2 to 2.5 hours SOT with continued usage, but I'm turning in for the night)

2 hours of brisk walking outdoors, around 16000 steps. Rest of the usage was indoors.

BBS screenshots attached.

CameraService_worker wakelock at 19 mins, 2089 wake-ups, 2% battery consumption.

Will see how tomorrow goes. Good night.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210614-220620.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-220620.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20210614-220629.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-220629.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20210614-222044_Samsung Health.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-222044_Samsung Health.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20210614-222144_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-222144_Device care.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 40

adamlee2012

Jun 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Posting my logs at the end of the day.

16 hours since unplugged.

5 hours SOT.

37% battery remaining (I think I'll get another 2 to 2.5 hours SOT with continued usage, but I'm turning in for the night)

2 hours of brisk walking outdoors, around 16000 steps. Rest of the usage was indoors.

BBS screenshots attached.

CameraService_worker wakelock at 19 mins, 2089 wake-ups, 2% battery consumption.

Will see how tomorrow goes. Good night.
Is that with the AUF2 update? Maybe it's slightly fixed. Looks like the N20U... Loads of Wakelocks but little drain.

adamlee2012

Jun 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I'm running auf2, I'm seeing the same drain as it was from Feb.

That's why I asked you what the app usage >> android settings >> camera wakelock values were from gsam on your phone? That's going to tell you what you % of drain the wakelock is.
I uninstalled it as that was using quite a bit of battery.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210614-191816_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-191816_Gallery.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 25

Goku1992

Feb 29, 2016
Dortmund
Also guys... I've come up with a way Samsung might listen or we might get their attention. I'm trying to get SAMMOBILE to write an article about the wakelock. Chances of Samsung seeing it are very high.
This is a nice idea mate! I also told dr ketan to send this to an xda Moderator to write something about this wakelock.... Hope we will see some progress

Reactions: ELp2

adamlee2012

Jun 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
This is a nice idea mate! I also told dr ketan to send this to an xda Moderator to write something about this wakelock.... Hope we will see some progress
I just need more People to get in touch with SAMMOBILE and attach the link to this thread when contacting them. So far they've not got back to me. I've got in touch via twitter and Facebook and I've literally just sent this email. So if you guys have just a few minutes to tweet them... Facebook message them... Email them, please do. Thanks. I've attached the email I've sent them. If you guys want to contact them yourself, the email address for SAMMOBILE is in the screenshot.
Screenshot_20210614-194901_Gmail.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ELp2

Goku1992

Feb 29, 2016
Dortmund
I just need more People to get in touch with SAMMOBILE and attach the link to this thread when contacting them. So far they've not got back to me. I've got in touch via twitter and Facebook and I've literally just sent this email. So if you guys have just a few minutes to tweet them... Facebook message them... Email them, please do. Thanks. I've attached the email I've sent them. If you guys want to contact them yourself, the email address for SAMMOBILE is in the screenshot.View attachment 5338341
Ive done the same

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210614-212050_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-212050_Samsung Internet.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: adamlee2012

ivicask

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
May 25, 2009
Zagreb
venomroms.com
Getting s21 ultra soon and was just reading this thread quickly, i wonder, did anyone try disabling Quick Start in Camera?Does S21 Ultra even have it?(Double press power to start camera)

This caused Wakelock on my s10+ on start but cleared with updates.

adamlee2012

Jun 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Getting s21 ultra soon and was just reading this thread quickly, i wonder, did anyone try disabling Quick Start in Camera?Does S21 Ultra even have it?(Double press power to start camera)

Are you the guy I saw on Reddit and I posted this link? We have tried everything. We need Samsung to fix via software update.

jigna

Dec 16, 2010
I uninstalled it as that was using quite a bit of battery.
The standard battery monitor doesn't show the wakelock data. That's why this issue is really only detected by "power users" who have BBS or GSAM installed. BBS seems to show the % directly on the stats, but GSAM, you need to do a little math to get the %.

Steps for GSAM:
1) Get your total % drain (how much has dropped from 100%) example: 35%
2) Get the App Usage stat. Example 71%
3) Click on App Usage, get the Android System stat. Example 15%
IMPORTANT: For the purpose of this calculation, you can make the ASSUMPTION (even though not entirely right) that 15% Android System usage is ALL due to the camera wakelock.

Once you have the stats, calculate wakelock drain by:
1) Total Battery Drain (35%) / 100 * App Usage (71%) = App Usage Drain (25%) <== this value is % drain from apps (incl wakelocks)
2) App Usage Drain (25%) / 100 * Android System (15%) = Wakelock Drain (4%)
3) So the camera wakelock is 4% of the total 35% used. NOTE: I rounded my numbers up, it should really be 3-3.5%

I think it's AWESOME to get sammobile and xda attention, but I urge people to PLEASE get the right % and not be "inflating" it by just looking at App Usage value or the high volume of wakelock counted. There is DEFINITELY a problem, but we should be reporting ACCURATE (or close to) data so that the media and users don't look foolish.

I've disabled double tap for camera months ago. Not for the wakelock, but i just didn't need the feature. Maybe it helped...? Hard to say.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello guys just an update:
    Since updating my phone to the AUHB August patch, for me I'm happy to say that this wakelock seems a lot less frequent :D!

I can finally use my phone like how it's meant to be used. And I finally have face unlock functional again! (Previously couldn't work as sensors were off)

What is the situation with you guys? Is anyone still having this wakelock a lot?
    Could be possible yes...

I've had sensors off most of the day while at work. Turned sensors back on when id finished
    I believe samsung heard you. It probably adjusted the shake sensor threshold.
    Yesterday after a short walk, on my note 20U with the august update there were fewer wakelocks than before from cameraservice_worker, but the battery was still draining and I noticed the BSS_Indisplaysensorhelper: P

Mate, just FYI, BSS_Indisplaysensor helper is the fingerprint icon on the AOD display. If you disable the icon under fingerprint settings (set to never show) the wakelock dissappears.

Another thing I have noticed, you have high bat usage from IMS Service wakelock. For me, my carrier automatically enrolled me in something called 'Rich Communications Suite'. (RCS)
    This is a setting under connections > more connection settings. What this does essentially, is allow large files and MMS messages to be sent within my carrier for free. BS stuff.

Nevertheless, disable rich communications and you will have way less wakelocks from IMS service. At least this was my experience.

Now, only the damn cameraservice_worker wakelock remains for to be fixed (Still no update yet)

Cheers mate and spread the love
    Hello guys just an update:
    Since updating my phone to the AUHB August patch, for me I'm happy to say that this wakelock seems a lot less frequent :D!

I can finally use my phone like how it's meant to be used. And I finally have face unlock functional again! (Previously couldn't work as sensors were off)

What is the situation with you guys? Is anyone still having this wakelock a lot?
    It's still there but drain is less 👍
    Wow, I think you just saved my ass. Disabled those little buggers just now and I will probably be fine. Can't thank you enough!!
    And for the cameraservice_worker wakelock, as Dr. Ketan said, there could be a chance for it to be fixed with the android 12 and oneUI 4 updates, fingers crossed!!
    Cheers!!
    It's kinda already been fixed I think in AUHB update, I was moving around a lot at work today and it doesn't drain as much, it's now like the note 20 ultra, it exists but drain is way less ☺️ happy S21U owner now ! I can rely on my battery to last all day even when out walking and moving.
    Ok, so today (thanks sunday) dig this issue further as too many discussion was going on but never experienced it as my S21U is just spared device and only using for development purpose.
    There are some good and bad news.
    • This seems intentional and to prevent camera motor sound while device isn't being used. I have doubt samsung gonna fix this
    • There can be some workaround/partial fix and may some good fix
    • Partial fix may have some compromisation like disable sensor at all while screen is off. This can be achieved with external app. Again there may be little drain for this app (Though should be negligible). App needs root.
    • Some system level fix (custom ROM) can be tried, I have tested one and result is attached in below screenshot. C=control (with stock) T= Test. In both tests, I couldn't find CamerService_wakelocks.
    Teseted1 for 9-10min walk + 2-3 min standby + some shaking - No wakelock detected
    Tested 2 with some semi manual changes - 5 min walk + some shake - No wake lock detected
    Restore stock and (control) and wakelocks returns.
    Important things to test are :
    • How much this makes difference practically
    • Does this breakes any camera/other important fuctions (Specifically when system level changes made)

Main drawback is either of method needs root. Still looking if some workaround there for non root but chances are thin.
    Yet needs some more and thorugh testing. Let's see how time permits.

Screenshot_20210606-201752.jpg Screenshot_20210606-224203.jpg Screenshot_20210606-223335.jpg Screenshot_20210606-222556.jpg
    Though not perfect but we can write some scripts (meanwhile Samsung fix it) that can turn off sensors while screen is off and vice versa when screen turns on.
    Which app to use or where to go to disable this wakelock?
    It's under development (testing) phase.
    Today tested effect of fix and with Sensor off method (Tool with Auto off sensor when screen is off) drain was nearly 2-3%, similar to turning off sensor manually (Benefit of fix is, it will do it on it's own, you don't needs to turn sensor On/off manually)
    Another fix is pretty cool (ROM level), No wakelocks at all. nearly 1 hr (10-15 min walk, 2-3 min screen on and rest of time in pocket in sitting position) battery drain was only 1% (attached screenshot). This fix doen't needs QS tile too.
    Unfortunately both needs root.