• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Cameraservice_worker partial wakelock

Search This thread

joloxx9joloxx9

Jul 6, 2011
You guys should try leaving power-saving mode with only the 70% CPU toggle ON all the time.
Turn that off if you're editing video on the phone or something.
See if that helps and report back?
First - turning off functions is not an solution, no doubt.

Second - I use power saving at work and have still have drain etc

adamlee2012

Jun 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
It's got quite a lot of attention on Reddit. We are on to something. 👍

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210615-214344_Reddit.jpg
    Screenshot_20210615-214344_Reddit.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 110
Reactions: Goku1992

adamlee2012

Jun 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Today at home my battery has been ok. Not amazingly good but good. Let's check it tomorrow while I'm at work 😂.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210615-215710_GSam Battery Monitor.jpg
    Screenshot_20210615-215710_GSam Battery Monitor.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Screenshot_20210615-215714_GSam Battery Monitor.jpg
    Screenshot_20210615-215714_GSam Battery Monitor.jpg
    729.1 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot_20210615-215727_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20210615-215727_Device care.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: Quazza

jigna

Dec 16, 2010
Not amazingly good but good.
Based on your screenshots, the camera wakelock is accountable for 3.4% of the overall power drain on your phone.

EDIT: I should say it's UP TO 3.4%. Your IMS wakelock is a bigger part of that drain than the camera issue. The camera issue will likely be ~1% of the total drain if you remove the IMS wakelock from the equation.

Last edited:

GCrane1982

Nov 29, 2016
I was carrying on about this issue pretty much as soon as I got my S21U earlier this year and got the same response from Samsung Support back then that it was to do with the camera shake AF. After reviewing this post recently I decided to reinstall GSAM.

Since 8am this morning I am down 30% battery with 45 mins screen on time.

App Usage = 66% (19.8% of actual battery)

Android System = 18% (4% of actual battery)
Outlook = 7%
Kerbal (Android OS) = 6.5%

CameraSerice_Worker 4.3m (120)
IMSService 3.4m (16)

russcausier

Mar 28, 2011
I never looked into anything but when at work in the community battery drain was a lot worse than on days off!!seems a lot better since I turned sensors off whilst at work

joloxx9joloxx9

Jul 6, 2011
Trying the trick with disabling sensors and for God's sake! Battery is much better, 4g+ battery saving got 2h of sot at work 5k steps no wakelock and 70% bat left, usually was at 50% at this point of a day. Cmon Samsung stop being useless and fix it or give us option to disable it!

Reactions: ELp2

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Samsung knows exactly what they're doing. It's just like Apple; it's called "planned obsolescence"
From a US perspective:

Now, Apple has changed their ways significantly.
The iPhone 5s from 2013 is still getting security updates. 8 year old phone.
The iPhone 6s from 2015 is still getting OS updates. 6 year old phone.

Pixels and Samsung Galaxies are the longest lasting and supported Androids -- and even they don't reasonably last past 4 years in usability. And, no, you knowing how to flash a custom ROM on a 4 year old Android doesn't count as extending usability. Regular folks can't do that for a myriad of reasons.

At this rate, an iPhone 12 will probably be supported for an entire decade!

Meanwhile, our S21Us will lose support by 2025, at which point I'm seriously considering getting an iPhone because I guess they'll have fixed many of the issues wrong with them: USB-C, better screen, DeX-like features, etc.

There are 3 things that enable Apple to do this, while it continues to maintain 30%+ margins:
(1) App Store monopoly's revenue stream -- that 15-30% cut on everything from App purchases to subscription purchases
(2) Control of the design entire hardware stack -- This makes it cheaper for them to perform long-term maintenance.
(3) Moving the goal post for the next cool gadget you should have: Apple Watches, AirPods, etc. are selling and their high costs are paying for software updates on iPhones, in a way.

Number (1) may be getting gutted by the US and other major governments, as it should be in my opinion.
Number (2) can only be achieved in the Android world by some real game-theory cooperation. Samsung, Microsoft, Google, AMD, Intel, Qualcomm, etc. all engage in passive-aggressive competition while Apple eats their lunch in the consumer market. This needs to change.
Number (3) points to something interesting about Apple: the moneyed/richer/spendthrift Apple customers are paying for the software updates of customers who don't like to spend a dime after having bought their phones.

And, think about this for a second: Google literally pays Apple $10bn+/year to remain the default search engine on Apple's devices among other things. Plus, it spends money on iOS software development. That should tell you how much it cares. While Apple rolls out features like ID and Keys on your iPhone, Google sleeps and pays an yearly tribute to its lord and master: APPLE, INC..

Software developers in the US are also sick of supporting different devices. My company makes a medical device app and only pledges to support Pixels, Samsung Galaxy S, and iPhones. We support everything made in 2015 and onwards, but only these 3 phone lines.

Apple continues to block the development of PWAs because they are a threat to their business models. They literally block anything but WebKit on their platform. How should that even be legal?

There was no way for the average person in 2016 to know that an iPhone 6S Plus would be supported for a whole lot longer than a Pixel XL. Things were changing fast.

OEMs, including Apple, will simply have to accept that this isn't 2015 anymore and that 30%+ profit margins are gone. This is a matured industry and you really can't expect more than 10-15% profit margins any more. This is partly caused by longer-lasting hardware.

In certain ways, Android is 5 to 10 years behind Apple on: easy local app data backups, built-in messaging platform, Apple Wallet, etc. It is improving on this front though.

The Average Joe and Josephine talk about the longevity of Apple's iPhones and iPads. Apple's MacBooks are another story. I'm never trusting those again beyond buying a refurbished entry-level model.

But, longevity = Apple iPhone. Not question about it.

Plus, after the batterygate fiasco, Apple implemented a predictive 80% charge limiter which significantly extended the battery lifespan of their phones. Pixels have something similar but not as good to be honest. Samsung Galaxies have completely disregarded this feature.

That "Peak Performance Management" is a good thing today. My grandpa's 7 year old iPhone 5S is still functional and never needed a battery change because it down-throttles all the hardware to ensure that sudden shutdowns don't happen. Plus, the 80% overnight limiter helped.

I can't get Samsung to implement a simple "BYPASS CHARGING" toggle to improve the longevity of this phone's battery. So many people have complained about this. If we can set a Bixby Routine to cut off battery charging at a desired battery level, your battery would not lose much capacity over the course of the 4 years of ownership. But, alas, Samsuck would rather have you keep buying more mega ultra deluxe phones.

They'll only learn once they lose market share and by then, it'll be too late. RIP SAMSUCK.

Reactions: enigmaamit

adamlee2012

Jun 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
From a US perspective:

Pixels and Samsung Galaxies are the longest lasting and supported Androids -- and even they don't reasonably last past 4 years in usability. And, no, you knowing how to flash a custom ROM on a 4 year old Android doesn't count as extending usability. Regular folks can't do that for a myriad of reasons.

Meanwhile, our S21Us will lose support by 2025, at which point I'm seriously considering getting an iPhone because I guess they'll have fixed many of the issues wrong with them: USB-C, better screen, DeX-like features, etc.

There are 3 things that enable Apple to do this, while it continues to maintain 30%+ margins:
(1) App Store monopoly's revenue stream -- that 15-30% cut on everything from App purchases to subscription purchases
(2) Control of the design entire hardware stack -- This makes it cheaper for them to perform long-term maintenance.
(3) Moving the goal post for the next cool gadget you should have: Apple Watches, AirPods, etc. are selling and their high costs are paying for software updates on iPhones, in a way.

Number (1) may be getting gutted by the US and other major governments, as it should be in my opinion.
Number (2) can only be achieved in the Android world by some real game-theory cooperation. Samsung, Microsoft, Google, AMD, Intel, Qualcomm, etc. all engage in passive-aggressive competition while Apple eats their lunch in the consumer market. This needs to change.
Number (3) points to something interesting about Apple: the moneyed/richer/spendthrift Apple customers are paying for the software updates of customers who don't like to spend a dime after having bought their phones.

And, think about this for a second: Google literally pays Apple $10bn+/year to remain the default search engine on Apple's devices among other things. Plus, it spends money on iOS software development. That should tell you how much it cares. While Apple rolls out features like ID and Keys on your iPhone, Google sleeps and pays an yearly tribute to its lord and master: APPLE, INC..

Software developers in the US are also sick of supporting different devices. My company makes a medical device app and only pledges to support Pixels, Samsung Galaxy S, and iPhones. We support everything made in 2015 and onwards, but only these 3 phone lines.

Apple continues to block the development of PWAs because they are a threat to their business models. They literally block anything but WebKit on their platform. How should that even be legal?

There was no way for the average person in 2016 to know that an iPhone 6S Plus would be supported for a whole lot longer than a Pixel XL. Things were changing fast.

OEMs, including Apple, will simply have to accept that this isn't 2015 anymore and that 30%+ profit margins are gone. This is a matured industry and you really can't expect more than 10-15% profit margins any more. This is partly caused by longer-lasting hardware.

In certain ways, Android is 5 to 10 years behind Apple on: easy local app data backups, built-in messaging platform, Apple Wallet, etc. It is improving on this front though.

The Average Joe and Josephine talk about the longevity of Apple's iPhones and iPads. Apple's MacBooks are another story. I'm never trusting those again beyond buying a refurbished entry-level model.

Plus, after the batterygate fiasco, Apple implemented a predictive 80% charge limiter which significantly extended the battery lifespan of their phones. Pixels have something similar but not as good to be honest. Samsung Galaxies have completely disregarded this feature.

That "Peak Performance Management" is a good thing today. My grandpa's 7 year old iPhone 5S is still functional and never needed a battery change because it down-throttles all the hardware to ensure that sudden shutdowns don't happen. Plus, the 80% overnight limiter helped.

I can't get Samsung to implement a simple "BYPASS CHARGING" toggle to improve the longevity of this phone's battery. So many people have complained about this. If we can set a Bixby Routine to cut off battery charging at a desired battery level, your battery would not lose much capacity over the course of the 4 years of ownership. But, alas, Samsuck would rather have you keep buying more mega ultra deluxe phones.

They'll only learn once they lose market share and by then, it'll be too late. RIP SAMSUCK.
Samsung have already implemented battery longevity feature. Samsung phones don't charge to 100% there capacity. Mine charges to 4539mah out of 4855/5000mah 5000mah is the typical capacity, 4855 is the rated minimum capacity.

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Samsung have already implemented battery longevity feature. Samsung phones don't charge to 100% there capacity. Mine charges to 4539mah out of 4855/5000mah 5000mah is the typical capacity, 4855 is the rated minimum capacity.
How did you measure this?
We need to get clarity from Samsung about this.
Did you look at the source and see the 93% full_state_soc?
80% would be the minimum gold-standard for battery protection.
Look at my thread here, please: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-batteries-in-the-s-and-other-series.4284787/

Last edited:
Something like this would be nice to have. May I ask how you got these numbers?

chungdae

Jun 18, 2014
From a US perspective:

We're all sheep in the end that use their phones. It is what it is.

Reactions: Jake2kOne

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    On beta 1 gsam wouldn't read the battery stats so couldn't check the wakelock but knew it was there because standby while moving was really bad. I'm now on October patch and camera service is usually 3rd on the list of wakelock.
    On beta it is very similar like old vesion, plaenty of wakelocks
    On Aug-Oct Patch Android 11, it is better and less wakelocks
    Hey guys, it seems that Samsung changed something with the cameraservice_worker-partial-wakelock. In October patch (did a clean install cause i was on beta 1) and standby is even better now. Dont know if it is Placebo cause the beta wasnt as good. Can anyone confirm?
    On beta 1 gsam wouldn't read the battery stats so couldn't check the wakelock but knew it was there because standby while moving was really bad. I'm now on October patch and camera service is usually 3rd on the list of wakelock.
    Ok, so today (thanks sunday) dig this issue further as too many discussion was going on but never experienced it as my S21U is just spared device and only using for development purpose.
    There are some good and bad news.
    • This seems intentional and to prevent camera motor sound while device isn't being used. I have doubt samsung gonna fix this
    • There can be some workaround/partial fix and may some good fix
    • Partial fix may have some compromisation like disable sensor at all while screen is off. This can be achieved with external app. Again there may be little drain for this app (Though should be negligible). App needs root.
    • Some system level fix (custom ROM) can be tried, I have tested one and result is attached in below screenshot. C=control (with stock) T= Test. In both tests, I couldn't find CamerService_wakelocks.
    Teseted1 for 9-10min walk + 2-3 min standby + some shaking - No wakelock detected
    Tested 2 with some semi manual changes - 5 min walk + some shake - No wake lock detected
    Restore stock and (control) and wakelocks returns.
    Important things to test are :
    • How much this makes difference practically
    • Does this breakes any camera/other important fuctions (Specifically when system level changes made)

Main drawback is either of method needs root. Still looking if some workaround there for non root but chances are thin.
    Yet needs some more and thorugh testing. Let's see how time permits.

Screenshot_20210606-201752.jpg Screenshot_20210606-224203.jpg Screenshot_20210606-223335.jpg Screenshot_20210606-222556.jpg
    Though not perfect but we can write some scripts (meanwhile Samsung fix it) that can turn off sensors while screen is off and vice versa when screen turns on.
    Which app to use or where to go to disable this wakelock?
    It's under development (testing) phase.
    Today tested effect of fix and with Sensor off method (Tool with Auto off sensor when screen is off) drain was nearly 2-3%, similar to turning off sensor manually (Benefit of fix is, it will do it on it's own, you don't needs to turn sensor On/off manually)
    Another fix is pretty cool (ROM level), No wakelocks at all. nearly 1 hr (10-15 min walk, 2-3 min screen on and rest of time in pocket in sitting position) battery drain was only 1% (attached screenshot). This fix doen't needs QS tile too.
    Unfortunately both needs root.