• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Cameraservice_worker partial wakelock

Search This thread

Amar1992

Jun 3, 2021
Just appeared here in Germany. AUF6, that's a completely new one, right, or is it just country related?
Screenshot_20210618-060019_Software update.jpg

The camera wakelock still occurs with this update.
I think it will take some more time to get fixed even if Samsung acknowledges the issue. This news is getting attention only now. For them to identify the issue and deploy a workaround might take a few iterations of code cleanup/alteration.

Of course I'm only guessing... but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Goku1992

Feb 29, 2016
Dortmund
AUF6 doesnt change something regarding cameraservice_worker-partial-wakelock i can confirm this.... Hopefully the next Update will fix this. But this Problem is posted on many sites now so i think Samsung will do something...

adamlee2012

Jun 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
AUF6 doesnt change something regarding cameraservice_worker-partial-wakelock i can confirm this.... Hopefully the next Update will fix this. But this Problem is posted on many sites now so i think Samsung will do something...
Agree. Samsung have to fix it now it's gone viral. They only applied this wakelock because of the number of people complaining about camera rattle. Which is completely normal. How about an option to turn it off in settings.

Reactions: Goku1992

adamlee2012

Jun 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
The camera still rattles with this wakelock issue so I doubt that's why they added it.
Hey Adam! Thanks for sending a message over to us, we hope you're doing well today!

If you moved or walked, the CameraService_worker would have been activated. This function is applied to prevent camera shaking noise. In the camera off situation, when motion is detected using the acceleration sensor it will activate the camera AF sequence. In this case, wake lock is applied so it does not go to sleep mode The maintenance time of this function after shaking occurs is about 3 ~ 12 seconds.

This function is applied to prevent camera shaking noise. Please keep it as it is. ^ZL

Da1e7150

Apr 23, 2021
Well the camera still rattles if you shake it lol so it's not doing what they want it to do then anyway
Hey Adam! Thanks for sending a message over to us, we hope you're doing well today!

If you moved or walked, the CameraService_worker would have been activated. This function is applied to prevent camera shaking noise. In the camera off situation, when motion is detected using the acceleration sensor it will activate the camera AF sequence. In this case, wake lock is applied so it does not go to sleep mode The maintenance time of this function after shaking occurs is about 3 ~ 12 seconds.

This function is applied to prevent camera shaking noise. Please keep it as it is. ^ZL

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Hi @adamlee2012 . May I ask how you found this out?
I'm guessing this is how, maybe?:

How did you measure this?
We need to get clarity from Samsung about this.
Did you look at the source and see the 93% full_state_soc?
80% would be the minimum gold-standard for battery protection.
Look at my thread here, please: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-batteries-in-the-s-and-other-series.4284787/

Orginator

Aug 15, 2011
Berlin
I sure hope that Samsung will let us decide whenever we want the "CameraService_worker" feature active or not.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210621-235642_GSam Battery Monitor Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20210621-235642_GSam Battery Monitor Pro.jpg
    752.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot_20210621-235646_GSam Battery Monitor Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20210621-235646_GSam Battery Monitor Pro.jpg
    583.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot_20210621-235653_GSam Battery Monitor Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20210621-235653_GSam Battery Monitor Pro.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 89

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    On beta 1 gsam wouldn't read the battery stats so couldn't check the wakelock but knew it was there because standby while moving was really bad. I'm now on October patch and camera service is usually 3rd on the list of wakelock.
    On beta it is very similar like old vesion, plaenty of wakelocks
    On Aug-Oct Patch Android 11, it is better and less wakelocks
    Hey guys, it seems that Samsung changed something with the cameraservice_worker-partial-wakelock. In October patch (did a clean install cause i was on beta 1) and standby is even better now. Dont know if it is Placebo cause the beta wasnt as good. Can anyone confirm?
    On beta 1 gsam wouldn't read the battery stats so couldn't check the wakelock but knew it was there because standby while moving was really bad. I'm now on October patch and camera service is usually 3rd on the list of wakelock.
    Ok, so today (thanks sunday) dig this issue further as too many discussion was going on but never experienced it as my S21U is just spared device and only using for development purpose.
    There are some good and bad news.
    • This seems intentional and to prevent camera motor sound while device isn't being used. I have doubt samsung gonna fix this
    • There can be some workaround/partial fix and may some good fix
    • Partial fix may have some compromisation like disable sensor at all while screen is off. This can be achieved with external app. Again there may be little drain for this app (Though should be negligible). App needs root.
    • Some system level fix (custom ROM) can be tried, I have tested one and result is attached in below screenshot. C=control (with stock) T= Test. In both tests, I couldn't find CamerService_wakelocks.
    Teseted1 for 9-10min walk + 2-3 min standby + some shaking - No wakelock detected
    Tested 2 with some semi manual changes - 5 min walk + some shake - No wake lock detected
    Restore stock and (control) and wakelocks returns.
    Important things to test are :
    • How much this makes difference practically
    • Does this breakes any camera/other important fuctions (Specifically when system level changes made)

Main drawback is either of method needs root. Still looking if some workaround there for non root but chances are thin.
    Yet needs some more and thorugh testing. Let's see how time permits.

Screenshot_20210606-201752.jpg Screenshot_20210606-224203.jpg Screenshot_20210606-223335.jpg Screenshot_20210606-222556.jpg
    Though not perfect but we can write some scripts (meanwhile Samsung fix it) that can turn off sensors while screen is off and vice versa when screen turns on.
    Which app to use or where to go to disable this wakelock?
    It's under development (testing) phase.
    Today tested effect of fix and with Sensor off method (Tool with Auto off sensor when screen is off) drain was nearly 2-3%, similar to turning off sensor manually (Benefit of fix is, it will do it on it's own, you don't needs to turn sensor On/off manually)
    Another fix is pretty cool (ROM level), No wakelocks at all. nearly 1 hr (10-15 min walk, 2-3 min screen on and rest of time in pocket in sitting position) battery drain was only 1% (attached screenshot). This fix doen't needs QS tile too.
    Unfortunately both needs root.