Question Cameraservice_worker partial wakelock

mtm1401

Apr 10, 2018
Looks like some sensor has gone cuckoo...
My money is on it being the OIS waking something up when it rattles around, hence why it's not being seen on non-ois devices.

Looking at the updated note thread posted by OP, if you disable sensors in developer options then the wakelock goes away.... but you also lose the camera until you turn it back on o_O

Last edited:

jigna

Dec 16, 2010
Yea that was me that posted the sensor off, but the trade off with no camera is a big one. Also I noticed the double tap to wake was slightly slower and no FP target shows up on the lockscreen. Didn't look much further to see what other functions were affected

Edit: just found another sensor impact - auto rotate. YouTube won't go to full screen automatically with sensors off

Last edited:
Reactions: mtm1401

amirage

Sep 1, 2010
Dubai
My money is on it being the OIS waking something up when it rattles around, hence why it's not being seen on non-ois devices.

Looking at the updated note thread posted by OP, if you disable sensors in developer options then the wakelock goes away.... but you also lose the camera until you turn it back on o_O
I really wonder what is this "camera improvement" that Samsung claims with every new update of late...is it this wakelock?

eljazira

Jan 13, 2012
same prob here, Updated to 3.1, and the problem still persists.
My theory is that it's related to google play services in this path:
Some unknown setting/bug is using the Motion Sensor to sense activity/motion
the pathway:
THE BUG??>>>Google Play Services>>Motion Sensor>>alarm_wakeup_activity_detection>>Cameraservice_worker wakelock wakes the phone

+ I've sent my error to Samsung in Samsung members, they said that they forwarded it to the international team.

Last edited:

hsienjuen

Jan 16, 2012
the pathway:
THE BUG??>>>Google Play Services>>Motion Sensor>>alarm_wakeup_activity_detection>>Cameraservice_worker wakelock wakes the phone

+ I've sent my error to Samsung in Samsung members, they said that they forwarded it to the international team.
Hopefully it' gets addressed.. as of now as another member mentioned, the only way for me to stop the wakelock from appearing is by disabling all sensors. If not my battery just drains while in my pocket while I'm at work

mtm1401

Apr 10, 2018
the pathway:

How did you find that pathway out of interest? I've only ever seen it under android system.

Fyi tried blocking Google play services access to camera and body sensors (won't let you block physical activity) and that didn't make a difference. Also tried removing background activity from 2 IMS services in apps but to no avail :(

eljazira

Jan 13, 2012
How did you find that pathway out of interest? I've only ever seen it under android system.

Fyi tried blocking Google play services access to camera and body sensors (won't let you block physical activity) and that didn't make a difference. Also tried removing background activity from 2 IMS services in apps but to no avail :(
I used BBTS and this is my assumption.. I have no idea if they are related at all but what I know for sure is that google play services is using my motion sensor all the time + this wakelock is present every time I move with my phone - so they might be related.

I did the same, wish to find a way to disable physical activity

eljazira

Jan 13, 2012
Hopefully it' gets addressed.. as of now as another member mentioned, the only way for me to stop the wakelock from appearing is by disabling all sensors. If not my battery just drains while in my pocket while I'm at work
I tried that but then other wakelocks appeared!

amirage

Sep 1, 2010
Dubai
Samsung just haven't bothered responding to my error reports which is a bit rude o_O
This wakelock is more to do with the phone being kept in the pocket than actually moving around with the phone. In other words, if you were walking and are holding the phone in your hand..you won't notice this app creeping up in the battery usage...I tested it out and found that the issue is more prevalent when phone kept in the pocket than when you actually hold it in your hand...

mtm1401

Apr 10, 2018
This wakelock is more to do with the phone being kept in the pocket than actually moving around with the phone. In other words, if you were walking and are holding the phone in your hand..you won't notice this app creeping up in the battery usage...I tested it out and found that the issue is more prevalent when phone kept in the pocket than when you actually hold it in your hand...
I did some testing and it definitely does go up if you just shake the phone, regardless of being in your pocket.

I think when you're walking with the phone in your pocket, screen is always off and the phone is moving, if you hold it in your hand, either the screen is on, or you're not moving it around as much (i.e. you arm acts as a damper to the movement).

Look at how many times the wakelock has occurred, turn off the screen, then shake your phone for a minute, you'll see it jumps up massively

amirage

Sep 1, 2010
Dubai
I did some testing and it definitely does go up if you just shake the phone, regardless of being in your pocket.

I think when you're walking with the phone in your pocket, screen is always off and the phone is moving, if you hold it in your hand, either the screen is on, or you're not moving it around as much (i.e. you arm acts as a damper to the movement).

Look at how many times the wakelock has occurred, turn off the screen, then shake your phone for a minute, you'll see it jumps up massively
Yes, you are correct..I repeated the test today...and it seems to spike with the slightest movement...Total garbage system...

jigna

Dec 16, 2010
March patch installed, can still trigger the wakelock :( Let's see what next month brings

Wonder if those running custom roms have this issue.

amirage

Sep 1, 2010
Dubai
March patch installed, can still trigger the wakelock :( Let's see what next month brings

Wonder if those running custom roms have this issue.
D-OH! It's something to do with the OIS so I really don't think any number of software updates would solve this matter

mtm1401

Apr 10, 2018
D-OH! It's something to do with the OIS so I really don't think any number of software updates would solve this matter
I'm no developer, but if it is OIS related, how difficult is it to write a piece of code that says;

if screen = 'off' then OIS sensor = 'off' ;)

You can hear the OIS bouncing around when the phone is off so I can't imagine it's 'on' when the screen is off, just that it's triggering some sensor