Question Cameraservice_worker partial wakelock

Search This thread

jigna

Dec 16, 2010
Samsung replied to my bug report..
They ignored thia wakelock and just recommended various battery saving option that did nothing.
yea i doubt there's an easy fix for it. It probably needs to be raised to the likes of mrwhosetheboss or mkbhd to make raise any actual eyebrows

mtm1401

Apr 10, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I doubt it's ois, otherwise it would affect all galaxies. I installed gsam on my partner's s20+ and no issues. Does anyone have a normal s21 or plus and see this issue?

It only seems to be prevalent on the Note 20 ultra and the S21 ultra (that I've seen) and I think they have different camera setups to the s20 etc. For example can you hear the OIS rattle in the S20+ if you shake it?

NeidRider

Jan 26, 2009
Just to let you know, I got an update yesterday, AUBB, and the phone is like transformed!
Before I never got past 2h of SoT, now I have an hour already and still almost 80% battery left.
I hope it stays like that...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210305-164858_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20210305-164858_Device care.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 49

Goku1992

Feb 29, 2016
Dortmund
I have very god battery life since zhe begining but knowing standby time would a good amount better without this wakelock is bad...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210306-013806_GSam Battery Monitor Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20210306-013806_GSam Battery Monitor Pro.jpg
    559.5 KB · Views: 52

jigna

Dec 16, 2010
I received this from Samsung responding to my error log submitted in Samsung Members app.

===

Thank you for your patience whilst we analysed the error report file that you sent to us. The research and development team have advised the following:

This function is applied to prevent camera shaking noise. In the camera off situation, when the motion is detected using the acceleration sensor it will activate the camera AF sequence. In this case, wake lock is applied so it does not go to sleep mode. The maintenance time of this function after shaking occurs is about 3 ~ 12 seconds.

This function is applied to prevent camera shaking noise. Please keep it as is.

===

I replied saying it's unacceptable and they responded requesting a more detailed error report which runs for 2-3 mins OR go into a samsung store to get it done personally. I've booked a visit for March 31

Goku1992

Feb 29, 2016
Dortmund
I received this from Samsung responding to my error log submitted in Samsung Members app.

===

Thank you for your patience whilst we analysed the error report file that you sent to us. The research and development team have advised the following:

This function is applied to prevent camera shaking noise. In the camera off situation, when the motion is detected using the acceleration sensor it will activate the camera AF sequence. In this case, wake lock is applied so it does not go to sleep mode. The maintenance time of this function after shaking occurs is about 3 ~ 12 seconds.

===

I replied saying it's unacceptable and they responded requesting a more detailed error report which runs for 2-3 mins OR go into a samsung store to get it done personally. I've booked a visit for March 31
Thanks mate, you are also helping us with this! :)

mtm1401

Apr 10, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

===

===

Nice, it's bizarre because you can still hear the camera shaking around so it's not even that effective :/

eljazira

Jan 13, 2012
This wakelock has to stop or at least be a feature we can disable.
This feature is actually using our sensors to detect movement
Then it wakes the phone to run th camera AF system just that we wouldn't hear the rattling camera sound.

I reported this in Samsung members.. Is there a place we can request samsung to fix in an upcoming update?

jigna

Dec 16, 2010
I reported this in Samsung members.. Is there a place we can request samsung to fix in an upcoming update?

If enough people report it and/or it makes enough public noise for them, they'd have to look at prioritising a fix. But I doubt this is widely known given that it's only really technical people who have installed a battery monitoring app that will see the wakelock values

Goku1992

Feb 29, 2016
Dortmund
If enough people report it and/or it makes enough public noise for them, they'd have to look at prioritising a fix. But I doubt this is widely known given that it's only really technical people who have installed a battery monitoring app that will see the wakelock values
But how can i report it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So if I understand this correctly it basically means -

Proximity sensor is always on and can wake soc, regardless of whether you're actually making a call or not (or using the phone at all)

And this is standard behaviour and unlikely that it would be changed - if this is the case, how come I've never seen it on another phone? My S10 for example
    Honestly, I don't know (yet). This is something worthy to reconcile and revisit my understanding of the documentation.

Update: Did further reading and it seems that S10 suffers buggy (less sensitive to non-working) proximity sensor based on this thread. I suspect Samsung used a binary type proximity sensor for this device - this type triggers wakelock significantly less frequent but is less sensitive. If not, maybe Samsung didn't follow Google's advise to set proximity sensor as a wake-up sensor.
    Here's what I found.

It's the proximity sensor being used during call and my understanding is it's unavoidable for devices that implement this feature.

It is a common misconception that sensors stopped sensing/detecting when no applications are using them but it's actually not; they continue to work regardless. They only stopped when Sensors Off QS tile is enabled and turned-on.

Sensor types are either wake-up(i.e. wakes up the SoC by itself) or non-wake-up (doesn't wake SoC). Most common sensors are non-wake-up except the proximity sensor - it's a wake-up type because it's the one being used to turn the screen on or off while in call unless such feature is not implemented in the device.

Proximity sensor's reporting mode is on-change* - thus as long as it's detecting changes in distance of the closest visible surface it will keep waking up the SoC.

*there are four types of sensors reporting modes, the most common are continuous and on-change.

Main references:
    worse/ how much worse is it?
    I don't think it's any worse. I'm getting about the same maybe less than before. Either way it's still there and there's no fix in sight. I've uninstalled gsam and probably won't bother wasting my time with Samsung store to get them to get the logs tomorrow.
    Exactly my point. That's why i was concerned coz i used the cam, for that exact time, maybe more too.

Maybe it is an issue for some but i didn't notice it did anything.

Let's see
    If you are up for an experiment...all you have to do it is put the phone in your pocket and walk around say for 5-10 mins..note the wakelock before and after..If there's no difference, you are absolutely lucky and should consider taking national lottery..else you can fume like the rest of us ;)
    for me, the main problem is ImsService

Cameraservice_worker is ok
    That can be easily solved...disable VoLTE...voila!
    So if I understand this correctly it basically means -

Proximity sensor is always on and can wake soc, regardless of whether you're actually making a call or not (or using the phone at all)

And this is standard behaviour and unlikely that it would be changed - if this is the case, how come I've never seen it on another phone? My S10 for example
    Honestly, I don't know (yet). This is something worthy to reconcile and revisit my understanding of the documentation.

Update: Did further reading and it seems that S10 suffers buggy (less sensitive to non-working) proximity sensor based on this thread. I suspect Samsung used a binary type proximity sensor for this device - this type triggers wakelock significantly less frequent but is less sensitive. If not, maybe Samsung didn't follow Google's advise to set proximity sensor as a wake-up sensor.
    same prob here, Updated to 3.1, and the problem still persists.
    My theory is that it's related to google play services in this path:
    Some unknown setting/bug is using the Motion Sensor to sense activity/motion
    the pathway:
    THE BUG??>>>Google Play Services>>Motion Sensor>>alarm_wakeup_activity_detection>>Cameraservice_worker wakelock wakes the phone

+ I've sent my error to Samsung in Samsung members, they said that they forwarded it to the international team.
    Yes, that seems the way to go..and/ or go to a Samsung service centre..get a hold of a service advisor (preferably a male, the reason to follow)...hold the advisor by the scruff of his neck and show him the BBS stats. If he doesn't see it, spray some liquid into his eyes and shove the phone in the face...and ask them to bloody solve this...or else, you will bring your mafia the next time...

I think in these times of gender equality, you would have to do it to both a female and male staff member, just to be safe. (Joke)

But yea in all seriousness, report it, I've just told them to pass on the logs as I got a standard response of 'reset, device maintenance etc.' but will see if they actually do pass it on

Started another reddit thread in the hope it gets a bit more traction, feel free to repost, only just recreated a reddit account so don't have the karma to share in r/GalaxyS21 or r/Samsung - https://www.reddit.com/r/S21Ultra/comments/m5hopv

===

===

Fellas...I don't think either of the youtube influencers (MKBHD/ Mrwhosetheboss) would really bother making such a video on this issue. Think of the bigger picture...how many people are really raising this matter except for a few here on XDA. I haven't seen this issue on Reddit so far...How many S21U users have BBS/ GSam installed via adb to give them such detailed readings? A huge subset of the users is more bothered about getting the old data on to the phone than actually tinkering around with the battery settings. For this issue to reach critical mass, you are talking of numbers in the high hundred thousands...Then you can catch Lew's attention from unboxtherapy...

If anything, we should really pester Samsung for this rather than engaging these influencers...Post this on reddit and get max mileage since a lot of Samsung engineers are on reddit more...

This is just my thought..pls don't hold a gun on me...
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone