Question Cameraservice_worker partial wakelock

Search This thread

Orginator

Aug 15, 2011
Berlin
I sure hope that Samsung will let us decide whenever we want the "CameraService_worker" feature active or not.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210621-235642_GSam Battery Monitor Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20210621-235642_GSam Battery Monitor Pro.jpg
    752.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot_20210621-235646_GSam Battery Monitor Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20210621-235646_GSam Battery Monitor Pro.jpg
    583.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot_20210621-235653_GSam Battery Monitor Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20210621-235653_GSam Battery Monitor Pro.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 96

Orginator

Aug 15, 2011
Berlin
Approx 3% of the 32% battery you've used is from the camera wakelock, which is about 10-11%. Your stats are similar to what I was experiencing.
Yeah. So around 10% on full charge. Too much cost for nothing. My camera already rattles, even with this enabled. (I'm guessing that this only stops one of the cameras from making noise)

priyankjajmera

Jun 18, 2021
Hi,

I just bought the S21 Ultra a couple of days back with Verizon, as soon as I setup my phone, it was pushing an update (the latest June patch) but my phone is on May security patch so I did not take the update yet as I know the June patch has the camera wakelock battery drain issue.

I called Samsung to ask if they are aware of the issue, they said that it should be a Carrier specific issue, I told them lots of unlocked phones also have the same issue. But he said even unlocked phones have software updates that are pushed my carrier only so it is infact the carrier's fault.

What a joke his response was!! He also tried to sell Samsung care + to me saying that any issues I have, if I had Samsung care + then they can help better.

They are not even acknowledging the issue. I doubt if they will fix the issue soon.

Should I return my phone??

Also, just to confirm, which specific update brought the battery drain issue?

Thanks,
Priyank

Goku1992

Hi,

I just bought the S21 Ultra a couple of days back with Verizon, as soon as I setup my phone, it was pushing an update (the latest June patch) but my phone is on May security patch so I did not take the update yet as I know the June patch has the camera wakelock battery drain issue.

I called Samsung to ask if they are aware of the issue, they said that it should be a Carrier specific issue, I told them lots of unlocked phones also have the same issue. But he said even unlocked phones have software updates that are pushed my carrier only so it is infact the carrier's fault.

What a joke his response was!! He also tried to sell Samsung care + to me saying that any issues I have, if I had Samsung care + then they can help better.

They are not even acknowledging the issue. I doubt if they will fix the issue soon.

Thanks,
Priyank
The cameraservice_worker-partial-wakelock. Was there since the beginning...

Hi,

Thanks,
Priyank
Is it causing a significant battery drain on your phone personally?

Have you checked the amount of drain attributable to this wakelock with BBS or other battery monitoring apps?

ione2380

Oct 13, 2009
Brasov
Hi,

I just bought the S21 Ultra a couple of days back with Verizon, as soon as I setup my phone, it was pushing an update (the latest June patch) but my phone is on May security patch so I did not take the update yet as I know the June patch has the camera wakelock battery drain

You should update to June patch, as it's the best update ever for this phone.
No, you shouldn't return it.
The battery drain in an issue only if you walk all day with your phone on you.
Personally, I solved the problem by buying an lte gw3 and leaving my phone in place if I walk for longer.

Joloxx9

Jul 6, 2011
UK
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
It's 6 months after release. Bug was reported so many times and response is same, working as intended. Do you seriously think they will magically fix it?

They do not admit that there is a bug, without that they will do NOTHING.

tiliarou

Oct 13, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Don't except a fix anytime soon... This is samsung: you need 100 of user reports before they even start to acknowledge an issue. Then wait a few month for a fix, which might never come.
It's worth trying but this ****ing brand doesn't care unless it hurts sales

It's worth trying but this ****ing brand doesn't care unless it hurts sales
All big companies are the same. None of them are our friends, or do things because it's the right thing to do, or because of "courage" 😂

It's all sales and bottom lines. Everyone keeps threatening to stop buying Apple and Samsung, but they keep posting record profits every year.

There's no need for them to change. We lot sit and bicker on XDA, while the average Joe doesn't know or care about all this enthusiast grade anxiety we so carefully nurture... 😁

jigna

Dec 16, 2010
I was looking at the GSAM stats on my S21U vs S20+ (my partner's phone) and the "android system" % within "App Usage" is virtually the same. By this i mean, it's the same High CPU Usage time (in the hours), but my S21U will have a high Keep Awake time, whereas the S20+ doesn't have the cameraservice_wakelock triggering, so the Keep awake is much lower.

What I'm now thinking is that this wakelock is either:
1) Not a problem - yes it shows the stat on S21U and Note20U, but it has no effect on the phone OR
2) It IS a problem, due to sensors triggering the CPU, and it's happening across MORE phones than the S21U and Note20U

I know @dr.ketan investigated this and has developed a workaround/fix in his ROM, but I'm wondering if there's an actual difference IRL

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, so today (thanks sunday) dig this issue further as too many discussion was going on but never experienced it as my S21U is just spared device and only using for development purpose.
    There are some good and bad news.
    • This seems intentional and to prevent camera motor sound while device isn't being used. I have doubt samsung gonna fix this
    • There can be some workaround/partial fix and may some good fix
    • Partial fix may have some compromisation like disable sensor at all while screen is off. This can be achieved with external app. Again there may be little drain for this app (Though should be negligible). App needs root.
    • Some system level fix (custom ROM) can be tried, I have tested one and result is attached in below screenshot. C=control (with stock) T= Test. In both tests, I couldn't find CamerService_wakelocks.
    Teseted1 for 9-10min walk + 2-3 min standby + some shaking - No wakelock detected
    Tested 2 with some semi manual changes - 5 min walk + some shake - No wake lock detected
    Restore stock and (control) and wakelocks returns.
    Important things to test are :
    • How much this makes difference practically
    • Does this breakes any camera/other important fuctions (Specifically when system level changes made)

Main drawback is either of method needs root. Still looking if some workaround there for non root but chances are thin.
    Yet needs some more and thorugh testing. Let's see how time permits.

Screenshot_20210606-201752.jpg Screenshot_20210606-224203.jpg Screenshot_20210606-223335.jpg Screenshot_20210606-222556.jpg
    Though not perfect but we can write some scripts (meanwhile Samsung fix it) that can turn off sensors while screen is off and vice versa when screen turns on.
    Which app to use or where to go to disable this wakelock?
    It's under development (testing) phase.
    Today tested effect of fix and with Sensor off method (Tool with Auto off sensor when screen is off) drain was nearly 2-3%, similar to turning off sensor manually (Benefit of fix is, it will do it on it's own, you don't needs to turn sensor On/off manually)
    Another fix is pretty cool (ROM level), No wakelocks at all. nearly 1 hr (10-15 min walk, 2-3 min screen on and rest of time in pocket in sitting position) battery drain was only 1% (attached screenshot). This fix doen't needs QS tile too.
    Unfortunately both needs root.