can a brand new phone ip68 phone get Water damage ( xperia 1 ii )

Search This thread

SinclairLen

Aug 12, 2022
Sony Xperia C
Xiaomi Mi 3
so i just got my xperia 1ii today, i was wiping the screen with a bit of wet cloth before sticking on the screen protector, then i saw mist on the front facing camera, next thing i know it screen starts to flicker and turn green, then it died, it was a sad day for me, is it possible for water to get in an ip68 phone when brand new?

it was also kinda my fault for using wet cloth, but like all my other ip68 phones this never happened to me T _ T

SinclairLen

Aug 12, 2022
Sony Xperia C
Xiaomi Mi 3
I am not sure about Sony's warranty on user error.

There is nothing in the box stating anything about warranty. I bought it online but there is a physical shop that I collected the phone from.

I left it in a bag of rice for 10 hours but the screen still turn up black screen with some odd lines and shut itself down, I feel so dumb for causing this, I usually do the same way of installing screen protectors for my Z3+,Z5 and XZ and water never got in, I feel so embarrassed and unlucky T_ T

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Rice Doesn't Work!
The phone needs to be powered down and the battery disconnected asap. Otherwise it will likely be destroyed if it isn't already. It needs to then be completely dried out.
-or-
Battle it out with Sony.

Obviously the first option is incompatible with the second option. I'd send the mess back to Sony, they may or may not suck it up easily.
Sony is a pain to deal with...

SinclairLen

Aug 12, 2022
Sony Xperia C
Xiaomi Mi 3
Rice Doesn't Work!
The phone needs to be powered down and the battery disconnected asap. Otherwise it will likely be destroyed if it isn't already. It needs to then be completely dried out.
-or-
Battle it out with Sony.

Obviously the first option is incompatible with the second option. I'd send the mess back to Sony, they may or may not suck it up easily.
Sony is a pain to deal with...

Sony is hard to deal with, ya so I've heard, too bad stores are not open today or tomorrow need to wait till Monday.

damn it I bought rice for nothing.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Sony is hard to deal with, ya so I've heard, too bad stores are not open today or tomorrow need to wait till Monday.

damn it I bought rice for nothing.
I know Sony well, as I have torn into them multiple occasions. They are rotten to the core.
That however doesn't mean that a loose chainsaw can't find an artery🤣
I'm one of the few customers who's gotten a refund check and spoke with a VP in Teterboro NJ. They are slime... the VP's are the worst; a midlevel manager is more likely to help you if you slip through one of the cracks in customer support.
If they take back without trouble, fine.
Otherwise better buckle up Dorothy, it's going be a rough ride.

Did you use a MC or Visa to make the purchase? If so you got leverage...
Send unit back for refund of replacement and do a charge back through the bank.
Do you want another? If not be clear you want a full refund.

SinclairLen

Aug 12, 2022
Sony Xperia C
Xiaomi Mi 3
Here's the thing I live in Malaysia, I bought it online, and these guys are a small retail start-ups.
They Imported the device from Hong Kong cause we are kinda short on phones that are price above $600. Malaysians don't really spend much on buying new phones hence the difficulty to find high end phones locally, especially Sony, not a popular pick in recent times.

Visa here doesn't even provide any leverage hahaha.
would try to send it back to their local store tomorrow.
I would actually like to get replace to be honest, but some how I have doubts in my mind saying that its gonna be super thought ride.

• Sad
Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Have the rear cover removed, disconnect the battery*. Is there visible water in it?
Get out as much as possible.
You need a warm, dry room. Lay on side with a high volume fan on it. Let sit for a couple days.

If you can get anhydrous isopropyl alcohol** carefully flush with that to remove the water. Use care as if it gets between the glass and display it will leave a water mark. Then dry as above.
All connectors, everything must be 100% dry before you reconnect the battery. The room must be dry, heat drives out moisture; use a hot box if you must. Keep temperature under 110F. This may save it...

*the sooner the better.
** never use methanol or isopropyl that isn't at least 96% alcohol. Never use any solvent including isopropyl alcohol with LCD display, it will poison it!

SinclairLen

Aug 12, 2022
Sony Xperia C
Xiaomi Mi 3
I got some silica gel put in an air tight jar, its been sitting over night since yesterday, hope it turns on tomorrow, or else I am gonna feel so awkward when I bring it to their store.

Damn I've never brought a Xperia phone or any phone in for water damage or any sort of claim warranty before, its giving me the shakes.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I got some silica gel put in an air tight jar, its been sitting over night since yesterday, hope it turns on tomorrow, or else I am gonna feel so awkward when I bring it to their store.

Damn I've never brought a Xperia phone or any phone in for water damage or any sort of claim warranty before, its giving me the shakes.
That will do nothing. Do Not power it up.

Reactions: SinclairLen

SinclairLen

Aug 12, 2022
Sony Xperia C
Xiaomi Mi 3
[UPDATE]

So I brought it to the store, there was a bit of resistance there, but in the end they allow me to bring it back in for a check.

They say hopefully there is no red on the water damage sticker, cause if there is, they cant help, but if its just faulty they can replace the phone.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
You'd be surprised at what silica dessicant beads can do.
Heat drives out moisture. You need air circulation as well for best results. With a sealed phone that isn't going to cut it.
First any free standing water needs to be dumped out... that's sort of funny, but true.

If you every dealt with flood damaged cars the magnitude of the problem becomes clear. Powered on circuits can be damaged irreparably in a short amount of time. A lot depends on the conductivity of the water and how long it sits there. If the battery was disconnected the car may be salvageable.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Heat drives out moisture. You need air circulation as well for best results. With a sealed phone that isn't going to cut it.
First any free standing water needs to be dumped out... that's sort of funny, but true.

If you every dealt with flood damaged cars the magnitude of the problem becomes clear. Powered on circuits can be damaged irreparably in a short amount of time. A lot depends on the conductivity of the water and how long it sits there. If the battery was disconnected the car may be salvageable.
Heat can help but the point is to make the air inside the bag extremely dry. Air readily absorbs moisture, which eventually evaporates. Very true about keeping everything turned off; while deionized water is non conductive and won't bother anything, most accidental spills and drops are in contaminated water which not only can be conductive, but may leave behind trace elements as it evaporates.

Still, I've had quite good success with desiccant rescue bags.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Heat can help but the point is to make the air inside the bag extremely dry. Air readily absorbs moisture, which eventually evaporates. Very true about keeping everything turned off; while deionized water is non conductive and won't bother anything, most accidental spills and drops are in contaminated water which not only can be conductive, but may leave behind trace elements as it evaporates.

I've cleaned thousands of circuit boards over to remove the flux. Sticking them in a sealed container with dry air is one thing I never did to dry them. Anhydrous sopropyl alcohol is an excellent cleaning/drying agent for most electronics, but needs a dry room to avoid condensation as it evaporates. Dry warm/hot air with high air flow is best for both isopropyl and water. Most times I also used compressed air to knock off the solvent/water beads then dry the pcbs. A high air flow blower of a large shop vac was another favorite for drying them.

Heat drives out moisture ie hot box. Hot boxes have been used for over a century especially in humid climates to preserve surgical instruments, camera equipment and electronics. Works regardless of the outside humidity. The box or cabinet is sealed but not completely air tight.
The surgery room at Pennhurst actually had it's surgery instrument cabinets lined in the back with steam heated radiators, circa about 1900.
They had large glass doors.

You could vacuum dry it though as this be very effective but again the cover should to be removed at the minimum. It's easy to make a small vacuum chamber, the vacuum pump doesn't need to pull a high vacuum to work well at a warm temperature.

Desiccant bags are best used to keep sealed items dry rather than to remove water per se.
I use them to protect lens.

As for the conductivity of the water it's a crap shoot. It could be mixed with sweat, be acidic, or otherwise contaminated.
I used RO water to flush my Buds case when it fell into a full cup of coffee, cream and sugar. The RO water to chase the sugar, then anhydrous isopropyl alcohol to chase the cream and water. Allowed it to dry in the sun and in a room for a day with the spot welded battery in it. I had the case torn apart and flushed within 5 minutes. 2 years later it still works normally. I drank the coffee after I cleaned the case, perfect day🤣

• Haha
Reactions: SinclairLen

SinclairLen

Aug 12, 2022
Sony Xperia C
Xiaomi Mi 3
Silica gel works to a degree on my phone, the screen was able to turn on with the start-up logo but as soon it turns on it restarts itself.
I guess two day wasn't enough, especially on phones that are partially sealed, but I guess its true, not all phones are made equal when it comes to waterproof, I remember my XZ was completely waterproof, the swimming pool kind of waterproof.

Its like buying a lottery when you get a phone that fails its waterproof.
still waiting for update from the seller hahaha.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yes it might.
    That's a AMOLED display not a LCD...
    Sony use since xperia 1 an Oled display and not Amoled.
    You'd be surprised at what silica dessicant beads can do.

I've cleaned thousands of circuit boards over to remove the flux. Sticking them in a sealed container with dry air is one thing I never did to dry them. Anhydrous sopropyl alcohol is an excellent cleaning/drying agent for most electronics, but needs a dry room to avoid condensation as it evaporates. Dry warm/hot air with high air flow is best for both isopropyl and water. Most times I also used compressed air to knock off the solvent/water beads then dry the pcbs. A high air flow blower of a large shop vac was another favorite for drying them.

Heat drives out moisture ie hot box. Hot boxes have been used for over a century especially in humid climates to preserve surgical instruments, camera equipment and electronics. Works regardless of the outside humidity. The box or cabinet is sealed but not completely air tight.
    The surgery room at Pennhurst actually had it's surgery instrument cabinets lined in the back with steam heated radiators, circa about 1900.
    They had large glass doors.

You could vacuum dry it though as this be very effective but again the cover should to be removed at the minimum. It's easy to make a small vacuum chamber, the vacuum pump doesn't need to pull a high vacuum to work well at a warm temperature.

Desiccant bags are best used to keep sealed items dry rather than to remove water per se.
    I use them to protect lens.

As for the conductivity of the water it's a crap shoot. It could be mixed with sweat, be acidic, or otherwise contaminated.
    I used RO water to flush my Buds case when it fell into a full cup of coffee, cream and sugar. The RO water to chase the sugar, then anhydrous isopropyl alcohol to chase the cream and water. Allowed it to dry in the sun and in a room for a day with the spot welded battery in it. I had the case torn apart and flushed within 5 minutes. 2 years later it still works normally. I drank the coffee after I cleaned the case, perfect day🤣
    Silica gel works to a degree on my phone, the screen was able to turn on with the start-up logo but as soon it turns on it restarts itself.
    I guess two day wasn't enough, especially on phones that are partially sealed, but I guess its true, not all phones are made equal when it comes to waterproof, I remember my XZ was completely waterproof, the swimming pool kind of waterproof.

Its like buying a lottery when you get a phone that fails its waterproof.
    still waiting for update from the seller hahaha.
    It needs to be completely dry before power up.
    It should have had the battery disconnected because the power controller circuits aren't completely powered down even when off.
    The longer it stays in that state the greater the chances the damage will be permanent. Corrosion never sleeps.

Unless it's a dedicated underwater camera or enclosure never assume it will be watertight.
    Even these enclosures have extra room for water leakage. If you saw the seals in these cams you be more cautious. They usually work pretty good but they can fail straight from the box or at any time... as you have witnessed. I keep my phones bone dry in spite of their water ratings.